Jets Bring Back OL Connor McDermott. Release RB Zonovan Knight

jetsrule128

Wow - the complete over reaction to an UDFA. It is a numbers game and the practice squad isn't what it used to be. You can pull up players now and put them back; if he makes the practice squad he can still make the active roster come game day. It is more about who you think is least likely to get plucked from the practice squad? a mediocre OL or an UDFA RB with a lot of potential? The truth, IMO, is that it is the OL - there is such a high demand for backup OL with any real game experience.

I hope no team poaches Knight, but how many posters have been begging for another OT on the team? I would imagine if a new slot opens up they may pull him back in. Or, more likely other players at the bottom of the team may be dropped to make room for other Vets.

We still have 8 rookies on the team which includes an UDFA. Many of the guys who played hard were re-signed to the practice squad as well. Pre-season standouts are great, but we need OL. I would have preferred us to drop a DL instead, but ...

Finally, while Saleh said that, JD makes roster decisions. Sure Saleh has input, but ... And many of those players who worked their butts off that were released were signed to other teams. So playing hard in pre-season helps one way or another.

• Sympathy 2

23 minutes ago, slats said:

I understand how you might feel, but these guys -front office and coaches- put a lot of value in athletic scores. Zonovan had an RAS score of 5.85, Ty scored a 9.75. I was a little surprised about their interest in Knight in the first place, but I don’t know what Joe Douglas is looking at with RBs. Perine was the first guy he drafted in 2020 that didn’t test well. 

I understand your understanding, but this team has 13 wins and 36 losses under Joe Douglas and another 9 wins and 22 losses the two seasons previous to the beginning of JD's tenure. When this team starts winning, I will pretend that RAS score means anything. Ty Johnson is an AWFUL football player. My leash for the JD plan is getting shorter and shorter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Jets coaches value McDermott, and he was always likely to return one his knee was healthy. Just Mitchell in reserve wasn't enough.

Seeing Knight cut at this point is painful, but 4 RBs is unnecessary. Hopefully, cutting him this late lessens the chance of him being claimed and he makes it through waivers onto the PS.

Bingo!

So in your opinion, is Douglas making the decision to re-sign McDermott in a vacuum or has got the opinion of the Jets OL coaches? 

In other words, would he re-sign McDermott if OL coaches voiced that they can’t work with him and don’t want him on the roster? 

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I understand your understanding, but this team has 13 wins and 36 losses under Joe Douglas and another 9 wins and 22 losses the two seasons previous to the beginning of JD's tenure. When this team starts winning, I will pretend that RAS score means anything. Ty Johnson is an AWFUL football player. My leash for the JD plan is getting shorter and shorter. 

Continue to be short sighted. Changing GM will result in a new coaching staff and result in another roster churn like the Vikings are doing and Giants will do once player contracts and their cap allow. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

My JD leash is the size of a lanyard kids do at Summer camp.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And if they are we’ll bring him up from the PS or sign another edge-of-roster type guy. 

Of course, and far be it from me to claim to know better than anyone, let alone 1Jets Drive, But seems to me that Knight offers more than Johnson. He looks decent on kick returns and on the goal line, Ty Johnson looks good at....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I understand how you might feel, but these guys -front office and coaches- put a lot of value in athletic scores. Zonovan had an RAS score of 5.85, Ty scored a 9.75. I was a little surprised about their interest in Knight in the first place, but I don’t know what Joe Douglas is looking at with RBs. Perine was the first guy he drafted in 2020 that didn’t test well. 

Johnson caught the ball well at Detroit and in college, was also an explosive

kick returner as was Knight. The tackle  is not good but not as bad as the

board sees him. I would have cut Hardee, no place on my roster for a exclusive

special team player.  I like Mitchell as well as Hermanns. Not my liking holding

a spot for a special team player

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Continue to be short sighted. Changing GM will result in a new coaching staff and result in another roster churn like the Vikings are doing and Giants will do once player contracts and their cap allow. 

Maybe you should wait for me to call for any changes in the front office or coaching staff before calling me shortsighted. Losing patience for continued losing and asking for regime change are not the same. Another two or four win season would at least get me to purchase the tar and feathers. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Neilos said:

Of course, and far be it from me to claim to know better than anyone, let alone 1Jets Drive, But seems to me that Knight offers more than Johnson. He looks decent on kick returns and on the goal line, Ty Johnson looks good at....

I'd have been fine with retaining Knight over Johnson.  I'm not a Johnson fan.

But the only two I truly care about is Hall and Carter.  If anyone else has to play , we're in trouble in the run game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I know these bottom of the roster moves don’t mean a lot in the long run, but this one sticks in the old craw a bit. Knight played really well this preseason and McDermott is ******* terrible.

Agreed, but we need a swing tackle for the Oline and McDermott along with Mitchel will have to do right now. McDermott knows the O so that is why they brought him back even though he is not the ideal OT to have.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd have been fine with retaining Knight over Johnson.  I'm not a Johnson fan.

But the only two I truly care about is Hall and Carter.  If anyone else has to play , we're in trouble in the run game.

Agreed.

Still likely or at least possible we'll get Coleman back after week 1 as well.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

It fits the JD/Saleh team building philosophy. If you play well in the pre-season, you ain't making this team. 

If you're mediocre to terrible during the regular season, you'll get 400 shots. 

White, Mims, McDermott, Davis, etc.

Mims played okay his rookie season and last year was bad for all the reason that has been discussed over and over.  He also had a very good preseason.  Why would you want to cut him????   The Mims hate knows no bounds.... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

It fits the JD/Saleh team building philosophy. If you play well in the pre-season, you ain't making this team. 

If you're mediocre to terrible during the regular season, you'll get 400 shots. 

White, Mims, McDermott, Davis, etc.

Cut The Strev. Keep Ashtyn. Comical. 

37 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Johnson caught the ball well at Detroit and in college, was also an explosive

kick returner as was Knight. The tackle  is not good but not as bad as the

board sees him. I would have cut Hardee, no place on my roster for a exclusive

special team player.  I like Mitchell as well as Hermanns. Not my liking holding

a spot for a special team player

Your format is making me mad.

• Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Mims played okay his rookie season and last year was bad for all the reason that has been discussed over and over.  He also had a very good preseason.  Why would you want to cut him????   The Mims hate knows no bounds.... 

I didn't say anything about cutting him, but we could have traded him for a bag of footballs and been better off. 

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

The good news?  None of you clowns have any influence with the Jets powers that be.

JD is here for the long term.  We finally have a GM that knows football and football players.

I was going to save this post to throw it back in your face but the reality is, I won't remember you in a year when I already forgot who you are.