Cimini Trade Prediction: There Are Teams Interested in Corey Davis

15 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

In Cimini's defense, he was merely riffing on a podcast. The dweeb who wrote this "article" is the real culprit.

Well if he reported it in print or text of any kind he knows he would get lambasted for it. 

Even mentioning something like this randomly without merit is a joke for a so-called journalist.

See that's the difference. These guys call themselves journalists / reporters.

It's not Joe Rogan's podcast where its....a guy...talking. 

His podcast is advertised as a journalist/reporting platform.

Listen I know I'm hating on him but that's because I'm not a fan haha.

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I could see it if Wilson proves he's ready for a big role and mims steps up. Of course Moore and Wilson would pull up with hammies in practice the next day if we did this 

Yep. 

This is also why, if I ever did move on from Davis, I would do it in the off-season, when I could properly add depth to the WR room with a draft pick or FA signing. 

The team needs to start winning.

Why on earth would they trade away a starting WR especially when you consider how injured they have been at the position year after year?

If Davis is on the trade block in late October, this season (and the futures of the GM and HC) are going very poorly.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Beat me to it, Stone hands Davis will be in the house dropping it like it's hot.

Corey Davis over the course of his four year career has had 6, 4, 3 and 5 drops (2018-2021).

His career drop % is ~5.4%.  2021 was his worst year, by far at over 8% because of his low target count.

Since I couldn't find (even on my favored site) a list of drops/drop% by player, I did a quick peek at some of the top WR's by # of receptions in the NFL in 2021.

• Cooper Cup had a drop % of 4.2%.
  • Devante Adams has a rate of 1.8% (although his was 5.5% in 2019)
  • Tyreek Hill dropped 7 in 2021, good for a 4.4% drop rate.
  • Justin Jefferson also dropped 7, good for a 4.2% rate.
  • Dionte Johnson had 5, good for a 3.0% rate, but was at 9% with 13 drops in 2020!
  • Keenan Allen had 8, good for 5.1%
  • Jaylen Waddle had 8 for a 5.7% rate.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Source:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ Individual Player pages, Advanced Receiving Stats.

Davis at 5.4% is on the worse side of things, but not by much.  Certainly not "stone hands", unless you think guys like Waddle are also a stone hands.  He's basically 1 extra drop over 100 targets vs. the really elite guys, and on-par with some of them.

I think the reason we're all mad at Davis is a combination of untimely drops, combined with a remarkable lack of availability in his first year here.

Look, I was no fan of his signing, but I think we should be fair here.  Davis had the worst QB in the NFL throwing to him in 2021 in his first year in our system.  If we're going to say other folks need to be given some time to prove themselves, it's only fair we extend that same courtesy to Davis.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Corey Davis over the course of his four year career has had 6, 4, 3 and 5 drops (2018-2021).

His career drop % is ~5.4%.  2021 was his worst year, by far at over 8% because of his low target count.

Since I couldn't find (even on my favored site) a list of drops/drop% by player, I did a quick peek at some of the top WR's by # of receptions in the NFL in 2021.

• Dionte Johnson had 5, good for a 3.0% rate, but was at 9% with 13 drops in 2020!

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Source:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ Individual Player pages, Advances Receiving Stats.

Davis at 5.4% is on the worse side of things, but not by much.  Certainly not "stone hands", unless you think guys like Waddle are also a stone hands.  He's basically 1 extra drop over 100 targets vs. the really elite guys, and on-par with some of them.

I think the reason we're all mad at Davis is a combination of untimely drops, combined with a remarkable lack of availability in his first year here.

Look, I was no fan of his signing, but I think we should be fair here.  Davis had the worst QB in the NFL throwing to him in 2021 in his first year in our system.  If we're going to say other folks need to be given some time to prove themselves, it's only fair we extend that same courtesy to Davis.  

good point

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Davis makes 13 million a year, why would any team trade for him at that cost.

That makes him the 28th highest paid receiver in the league between Robbie Anderson and Curtis Samuel. It's not exactly bank breaking money.

If you need a 1000 yard(ish) receiver and think it's the difference between playoffs or not it's probably a fair price to pay?

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That makes him the 28th highest paid receiver in the league between Robbie Anderson and Curtis Samuel. It's not exactly bank breaking money.

If you need a 1000 yard(ish) receiver and think it's the difference between playoffs or not it's probably a fair price to pay?

but bro, think of the CAP SPACE

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

There Are Teams Interested in Corey Davis:

Yes, THE JETS.

Of course his name COULD pop up in trade rumors.

Of course if Wilson, Moore and Berrios play like Pro-Bowlers Davis will be expendable.

But the reality is that RIGHT NOW, he is probably the most indispensable WR on this team. I love Moore, but Davis is a vet with size who can play on the outside. I love Wilson but he is a rookie and we really have no idea what he will turn into or if and when he will blossom. And we all know what Berrios brings- he is a slot receiver who can contribute on specials and add a couple of wrinkles to your offensive scheme. 

Talk to me mid season if we're 0-8...lol

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek    

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Thanks for the segway into this topic.This is a problem that goes back to my 2nd year of season tix, 1980. We had the 2nd pick, thanks to the trading of Matt Robinson to Denver for their 1st rd pick. Who knew Mac's father was in the business too?? That year, our "medical staff" convinced us to not draft Anthony Munoz because he had bad knees. Instead, we took a WR, Lam Jones, who had great knees, but horrible hands, not the greatest attribute for the position. Munoz is now the greatest LT in NFL history the true gold standard that all who came after him are measured against. This is something that has plagued this franchise for 43 years now, so this recent cluster you know what should not come as any shocker to fans. It's just par for the course of a franchise that has the most detached ownership history in the NFL. 

Don’t think they decided not to draft Munoz because of a bad medical report if I remember correctly they had just drafted Chris Ward very high up (think it was a top ten pick)a year or two prior to when Munoz came out to bookend him with Marvin Powell who was a high draft pick the year before Ward 
They then took Johnny Lam with the vision of pairing him with Wesley Walker to have the Jets version of Swann and Stallworth which obviously both decisions were historically bad. Wards claim to fame was having his helmet ripped off by Lyle Alzado in the playoffs 

i don't quite uderstand why the jets would even contemplate such a trade if they thought themselves to be a contender or thought mims or wilson would suddenly be a much better receiver than davis.  granted davis probably isn't a true no 1 receiver and isn't going to scare maybe db's but it's still hard to sacrifice his experience for a couple of maybes.  the deal would have to be pretty darn good at this point.

6 hours ago, Alka said:

Unless the Jets trade him away for an existing player who will help the Jets win more games this year.

However, I just don't see it. Davis is a player of need, IMO, and I don't see any player who can do more for the Jets, unless it's the QB from San Francisco.  But then that would start an insane controversy, which the Jets don't need.

With Browns injury I could see them trading for a decent reliable tackle.  Trading from an area of strength to allow them to run and pass effectively.  And maybe promote one of the WRs they like on the Practice Squad?

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes, if a player is really really good and a #2 at the very least if not a lower end #1 sure 13 million.  He has essentially had one really good year.

Either way, it’s not as much money as you think it is anymore. Pretty fair for a player like Davis tbh

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Source:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ Individual Player pages, Advanced Receiving Stats.

they mad at him just like they mad at zach or becton - for being injured. Its crazy town ooney toons

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

No thank you.

Davis/Wilson/Moore/Berrios/Mims > Wilson/Moore/Berrios/Mims/Some Guy

I tend to agree but I must say I am intrigued by 6'4 Irv Charles who showed outstanding speed and hands at his size.   I would actually be okay with him be elevated from the Practice Squad.  Also Rashard Davis looked impressive as well.   Of course it would have to be an outstanding offer for me to move Davis.  

Short of the team starting out at or around 0-7 despite Moore & Wilson both looking like star WRs over that stretch, and Berrios playing at least as well as he did last year, I don’t see the Jets trading him. 

Whether there’s interest or not, I’m not seeing it. Truthfully, even in such a bad losing-record season through late Oct, at the end of this year there should be no further doubts on Wilson. No excuses that, after he came back to the field, he only had a few games with a full WR group & then faded after Moore went on IR again & Wilson hit a rookie wall early or something. A future mid-round pick isn’t worth eliminating those excuses. 

After this season it’s possible someone might give up a pick because his salary will drop further even as the cap rises further, followed by that team being in line for a comp pick should they not re-sign him. Should those offers arise I expect them to seriously entertain those discussions — especially after investing 2 more high picks at the position + re-signing Berrios to more than just a special teams contract + 2 starting TEs + another pick on a TE who should see the field more by then. So with a lowered need at receiver, and an increased need for some cap relief (McGovern is a FA and they haven’t yet drafted anyone to take over for him, plus a decision on Fant, plus filling other holes they don’t want to roll the dice on in the draft, plus maybe anteing up more for a veteran QB or other holes in need of filling before the draft)… keeping Davis may be a luxury at that point.

This year? Nope. Plus anyway, if all these extra draft picks from ‘21-22 aren’t enough, I don’t see how it’d make a dent in our problems by recouping some $8MM of remaining salary + the extra rookie mid-round pick Corey Davis would hopefully command.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

dhort of the team starting out at or around 0-7 despite Moore & Wilson both looking like star WRs over that stretch, and Berrios playing at least as well as he did last year, I don’t see the Jets trading him. 

Whether there’s interest or not, I’m not seeing it. Truthfully, even in such a bad losing-record season through late Oct, at the end of this year there should be no further doubts on Wilson. No excuses that, after he came back to the field, he only had a few games with a full WR group & then faded after Moore went on IR again & Wilson hit a rookie wall early or something. A future mid-round pick isn’t worth eliminating those excuses. 

After this season it’s possible someone might give up a pick because his salary will drop further even as the cap rises further, followed by that team being in line for a comp pick should they not re-sign him. Should those offers arise I expect them to seriously entertain those discussions — especially after investing 2 more high picks at the position + re-signing Berrios to more than just a special teams contract + 2 starting TEs + another pick on a TE who should see the field more by then. So with a lowered need at receiver, and an increased need for some cap relief (McGovern is a FA and they haven’t yet drafted anyone to take over for him, plus a decision on Fant, plus filling other holes they don’t want to roll the dice on in the draft, plus maybe anteing up more for a veteran QB or other holes in need of filling before the draft)… keeping Davis may be a luxury at that point.

This year? Nope. Plus anyway, if all these extra draft picks from ‘21-22 aren’t enough, I don’t see how it’d make a dent in our problems by recouping some $8MM of remaining salary + the extra rookie mid-round pick Corey Davis would hopefully command.

If the Jets start 0-6 ... Trade talks will heat up for Davis and Q.