College Games -- WEEK 1

Paradis

32 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is not an original opinion by any means, but each year the gap widens between the top few programs and the rest of college football and it really is not great for the sport .  

Oregon might not be very good ultimately, but #11 vs #3 used to be reason to get excited and tune in.  Now these types of games are just blood baths and not entertaining for those without particular rooting interest in those teams.

Now, for those type of competitive, back and forth, glorious type football games you have to tune in to games that ultimately have zero implications on anything.

I think one of the benefits of the expanded playoff could be more competitive balance.  The way things stand now, kids who have options know they can go to 1 of 4 or 5 programs to have a chance at the playoff.  Once all conferences are represented, maybe it will balance the recruiting playing field somewhat as there will be more opportunities to pay for a Championship.

At least that is what I hope will happen.  I guess time will tell.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Typical Bo Nix, the guy is just terrible.

I feel bad for him, he clearly knew he wasnt good enough to play in that conference, leaves to get an easier go of things and get Georgia week 1 in his new starting job.  lol.  Poor kid, he is terrible though, that's just fact.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is not an original opinion by any means, but each year the gap widens between the top few programs and the rest of college football and it really is not great for the sport .  

Oregon might not be very good ultimately, but #11 vs #3 used to be reason to get excited and tune in.  Now these types of games are just blood baths and not entertaining for those without particular rooting interest in those teams.

Now, for those type of competitive, back and forth, glorious type football games you have to tune in to games that ultimately have zero implications on anything.

This is a bad situation for a team in transition, it's the same reason I'm scared about tonights Florida vs. Utah game but this is reversed, Oregon playing in Atlanta vs the defending Champs. It's hard for first year Head Coaches to know what they have until live bullets start firing but to have a match up vs the Dawgs and Smart, I took the points laughing, this was obvious.  It's almost not fair, especially in Oregon's case because while they had a few nice wins last year, they also got the breaks beat off them a few times.  And they're clearly ranked this high because of Bo Nix, which is bonkers, the kid is straight trash.  

Sorry Notre Dame fans, you're next. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think one of the benefits of the expanded playoff could be more competitive balance.  The way things stand now, kids who have options know they can go to 1 of 4 or 5 programs to have a chance at the playoff.  Once all conferences are represented, maybe it will balance the recruiting playing field somewhat as there will be more opportunities to pay for a Championship.

At least that is what I hope will happen.  I guess time will tell.

I think it absolutely does and hopefully NIL can level the playing field a bit as well, though I could see the deep pockets benefiting the most but still, but I think your point is valid as it should give some lesser brands more exposure.

As bad as Nix has been -- his two early picks set the tone -- this Oregon defense as been horrific.  Dan Lanning is a defensive guy, and maybe you have to give im a mulligan for week 1, but they have not covered anyone.  All these easy pitches and catches.  Oregon offense had some decent moments early, but this defense has crapped the bed for 3 straight quarters so far.

This is not an 11th ranked football team.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

ND OSU is the game to watch this week. 

Which players are you guys watching this season that the Jets would be interested in. There’s a bunch of QBs, WRs and RBs to watch but the Jets should be ok there.

Pretty much any position except RB, WR and maybe CB. 

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Pretty much any position except RB, WR and maybe CB. 

CB will be interesting.  Reed can play outside and in, so it will depend on how MCII develops.  If he’s fine in the slot, I think we’re good.  If he struggles, I can see another outside CB being selected.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

CB will be interesting.  Reed can play outside and in, so it will depend on how MCII develops.  If he’s fine in the slot, I think we’re good.  If he struggles, I can see another outside CB being selected.

Definitely. The safeties are hopefully solid, but can definitely be improved upon. LB has question marks. DL has some young talent, but we don't know what Jermaine is yet and its now or never for Quinnen. 

I'm ok with the interior of the OL, but the tackles could be a major question mark going into next off season. I like the tight ends on the roster, but I wouldn't pass on Mayer from Notre Dame if he was available. I'm excited about the RB and WR rooms. I'm not derailing this thread with a discussion of the other position I haven't mentioned. 

• Sympathy 1