Josh Allen

Shelbyblue

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Josh Allen is the MOAO (mother of all outliers). Just an incredible QB. He’s the equivalent of winning a million bucks from a gas station scratch off.

Bro he was the 7th overall pick of the draft… you’re acting like he was some 6th round flier some team took a chance on him. NFL scouts obviously saw the elite physical tools he possesses and had him rated as a very high first round pick 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Josh Allen is the MOAO (mother of all outliers). Just an incredible QB. He’s the equivalent of winning a million bucks from a gas station scratch off.

he’s not an outlier

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better

GMs were blind not to see his otherworldly talent and combination of physical gifts

Uber elite arm talent and arm strength plus Big Ben type toughness in the pocket plus Russ type escapability and Cam-like strength and physicality as a runner 

10+ TD upside as a rusher in addition to the lethal right arm

Allen was throwing to Tanner Gentry at Wyoming behind a bad OL

He had some mechanical issues with his delivery in college which he has worked hard to correct

ZW and the Jets continue insist he is “fine” mechanically 

You can never solve a problem if you aren’t willing to identify it or acknowledge it

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I was pretty convinced that he would stink.  There is almost no precedent in the modern age for a guy with his completion percentage in college (he actually completed something like 47% of his passes in Junior College and barely over 50% at Wyoming) becoming a very good pro QB.

He had mechanical flaws with his delivery which he’s worked hard in the NFL to correct

You have to ask yourself is there a reason for his problems and are they correctable?

Like maybe he wasn’t receiving top-notch QB coaching from “Redwoods community college”?

(ZW has been working with John Beck seemingly forever and still looks as bad as he does)

Mechanical flaws can often be corrected but it takes hard core dedication and tons and tons of practice 

You can’t teach the traits Allen has

I remember so well those threads about Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen. (Lamar wasn't considered in this top tier).. And most on the board said that Allen was too raw with huge accuracy problems, and accuracy problems cannot be fixed. I remember those threads like yesterday. Dont remember Allen supporters at all. 

5 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I remember so well those threads about Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen. (Lamar wasn't considered in this top tier).. And most on the board said that Allen was too raw with huge accuracy problems, and accuracy problems cannot be fixed. I remember those threads like yesterday. Dont remember Allen supporters at all. 

Bottom line is you can’t teach the physical tools he has already. And obviously accuracy issues are correctable if you have the right coaching and supporting cast 

41 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

he’s not an outlier

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better

GMs were blind not to see his otherworldly talent and combination of physical gifts

Uber elite arm talent and arm strength plus Big Ben type toughness in the pocket plus Russ type escapability and Cam-like strength and physicality as a runner 

10+ TD upside as a rusher in addition to the lethal right arm

Allen was throwing to Tanner Gentry at Wyoming behind a bad OL

He had some mechanical issues with his delivery in college which he has worked hard to correct

ZW and the Jets continue insist he is “fine” mechanically 

You can never solve a problem if you aren’t willing to identify it or acknowledge it

32 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Every elite QB in the NFL today is a huge outlier

47 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Bro he was the 7th overall pick of the draft… you’re acting like he was some 6th round flier some team took a chance on him. NFL scouts obviously saw the elite physical tools he possesses and had him rated as a very high first round pick 

I was referring to the fact that he's now elite after his first 2 years near the bottom of the league in several statistical categories.

34 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He had mechanical flaws with his delivery which he’s worked hard in the NFL to correct

You have to ask yourself is there a reason for his problems and are they correctable?

I'm pretty sure it was said at the time (pre-draft) that few or no QB with a completion percentage as low as Allan's had ever been great at the NFL level.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm pretty sure it was said at the time (pre-draft) that few or no QB with a completion percentage as low as Allan's had ever been great at the NFL level.

It’s a reasonable criticism 

But I thought the juice was worth the squeeze in terms of upside 

And Allen improved at Wyoming

you could see a more confident player developing 

The Bills apparently thought they could work with him and help him get to where they thought he could be

No amount of coaching or nutrition or whatever can produce the traits Allen has

I think you also have to look at the flip side too in terms of college completion rates 

Geno Smith had something ridiculous like 75% or 80% (IIRC) rate at WV playing in that college spread attack

You kind of have to study every incompletion to try and understand the situation 

And for as much as I doubt ZW, he does have arm talent and ability

Bur he doesn’t seem to have the best attitude and the Jets have failed in terms of developing him 

I think they need to coach him harder and stop with the coddling, excuse making and unconditional praise 

7 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Bottom line is the Bills' org was thrilled when Josh Allen 'fell' to them at 7, while the rest of us snickered.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.....well played Bills, well played.

This is true 

They were clearly locked in on him from the jump 

I think they knew they wanted a big tough QB with a strong arm to play in the elements (wind, snow, etc.) in western NY

Chargers drafted Herbert because Lynn wanted an athletic QB with some mobility 

So maybe both teams just got lucky 

doesn’t matter.  They got their guys.

And we are stuck with Zach Wilson

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Give me pocket passer Qb who can win his arm,  not this exciting guy who not most accurate passer,  but is very dangerous dual threat.    

Allen was 80 freaking percent last night for 300 yards and 3 TD’s. What is not pocket passer enough for you!? 

Can we please lock this depressing ass thread

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah Allen is amazing, not taking away from that. But Brady avoided contact. He used to get killed for it, going limp (hey now) before taking a sack. It was all about the long game and Brady defied the odds.

Brady, Mariano Rivera....very few are still dominant like that 40+. A guy taking hits non stop isn't going on a 20 year run.

Ahhhh looking back on Cam's 20 year career and 15 pro bowls.... lol

He was also built in a lab and contract never hurt him..... I remember hearing that all over the place. 

All sarcasm max! 

Cam who was actually bigger than Allen had 7 good years before he started to tail off.... and bills fans thinking Josh has 20 lol!!!!

Bills 2022 are early 1990's redux... if they don't win a super bowl in the next 3 years. They are done. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Well stupid me.... all these years I thought that was the goat at pick 199

And here I find out it was the 7th pick in 2018 that was the most impressive outlier of all time...

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Pretty much everyone on this board who thinks stats are the only factor, felt the same way

I wouldn't say it's the only factor but they are certainly a big factor.  We have seen one after another big-armed, toolsy guy fail in the pros, where they did not have a history of college production.  I still think that the conclusion that most of us reached was quite reasonable at the time.  Hindsight is 20/20.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PorP said:

Well stupid me.... all these years I thought that was the goat at pick 199

And here I find out it was the 7th pick in 2018 that was the most impressive outlier of all time...

Again, I’m referring  to bad career start — to elite status.

15 minutes ago, yvj said:

I remember Jet podcasts at the time praying we didn't pick him. It's kind of funny yet sad at the same time. 

The reality is picking a Franchise QB is just a matter of luck and Jets are still operating on negative luck stats. 

I am not at all confident that he necessarily would have succeeded with us.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I wouldn't say it's the only factor but they are certainly a big factor.  We have seen one after another big-armed, toolsy guy fail in the pros, where they did not have a history of college production.  I still think that the conclusion that most of us reached was quite reasonable at the time.  Hindsight is 20/20.

No one thinks stats are “the only” factor. Franklin is strawmanning as usual because he knows he can’t win a debate unless he gets to define the opinion he’s going against.

Stats don’t predict the future but they do allow you to handicap it very accurately.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Again, I’m referring  to bad career start — to elite status.

Ya. Change the goal line when you get called out for saying something beyond questionable. ...

Unless I missed something in that post I wrote that ever remotely qualified your retort....

GIF by RealityTVGIFs

7 minutes ago, PorP said:

Ya. Change the goal line when you get called out for saying something beyond questionable. ...

Unless I missed something in that post I wrote that ever remotely qualified your retort....

GIF by RealityTVGIFs

What? That’s what I was referring to. I’m kinda well known around these parts for giving likelihood of QB turnarounds based on bad starts.

And I wasn't retorting to you -- had I been, I would've quoted you.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

If there was a secret formula for success in the NFL as a QB, we wouldnt have the bust rate we have at the QB position. Ill say it again, every top level QB is an outlier, there is no magical formula, they all have their strengths and weaknesses coming out of college, and have physical tools to get them high in the draft. From that point its a combination of coaching, work effort, talent around, processing ability, and how quickly can you learn.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I am not at all confident that he necessarily would have succeeded with us.

I can understand that considering the staff we had at the time. Still that is part of the "luck" process. Maybe Allen would have been a guy who could overcome a bad team. But most can't.