Do you think the Jet CAN win week one?

Maxman

37 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This defensive game plan is going to go a long way in shaping my opinion of our coaching staff going forward. 

They will finally have all their preferred defensive weapons at their disposal. By all accounts, they have a large rotation of DL who can get off the ball and get after the QB. Should have a secondary on par with the opposing pass catching group, if not an edge.  However, if they just pin their ears back and try to go after Lamar he will run for 150 yards.

Can the staff and players bring the energy of a new season but show extreme discipline schematically?  We shall see. 

I think it’ll be more on talent than scheme, imo. Saleh’s 49ers scheme held the Ravens down pretty well in 2019, but that team’s LBs were fast as hell. Our LBs are slugs compared to those guys, and I’d bet it’ll be the #1 point of emphasis this off-season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

They can win, but they’re going to have to use all their weapons and speed and spread the ball around.  Use hall, wilson and moore all over the field, quick outs to the TEs, don’t rely on the running game which doesn’t seem to be clicking yet.  The jets can’t win with a TOP of 22 minutes, they’re going to need good play calling to move the chains.  They won’t win with a conservative game play running on first downs.  

2 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Absolutely they can win. A few things have to fall in their favor, but it can definitely happen. I think the Ravens are a little overrated around here.

They can both be overrated and a terrible matchup for the Jets.

I just don't see how we can stop Lamar from picking up 90 yards and 2 TDs on the ground.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

They can both be overrated and a terrible matchup for the Jets.

I just don't see how we can stop Lamar from picking up 90 yards and 2 TDs on the ground.

That’s the thing, I don’t think they’re a “terrible” match up for the Jets. Last season? 90/2 was a given, at least. This year, I don’t think so. Will the Ravens win? Probably. The Jets CAN win, which is what the thread is about. This is a much more talented team than last year. I don’t think it’s out of bounds to think the Jets will compete in nearly every game they play. I still think they are a 6-8 win team on paper, but weirder things have happened.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who tf is Hal? I asked you if you think the D line will be good or not?

I was responding to your point that our DL will manhandle the Ravens OL because they have a rookie center. That argument cuts worse against our DL.

I made no comment on what our DL can or will be this season.

Week 1 at Home, they will to beat the Ravens. Jets must stop the run and key on Jackson and hit him again and again. Hit him low when tackling and on fake runs and lets see how the ankle is doing.

Our play makers are better than the Ravens except for Jackson. Ravens were middle of the pack last year on offense and defense. Only TE Andrews is a concern. New secondary should contain WRs if Saleh mixes coverages sometimes to confuse Jackson and get some picks.

We will know right after the first few possessions in the 1st quarter if the Jets defensive line will hold up.

12 minutes ago, the Claw said:

That’s the thing, I don’t think they’re a “terrible” match up for the Jets. Last season? 90/2 was a given, at least. This year, I don’t think so. Will the Ravens win? Probably. The Jets CAN win, which is what the thread is about. This is a much more talented team than last year. I don’t think it’s out of bounds to think the Jets will compete in nearly every game they play. I still think they are a 6-8 win team on paper, but weirder things have happened.

They are primed to attack where we are weakest. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yeah, but next time they met, Judge took Max deep. Probably time to change back to Emerson Boozer but I find it very funny!

they won't meet again this year. by this time next week, the Yanks won't even be in 1st anymore the way there playing. and by next year Judge wont even be a Yankee. 

i think we dodge a bullet last night. seems like Max is going to be ok

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

They are primed to attack where we are weakest. 

True, but the same can be said for the opposite. They don’t really have a secondary that can keep up with the receiving threats on this team. This doesn’t mean that the Jets CAN’T win. It’s just really unlikely, lol.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Not will they, but can they. Do they have a shot if they execute and play a good game?

Or do you have this one down as a definite loss no matter what they do?

Yes. People seem to forget a couple things about the Ravens. 

First, yeah they started like 8-2 but if you watched their games they were really not that great and should have lost several including the game that Tucker made a 67 yard FG to win

Second, even before his injury Lamar's effectiveness was clearly waning. There is a reason he is not signed yet to a long term contract. I expect him to continue his slide. Every season his stats are going down

Third, our roster is way better than people think right now because it is so young. What were our biggest weaknesses last year? TE, LB and secondary. Well we went from a distant 32nd at TE to a Top 10 group. Our secondary is not very strong with the additions of Sauce, Reed, Whitehead and 2nd seasons for MC2 and Echols. We got Kwon for LB which improves it a bit but with the much much better secondary and the additions of JJ, Lawson, Clemons at rusher we can mimimize the effects of a mediocre LB group.

This is not even to mention a much stronger RB room with Hall and BAM, upgraded receiver group with 2nd year Moore, Wilson, Berrios continued development and Conklin, Uzomah and Cager

We have ? at OL (tackle) and QB but even that Zach is surrounded by so much talent he would have to be Hackenberg 2.0 to not improve dramatically. 

And we have depth now as well as evidenced by 11 of our players being signed and 7 claimed from final cuts.

Call me a homer but I think we are a favorite to win, people just don't see it yet

19 minutes ago, the Claw said:

True, but the same can be said for the opposite. They don’t really have a secondary that can keep up with the receiving threats on this team. This doesn’t mean that the Jets CAN’T win. It’s just really unlikely, lol.

Let’s just say I have a lot more faith in their attack to exploit our weakness than the reverse.