Do you think the Jet CAN win week one?

Maxman

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Any given Sunday. They absolutely have a chance. Vegas thinks so, too. The money line carries the implied odds of Jets winning of 25%. Which isn’t an outrageous long shot.

+1 of course they can win? 

it’s just highly unlikely (starting OLine yet to gel, Defense ability to stop drives and TEs isn’t encouraging, we’re starting a 37 yo QB, Lamar Jackson isn’t on our team but will play in the game, etc)

Yes.

I don't expect it, but look at the situation -

• As of right now, it looks like Mike Davis is the starting RB for Baltimore. Maybe Dobbins gets the 'good-to-go' for week one, but I doubt he'll be full speed and certainly on a pitch count.
  • Ronnie Stanley, the Ravens left tackle, hasn't really played football in two years - the rest of the offensive line is mediocre other than Linderbaum, and he's had a foot injury for most of training camp.
  • There are no receivers we fear on that roster. 

There is a situation here where the Ravens cannot run the ball like they hope to and outside of a few superstar plays from Lamar and Mark Andrews, they're inconsistent and leave opportunities on the field.

In that scenario, if we can establish the run and stay away from being forced to challenge that Ravens' secondary directly, we can win.

Can't say I'm optimistic, but this will be the rare 2022 NFL game that's decided on who can establish the run... and right now, we have the better offensive line and runningbacks on paper. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, doitny said:

yes, but if Flacco starts. i dont think were doomed like some here do if he starts. we will be screwed if Zach starts after only a week of practice. 

this isnt anti Zach. this is getting him ready to play and not just playing him cause he is healthy. kid needs more than one week of practice.

Once the regular season starts, the projected starter each week gets the lion share of the snaps in practice to install the game plan and get ready for Sunday.  

Only if Zach is starting does he gets the reps.  

So Zach getting more than a week of practice is a red herring.  Can't happen.

• Upvote 1

Surely they can win.  It's the NFL and the Ravens aren't exactly a power house.  The NFL is a funny thing and teams fall and thrive YoY all the time.

Now, if ZW plays, I believe, Jets are more likely to win than not.

If Flacco is the starter it's more of an uphill battle but it's absolutely possible - especially considering Flacco against the Ravens - He might actually care about winning.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think we win with ZW (which goes without saying).

With Flacco, if we can eliminate the turnovers and make this a field position battle, there is a smallish chance we can contain some of the big plays by Lamar Jackson and keep things to field goals.  Maybe Breece/Corey/Moore can make a big play or two on our own (kinda hoping for a Moore breakout).

Week1 of the NFL is really sloppy and usually favors the established teams.  The Ravens as far as I know, like last year, have had a lot of roster turnover and are probably not quite where they want to be.  So I don't think its a given they play anywhere near their best.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Surely they can win.  It's the NFL and the Ravens aren't exactly a power house.  The NFL is a funny thing and teams fall and thrive YoY all the time.

Now, if ZW plays, I believe, Jets are more likely to win than not.

If Flacco is the starter it's more of an uphill battle but it's absolutely possible - especially considering Flacco against the Ravens - He might actually care about winning.

Sounds like you should bet the farm on the Jets taking the points.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I totally feel like Robert Saleh’s 32nd ranked defense will outright dominate an offense led by a newly-shredded Lamar Jackson in a contract year.

They will likely get rolled by an established, well-coached Ravens squad. At best, the Jets gel and grow as the season goes on. Almost certainly the team needs to come together over the course of the season. So many new names on jerseys.