Brown expected to be out, Fant to LT

Larz

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Here's hoping Mitchell is more like Jason Fabini and less like Chuma Edoga.

You would think that going into the draft, Joe Douglas might have thought that going into opening day, If I need a 2022 draft pick to start at right tackle, maybe I shouldn't wait until the 4th round to pick one up?

I really hope Max Mitchell turns out to be a really good pickup for us.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, derp said:

I think he likes shiny things and gets blinded by upside, but basically the same difference.

It’s just odd when you’re passing up safe freaks for risky freaks. Wirfs was an insane athlete too but without the weight/failed common sense test concerns and they could’ve played him on the right side with Fant which would’ve been safer, Pitts may not actually be from this planet, etc. 

Obviously Chase was insane too but had sat a year so I get him not being safe.

If I had to guess, I’d say that he thinks his coaching staff is better than it is, and that he can throw project-type players into the mix and his coaches will get them to max out, and he’s just now starting to figure out that his coaches are a pack of spunky kids who haven’t been able to create a culture that balances development and accountability, and now Douglas’ draft picks are falling through the cracks. Wirfs and Pitts were super clean prospects, but they also ended up with pretty good coaches for them

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s not a blessing it’s a case of the Jets not doing their homework again on a player. His bum shoulder should have been flagged before giving him 9 million bucks.

So now the narrative is Duane Brown is injury prone.... i can't even with you guys.

Grumpy and need to blame someone for everything.

fear-and-loathing-fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas.gif.5080c50802e81f923c05666a5bc37a91.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

If Brown starts this weekend a lot of grown men wasted a lot of emotion bemoaning and cursing the sky along with whatever individual their little lizard brain deemed most responsible.

Same goes for if he doesn't start. 

Frame it differently and the weekend becomes way more fun. You get to watch the NY Jets sacrifice Joe Flacco  live on television.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Thank you joe Douglass thank you!!! 

JD signed the best OT he could find. Everyone was begging the Jets to sign him. He goes down, and an rookie OT we selected in the 4th may be good enough to step in. The only thing other than wishing Becton was healthy or that we had 2 more picks this last 2 years that JD could have done, IMO, was try to figure out WTF is wrong with our medical staff/training staff. We seem to miss feedback prior to signing/drafting players and/or we are doing something wrong with strength training and conditioning. If this trend continues it will be another year leading the injured player category.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

WTF happened to Brown?  He was here for like 20 minutes and blows out a shoulder?  Doing what, taking cleats out of his gym bag?   Another tremendous JD signing.

Or that’s what was left on the market AFTER the confirmed severity of  Becton’s injury and why many were clamoring, while others skeptical & dubious, of signing a 37yo LT who NO ONE had showed in any interest in. 

To blame JD for this is a bit of a stretch. RT#1 went down and he signed the best available option for an OT. It’s not within JD’s realm to control injuries AFTER the guy is signed. 

Fate has listened to my howls and what I hoped to be the best case scenario:

Fant at LT where he excels 

Rookie Mitchell getting game experience with baptism by fire. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

JD signed the best OT he could find. Everyone was begging the Jets to sign him. He goes down, and an rookie OT we selected in the 4th may be good enough to step in. The only thing other than wishing Becton was healthy or that we had 2 more picks this last 2 years that JD could have done, IMO, was try to figure out WTF is wrong with our medical staff/training staff. We seem to miss feedback prior to signing/drafting players and/or we are doing something wrong with strength training and conditioning. If this trend continues it will be another year leading the injured player category.

Nah, im not blaming "doctors" im blaming the guys in charge. 31 other teams seemed to have figured it out. Never heard "Oh man that Jags medical staff" cmon guys. This is NYC, if anything, they can prob attract the top doctors. This looks like Khalil Mack all over again. Wasted money on a guy who wasn't in shape and ready. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

This applies to almost any player in the NFL. No one can be happy at starting a rookie OT and being so thin on depth.

well, he is better than the crap behind him on the depth chart, no? poor wording on my part, according to all indications, he is coming along better than most had hoped and is so far exceeding expectations.

As for being unhappy about our OL depth, i have been unhappy about it going into the previous GMs. We waited way too long to address the problem. While we have improved both starters and depth in other areas, we have not in OL. Blame JD for prioritizing other areas over OL or not, but the OL has been a mess way before his time.

• Upvote 1

Why are people so down on Max? Dude could be pretty legit. Its not like he is an UDFA or a complete project. He was pretty darn good in college and was taken in Rd. 4. This is what these guys are for- to be solid backups and hopefully, eventually, starters. No, you probably don't want him starting week 1. But them's the brakes.

I don't think the worst backup plan after Becton went down and JD signed Brown was to have a 4th round rookie step in at RT. He's technically a 3rd stringer. People are hysterical. What was JD supposed to do? Sign/trade for 3 starting caliber OTs after Becton went down? Name one GM who does that. Its non-sensical.

You deal with injuries as they come. You build depth that you are confident in and if those depth guys get hurt you go out and find more depth, as necessary. And sometimes, in dire situations, it means you have scrubs or rookies filling in at certain positions. It is what it is. 

The Jets will need to gameplan a little bit to help Max, chip blocks, double teams, etc. I think, as many have already said, this is a great opportunity for him, rather than a catastrophe for the team. He will probably make some mistakes and Flacco needs to be aware and avoid sacks/strip sacks on that side, get rid of the ball quick, etc. But Max could very well hold his own and have a solid game. If I was the Jets I would even try to take advantage of it by throwing some screens that way, expecting the Ravens to be going all out after him to attack the QB and using that aggressiveness against them. Just a thought.   

ALSO- Have we forgotten that Fant EXCELLS on the left side? 

nick miller people are the worst GIF

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

well if Saleh didnt need 4 1st round type of players for his wide 9 maybe we could have skipped JJ and got another decent OL in his place

JJ is behind Clemons on the depth chart

Was kind of a 1-year wonder at FSU too

I think he’ll be good unlike ZW but JD does seem to fall in love with these 1-year wonders

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Why are people so down on Max? Dude could be pretty legit. Its not like he is an UDFA or a complete project. He was pretty darn good in college and was taken in Rd. 4. This is what these guys are for- to be solid backups and hopefully, eventually, starters. No, you probably don't want him starting week 1. But them's the brakes.

I don't think the worst backup plan after Becton went down and JD signed Brown was to have a 4th round rookie step in at RT. He's technically a 3rd stringer. People are hysterical. What was JD supposed to do? Sign/trade for 3 starting caliber OTs after Becton went down? Name one GM who does that. Its non-sensical.

You deal with injuries as they come. You build depth that you are confident in and if those depth guys get hurt you go out and find more depth, as necessary. And sometimes, in dire situations, it means you have scrubs or rookies filling in at certain positions. It is what it is. 

The Jets will need to gameplan a little bit to help Max, chip blocks, double teams, etc. I think, as many have already said, this is a great opportunity for him, rather than a catastrophe for the team. He will probably make some mistakes and Flacco needs to be aware and avoid sacks/strip sacks on that side, get rid of the ball quick, etc. But Max could very well hold his own and have a solid game. If I was the Jets I would even try to take advantage of it by throwing some screens that way, expecting the Ravens to be going all out after him to attack the QB and using that aggressiveness against them. Just a thought.   

ALSO- Have we forgotten that Fant EXCELLS on the left side? 

nick miller people are the worst GIF

I'm not down on him at all, but I think the consensus is that he needs time to develop at the NFL level - like most 4th round picks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Carter and Hall are going to have to earn their money.  Need them to show up big.

And for all the talk I hear around here about Hall being the next Adrian Peterson, he’s gonna need to show up real big.

Yeah, that's realistic. Watch how a disjointed offensive line with guys flopped into positions at the last moment does against the Ravens run defense. A running back needs gaps to run through. There won't be many. Expect a tepid offensive attack with Flacco gettng sacked or pressured all day and the offensive line failing to create space for the backs. The whole situation is a disaster.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Duane Brown didn't miss a game last year. 

He's comes to the Jets and is out week 1. 

I'm an atheist, but at some point, you have to consider supernatural elements here. 

Or Jimmy Hoffa was a Jets fan and is in fact buried on the property. That would explain why the Giants can win Super Bowls but not us. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm not down on him at all, but I think the consensus is that he needs time to develop at the NFL level - like most 4th round picks. 

There's a difference between- our second string OT went down and we have to start a 4th round rookie who needs time to develop but is next on the depth chart...and fire JD. the sky is falling. this organization is s**t. Etc. etc. because Brown got hurt and Mitchell has to start. 

Those are two extremes but it seems like many on here are (whether its blaming JD/the medical staff/coaches/or Max) leaning towards the latter extreme. JMHO. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Duane Brown didn't miss a game last year. 

He comes to the Jets and is out week 1. 

I'm an atheist, but at some point, you have to consider supernatural elements here. 

If true

Joe Namath playing with roots for ONE superbowl was clown shoes at its heights... 

YOU AT LEAST ASK FOR A DYNASTY IF YOU ARE GOING TO SELL YOUR SOUL FOR A SUPERBOWL

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

There's a difference between- our second string OT went down and we have to start a 4th round rookie who needs time to develop but is next on the depth chart...and fire JD. the sky is falling. this organization is s**t. Etc. etc. because Brown got hurt and Mitchell has to start. 

Those are two extremes but it seems like many on here are (whether its blaming JD/the medical staff/coaches/or Max) leaning towards the latter extreme. JMHO. 

For sure. 

We are all just fed up. 

We say outlandish stuff because this organization constantly breaks us down. bad news after bad news after bad news. 

• Upvote 1