Jets must see big Zach Wilson picture and start Joe Flacco Week 1

25 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So he hasn’t been in the meetings or at practice?

If he’s cleared and can practice this week sitting him is basically a cover up- same as when they held him out for a few extra weeks last season . and if that’s what they have to do in year 2 we’re in trouble 

Hey, why even have practice.  Just let players sit in meeting and watch film. Seems that it doesn't matter. 

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I disagree with the bolded, as well as probably the front office and players.

This team can and should be in playoff contention late in the season.  But it's not going to happen with Joe Flacco.

That is a very big ask. We still have a bunch of rookie and sophomore  players on the team and the CS is barely  out of diapers  themselves. I like the teams make up and I think we are setup well for the future, I just don't  see it this season. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He has participated in zero practices relative to the BAL game plan, but that’s okay because he threw the ball around in July with Brax.

33 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So he hasn’t been in the meetings or at practice?

If he’s cleared and can practice this week sitting him is basically a cover up- same as when they held him out for a few extra weeks last season . and if that’s what they have to do in year 2 we’re in trouble 

Let’s be better than this.

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Ravens D last year wasn't very good.  Against the pass it was terrible.  Cleveland on the other hand has a very good pass defense and puts a ton of pressure on the QB.  The week 1 matchup for our O is much better than week 2.  

The matchup isn't Zach against Lamar or Zach against Brissett.  Zach will face the Ravens D and Clevelands D.  Sending him in against Cleveland's D with no contact for a year is a dissaster waiting to happen.  The Ravens aren't the old Ravens.  They will try and outscore us.  There D isn't close to as good as Clevelands. 

They were bottom quarter of the league in defending both pass and run - it is not going to get easier for Zach after this game.

• Upvote 2

There are so many reasons not to start Kapono this week.

For one, this starting offensive line has had basically zero time to gel and get on the same page in terms of pass protection.

You have no idea how it’s really going to do until the live bullets start flying.

You really want to subject your injury prone QB who’s been in a golf cart the past 3 weeks to the Ravens D?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Well, most QB take at least 2-3 years to show their promise. Many QBs have either bad 1st or 2nd years and still turn out okay. ZW was not good last year especially in the beginning, but he wasn't a lost cause and didn't 'see ghosts'. At this point, ZW has to make it to the next level. If that is going to happen, most likely it will be this year. If not, the season is already lost - might as well loose every game and pick a new QB next year. Flacco is done - we are not going anywhere with him. Either ZW is our future or we need to move on. While I realize that many fans and most writers have the power of premonition, the rest of us mortals, including JD and the CS need at least another year. ZW needs to step up. If ZW is a bust we are better off starting White or the Strev.

Flacco's only value is to give us a chance to win games IF ZW is really hurt - otherwise it just doesn't matter. If ZW isn't our guy, the 4 or 5 wins Flacco may get us only move us further away from getting the next QB. The idea that we are going to have a vet QB full into our lap is ridiculous - we will need to either draft a rookie or trade high 1st picks.

If ZW is a bust this is going to be another brutal year, so may as well hope that he isn't.

Actually none of what I said points to Zach being a bust or not. It more so points to this absurd notion that Zach must play this week. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Actually none of what I said points to Zach being a bust or not. It more so points to this absurd notion that Zach must play this week. 

Nobody is saying Zach has to start this week.  The argument is if Zach is medically cleared, Zach feels ready to go and the HC and OC watching him practice feels his good to go should he start.  

That's the question not Zach must play this week.  That's absurd.  It's also why the article is absurd.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hey, why even have practice.  Just let players sit in meeting and watch film. Seems that it doesn't matter. 

So if Zach can practice this week he shouldn’t play because he only had a week to prepare for Balt, but should play next week vs Cleveland.. with a week of game planning for Cleveland?

got it 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sportswriters are also looking at it through a narrative lens: if Zach goes out there and gets his leg rolled up on by a blitzer, the story will be that he wasn’t physically ready to protect himself and the Jets rushed him back. 

**** the sportswrites

you play or coach scared...you lose

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Let’s be better than this.

Might want to look in the mirror. 

I said if hes cleared to practice this week he should play.  One week is what you typically get to game plan for an opponent.

If the staff holds him back because he’s not mentally prepared then it says all the off season hype about Zach taking a step was BS.  

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, but the jets didnt want to rush him back.  So the jets have done exactly what jet fans are whining about them not doing.  HAHAHAAHAHA.  Only this fanbase..........................

You could make the argument that riding a stationary bike on the sidelines was more physical stress than being a none contact QB in a Robert Saleh practice. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have NOT determined if he is a bust; I am not clairvoyant. I have NOT determined that he isn't. That is the point. If he is healthy he needs to play - he needs to get experience and he needs the season to either show what he has or not. That is the point.

If he is healthy and knows the offense he should play. We already know that Flacco isn't the guy and the team doesn't believe in him; they believe in Strev more than Flacco. Flacco's only value is keeping us in games if Zack is hurt. You heard Saleh - you can always say a QB needs more time - he is the starting QB, if he is healthy he will play,.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My point exactly. You don't  know if he was cleared. None of us do. No announcement  has been made. We are all talking about the possibilities. Ypu taking a different position than me doesn't  make you more right but on my side is a bad history  with this knee and the Jets horrible rep of rushing players back before they are ready to play. The Jets pretty much ruined Penningtons throwing shoulder doing that. 

So now you’re saying that if the doctors clear him he should play? That’s Literally the opposite of your original statement! 

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My point exactly. You don't  know if he was cleared. None of us do. No announcement  has been made. We are all talking about the possibilities. Ypu taking a different position than me doesn't  make you more right but on my side is a bad history  with this knee and the Jets horrible rep of rushing players back before they are ready to play. The Jets pretty much ruined Penningtons throwing shoulder doing that. 

So now you’re saying that if the doctors clear him he should play? That’s Literally the opposite of your original statement! 

13 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So if Zach can practice this week he shouldn’t play because he only had a week to prepare for Balt, but should play next week vs Cleveland.. with a week of game planning for Cleveland?

got it 

I would bet you anything Zack is not getting all the reps with the starters.  He will not be fully prepared and niether will Flacco. This week is an extra preseason game. 

6 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Actually what I am saying is you don't  know if he has been cleared to play. If today, Flacco is getting the starter reps, Zach should not play. This isn't  a team in the middle of a playoff run. When Zach can get a full week of practice and he is clear to play, by all means, get him out there. At least he will be as prepared as much as possible.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Actually what I am saying is you don't  know if he has been cleared to play. If today, Flacco is getting the starter reps, Zach should not play. This isn't  a team in the middle of a playoff run. When Zach can get a full week of practice and he is clear to play, by all means, get him out there. At least he will be as prepared as much as possible.  

They dont practice until Wed.  Zach will be announced the starter by Saleh in the press conference prior to practice and he will get all starters reps, Wed, Thurs, and Fri.

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, but the jets didnt want to rush him back.  So the jets have done exactly what jet fans are whining about them not doing.  HAHAHAAHAHA.  Only this fanbase..........................

If it were a 2-week injury. He’d be practicing. I get that you’re doing your shtick, but it lands better when it makes sense.

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Actually that would have been exceedingly stupid if he was ready. Zach would have played a qrt against the Giants second and thirds. That is a lot better than the Ravens #1 D

19 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Might want to look in the mirror. 

I said if hes cleared to practice this week he should play.  One week is what you typically get to game plan for an opponent.

If the staff holds him back because he’s not mentally prepared then it says all the off season hype about Zach taking a step was BS.  

Yea, a mirror is going to fix you putting words in my mouth.

This I feel really strongly about. Even if he isn't at 100%, he should play. If he is what we want him to be, our FQB, he needs to stop being babied. It was a walk in the park at BYU. Time to develop a thick skin. If he needs to wear a knee brace or fall to the turf to avoid hard contact for a few weeks. So be it.