Josh Allen

Shelbyblue

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

What? That’s what I was referring to. I’m kinda well known around these parts for giving likelihood of QB turnarounds based on bad starts.

And I wasn't retorting to you -- had I been, I would've quoted you.

I was referring to your report to my post..

It's all good though man. 

I'm also embarrassed for you and wish you could have that post back but it's written on the interwebs for eternity

Josh Allen is a top-2 QB in the league, but it's not just him.

That Bills team is absolutely stacked from top to bottom.

Joe Douglas would never sign Von Miller because you have to pay a premium for legit proven studs.

He'd rather slum it with guys who have never been and will never be difference makers.  Like Jarrad Davis.  Corey Davis.  CJ Uzomah.  Tyler Conklin.

Even sadder that he's had to overpay to add these middling guys.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, PorP said:

I was referring to your report to my post..

It's all good though man. 

I'm also embarrassed for you and wish you could have that post back but it's written on the interwebs for eternity

I didn’t report your post… nor any other on this board that I can remember but I’ve been here for 15+ years so maybe I did over a decade ago.

I’m utterly confused what exactly you think you are debating here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Josh Allen is a freak of a man and athlete and I enjoy that characteristic in a Football player, especially the QB.

He's also a genuine good guy and beloved in the community there.

That's non-football stuff, but just icing on the cake from a fan POV.

21 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I thought you were putting me on ignore cuz?

What is going on in this thread this morning lol. Must’ve missed that it’s Psychological Projection Day. The only person between the two of us who broadcasts their ignores (falsely, I might add) is you, Franklin.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

What is going on in this thread this morning lol. Must’ve missed that it’s Psychological Projection Day. The only person between the two of us who broadcasts their ignores (falsely, I might add) is you, Franklin.

oh, but you pleaded with me to put you on ignore, is that better? asking for a friend?

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

oh, but you pleaded with me to put you on ignore, is that better? asking for a friend?

I asked you not to tease me with your repeated threats to put me on ignore.

This is what we call “sarcasm.”

Stay tuned for next week’s lesson: “irony.”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It’s a reasonable criticism 

But I thought the juice was worth the squeeze in terms of upside 

Some people think Streveler's "juice is worth the squeeze" right now.  That's not a valid metric.

I'm sorry, but while some folks liked Allan coming out, granted, and credit to them I suppose, the risks of a player like Allan were huge and obvious at the time.  He was clearly a developmental player, and a player who the odds clearly showed was very high risk/high reward.

Hindsight, that it worked out, in that specific situation, with those specific coaches, and that specific owner and team, does not validate a "we should have picked him" viewpoint.  For all we know, had we picked him, he'd already be out of the league given how horrible both our coaching and rosters have been over this period.

Point remains that Allan is an outlier, a very high risk pick, that stuck and thrived in the circumstances he was placed in.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

I didn’t report your post… nor any other on this board that I can remember but I’ve been here for 15+ years so maybe I did over a decade ago.

I’m utterly confused what exactly you think you are debating here.

Sorry man... typo

I meant retort. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some people think Streveler's "juice is worth the squeeze" right now.  That's not a valid metric.

I'm sorry, but while some folks liked Allan coming out, granted, and credit to them I suppose, the risks of a player like Allan were huge and obvious at the time.  He was clearly a developmental player, and a player who the odds clearly showed was very high risk/high reward.

Hindsight, that it worked out, in that specific situation, with those specific coaches, and that specific owner and team, does not validate a "we should have picked him" viewpoint.  For all we know, had we picked him, he'd already be out of the league given how horrible both our coaching and rosters have been over this period.

Point remains that Allan is an outlier, a very high risk pick, that stuck and thrived in the circumstances he was placed in.

@Jetsfan80 is onto something with his strategy for drafting QBs early — it’s so difficult to extrapolate college performance to the pro game, you might as well take the physical freak.

Either way, you’re hoping for the best but elite athletic ability does tend to provide a little downside insurance.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Very true.  But suggesting to a Bills fan that Allen's career will last 12-15 years (and likely be dominant for at least 10 of those) rather than 20 isn't exactly an attempt at a sick burn.  

I have no idea what it will be.  I'd think his style of play will slow him down at some point - yes.  More likely, I think all these guys are going to come around to the Andrew Luck way of thinking, and at the end of this season, Allen will have earned 85M playing football, and by the time this contract is done, probably be worth something like 150M.  I don't know why anyone with that much money risks their body or brain anymore.  Maybe that's just me though.

Still, I think after thinking the guy would be an absolute bust, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut about him and what he may do.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

@Jetsfan80 is onto something with his strategy for drafting QBs early — it’s so difficult to extrapolate college performance to the pro game, you might as well take the physical freak.

Either way, you’re hoping for the best but elite athletic ability does tend to provide a little downside insurance.

/shrug, aye, perhaps he is on to something.  

In theory, you can teach everything other than pure physical skills.

But counter-argument, look at Zach.  He's got an admittedly pretty great arm.

He just lacks the brains to make anything of it so far (IMO).

You can't teach brains either.  Just ask Mims.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/shrug, aye, perhaps he is on to something.  

In theory, you can teach everything other than pure physical skills.

But counter-argument, look at Zach.  He's got an admittedly pretty great arm.

He just lacks the brains to make anything of it so far (IMO).

You can't teach brains either.  Just ask Mims.

Yep, I agree. The problem is they haven’t yet cracked the code to identify who has the football processor upstairs and who doesn’t. Athletic ability is measurable to a relatively high degree of accuracy.

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Give me pocket passer Qb who can win his arm,  not this exciting guy who not most accurate passer,  but is very dangerous dual threat.    

Allen broke the Bills record for single-game completion percentage last night. This inaccurate crap is a dead and buried storyline. We're watching in real time as Allen's technical and cerebral gifts catch up with his physical gifts. You might as well enjoy it. It's like Brady. You hate watching him destroy your team year after year but deep down you enjoy watching greatness unfold.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PorP said:

Ahhhh looking back on Cam's 20 year career and 15 pro bowls.... lol

He was also built in a lab and contract never hurt him..... I remember hearing that all over the place. 

Cam Newton badly injured his AC joint while trying to make a tackle after throwing a pick. The AC joint is the worst possible injury for a QB to have other than maybe the elbow. It never healed properly so he lost all of his throwing power. That's a freak injury on a freak play. It wasn't caused by an accumulation of hits. That's a total myth.

Studies have shown most QB injuries occur inside the pocket. When Allen takes contact he is inviting the contact and bracing for it. He has a knack for avoiding really serious hits. He's big and strong and instinctive. One day his athleticism will drop off with age but since his cerebral game has gotten so good and will continue to develop he will be fine. He'll have a 15-20 year career from here. Book it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You’re comparing Allen’s elite upside out of Wyoming to 2022 Strev?

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

/facepalm

Clearly either I didn't make my point well, or you simply didn't understand it.

I guess if you feel you deserve credit for liking Allan in that draft class, then by all means, feel credited.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Yup.  Cam Newton was never a good passer but he still won an MVP and took his team to the SB.  Who wouldn't sign up for that?  He'd easily have been the 2nd best QB in this franchise's history.  

That's not the "floor" for an athletic freak but its a good example of what teams are starting to look for out of QB's....at every level of the game.  Even mediocre/bad passers can still have very good careers in this league if they have off-the-charts kind of athleticism.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yup.  Cam Newton was never a good passer but he still won an MVP and took his team to the SB.  Who wouldn't sign up for that?  He'd easily have been the 2nd best QB in this franchise's history.  

That's not the "floor" for an athletic freak but its a good example of what teams are starting to look for out of QB's....at every level of the game.  Even mediocre/bad passers can still have very good careers in this league if they have off-the-charts kind of athleticism.

GMs believe they have the secret sauce. I mean, they probably need that confidence to succeed in the job. But as of yet, there hasn’t been anyone to always get the QB right except, perhaps, Bill Walsh?

I can’t understand why so many GMs draft a guy and put all their eggs in that basket. Maybe back in the day before rookie wage scale, you didn’t have much option. But today? Steelers are showing the league how it is done.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

He aint making it through the season taking on LBs like he did last night.  

So many people say this. To an extent I agree he needs to run less, especially in garbage time. But when you look at QBs going down with serious injuries, so many of the ones I think of first were guys who were injured in the pocket, like Burrows horrific injury or Brady going down in the first game of the year. Injuries happen and they suck, most of the time it's just bad luck. 

The only games Allen has missed to date were in his rookie year, and that injury wasn't from running, it was from hitting his elbow on a defensive players helmet during a pass

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Josh Allen is a top-2 QB in the league, but it's not just him.

That Bills team is absolutely stacked from top to bottom.

Joe Douglas would never sign Von Miller because you have to pay a premium for legit proven studs.

He'd rather slum it with guys who have never been and will never be difference makers.  Like Jarrad Davis.  Corey Davis.  CJ Uzomah.  Tyler Conklin.

Even sadder that he's had to overpay to add these middling guys.

If he had to overpay to get mediocre players, what do you think it would take to get Miller to agree to come here?

If the roster is so bad that even mediocre players need a premium to come here, why would it make sense to dump a sizeable chunk of cap space on one player when the roster has so many holes to fill?

1 hour ago, BillsFanBurner said:

When Allen takes contact he is inviting the contact and bracing for it. He has a knack for avoiding really serious hits. He's big and strong and instinctive. One day his athleticism will drop off with age but since his cerebral game has gotten so good and will continue to develop he will be fine. He'll have a 15-20 year career from here. Book it.

Allen doesn't take contact he makes contact.    Their are NFL linebackers who are afraid of him hitting them.  He's a voricioulsy competitve football player.  

• Upvote 1

I don't wish injury with any player...never have, never will.  I won't survive the Josh Allen reign if he has a Tom Brady type career with the Bills...I don't have enough years left in the bank.  He will learn not to run as much and as long as the Bills have adequate play makers around him and keep on plugging in O linemen as current linemen leave or retire, I don't see the Jets overtaking them.  It's early in his career, I know...I'm just saying if things stay status quo...they may even eclipse the Pats run.  Anyway, I'm in no way giving up on the Jets...never have, never will, but they have a long way to go as an organization to right this ship. 

1 minute ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I don't wish injury with any player...never have, never will.  I won't survive the Josh Allen reign if he has a Tom Brady type career with the Bills...I don't have enough years left in the bank.  He will learn not to run as much and as long as the Bills have adequate play makers around him and keep on plugging in O linemen as current linemen leave or retire, I don't see the Jets overtaking them.  It's early in his career, I know...I'm just saying if things stay status quo...they may even eclipse the Pats run.  Anyway, I'm in no way giving up on the Jets...never have, never will, but they have a long way to go as an organization to right this ship. 

Yeah we shouldn’t hope for Allen to get hurt we should hope to ******* beat him straight up.

• Upvote 1