Jets must see big Zach Wilson picture and start Joe Flacco Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I get what you're saying - but I think stuff like that will only be brought up on JetNation or Jets Twitter...

but mostly it's irrelevant what he says - it's not going to change an outcome.

He's going to be tied to W's and L's - or he'll be a LB coach in two years - yes.  Not because he played or sat his starting QB  in week 1 of his second year.

With that said, sure - smarter move is to shut up and simply say we're evaluating things - but that doesn't seem to be his way.

Why is that the smarter move? 

7 hours ago, Biggs said:

Unlike @Joe W. Namath, I'm not in a religious cult.   I'm a long time Jets  fan who hates the Jets.  I'm so diseased by being a Jets fan I should be living in a leper colony.  I want Zach to start because he might be good and if he is the Jets might be entertaining enough so I don't want to rip my eyeballs out of my head in the first half and start cutting myself in the second half just to see if I'm still alive. 

It's the start of the season.  This board is full of out of our fing minds Jets football fans.  Of course we want to see Zach start.  WTF haven't you seen enough crappy football for long enough to make you want to puke?   You have to be out of your mind to want Joe Flacco or Mike White leading the team into game one of the season.   We drafted the kid with the quick release, big arm and off platform throws to kick NFL ass.  

I want to see Zach light it up and after shreading the Ravens Defense have his way with Harbuagh's wife.  

Doesn't mean much.  It's not practice, it's game one of the 2022 NFL season.   It means everything.  This is what real Jets fans live and die for.  

@T0mShane  this is my captain nomination 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Actually that's the GMs job. Unless by "figuring out" you mean starting guys like Flacco and white who no other nfl team would start. 

havent u guys learned anything....it Woody's job and his #1 sponsor might have a say too...yeah i know conspiracy but fun

20 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

By Mark Cannizzaro

Don’t do it. 

Don’t rush him. 

Be smart. 

Play Joe Flacco. 

Give Zach Wilson another week. 

Wilson, the Jets second-year quarterback who suffered a meniscus tear and a bone bruise in his right knee in the preseason opener against the Eagles on Aug. 12 in Philadelphia, understandably wants to return to the field sooner rather than later. 

Wilson, who missed four games in his rookie season with a knee injury, burns to start Sunday’s season opener against the Ravens at MetLife Stadium and put his injury history in the rearview mirror. 

On Monday, Jets head coach Robert Saleh revealed that Wilson worked out early in the day and said “it’s possible’’ he’ll start Sunday — pending how his knee recovers Tuesday. Saleh said he’ll announce who’ll start against the Ravens on Wednesday before the team’s first practice of the week. 

For the sake of Wilson, Saleh should announce Flacco will start against his former team, leaving Wilson with one more week to strengthen his left knee and take in more practices before returning. 

0F34B9B4-935E-4370-94B5-AAEC7E9E2E0E.thumb.webp.10f25dd4f025acad8c4f4bb0f67d4de8.webp

Joe Flacco throws at Jets practice. Noah K. Murray-NY Post

Saleh needs to protect Wilson from himself and his own eagerness. 

The Jets should put more stock into the bigger picture than simply this Sunday. 

One more week and then unleash the kid to let it rip. 

The last thing the Jets need is to rush Wilson back onto the field before he’s fully ready physically and after he’s missed three critical weeks of practice (13 practices in all) and the final two preseason games. 

Start Flacco this week and let Wilson begin his 2022 season the following week against the Browns in Cleveland. 

Flacco is fully capable of running the offense and, with the Jets a 7-point underdog at home, Flacco going up against the team for whom he played from 2008-18 for the first time in his career might add a little bit of juice to the Jets. 

Listening to Saleh speak on Monday left you with the impression that he wants Wilson in there as soon as possible and that he doesn’t plan on a tiptoe back to action. 

“Eventually he’s got to get back in there whether it’s this week, next week, the week after, it doesn’t matter,” Saleh said. “You just have to rip the Band-Aid off when he’s ready to play. When he’s healthy and he feels good, he’s going to play football.” 

2CF4099C-6B73-43EB-A40E-989AD59ECB33.thumb.webp.7f4a7cccfdd0042c4375655bdda275a4.webp

The Jets must see the big picture with Zach Wilson. AP

Wilson, who had arthroscopic surgery on the knee on Aug. 16 and hasn’t suited up for a practice since, was expected to miss 2-4 weeks at the time of the injury. Tuesday marks three weeks. 

The second-overall pick in last year’s draft played only nine snaps in his one preseason game, throwing a poor interception and injuring his knee on a scramble trying to gain extra yards instead of safely running out of bounds. 

another unqualified internet doctor fishing for clicks... smh

5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm not making definitive conclusions about Zach either way . I know 12 games is a pretty small sample size . Like most Jet fans I hope he evolves but I refuse to constantly bash him just because that's what the herd mentality here likes to do. If he fails he fails we  should know by the end of this season. 

It's not bashing if it's factually accurate.

Accepting the world as it is, now, is not herd mentality.

One does not have to check their brain at the door in order to be a football fan.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not bashing if it's factually accurate.

Accepting the world as it is, now, is not herd mentality.

One does not have to check their brain at the door in order to be a football fan.

Brain checked at the door that's priceless. Truth is distorted at every level of human existence today. The lemmings run gleefully  with negativity force  fed by the media and the down trodden. I get it its important to feel included . The Sojf mentality is just a microcosm of today's social "norms"   if it makes you happy more power to you. Me I'm not playing that game. I'll think for myself. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Brain checked at the door that's priceless. Truth is distorted at every level of human existence today. The lemmings run gleefully  with negativity force  fed by the media and the down trodden. I get it its important to feel included . The Sojf mentality is just a microcosm of today's social "norms"   if it makes you happy more power to you. Me I'm not playing that game. I'll think for myself. 

Lol, ok.  

8 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Press wants Flacco to start because if he does well then they can write about our QB controversy. If Flacco sucks they get to write how Zach should’ve started. If Zach starts and stinks then Flacco should’ve started.
The press is a circus that has left town.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The press (And the NFL honestly) might also want Flacco because "Flacco vs. Ravens" drums up a little interest in a game that doesn't really have much interest nationally.

Shouldn't effect the Jets decision making one iota.  They should do whatever gives us the best chance to win on Sunday.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:32 PM, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

By Mark Cannizzaro

Don’t do it. 

Don’t rush him. 

Be smart. 

Play Joe Flacco. 

Give Zach Wilson another week. 

Wilson, the Jets second-year quarterback who suffered a meniscus tear and a bone bruise in his right knee in the preseason opener against the Eagles on Aug. 12 in Philadelphia, understandably wants to return to the field sooner rather than later. 

Wilson, who missed four games in his rookie season with a knee injury, burns to start Sunday’s season opener against the Ravens at MetLife Stadium and put his injury history in the rearview mirror. 

On Monday, Jets head coach Robert Saleh revealed that Wilson worked out early in the day and said “it’s possible’’ he’ll start Sunday — pending how his knee recovers Tuesday. Saleh said he’ll announce who’ll start against the Ravens on Wednesday before the team’s first practice of the week. 

For the sake of Wilson, Saleh should announce Flacco will start against his former team, leaving Wilson with one more week to strengthen his left knee and take in more practices before returning. 

0F34B9B4-935E-4370-94B5-AAEC7E9E2E0E.thumb.webp.10f25dd4f025acad8c4f4bb0f67d4de8.webp

Joe Flacco throws at Jets practice. Noah K. Murray-NY Post

Saleh needs to protect Wilson from himself and his own eagerness. 

The Jets should put more stock into the bigger picture than simply this Sunday. 

One more week and then unleash the kid to let it rip. 

The last thing the Jets need is to rush Wilson back onto the field before he’s fully ready physically and after he’s missed three critical weeks of practice (13 practices in all) and the final two preseason games. 

Start Flacco this week and let Wilson begin his 2022 season the following week against the Browns in Cleveland. 

Flacco is fully capable of running the offense and, with the Jets a 7-point underdog at home, Flacco going up against the team for whom he played from 2008-18 for the first time in his career might add a little bit of juice to the Jets. 

Listening to Saleh speak on Monday left you with the impression that he wants Wilson in there as soon as possible and that he doesn’t plan on a tiptoe back to action. 

“Eventually he’s got to get back in there whether it’s this week, next week, the week after, it doesn’t matter,” Saleh said. “You just have to rip the Band-Aid off when he’s ready to play. When he’s healthy and he feels good, he’s going to play football.” 

2CF4099C-6B73-43EB-A40E-989AD59ECB33.thumb.webp.7f4a7cccfdd0042c4375655bdda275a4.webp

The Jets must see the big picture with Zach Wilson. AP

Wilson, who had arthroscopic surgery on the knee on Aug. 16 and hasn’t suited up for a practice since, was expected to miss 2-4 weeks at the time of the injury. Tuesday marks three weeks. 

The second-overall pick in last year’s draft played only nine snaps in his one preseason game, throwing a poor interception and injuring his knee on a scramble trying to gain extra yards instead of safely running out of bounds. 

agreee,,start flacco until jets lose a game,,then see if Zach does beetter with a better offenssive line and support cast. Jets negligent to not give him a chance with good OL.

Having said that , when Zach comes in after 1st flacco loss and plays horrid in 2 continuous games (as far as cant go thru 3-4 progressions with time a good OL provides, not leading WRs for YAC and dumb decisions (throw into triple coverage,take a sack to live another day as opposed to poor throw into coverage, end up with 15 yard 'running behind LOS like chicked with head cut off, losses instead of taking sack or throw out of bounds etc) then insert flacco or white and move on. Flacco if still 'in contention', white if out of it so we can gett a 'knows scheme' backup for 2023 (or we get lucky and he plays lights out)

Then Douglas looks at FA, trade or draft for QB.

If OL plays great, D jets, young players look solid, then we can get away with seasoned Vet in 2023 to manage the tean and Jimmy G knows our scheme so already ahead of the curve as far as other FAs. But who knows, Douglas could trade if he loves a draftee or young QB backing up somewhere else (example Sam Howell, although that just example not a endorsement, just saying I am sure Douglas has a list)

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is why Saleh is a ******* idiot. If he plays Zach with minimal practice time and Zach sucks, it’s malfeasance. If he doesn’t play Zach, it’s going to look like a healthy scratch. Just shut the **** up, Bob. You’re not obligated to say a ******* word about your player’s health. You’re going to be coaching LBs for the Packers this time next year. Just shut the **** up.

This is prophetic and 100%.  You were right here!

If this was just one game - maybe not...but the fact that he was this far off - and still said this, leaving open the idea that he might play this week - has cause serious problems.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The press (And the NFL honestly) might also want Flacco because "Flacco vs. Ravens" drums up a little interest in a game that doesn't really have much interest nationally.

Shouldn't effect the Jets decision making one iota.  They should do whatever gives us the best chance to win on Sunday.

How many non-Jets/Ravens fans do you think are tuning in to watch Joe Flacco play the Ravens?

time house GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I want to see Zach light it up and after shreading the Ravens Defense have his way with Harbuagh's wife.  

Doesn't mean much.  It's not practice, it's game one of the 2022 NFL season.   It means everything.  This is what real Jets fans live and die for.  

@Biggs

You lost me here, my friend.

A bridge too far for me.