Jump to content

Hypothetical: Flacco Is Hot - Wilson is Healthy


Who would you start week 4 if Flacco is hot?  

98 members have voted

  1. 1. Who would you start week 4 if Flacco is hot?



Recommended Posts

Zach should start when healthy regardless of Flacco’s success.

It does raise the bar for Zach to clear, since Flacco is playing tough defenses behind an o-line that hadn’t played together..

Through two games… the often maligned Joe Flacco has put up:

61%+ completion percentage

308 yds/game

5/1 TD to Int ratio

90+ QB rating

I would be ecstatic if Zach put up those types “numbers” with a leaky o-line in any 2 game stretch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t change the plan but only because I think Zach has a much higher ceiling.  
 

Even in a sucky season he looked like a guy who could put a team on his back at times.   Teams who win Super Bowls seem to have a QB like that more often than not.  

i cant argue with the higher ceiling. but you ride the hot hand. i dont think we make a playoff run but you never know. im sure there will be a chance for Zack to play soon, but he has to replace Flacco cause FLacco was bad, not because he was Annointed the #1 QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, doitny said:

i cant argue with the higher ceiling. but you ride the hot hand. i dont think we make a playoff run but you never know. im sure there will be a chance for Zack to play soon, but he has to replace Flacco cause FLacco was bad, not because he was Annointed the #1 QB.

I’m not imagining Flacco killing it in week 3  maybe he does.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Flacco wont wind up on his own back by being stupid nor will he put the ball in the bread basket of a DB nearly as often as Wilson. 

Wilson cant play the professional game.  Look at his percentages. 

I agree we have to see him with the new weapons as a matter of convention, but that is just a formality nor should we see it until Flacco plays poorly in a game that they also lose on the scoreboard. 

agreed.

and people complain that Flacco overthrew this guy or missed that guy but thats what a good QB does.... he throws it away from time to time instead of forcing it and getting a INT

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Come on. Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Some of ya'll were making it sound like the Jets didn't belong on the same field as the Browns.

I mean, were you paying much attention to the Jets D yesterday?  Nick Chubb was dry-humping us up and down the field all day. 

Yes, I was wrong that we didn't get blown off the field.  Even a 30-17 result would have been closer than I expected.  But we really didn't have any business winning that game nonetheless, even if the refereeing had been better.  99.9+ % chance of losing with under 2 minutes to go was pretty much what I expected.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would only start him in the bears, lions, jags and Seahawks game to get his confidence up. NY is a tough place to play so we need to give him some layups to build confidence. Then maybe work him into more games next year.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Flacco looks better in practice they should keep playing him. If Wilson can't win back the job, give him some time to learn and continue to heal. 

I'm not high on Flacco by any means, but Wilson isn't the only young player that needs experience. If Wilson playing means more running around the field waiting for the play to break down, I'm not convinced that is the best way for anybody else on the offense to learn their position. Also, honestly if Wilson can't get the ball out faster than Flacco and with at least as good of accuracy, Douglas needs a new plan at QB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, were you paying much attention to the Jets D yesterday?  Nick Chubb was dry-humping us up and down the field all day. 

Yes, I was wrong that we didn't get blown off the field.  Even a 30-17 result would have been closer than I expected.  But we really didn't have any business winning that game nonetheless, even if the refereeing had been better.  99.9+ % chance of losing with under 2 minutes to go was pretty much what I expected.  

Chubb had 17 carries for 87 yards. Given that he's one of the best running backs in the league, I would have signed for that. 

The Jets hung in on the road against a team everyone was saying would kill them and stole the game. The Jets are better than they have been in 7 years. Not sure what record that will equate to given this schedule, but they will be in a lot of these games, unless Saleh and this coaching staff is just lost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* And 3 TDs

+ plus 3 catches for 26

# And Hunt added 70 yards from scrimmage as well

Brissett was also 15/16 at one point

Maybe that was the Jets game plan, to give them everything underneath and not surrender the big play over the top

If it was, I don't understand it.  They had to know Brissett is a risk-averse check down artist.

When you do that, you are allowing him to stay in his comfort zone.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Brissett was also 15/16 at one point

Maybe that was the Jets game plan, to give them everything underneath and not surrender the big play over the top

If it was, I don't understand it.  They had to know Brissett is a risk-averse check down artist.

When you do that, you are allowing him to stay in his comfort zone.

 

Yeah, bend but don't break is fine as a philosophy in today's NFL.  But they were still giving up a lot of TDs and points, so clearly it didn't work at all.  

Either way I really don't think anyone was prepared to lay the blame on Flacco for yesterday's loss had it happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We were down 30-17 with less than 2 minutes to go and no timeouts left.  We should have lost.  lol.  

But yes, Flacco played far better than expected regardless, because he looked like a carcass in Week 1.  I wasn't expecting a sudden turnaround like that.  

I believe that the Jets should stick with Flacco so long as he is healthy and is playing well.  The Jets (barely) beat the Browns, a talented team with backup QB and bad DC, with an immobile Flacco who had neck surgery.  Zach does not need to be Josh Allen or Deshaun Watson to be successful.  

I am confident, that, one way or another, the Jets will see both Flacco and Wilson play substantial time in this offense.  Have Wilson focus on the weaker part of the schedule is not a bad plan for me.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wonder what this board would look like back in 1998.

why are we playing the corpse of Vinny T.... he was never good ever...... anything he does doesnt matter cause he isnt our future....... i want to see what 26 yr old Ray Lucas can do......

imagine if Parcells listen to this board we would have never had one of the best seasons in our Jets fandom. im not saying that this could be 98 again..... but im not saying it cant be either. plenty of teams have rode the improbable or unlikely QB to the playoffs and or SB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zach should start as soon as he is able. Period. In addition to trying to win games in 2022, we are trying to figure out as soon as possible whether Zach is part of the long-term plan. If he sucks, they should have a shorter leash on him and be willing to pull the plug. But we need to make the assessment at some point, so it should happen as soon as he's ready.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Zach should start as soon as he is able. Period. In addition to trying to win games in 2022, we are trying to figure out as soon as possible whether Zach is part of the long-term plan. If he sucks, they should have a shorter leash on him and be willing to pull the plug. But we need to make the assessment at some point, so it should happen as soon as he's ready.

 

This is certainly a more reasonable take than the ones saying "Yoooo can you imagine Wilson scrambling outside the pocket all day in this offense?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

i wonder what this board would look like back in 1998.

why are we playing the corpse of Vinny T.... he was never good ever...... anything he does doesnt matter cause he isnt our future....... i want to see what 26 yr old Ray Lucas can do......

imagine if Parcells listen to this board we would have never had one of the best seasons in our Jets fandom. im not saying that this could be 98 again..... but im not saying it cant be either. plenty of teams have rode the improbable or unlikely QB to the playoffs and or SB. 

Bill Parcells would never read a fan board in the first place, but if he did he would sooner create an account with his name and eviscerate every casual fan for thinking they knew the first thing about football than actually change his starting QB based on what he read.

That said, it would be hilarious to be able to necro '98 Jets message board posts.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The better Flacco plays, the shorter Zach's leash gets once he comes back. If he continues to play at a sub-optimal level for a string of games, I think you pull the plug on the experiment and move forward with Flacco/White. We can't sacrifice the development of the other young, skill players on offense for 14 or so games, just because we hope that somewhere along the way, Zach figures it out.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

i wonder what this board would look like back in 1998.

why are we playing the corpse of Vinny T.... he was never good ever...... anything he does doesnt matter cause he isnt our future....... i want to see what 26 yr old Ray Lucas can do......

imagine if Parcells listen to this board we would have never had one of the best seasons in our Jets fandom. im not saying that this could be 98 again..... but im not saying it cant be either. plenty of teams have rode the improbable or unlikely QB to the playoffs and or SB. 

Ray Lucas wasn't good, and wasn't the future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, doitny said:

agreed.

and people complain that Flacco overthrew this guy or missed that guy but thats what a good QB does.... he throws it away from time to time instead of forcing it and getting a INT

100 % agree.  Flacco has QB wisdom. He also took that sack like a man and reciprocated with a nice pass on the next play. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, doitny said:

i wonder what this board would look like back in 1998.

why are we playing the corpse of Vinny T.... he was never good ever...... anything he does doesnt matter cause he isnt our future....... i want to see what 26 yr old Ray Lucas can do......

imagine if Parcells listen to this board we would have never had one of the best seasons in our Jets fandom. im not saying that this could be 98 again..... but im not saying it cant be either. plenty of teams have rode the improbable or unlikely QB to the playoffs and or SB. 

Was Ray Lucas even drafted?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, doitny said:

i wonder what this board would look like back in 1998.

why are we playing the corpse of Vinny T.... he was never good ever...... anything he does doesnt matter cause he isnt our future....... i want to see what 26 yr old Ray Lucas can do......

imagine if Parcells listen to this board we would have never had one of the best seasons in our Jets fandom. im not saying that this could be 98 again..... but im not saying it cant be either. plenty of teams have rode the improbable or unlikely QB to the playoffs and or SB. 

And how bout when Vinny got hurt and he played the tried and true Rick Meier instead of Lucas. Sometimes you need to let the young kids play and its beneficial to have Zach grow in the offense with all the young playmakers around him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

This is certainly a more reasonable take than the ones saying "Yoooo can you imagine Wilson scrambling outside the pocket all day in this offense?"

Yeah the mobility scooter, wheelchair, compression socks and arthritic joints are keeping Wilson in the pocket forever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

100 % agree.  Flacco has QB wisdom. He also took that sack like a man and reciprocated with a nice pass on the next play. 

Yeah and that smart play where he stayed in the pocket and got stripped of the ball when he had an ocean of space to his left to step up into.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah and that smart play where he stayed in the pocket and got stripped of the ball when he had an ocean of space to his left to step up into.

You mean when the tackle made a mistake ??? Or how about a completely unaccounted for pass rusher. Flacco should have went Godzilla flight-mode to avoid that one.

 

maxresdefault.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

You mean when the tackle made a mistake ??? Or how about a completely unaccounted for pass rusher. Flacco should have went Godzilla flight-mode to avoid that one.

 

maxresdefault.jpg

No but a smart seasoned Vet senses pressure and steps up , he's just not mobile enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And how bout when Vinny got hurt and he played the tried and true Rick Meier instead of Lucas. Sometimes you need to let the young kids play and its beneficial to have Zach grow in the offense with all the young playmakers around him. 

and it is beneficial to have the young kids play with a Vet. and can be detrimental to the kids if Zach plays like last year. 

i was the only one who had Flaccos back when we named him week 1 starter. now most of this board except the most die hard Zach fans want to ride with Flacco until he sucks. its what you see and last we seen is that Zach wasnt very good. 

 

yeah Meier always sucked. that would be like us playing White instead of Wilson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No but a smart seasoned Vet senses pressure and steps up , he's just not mobile enough. 

Mobility is not always the answer.  Brady is less mobile than Flacco, but he is good at avoiding the pass rush.  Just the right step in the right direction at the right time.  And, not even Tom Brady avoids them all.  Ask the Saints.

Flacco is not at all prone to taking sacks that he does not see coming.  He does a good job with pressure.

Right now, the Jets offense and Flacco are striving for synergy.  Even the best of the best take a game or two to get into sync and learn tendencies.  That includes LaFleur in the mix as well.

The more games Flacco plays with the line, the skill guys and LaFleur, the better they will get. 

Flaccco is not Marino or Brady, but he's still a very good NFL QB especially in an offense that helps him be Joe Cool

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...