Message from Fireman Ed

Maxman

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

People better get to the gates early. It’s going to be packed and bottle up if you get there at 1245. May not get to your seat till 115

get in early! 

Solid advice.

I get to the gates by noon and hang out inside until game time.

where I sit I get to watch the visiting team warmup.

• Upvote 3

Didn’t he up and quit on the team a few years ago? He’s basically the RL equivalent of a poster that starts an “I’m leaving this forum and this is why….” thread only to be found complaining about the secondary in the game thread a week later. 

F this dude. The fanbase deserves better than a wishy washy wimpy whiner in a fireman’s hat. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Didn’t he up and quit on the team a few years ago? He’s basically the RL equivalent of a poster that starts an “I’m leaving this forum and this is why….” thread only to be found complaining about the secondary in the game thread a week later. 

F this dude. The fanbase deserves better than a wishy washy wimpy whiner in a fireman’s hat. 

So… by this logic, you’re saying he’s the real life equivalent of a jets fan.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

People better get to the gates early. It’s going to be packed and bottle up if you get there at 1245. May not get to your seat till 115

get in early! 

So even with less than capacity crowds, the Jets and NJSEA still don't have enough security to handle the crowd? Amazing. And they wonder why they've gone from sellouts for decades to having Wischusen desparately hawk tickets to single games on TV and radio. Charge people top dollar and treat them like prison inmates rather than valued customers, and then wonder why (in addition to to terrible football) they don't sell out any more. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Just wondering. Do all teams have a cheerleader like Ed or are we just this pathetic that we have this to ourselves. 

I can only tell you this:

The Washington Nationals have a stolen (IMO) version of the Jets chant (as Mets fans who have come down here likely know).

"N....A....T....S....NATS! NATS! NATS! Whoooo!" every time we score a run.

And yes, the "Whoo" makes it lame.  And I say that as a die hard loyal Nats Fan, lol.

And while I have no idea who our person is, by name or sight, I've been to about 50+ Nats games since 2018, and I can tell you that many fans look up to a specific spot in the stands, looking to (it seems) someone to start the chant.  Usually where I sit I just can't see that spot clearly (it's above me somewhere in the 2nd level).

So yes, I think chants usually have someone or something that starts it, to help keep everyone together.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Just wondering. Do all teams have a cheerleader like Ed or are we just this pathetic that we have this to ourselves. 

Not sure of the answer but I can't stand Fireman Ed either.   Never could.  He's such a "look at me!" kind of guy.   He gets on TV as "the quintessential Jets fan".  There is no such thing.

It's also hilarious that he grew up a Dolphins' fan.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

So even with less than capacity crowds, the Jets and NJSEA still don't have enough security to handle the crowd? Amazing. And they wonder why they've gone from sellouts for decades to having Wischusen desparately hawk tickets to single games on TV and radio. Charge people top dollar and treat them like prison inmates rather than valued customers, and then wonder why (in addition to to terrible football) they don't sell out any more. 

How dare you try logic on Jet fans !!!!!!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Years ago, especially when I went to games, i absolutely loved the Jet cheer and Fireman Ed.  Now?   It just seems out dated and embarrassing.  I also hate when the team plays that goddam air raid siren when we're down by 40.

I don't think I'll ever NOT love the Jets Chant.  I love it.  

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Years ago, especially when I went to games, i absolutely loved the Jet cheer and Fireman Ed.  Now?   It just seems out dated and embarrassing.  I also hate when the team plays that goddam air raid siren when we're down by 40.

The chant had a special appeal in both Shea and Giants stadium early on when one side of the stadium would try to be louder than the other. That was awesome and it lasted for many, many years.  Until Ed came along and ruined it. Now it is flat out pathetic.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

The chant had a special appeal in both Shea and Giants stadium early on when one side of the stadium would try to be louder than the other. That was awesome and it lasted for many, many years.  Until Ed came along and ruined it. Now it is flat out pathetic.

I can still see the two guys who did the back and forth at Shea.  Hadn't thought of them in years.

Just saw this on YouTube.  Check it out.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

As two extremely handsome and intelligent older Italians should be, you and I are usually on the same page with most things, but this is that rare time we’re not.

Ed became a bit of an ass over the years, but I still love hearing both the air raid siren and the J ET S chant during our games.

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

And I thought I was a grouchy old bastard.

actually I agree with you 100%

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

This.

I had tickets at Shea and loved every minute. It was never the same for me after they moved to the swamp in Jersey. I hung on to the seats for another 10 years, but it became a huge pita to go watch them play.

23 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

As two extremely handsome and intelligent older Italians should be, you and I are usually on the same page with most things, but this is that rare time we’re not.

Ed became a bit of an ass over the years, but I still love hearing both the air raid siren and the J ET S chant during our games.

Honestly, I vacillate between liking and hating what Ed does.   I completely respect what he and his brother have done over the years.  No doubt it was an important part of the game day experience.  At least before fans were inundated with endless games, highlights, and other diversions in the stadium.  

Now, at least to me, it seems outdated and goofy.  Plus, there are fewer and fewer of us older fans at home games who fondly remember the J-E-T-S chant.  I don't think the younger folks click with it like we did.

• Upvote 2