Josh Allen

Shelbyblue

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rosen was 100 % Maccagnan's 3rd choice.  Josh Allen never would have been the pick.  

Correct. Macc still had PTSD from the Hack debacle and would never have gone for a big-armed inaccurate college passer.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His most famous quote is about "seeing ghosts" and he's missed 3+ games every year with varying degrees of injuries and ailments.

No one who boogie boards rather than surfs in California is a "man's man".  He may not have been viewed as a b*tch initially but he's definitely a soft, mopey b*tch in hindsight.  

Carolina giving up a high pick for Darnold had a lot more to do with the Jets being a dumpster fire than it had to do with anything Darnold had brought to the table to date.  

JGB’s draft rules:

1. Never draft a QB from Colorado who prefers sledding to skiing/snowboarding.

2. Never draft a QB from Texas who prefers being a rodeo clown to getting on the bull.

3. Never draft a QB from SoCal who prefers boogie boarding to surfing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In addition, I could look at it in reverse. Some guys will get the right answer every time on a chalkboard, but it's just different.

On the chalkboard,

• you don't need to shift your gaze here then there (then perhaps somewhere else, or back again); you get a very convenient bird's-eye view that doesn't exist when playing;
  • you don't need to answer (correctly) within 2 to 2.5 seconds to then allow another 0.3-0.5 seconds to windup & release it;
  • things don't continue to change as you've started or committed to your windup (not that they necessarily do on a 20-yard football field with just the QB & coach on it either);
  • you don't need to move & escape pressure while keeping your eyes downfield; there's no pressure outright;
  • there's no game noise;
  • you're sitting down, and still there's nobody blocking your vision. Ever.

It's related to how one of the dumbest things in QB evaluations being the Wonderlic test. All other things being equal, smart > dumb of course, and even though it's a timed test that many or most players don't finish, a far more relevant test would be one that tests the ability to process things that require answers in 1-5 seconds max. Any problem that takes >5 seconds to solve is irrelevant to NFL football. Fast answers to fast questions, or it's pointless.

So even though he can throw a football and got nearly a perfect score on his Wonderlic (a fraction of the top percentage among NFL prospects), a Greg McElroy would never be anything because those two things still don't equal NFL QB. Hell, against a pass rush that barely averaged 2 sacks/game, such an individual might even take 11 sacks in one game while taking his sweet time to break down the play as it was unfolding, like studying a chalkboard for 10 seconds. Meanwhile some of the game's great morons effortlessly slide away from pressure and even just throw it (whether downfield or OOB), and have been legit pro QBs. McElroy can memorize the playbook and translate it into 5 languages and be useless on the field, while a lazy imbecile like Favre barely opens the playbook and still throws touchdowns.

What was I talking about again?

Soon they’ll use VR to expose prospects to game conditions for evals.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I find QBs almost impossible to project.  I usually don't bother and tend to be happy with whatever.  I remember at the time not understanding Rosen's fall beyond Bit ranting about him being a douche, but I would have taken Allen.  I would have taken Mahomes too.  Not because I know something but because I don't.  I don't understand QBs, but I understand athleticism.  When in doubt, give me the freak.  I would have taken Lance.  He will probably suck, but I feel like with a guy that can do that stuff you can always at least scheme some things.  Especially when you can get a freak outside of the very top of the draft, I'd do it.

Good post. 

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

Much better than Elway.  Quickest release in football.  Kelly was good but not on Marino's level.  IMHO.

Isn’t the point.  Marino was a pure passer.  Had a Namath like release.  Elway had the best arm and Kelley won 4 AFCCGs, Marino one.  Elway has a couple of SB wins that Marino doesn’t have.  Point is Marino was a great passer, the others won more

whatever.  the bills got the better qb in that draft including jackson.  the jets problem was that idiot mac just didn't understand how a big strong kid who could take a pounding could play the position.  maybe allen doesn't have the accuracy that rothlisberger had but he sure knows how to shed tacklers and make those same kinds of ab lib throws.  give the guy credit for being able to play and improve his passing ability.

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2022 at 4:55 PM, Maxman said:

Once his offensive coordinator left it was all over for Allen.

Probably will get to make a speech when Danny Dimes is inducted in the hall of fame.

On 9/6/2022 at 4:34 PM, pointman said:

There will be an ESPN 30 for 30 on Josh about how he was over drafted, became a sensation, and then somehow managed to turn out to be a draft bust. You watch and see.

I had to come back and quote these two ? posts. You guys seriously thought Brian Daboll was responsible for Allen's success?? Was Belichick responsible for Brady's? McCarthy for Rodgers? Etc.....

I understand that life is miserable as a Jets fan right now. You guys went from 20 years of Tom Brady to 20 years of Josh Allen. You'll spend the next two decades much like you spent the last two - constantly spinning your wheels trying to find a QB and coach that can keep up. Have fun. And mind your P's and Q's when you talk **** about the new King of the AFC East.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanBurner said:

I had to come back and quote these two ? posts. You guys seriously thought Brian Daboll was responsible for Allen's success?? Was Belichick responsible for Brady's? McCarthy for Rodgers? Etc.....

I understand that life is miserable as a Jets fan right now. You guys went from 20 years of Tom Brady to 20 years of Josh Allen. You'll spend the next two decades much like you spent the last two - constantly spinning your wheels trying to find a QB and coach that can keep up. Have fun. And mind your P's and Q's when you talk **** about the new King of the AFC East.

Apparently, sarcasm is lost on you. If you have ever seen Daniel Jones play, that should have been the give away.  Thanks for coming back though.  :)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanBurner said:

And on a serious not how about the Bills win a Super Bowl before you declare a 20 year run.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, DoubleDown said:

We'll see. With the beatings his body takes on a regular basis, he very well may break down at 30 like a running back.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah Allen is amazing, not taking away from that. But Brady avoided contact. He used to get killed for it, going limp (hey now) before taking a sack. It was all about the long game and Brady defied the odds.

Brady, Mariano Rivera....very few are still dominant like that 40+. A guy taking hits non stop isn't going on a 20 year run.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Yeah Allen is amazing, not taking away from that. But Brady avoided contact. He used to get killed for it, going limp (hey now) before taking a sack. It was all about the long game and Brady defied the odds.

Brady, Mariano Rivera....very few are still dominant like that 40+. A guy taking hits non stop isn't going on a 20 year run.

It's very very unlikely if you are being honest with yourself. Even for a total Bills homer/troll.

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

We'll see. With the beatings his body takes on a regular basis, he very well may break down at 30 like a running back.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Allen is no mere mortal. He was designed in a laboratory to shake off big hits. People said Brady would break down a decade ago and he's still out there dominating. You're going to keep wishing this will happen. It won't.

1 minute ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Allen is no mere mortal. He was designed in a laboratory to shake off big hits. People said Brady would break down a decade ago and he's still out there dominating. You're going to keep wishing this will happen. It won't.

Ah okay, did not realize that. Thank you for letting us know. This information is helpful. I assumed he was conceived through more conventional methods in a back seat like the rest of us. This lab thing is a game changer.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, BillsFanBurner said:

See Maxman's response above.

Brady spent his entire career avoiding contact as much as humanly possible. Allen's style of play is the exact opposite.

And besides Brady is a huge anomaly and exception, not the rule. If you want to hang your hat on Allen duplicating the feat of playing at a high level to 45+, be my guest. Good luck with that.

Josh Allen was an anomaly, usually guys who are inaccurate as he was in college tend to be busts in the league. Credit to the Bills for developing him and credit to Josh for improving. The guy I wanted from this class was Lamar Jackson. Darnold was the safe pick. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, August said:

Josh Allen was an anomaly, usually guys who are inaccurate as he was in college tend to be busts in the league. Credit to the Bills for developing him and credit to Josh for improving. The guy I wanted from this class was Lamar Jackson. Darnold was the safe pick. 

And this highlights the fallacy of the “safe pick”

there is no such thing as a “safe pick” - most guys bust or at least disappoint. The draft is a minefield. 

you should always take the guy you think you can mold into the best player and you should favor guys with elite traits. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BillsFanBurner said:

LMAO  I live here (Buffalo) and you're a typical Bills fan. If they should lose the next 3 games you'll be on GR radio saying how they suck and we need a new HC etc etc etc. Laughable. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

And this highlights the fallacy of the “safe pick”

there is no such thing as a “safe pick” - most guys bust or at least disappoint. The draft is a minefield. 

you should always take the guy you think you can mold into the best player and you should favor guys with elite traits. 

For some reason people thought Darnold would be another Andrew Luck type prospect. I never saw it. So when he slipped to 3rd he was viewed as a safe pick compared to projects like Allen and Jackson and a guy like Rosen who had red flags. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, August said:

For some reason people thought Darnold would be another Andrew Luck type prospect. I never saw it. So when he slipped to 3rd he was viewed as a safe pick compared to projects like Allen and Jackson and a guy like Rosen who had red flags. 

The heavens opened up for me when we drafted Sam Darnold

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BillsFanBurner said:

I have no doubt he is built to be special, like a Linebacker.  And that will indeed last for a lot longer than its supposed to.

But it'll still take its toll.  Maybe not until he's 32 or so, but it'll be happen.  Cam Newton (and yes, I acknowledge Allen is built to be tougher/longer lasting than Cam) was built like a Linebacker too, and started breaking down before he turned 30.  

You'll have a lot of great memories and wins out of Allen before then.  But a 20-year career simply isn't in the cards.  He's still a human being and taking repeated hits does not lend itself to a lengthy career.

• Upvote 2

On 9/7/2022 at 10:26 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I find QBs almost impossible to project.  I usually don't bother and tend to be happy with whatever.  I remember at the time not understanding Rosen's fall beyond Bit ranting about him being a douche, but I would have taken Allen.  I would have taken Mahomes too.  Not because I know something but because I don't.  I don't understand QBs, but I understand athleticism.  When in doubt, give me the freak.  I would have taken Lance.  He will probably suck, but I feel like with a guy that can do that stuff you can always at least scheme some things.  Especially when you can get a freak outside of the very top of the draft, I'd do it.

Not even NFL GM’s know QB’s, out of the top four quarterbacks that your only Allen hit. 

Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen busted and Baker is a borderline starter.

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Disguise a problem. I feel like he could be the next Brady and dominate the division for the next 15 years. Josh Allen is a force of nature. 

Maybe injuries or the salary cap will slow them down in a couple years

Injuries. Allen's contract is stupid because they can just keep restructuring with little penalty to free up cap space. He's already out of the top 5 on Qbs. They designed it very well. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have no doubt he is built to be special, like a Linebacker.  And that will indeed last for a lot longer than its supposed to.

But it'll still take its toll.  Maybe not until he's 32 or so, but it'll be happen.  Cam Newton (and yes, I acknowledge Allen is built to be tougher/longer lasting than Cam) was built like a Linebacker too, and started breaking down before he turned 30.  

You'll have a lot of great memories and wins out of Allen before then.  But a 20-year career simply isn't in the cards.  He's still a human being and taking repeated hits does not lend itself to a lengthy career.

Yep and he also already got a concussion in his first year. 

if he wants to be a 15-20 year guy, he needs to run less than he does. 

• Upvote 1