Flacco starting against Ravens; Wilson out until week 4: MERGED

Rhg1084

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Again, even if Zach wanted to leave - the man just voted captain by his teammates.  Who spent all summer working with his new weapons...Even if after that, what you say is true...

Why would the Jets accommodate this?

What if Douglas and Saleh don’t really care if Zach Wilson is on the team next year? What if they could get Garoppolo and a first?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I am more interested in seeing him be able to finish the season, once they put him out there.  If they wait until week 4, and he plays the rest of the season, that will work.

Just have to hope that Flacco can find us 1 win in the first 3 so we are not already too far behind by the time Zach returns.

I get what you're saying but 8 weeks from a non-contact injury? That isn't a football player. That isn't  even a golfer. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is some sneaky nonsense right here.

I think the coaching staff is taking advantage of this injury and playing it EXTREMELY safe because they legitimately feel the heat for wins and think that Flacco starting the first quarter of the season provides them that.

Additionally, if they do win + Flacco plays decent/well and Zack comes in and stinks it up...well hey hey its not us coaches Woody. We can win...its this Wilson kid's fault.

Very interesting to the say least. Hey, look maybe it will be good long term, let Zack heal up 100%, watch Flacco run the offense and maybe win some games, build some momentum and confidence for this team for his return.

Flacco morphing into 1998 Vinny would complicate things...

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if they could get Garoppolo and a first?

If they can get that, Wilson isn't here next year, but how are they getting that for a guy everyone thinks sucks? And, obviously, you'd need a 3rd team involved because the 49ers just invested multiple first round picks in Trey Lance - they aren't trading draft capital for Zach Wilson. 

6 minutes ago, jNYC1 said:

Wildly optimistic (perhaps delusional) take…

The Jets are playing chess not checkers.

Keep Ravens guessing about starter…

Then announce 4 weeks… making the next 2-3 opponents game plan for Flacco.

Bring back Zach week 2.

That would be hilarious, mostly because of the insane reactions we'd see here.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if Douglas and Saleh don’t really care if Zach Wilson is on the team next year? What if they could get Garoppolo and a first?

Sure.  

I can agree on two things here...

1) The Wilson family, after today, might now want to get Zach off of this team as soon as possible.  Not saying the Jets would listen to them (they have zero reason to) but they must recognize the incompetenece and start making noise (which I don't think will be the case - but concede the point)  But what I don't see any reasoning at all to want Zach to sit for an extra 4 weeks, no upside for Zach or the family.

2) Sure, it's possible the Jets can make a move for a QB next year and trade away Zach.  but again, that has nothing to do with the Wilson family.

It's the Jets doing what they think is best for the Jets.  That's all I'm saying.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I’ve only read half the first page. WTF happened with the BS Saleh was shoveling about Wilson looking good the last two days???

After I saw Connor’s tweet about Wilson being out 4 more weeks, I’m done with this QB, the HC and this effing GM. They all suck.

Screw Flacco also… wtf is he even doing on this roster? Start White or Strevelman (or whatever the hell his name is).

How many #1 picks is this fat piece of s*it Douglas going to get to screw up? 6 wins in two seasons, and now we’re going with the corpse of Joe Flacco after waiting 9 months for a football game.

Kiss my a** with the “rebuilding” crap. This team blows.

Sad Baby GIF

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Ryan is 37 years old. The Watson saga was a once in a lifetime situation and the Browns' trade and contract were absurd.  Wilson-type trades of top QBs in their prime are rare.  So the Jets will compete with the other 5-10 QB starved teams for Garappolo. Good plan.

And the alternative is to spend another high pick on another rookie QB while hoping against all hope that he’ll finally be the one…

Sorry, I’ve had enough of that.

If Wilson doesn’t pan out then I want a guy who has proven he knows his ass from his elbow, can consistently get these young playmakers on offense involved and can have the Jets in consistent playoff contention.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

On a totally off topic side note not worthy of a thread of its own.

Guess who just got named defensive player of the week and leads the CFL this year in sacks with 10?

Lorenzo Mauldin.   ?

Sometimes it takes awhile for the light to go on. We should have been patient (lol) ?

• Upvote 1

That's my takeaway as well.  Forget about the incredible string of bad luck with QB injuries:
Vinnie (game 1), Chad (pre-season), Geno (pre-season face punch), Sanchez (pre-season), Darnold (game 2 adolescent kissing disorder), and now Wilson.  That's 6 starting QBs who barely made it out of the gate.   Off the top of my head I can hardly think of even one other starting QB injured in pre-season in the whole league.   It really boggles the mind - we all must have done something really bad in our prior lives to deserve this. 
Even if chalk all up to bad luck the way we handle these things is totally sophomoric.  If Saleh needed to wait and see how Zach's knee responded after one workout than why in the world even raise the subject a day earlier?  That's like telling your wife you are thinking of cheating on her.  You get all the downside with no guarantee of getting any nookie.   It just makes zero sense.  Wait one day to see how he recovers and then go to a press conference and say Zach worked out an is sore and is out for a few weeks at minimum.   The whole sequence unnecessarily frustrates the fans, makes the player look weak through no fault of his own, and generally makes the organization look totally clueless.  Jeez when will this s#@t end?

It rediculous is what it is. How many other starting QBs are not ready to start the season ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Politics and money

What does that mean?

Give me a specific political advantage the Jets would get that outweighs setting the precedent of listening to a teams owner of their second year QB?

Money? In what way is money relevant here?  The NFL can not allow sponsors to dictate players - even if it's Jet Blue.  There's just far too much money being made for the NFL to allow external influences on in game play.  Would be an absolute unmitiaged disaster if a sponsor had any say whatsoever.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What does that mean?

Give me a specific political advantage the Jets would get that outweighs setting the precedent of listening to a teams owner of their second year QB?

Money? In what way is money relevant here?  The NFL can not allow sponsors to dictate players - even if it's Jet Blue.  There's just far too much money being made for the NFL to allow external influences on in game play.  Would be an absolute unmitiaged disaster if a sponsor had any say whatsoever.  

At the end of the day it’s Woodys decision. Zach’s family is a major sponsor, with that presumably comes some favors. No different than the college application process at big schools with donors etc.

• Sympathy 2