Jump to content

I think about this all the time


Dcronin
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Media? Lol I thought we paid a front office to make decisions. You think the Andy Reid drafts Adams ahead of mahomes? 

I love it when I get answers like this. I guess you had access to KC scouting dept before that draft. All we have as fans is the media to go by. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, the things we can do with hindsight.

 

Mahomes had his faithful, just like any and every qb coming into the draft. Guys here latch onto a player and declare every other option trash. Mahomes was a physically gifted kid who most people thought was more of a huge project/risk than the next coming. Things guys were saying then are similar to what they’re saying now about Zach. Same thing with Allen. Big arm, big project. Darnold was, generally, considered the best of the bunch. Suck for Sam was a thing for almost a year. I don’t believe for a second that they traded all those picks to move up and grab Sam (he was NOT making it to 3), they traded them to move and grab the next guy on their list (Baker? Allen?) but the draft fell like silly string on a six year old’s birthday. Darnold FELL to the Jets. The Giants took Saquon and it was like the gods had finally given the Jets what they were needing. The curse was broken. Macc should have been fired if he DIDN’T take Sam at 3. Turns out that Sam and, his weak immune system, was just a nice kid who couldn’t figure out NFL D’s in 1.5 seconds and he’s basically washed out. 
 

So yes, it would be nice to have the Allen that the Bills molded, but we can never know how the Allen that the Jets molded would be fairing right now. Let it go, man. Lots of gms get this stuff wrong. Sometimes it’s just blind luck that all the pieces are in the right place at the right time. I’m not defensing Macc. He truly sucked, but you can’t change the past. They must do better moving forward. Try to have fun watching the team you barrack for. Sports are supposed to be fun. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If Allen played here like he did the first 2 years he would be as vilified as Zach is. We may yet still have our franchise guy. Every single thread 8s a Zach bashing thread. 

How do you come up with sh!t like this?

Zach can't even stay on the field 2 years straight now..

Viilified? If Wilson had Allens 1st year stats we would have had been salivating for year 2.

Allens second year?

Do you realize Allen's 2nd year performance would rank as one of the best ever seasons for any Jet QB?

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hex said:

To be fair, what do you think would have happened if we drafted Josh Allen?

The problem with this team runs deeper than a couple players, and it's more than just a couple years of sucking.

Ok, I get what you're saying and can't totally disagree. 

The Jets suck at developing QBs.

But what then, is it better to continue drafting trash players because good players can't possibly thrive here anyway so what's the difference?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

How do you come up with sh!t like this?

Zach can't even stay on the field 2 years straight now..

Viilified? If Wilson had Allens 1st year stats we would have had been salivating for year 2.

Allens second year?

Do you realize Allen's 2nd year performance would rank as one of the best ever seasons for any Jet QB?

Dude put the crack pipe down and actually do some research

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Dude put the crack pipe down and actually do some research

Here is Allen’s year 2 stat line: 16 games, 58.8 completion percentage, 3,089 yards, 20 TDs / 9 INTs, 510 rushing yards, 9 rush TDs. 

Tell me more about how he would have been vilified in NY after a season like that.

May I pick the crack pipe up?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

While the Jets are busy drafting guys like Sanchez, Darnold, Hackenberg, Wilson.

Other franchises are drafting Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Russel Wilson, Jimmy Garropolo, Andrew Luck and MORE.

The odds of picking 3 duds like they have might actually be tougher than connecting on one.

Please spare us the "well if the Jets had drafted him they would have ruined him" line.

To be fair, Burrow, Trevor Lawrence and Andrew Luck were out of our reach (no team was going to trade the pick for those guys).  Also, I'm not a believer that Mac Jones is a guy that can take you to the promised land.  (In fact, I could see the Pats replacing him after this year).  Jimmy G is a decent QB (probably better than that) but not overly exciting.  If we had him, I'd still be thinking about who our next QB is going to be.

OTOH, Lamar, Deshaun, Mahomes, Josh Allen and Russell Wilson were certainly there for the taking (and I think I remember reading the Jets did like Russell Wilson) but we passed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To be fair, Burrow, Trevor Lawrence and Andrew Luck were out of our reach (no team was going to trade the pick for those guys).  Also, I'm not a believer that Mac Jones is a guy that can take you to the promised land.  (In fact, I could see the Pats replacing him after this year).  Jimmy G is a decent QB (probably better than that) but not overly exciting.  If we had him, I'd still be thinking about who our next QB is going to be.

OTOH, Lamar, Deshaun, Mahomes, Josh Allen and Russell Wilson were certainly there for the taking (and I think I remember reading the Jets did like Russell Wilson) but we passed.

Yes you are on solid ground however the Jets repeatedly win end of season meaningless games to put themselves out of draft position while smarter team execs and CS have done the opposite. Also fair enough about Mac Jones, Jimmy G but would anyone want Zach in lieu of either?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Yes you are on solid ground however the Jets repeatedly win end of season meaningless games to put themselves out of draft position while smarter team execs and CS have done the opposite. Also fair enough about Mac Jones, Jimmy G but would anyone want Zach in lieu of either?

I always root for losses in seasons where we stink (most years!) and a potential FQB is out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm sorry, but we traded all those picks to draft Darnold. We took Adams instead of Watson and Mahomes who I also think everyone would have thought were awful picks because the OL was so bad. 

 

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Go read what the media was saying about him before the draft. You want to know what Mahomes would have looked like on the Jets,  go watch the SB from 2 years ago. 

You hear yourself???  Dont draft a QB because we needed an Oline but we draft a safety??

You should work PR for the Jets.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Here is Allen’s year 2 stat line: 16 games, 58.8 completion percentage, 3,089 yards, 20 TDs / 9 INTs, 510 rushing yards, 9 rush TDs. 

Tell me more about how he would have been vilified in NY after a season like that.

May I pick the crack pipe up?

Dude, Allen's first year was very very similar to Zachs so at this same point BEFORE the 2nd season is played Allen would be just criticized as Zach. We don't know what Zach will be in year 2 yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

 

You hear yourself???  Dont draft a QB because we needed an Oline but we draft a safety??

You should work PR for the Jets.

 

That isn't  what I said but whatever. I just said everyone would think they are dog 💩 because they would be sacked on nearly every dropback like Darnold was. The difference is Darnold sucked on top of it all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Ok, I get what you're saying and can't totally disagree. 

The Jets suck at developing QBs.

But what then, is it better to continue drafting trash players because good players can't possibly thrive here anyway so what's the difference?

This is where my “expertise” ends, as it does with 99% of the people here. I don’t really know how to fix this problem, and the Jets don’t seem to either

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

That isn't  what I said but whatever. I just said everyone would think they are dog 💩 because they would be sacked on nearly every dropback like Darnold was. The difference is Darnold sucked on top of it all. 

I wonder how many QB's in this league wouldn't suck if they actually had time to learn.  But the NFL is a cold business to enter.  

It would make a better product if it wasn't so cut throat, which would aid in the long-term success of the product but.....NEXT QUARTER RESULTS DAMMIT!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-I was saying at the time that we should’ve stood pat at 6 and drafted the o lineman. Ride with Teddy for a year or two. Then maybe take a flier on Minshew the next year in the 2nd/3rd round. Or put ourselves in a position to draft Burrow/Herbert/Tua in 2020. 
 

-Imo Lamar was the best QB in that years draft going into it. But I didn’t think the Jets would be the right fit/situation for Lamar. People were calling him “another Geno”. 
 

-Then there was Josh Allen who I think the fans and the front office still had PTSD over Hackenberg, so they were hesitant to take another big armed inaccurate QB. Plus I’m not sure if the Jets had the infrastructure to even develop Allen and Jackson. 
 

-Which leaves us with Darnold and Rosen. These were the ones that the scouts and the experts deemed as the “most pro ready”. These two played in pro style offenses unlike Mayfield, Allen and Jackson. They both had the prototypical size and arm talent and were the safest bets. So had the Giants drafted Darnold, then Rosen would’ve been the pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2022 at 5:57 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Ok, I get what you're saying and can't totally disagree. 

The Jets suck at developing QBs.

But what then, is it better to continue drafting trash players because good players can't possibly thrive here anyway so what's the difference?

698B4168-B9D6-4333-BEC0-9E8CA3081194.jpeg.871932e36b1e2e72859eb85908833bbb.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Josh Allen being a superstar should probably bother me more than it does.

1) HIs profile suggests him being successful is a huge outlier. Guys that raw, that poor in college rarely translate.

2) I have very little doubt had he been put in the same situation Darnold was he would have failed here, but obviously we'll never know.

3) Because of 1 I didn't want him at the time, which makes it easier to stomach.

When I think about "what ifs" I feel like winning two games and costing ourselves Trevor Lawrence is the bigger gut punch. Going from that level of prospect to a flash in the pan, slightly built, "flavor of the month because his throwing angles sort of resembles Mahomes" is the bigger killer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...