College Football: 12 Team Playoff Approved for 2026

Lith

Cheapens the regular season a little bit, but should be awesome to have 11 post-season playoff games.  A chance to see other teams than the usual suspects in the playoff. 

And maybe it will lead to elimination of some of the lower level Bowl games that nobody cares about.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

12?  Woof, 6 or 8 would have been fine imo.  oh well 2026 is a long ways off for some of us older dudes.

ESPN says it could happen as soon as 2024.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34509443/board-managers-decide-12-team-college-football-playoff-sources-say

Board decides on 12-team College Football Playoff as soon as '24, sources say

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

12?  Woof, 6 or 8 would have been fine imo.  oh well 2026 is a long ways off for some of us older dudes.

Agreed. 

45 minutes ago, Claymation said:

That more or less solidifies Notre Dame will remain independent.

Notre Dame never gets the bye.

Top four seeds always go to conference champions even if the Irish go 12-0.  

9 minutes ago, faba said:

All about the money and how to make more money

Not really. Its essentially the same amount of games that always get played, bowl games just morph into playoff games. Yes there will be a lot bigger ad revenue, but ultimately the decision was made because 4 teams was bullsh*t and most fans hated it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 is a big jump from 4.  I thought they'd do 8.  This should be interesting, at the very least, it's not the same 3-4 teams but I feel like going to 12 just means you're inviting 4-6 teams to get their asses handed to them, lol, but we'll see I guess.  This had to be done in some fashion.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

6 would’ve been perfect

should be some reward for being the top team or 2

12 is way too many 

I dont understand why people think this? 

The NFL has 32 teams and 14 make the playoffs. Almost 50% of teams and people are fine with it.

Division 1 College football has 130 teams and now 12 make the playoffs. 9% of teams and some people are up in arms. 

How in the world is that too many? 

This has been a LONG time coming. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

12 is a big jump from 4.  I thought they'd do 8.  This should be interesting, at the very least, it's not the same 3-4 teams but I feel like going to 12 just means you're inviting 4-6 teams to get their asses handed to them, lol, but we'll see I guess.  This had to be done in some fashion.

Let’s go Wolfpack??? Maybe???? ?‍♂️ 

Dunno what to make of this. In theory its a well deserved opportunity for programs who aren’t OSU and Bama to play.. but what does this mean the value in winning your conference?  What if we lose pac12 and big12 over the next 10 years. I love the idea of UCF getting a playoff appearance but history says they get snuffed out in cupcake fashion by top 5s

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Dunno what to make of this. In theory its a well deserved opportunity for programs who aren’t OSU and Bama to play.. but what does this mean the value in winning your conference?  What if we lose pac12 and big12 over the next 10 years. I love the idea of UCF getting a playoff appearance but history says they get snuffed out in cupcake fashion by top 5s

I have to assume there are some guaranteed "in" parameters, like winning your conference, the more interesting piece will be how the rest get in.  By committee?  Or do they look at division champs within the power conferences?  I do assume this is a step toward a Power 4 vs. Power 5, for sure.  Who's conference gets the oust or becomes consumed?  Idk but I feel like that is inevitable as well. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

F**k. Yes. 

Gives hope to the small school Cinderella team to make the dance. All in favor. Way overdue. 

The thing is if they just went to 8 this would take care of it.  To me this is just going to shoe horn bigger programs in who do not deserve to be in it at all.

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Cheapens the regular season a little bit

Not at all in my book.  Under the current system, only like 6 teams have any shot at a national title and we all pretty much know who at least 3 of those teams will be before the season begins in any given year.

This opens things up quite a bit.  Even conferences who have "down years" will still produce a playoff team.  Meaning nearly every conference game in every conference will matter.  And SEC teams trying to gobble up at-large spots will make that conference an absolute war (even more than it is currently) year-in and year-out.

This really only cheapens the regular season for maybe a handful of teams.  It makes things a lot more interesting for the other 125 schools.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The thing is if they just went to 8 this would take care of it.  To me this is just going to shoe horn bigger programs in who do not deserve to be in it at all.

Win your conference or dominate/go undefeated against a decent schedule as a non-power conference team and you deserve a shot.  Doesn't matter if you get blown out when you get there.  You earned your spot. 

And its a huge, program-changing deal just getting there for some schools.  Much like it is for the NCAA Basketball Tournament:  Just getting there gives your program a big boost.  Winning even 1 game while you're there can put you on the map.  

And giving the top 4 a bye is a better system than the 8-team format, too.  Adds extra incentive to the "locked in" playoff teams to finish out their regular season stretch strong.  Otherwise the regular season would indeed get cheapened a bit for the elite programs.

This is all good for the sport.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

It won't happen every time.  Especially if a program like that becomes the Gonzaga or Butler of college football, using the playoff appearances as a jumping off point to take their program to the next level.

A little bit of parity will help the sport.  I think most of us are a bit tired of seeing Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State and 2 "rotating" wild card teams being the typical playoff squads year in and year out.  It's been LONG overdue for more opportunities to be provided to crash the party.  Even if those kinds of upsets/deep playoff runs by a non-powerhouse will be somewhat rare.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peebag said:

Not sure why the top 25 teams just break off and do their own thing. Just mimic the NFL and rake in all the cash.

They will eventually.  Just need to consolidate and get 2-3 bigtime conference commissioners on board and it’s inevitable.  

The NCAA has no real power so they can’t do anything about it, either.