Zach Wilson Press Conference - 09/07

slimjasi

55 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If you want to call it that, sure.  Joe Flacco isn’t Vinny, and we’re not going to the playoffs this year barring him magically becoming something/someone he’s not.  He has no future here whatsoever.  Rooting for him, in my eyes, is useless.  I’m not going to waste a year of my life doing so.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you a big supporter of not lecturing people on what to root for?

Did I lecture you there? 

I just watched a few minutes and he came off as not confident. It sounded like he addressed the preseason run and and since it was a non contact injury, it’s basically on his sh*tty knee. He also mentioned family members with knee issues. He seemed to have a decent camp and then that freak injury really hit his confidence hard. Just my take from watching a few minutes.

His confidence is most likely the mental part that was mentioned and Salad probably decided on the Steelers game so there is no excuse at that point and so Zach can figure things out while he gets the team in a good place.

At that point, Wilson will probably have a short leash because it sounds like a mental/confidence issue now on top of him being injury prone and also not good at being a QB. It’s not looking good for Zach in my opinion. Just my gut instinct and I have a very intuitive and large gut. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

No they won’t. Zach will still be here, for better or worse, next year.  They aren’t off-loading two top 3 QB picks in 3 years.  That’s #1.

#2 is that they aren’t firing only one of JD or Saleh after 2 years of them being together and they, definitely, aren’t firing both.  They are a package deal.  My guess is a bad season means the seat is very warm, but they will still be here with a mandate.  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, says that the owner is displeased with how the team is being constructed.

#3 circles back to my original point.  They will absolutely target one of those QBs I mentioned, and they will hold a competition between Zach, the vet, + a 3rd-4th round QB.  You want another 1st round pick prospect?  I wouldn’t look at anyone prior to the 2024 class.

Say Zach proves definitively, he's not the answer this year, the Jets stink and are picking top 5, yet some fool is willing to give you a 2nd round pick for Zach Wilson, you dont see JD taking that offer and taking a QB next season, in addition to adding a veteran?   idk, seems more fluid than that, especially if another injury occurs.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, maury77 said:

I, bregudingly, agree with what you are saying. If the Jets end up with a top 5 pick, I don't see them picking a QB for the third time in a 6 year span. The only exception would be trading back into the end of the first round if someone like Richardson falls (so we could watch @JiFapono spontaneously combust in real time). 

If the Jets passed on another blue chip freak after watching Zach squander this year, this is a very real possibility.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The snark that your post gave off was palpable.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  From my perspective it was simply a short clarifying statement of fact.  One you agreed with.

If we're not in a position as you see it to compete for winning it all, you prefer to root for losses and higher draft picks.

To be sure, you're certainly not alone in that viewpoint here at JN.  

My view on that mindset is quite well documented, and doesn't need restated here. 

Ultimately, to each their own.  We all want a title, we just see different routes as to how to get there, clearly.

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Say Zach proves definitively, he's not the answer this year, the Jets stink and are picking top 5, yet some fool is willing to give you a 2nd round pick for Zach Wilson, you dont see JD taking that offer and taking a QB next season, in addition to adding a veteran?   idk, seems more fluid than that, especially if another injury occurs.

Oh, that’s definitely a possibility.  I’m just operating under the belief that wouldn’t happen again after the whole Darnold situation.  The Jets made out like bandits there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yeah I was all over this and even wrote an article about it at the time, before the draft.

Fields was clearly the stronger bet in my eyes, yet he got shafted during the BS draft “process”.  

Media couldn’t get enough of Zach Wilson and his stupid meaningless pro day throw against air.

Fields can throw on the move, change his arm angles, all that stuff too but nobody was talking about it.  He was throwing bombs at his pro day too.

Joe Douglas has to be answerable for this.

Fleecing Seattle for picks for Adams doesn’t give him a free pass for this blunder, or at least it shouldn’t.

Davis Mills did all that in his pro day.   There were a lot of ways to go with that pick including trading down a couple of spots.  A lot of good non-QB's went in the top 10 last year.

Can't argue that Fields was probably a much safer sure thing choice.

46 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I just watched a few minutes and he came off as not confident. It sounded like he addressed the preseason run and and since it was a non contact injury, it’s basically on his sh*tty knee. He also mentioned family members with knee issues. He seemed to have a decent camp and then that freak injury really hit his confidence hard. Just my take from watching a few minutes.

His confidence is most likely the mental part that was mentioned and Salad probably decided on the Steelers game so there is no excuse at that point and so Zach can figure things out while he gets the team in a good place.

At that point, Wilson will probably have a short leash because it sounds like a mental/confidence issue now on top of him being injury prone and also not good at being a QB. It’s not looking good for Zach in my opinion. Just my gut instinct and I have a very intuitive and large gut. 

There’s two ways you can interpret confidence. Confidence in his knee, and confidence in his ability to play qb.  I’m guessing he does not yet have the confidence in his knee to get back out there.  My guess is that he practiced, it felt good not great, he consulted with his doctors and they told him that if he wanted to be certain the knee is 100% then rest a few more weeks so the bone bruise heals entirely.  This scenario is consistent with the doctors telling saleh that he could play, wilson practicing well and then the next day deciding to rest it more.  

I think wilson is confident in his ability to play qb, he was over aggressive in that preseason game and i think he’s anxious to prove all doubters wrong.  I think he’s now worried about his knee.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Joe Flacco equals wins, but I think Joe Flacco gives us the best chance to see Elijah Moore and Garrett Wilson catch a lot of passes that they wouldn’t see if Zach Wilson was playing. One theme that emerged in camp was Flacco, White, and Streveler all spreading the ball around quite a bit as compared to Zach throwing it to Tyler Conklin and Berrios on every drop back.

This, too.

Even before they announced Zach would be out until at least week 4, I was saying I would like to see Flacco for at least a few games because that would give us a baseline for how this offense can look with a competent QB running it. If Zach comes back and he can't match it, then it'll be clear as day he's not the guy.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree with all of this

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

LOL

He won't have a short leash because BS and JD are already married to him, "til death do us part".  And if there's a divorce, it will be Kapono filing the papers.

Wilson comes across very much like a nice kid who is trying to fit in and not disappoint his elders.

QBs come in all different kinds of personality types.  Eli was quiet.  Rivers fiery.  Favre sleazy.  Hindenberg clueless.

But the one thing you have to be is durable.

Wilson not being good at football AND not being able to stay on the field? 

Doesn't take a rocket scientist like Matt Patricia to figure out that doesn't bode well for his chances of being a Joe Douglas success story in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Oliver Stone would struggle with creating some of the theories presented on this web site. Great job guys. 

Haha, indeed. This place jumped the shark somewhere in 2020, when we were winless and on pace to become the worst team of all-time. Since then, this place has been outright loony, but somehow, even more fun. 

The Jets have basically turned their most diehard fans into nut jobs. But at least we have each other! You just have to laugh at the craziness and enjoy the ride. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Davis Mills did all that in his pro day.   There were a lot of ways to go with that pick including trading down a couple of spots.  A lot of good non-QB's went in the top 10 last year.

I could.  Nobody is a sure thing.

But safer than Wilson?  Yeah.

But it was based on watching him perform at the highest level of FBS.

The big-time throws.  The clutch performances.  And really just the way he carries himself on and off the field.  The composure.

And he has a body built for the NFL.  Kapono doesn't.  To say Wilson is made of glass feels like it's being generous.  At this point, every time Wilson makes a move, there is this latent fear that he is going to either hurt himself or get hurt.

The dual threat rushing upside Fields brings can't be matched by Wilson.  He can make plays with his legs like we saw vs the Jags, but plays like that will be few and far between.

Fields has 10 TD per season rushing upside.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Nope.  I would just prefer to outright suck and keep attacking the better prospects until one works out.

Biggest problem with this thinking is that if you keep drafting sh*t QBs it makes it difficult to evaluate the rest of the offense.  

If you insist on Douglas drafting another QB high, for goodness sake, at least bring in a f**king capable, non-ancient veteran QB as a Week 1 option.  You can’t possibly disagree with me on THAT, can you?

• Upvote 1

I agree it sounded like his confidence was a shaken.  The family knee issues. ... not overly concerned here ..but he will need to adjust his game.

This is just making this year even more of a make or break year for him. 

I want to give him that shot .. see what he can do.

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Biggest problem with this thinking is that if you keep drafting sh*t QBs it makes it difficult to evaluate the rest of the offense.  

If you insist on Douglas drafting another QB high, for goodness sake, at least bring in a f**king capable, non-ancient veteran QB as a Week 1 option.  You can’t possibly disagree with me on THAT, can you?

We should have traded down, accumulated bunch of picks. I'd be lying if part of my thinking was praying Darnold would step it up. It was just as much though, about those extra picks we might have been able to get.

5 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Agree. His body language tells you all you need to know regarding the situation. Saleh will be devoured by media as the season progresses if the Jets don’t win. 

Ya, usually he is composed and doesn’t seem to get rattled by the media,  that was a whole different scenario. I think you are right the media parasites smell blood in the water. 

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Ya, usually he is composed and doesn’t seem to get rattled by the media,  that was a whole different scenario. I think you are right the media parasites smell blood in the water. 

The media wanting to know what’s going on with the QB who was the second pick of the draft last year isn’t out of the ordinary. The Jets are disorganized and/or the owner meddles resulting in terrible and conflicting communication. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The media wanting to know what’s going on with the QB who was the second pick of the draft last year isn’t out of the ordinary. The Jets are disorganized and/or the owner meddles resulting in terrible and conflicting communication. 

Absolutely and the media will take full advantage.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, genot said:

We should have traded down, accumulated bunch of picks. I'd be lying if part of my thinking was praying Darnold would step it up. It was just as much though, about those extra picks we might have been able to get.

Or just stay put, take Pitts, and grab an alternative veteran QB.  

Keeping Darnold never should have been an option.  One more year of Darnold was not worth a 2nd round pick no matter what you thought of Darnold at the time.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can’t disagree with it.  I’m not rooting for any wins with them under center though.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

I want to see a 30 for 30 one day on how the hell Zach Wilson and Trey Lance went before Justin Fields. That whole draft process permanently turned me off to the draft. 

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I could.  Nobody is a sure thing.

But safer than Wilson?  Yeah.

But it was based on watching him perform at the highest level of FBS.

The big-time throws.  The clutch performances.  And really just the way he carries himself on and off the field.  The composure.

And he has a body built for the NFL.  Kapono doesn't.  To say Wilson is made of glass feels like it's being generous.  At this point, every time Wilson makes a move, there is this latent fear that he is going to either hurt himself or get hurt.

The dual threat rushing upside Fields brings can't be matched by Wilson.  He can make plays with his legs like we saw vs the Jags, but plays like that will be few and far between.

Fields has 10 TD per season rushing upside.

I swear this is not an alternate account I created even though he is making all the same points I did in the spring of 2021. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He’s 6’2 and like 7/8th

He said he put on 12 pounds of muscle this offseason.

So 6’3 224 are his measurements. 

Sure, let's just make him 6'5" 250 since we are rounding numbers. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He’s 6’2 and like 7/8th

He said he put on 12 pounds of muscle this offseason.

So 6’3 224 are his measurements. 

Yes. This is the problem with these Zach haters and clearly shows they’re blinded to anything positive through their disdain. 

There’s plenty to dislike about Zach. But that’s not enough for them, they also have to make stuff up to create additional, false, negative narratives.  

Just takes away any and all credibility they carry with their opinions.  Because they’re either tolls or simply blinded by having to be right.

Wilson’s size isn’t an opinion. It’s documented.    

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. This is the problem with these Zach haters and clearly shows they’re blinded to anything positive through their disdain. 

There’s plenty to dislike about Zach. But that’s not enough for them, they also have to make stuff up to create additional, false, negative narratives.  

Just takes away any and all credibility they carry with their opinions.  Because they’re either tolls or simply blinded by having to be right.

Wilson’s size isn’t an opinion. It’s documented.    

I literally posted a link to his combine measurements. Is the NFL Combine an organization of Zach Haters too?