Jump to content

Do you think the Jet CAN win week one?


Maxman
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, doitny said:

yes, but if Flacco starts. i dont think were doomed like some here do if he starts. we will be screwed if Zach starts after only a week of practice. 

this isnt anti Zach. this is getting him ready to play and not just playing him cause he is healthy. kid needs more than one week of practice.

Put Streveler in at the start of the 4th Quarter! 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, sadly. We are going to see Duvernay and Bateman absolutely torching us all over, and Andrews making grabs, and LaMar making incredibly frustrating drive-sustaining plays to keep our offense nowhere near the field. Then they'll just keep grinding and eating clock. We have Joe Flacco, who is good for a pick or two, some overthrows, and overall dink and dunking that just won't be enough.  The Jets almost always disappoint on day one unless they are playing the Lions or someone. I see it as almost unwinnable. But there's a slight slight chance.

If they were serious about winning in September, they would have added another QB instead of Joe Flacco.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

No, sadly. We are going to see Duvernay and Bateman absolutely torching us all over, and Andrews making grabs, and LaMar making incredibly frustrating drive-sustaining plays to keep our offense nowhere near the field. Then they'll just keep grinding and eating clock. We have Joe Flacco, who is good for a pick or two, some overthrows, and overall dink and dunking that just won't be enough.  The Jets almost always disappoint on day one unless they are playing the Lions or someone. I see it as almost unwinnable. But there's a slight slight chance.

If they were serious about winning in September, they would have added another QB instead of Joe Flacco.

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

No, sadly. We are going to see Duvernay and Bateman absolutely torching us all over, and Andrews making grabs, and LaMar making incredibly frustrating drive-sustaining plays to keep our offense nowhere near the field. Then they'll just keep grinding and eating clock. We have Joe Flacco, who is good for a pick or two, some overthrows, and overall dink and dunking that just won't be enough.  The Jets almost always disappoint on day one unless they are playing the Lions or someone. I see it as almost unwinnable. But there's a slight slight chance.

If they were serious about winning in September, they would have added another QB instead of Joe Flacco.

Damn - maybe I should skip the games and just wait for the offseason again - when is the draft? :-)

At this point we have 2 backup QBs and they are counting against the cap. Once the season starts Flacco is guaranteed his money - I doubt he goes anywhere. While I am skeptical for the win, I sure hope the team is capable and keeps the game reasonably close.

Best chance for a September win is week 2. I don't expect the Jets to start strong, especially the D, but we can hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jgb said:

Oh, I think Ravens are going to dominate us, personally. Even if one is wildly optimistic with the direction of the Jets, this is just a tough first week draw. 

I see the Jets losing by 10 points, with the Jets scoring a garbage touchdown late in the game.   My final score:  Ravens 27  Jets 17.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do they have a chance? Sure it’s the NFL…however:
 

They will be out coached that’s a guarantee. It’s’ Bully ball time on both lines. They will get pushed around. I don’t care who plays QB.
 

On D it’s an Awful matchup vs a complex run gm. Guys will be out of position all day on D. Balt will in turn load the box and stuff the run. Lay the 6.5 easy money 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Surely they can win.  It's the NFL and the Ravens aren't exactly a power house.  The NFL is a funny thing and teams fall and thrive YoY all the time.

Now, if ZW plays, I believe, Jets are more likely to win than not.

If Flacco is the starter it's more of an uphill battle but it's absolutely possible - especially considering Flacco against the Ravens - He might actually care about winning.

You have a lot more faith in Zach then I do then. I am the complete opposite. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes. This is the NFL. It's rare that any team cannot win a given game.

I think the Ravens are going to be a very good team. I think they'll win the AFC North. I think Lamar Jackson is going to have a very good, remind everyone how dynamic he is contract season.

But really, none of us know. They could be a middling 8-9 team plagued by injuries who are caught off guard by a Jets team that has dramatically improved its talent and changed things up a bit scheme wise.

Personally I think we lose, but I wouldn't be shocked if we win.

I think this game is actually a pretty good litmus test. If we can hang with the Ravens in a competitive game I think it's a good sign for this season even if we lose. If we get boatraced and lose by like 17+ I think it's a good sign this will be a long season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets front seven is uniquely designed in that not only are they—to a man—painfully unathletic, they’re also all bad against the run. A run-stop grade of 65 is roughly average-to-good. Here are the Jets grades against the run from last season:

Quinnen Williams: 59

CJ Mosley: 38.5

Quincy Williams: 41.7

Nathan Shepherd: 46.8

Sheldon Rankins: 34.4

If the Ravens want to run outside, they can do that because we are slow. If they want to run it up the middle, they can do that too because our DTs are doormats. And who covers Mark Andrews? Sauce? 

Painfully wrong.

Carl Lawson on the edge is nasty, JFM is kicking inside more often & he provides above average athleticism (RAS: 8.3) . Add in Solomon Thomas who has a RAD score of 9.71, Jacob Martin has an excellent first step, linebackers also contribute to run support, right? So there’s the addition of Kwon who flys around sideline to sideline all game & Jordan Whitehead who can play the run too from the safety position.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Painfully wrong.

Carl Lawson on the edge is nasty, JFM is kicking inside more often & he provides above average athleticism (RAS: 8.3) . Add in Solomon Thomas who has a RAD score of 9.71, Jacob Martin has an excellent first step, linebackers also contribute to run support, right? So there’s the addition of Kwon who flys around sideline to sideline all game & Jordan Whitehead who can play the run too from the safety position.

Stiffs. The lot of them.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Stiffs. The lot of them.

But did you see what they did in the pre season games? (Lol just like last year)

 

NY Jets, defending off season champions going on for over 50 consecutive years now.

 

I wish they’d just win games, meaningful  regular season games. They’re already patting themselves on the back for doing, nothing. Again. I’ll believe it when I see it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets have never beaten the Ravens lol. And they always play the Jets tough.

 

can the Jets defense stop the screen pass or the draw play this year? They  couldn’t all last year. The Jets defense and the coordinator are my biggest concern this year.

If the Jets get off to a good start in the game and take a lead early I think they can win. But they didn’t get off to a good start in any games last year or in the pre season this year. So we shall see.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, BP said:

The Jets have never beaten the Ravens lol. And they always play the Jets tough.

 

can the Jets defense stop the screen pass or the draw play this year? They  couldn’t all last year. The Jets defense and the coordinator are my biggest concern this year.

If the Jets get off to a good start in the game and take a lead early I think they can win. But they didn’t get off to a good start in any games last year or in the pre season this year. So we shall see.

I think Whitehead at SS will be a difference maker in those areas.  Alexander with Quincy and Mosley should improve things as well.  Even if the RB's/TE's get past the linebackers, the DB's should eliminate long/scoring plays.  So much potential to turn things around.  The only thing we don't know yet is will they execute?  I sure hope so.  I'm so tired of being disappointed and heartbroken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, BP said:

But did you see what they did in the pre season games? (Lol just like last year)

 

NY Jets, defending off season champions going on for over 50 consecutive years now.

 

I wish they’d just win games, meaningful  regular season games. They’re already patting themselves on the back for doing, nothing. Again. I’ll believe it when I see it.

They all got nuked in the preseason! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not optimistic as I see the strength of our D (D-line) hamstrung a bit by Lamar’s ability to scramble.  Our O will put up points, but not enough to win the game.  Not a good match-up - week 1

30-20 Ravens

Edited by Greg555
Added Team name
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kinda depends.  

I was working on a "I would bet the over on WIlson" series breaking down some film from last year, but the gist of the post was him playing within the system with better weapons.  The whole idea behind the system leading him on, was that he ran when opportunities presented itself.  Then the injury happened, and I was like "Eh, not wasting time, when he may not run much". 

If Wilson is healthy enough to run like he did last year, I'm fairly confident he makes a sizeable leap this year.  

Issues from last year, after he came back from injury:

His only reliable receiver was Berrios, which meant a lot of first reads aside from Berrios were stuck to their defenders like spilled glue.  

OL was a mess, I have no idea why anyone wanted Edoga this year.  Furthermore, they seemed to really have trouble with stunts, like they just didn't know how to communicate at all.  

There were a ton of alerts into bad plays, where Wilson kept checking into bad plays because he would make bad reads at the line.  

The TE group might have been the worst ever assembled on a team.  I don't think they were good at catching or blocking.  

I thought he was set for a massive step up, but the threat of run needs to be there at this point.  If he can run like he did last year, I think the offense is going to surprise a lot of people.  If he can't run like last year, teams are going to drop LBs into throwing lanes and confuse him.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Supersonic said:

I think Whitehead at SS will be a difference maker in those areas.  Alexander with Quincy and Mosley should improve things as well.  Even if the RB's/TE's get past the linebackers, the DB's should eliminate long/scoring plays.  So much potential to turn things around.  The only thing we don't know yet is will they execute?  I sure hope so.  I'm so tired of being disappointed and heartbroken.

I’m concerned about the Jets consistently getting off to really slow/bad starts in literally EVERY game. And no defensive adjustments during the game because “they can’t until they look at the film on Monday “ <~~~saleh words last year. 
 

im concerned about the coaching staff. Their excuses are running out because this team is starting to get talented.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Love the good feelings coming out of camp, but this is going to be a tough game:

 - Ravens have been a playoff contending team the last few years.

 - J.K. Dobbins is back and healthy.

 - Marlon Humphrey is back.

 - Ronnie Staley is back.

 - Lamar Jackson, who can single handedly take a game over, seems to be healthy.

The Ravens are a well coached mediocre football team.   Not a good defensive team.  Mid pack NFL D.  Lamar wants to get paid and may play with less than total abandon.   Very winnable game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BP said:

The Jets have never beaten the Ravens lol. And they always play the Jets tough.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199711020nyj.htm

Jets 19 Ravens 16

1997: Week 10

Coach: Bill Parcells

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201610230nyj.htm

Jets 24 Ravens 16

2016: Week 7

Coach: Todd Bowles

 

Bottom line: for the Jets to win they’ll need to hold the Ravens to 16 points. 😀

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

I thought he was set for a massive step up, but the threat of run needs to be there at this point.  If he can run like he did last year, I think the offense is going to surprise a lot of people.  If he can't run like last year, teams are going to drop LBs into throwing lanes and confuse him.  

I feel like incorporating rushing attempts into Zach’s playbook will just get Zach killed. He wasn’t a big runner in college and he still had the two shoulder surgeries, and he’s been a pro for a year and a half and is already on his second knee surgery, and that was with a measly 29 carries last season. He has an awkward, upright running style that’d get him absolutely killed if he tried to pull it off consistently, imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends on the storyline the NFL wants pursued for the 2022 season. Do they think that it's finally time for the Jets to have a shot at another Super Bowl or not? Will the zebras make the calls that help the Jets this year or not. Over this past decade of the worst pro football officiating imaginable, there have been some real doozies, and 90% of them going AGAINST the Jets. The older I get, the more I see how there is a correlation between the teams we usually end up see playing after the New Year and those that (like the Jets) are forced to talk about the next hire of a Head Coach or a GM and who we're going to pick in the top 10 of the draft THIS time. Will the Jets get that extra help or not? That will determine whether we play during January and possibly Feb or not.I believe that has as much to do with it as does the level of talent that is on the field. Of course, if Zach Wilson is QBing the team figure another pretty good draft slot next April

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...