Brown expected to be out, Fant to LT

Larz

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Our o line is still better than last year.  Fant is back. Avt should be better. Tomlinson is an upgrade. It's just RT that's gotten a downgrade, assuming Mitchell isn't really ready. 

They have TEs who can block and catch so you’re not relegated to playing wesco or someone else who is a non factor in the actual offense.  They have 2 rbs who can both catch.  They must use the speed to stop the ravens from blitzing.  They’re going to have to take shots downfield, and with that OL they’re unfortunately going to have to move Flacco around to get him more time.  The only way the jets are going to stay competitive in this game is with a creative offensive game plan that generates first downs.  3 and outs will lead to a 40-3 score.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Thank you joe Douglass thank you!!! 

Seriously, what's your point?

GM had two starting OTs. I think it was fair to question Becton's durability (though I wasn't a huge fan of doing so). He drafted a project player, had a number of vets come in for depth. Big man goes down, he signs a vet that was playing pro bowl caliber last year... And of course he's injured the minute he steps in the building... 

So, 3 of our 5 OTs are dealing with injury... I'm assuming your expectation here is that the 4th and 5th OTs on the roster are pro bowlers, correct? Because that's how most rosters are built?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Can this team just for once start a season with its starters playing. They don't  even have to be all that healthy, just get on the God Damn Field. 

There will always be injuries (I'm pretty sure most teams are missing a starter or two).

I just wish our injuries were not OT, QB, or DE... 

• Upvote 1

NPF is the starting RT for the Titans, FWIW.  He was the number 1 OL recruit in the Nation coming out of prep school.

The Jets could have taken Brady Christensen with one off the picks they used to trade up for AVT, who is now a first round RG.  That is unusual-teams are usually able to find RGs in the lower rounds.

So the trade up strategy has definitely adversely affected the ability to draft OL depth.

The Jets have the highest paid OL in the NFL, and second highest paid DL. 

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Said it all offseason, Joe Douglas has a tackle problem. He wouldn't admit his mistake and then a last minute desperate move doesn't seem to be working out. Who could've ever seen it coming...

Ill See Myself Out GIF by 99.1 The Mix

Yeah I said many times I saw it coming. I wanted Sauce but I thought a good argument could have been made to take a tackle. Depending on Becton was idiotic.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Nah, im not blaming "doctors" im blaming the guys in charge. 31 other teams seemed to have figured it out. Never heard "Oh man that Jags medical staff" cmon guys. This is NYC, if anything, they can prob attract the top doctors. This looks like Khalil Mack all over again. Wasted money on a guy who wasn't in shape and ready. 

Why are you not blaming the doctors? Players with track records of being healthy are going down left and right. Yes, some of the signings did have injuries in the past, but if someone has had knee problems and tears a pectoral, that's not 'injury prone', that's unbelievably coincidental.

In this particular case, Duane brown played 61 games over the last 4 years. That's a bit more than 15 games a season, pretty damn good. If he had an injury pre-signing that was undisclosed, he should have failed his medicals and would not have been signed. If that injury was in play, but the doctors missed it, that's on them. If this is a new injury for a guy that regularly played full seasons, blaming JD makes as much sense as shaking your first in the air at clouds. It's misdirected, accomplishes nothing, but I guess it makes you feel better?

image.thumb.png.6deef86d4e23fae58f3ca217b028786b.png 

image.png

Edited by xJayce
Said Brown had played 61 games last year instead of 61 games over the last 4 years.
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah I said many times I saw it coming. I wanted Sauce but I thought a good argument could have been made to take a tackle. Depending on Becton was idiotic.

I was promoting OT in the 2nd rd. I like the JJ addition, but the cost may have been too high to move up for him. 

25 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Seriously, what's your point?

GM had two starting OTs. I think it was fair to question Becton's durability (though I wasn't a huge fan of doing so). He drafted a project player, had a number of vets come in for depth. Big man goes down, he signs a vet that was playing pro bowl caliber last year... And of course he's injured the minute he steps in the building... 

So, 3 of our 5 OTs are dealing with injury... I'm assuming your expectation here is that the 4th and 5th OTs on the roster are pro bowlers, correct? Because that's how most rosters are built?

Point is he HAD ALL offseason to adrress OL depth and he rolled with Becton and a 37 year tackle.....thats bad GMing

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

If you agree that drafting Becton was a mistake, then I'd have to assume that relying on that mistake going forward would also be a mistake. Yet that's precisely what JD did until scrambling to take what was left on the market after his mistake predictably left a gaping hole at a terribly important spot. 

Who said JD saw drafting Becton was a mistake after year 2?

And who said he was scrambling? From what I remember, he's hosted a few OTs over the summer to come in. With Becton going down, it did provide anyone signing with significantly more leverage, and Duane got paid (not sure how much he was asking before or after the injury).

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Point is he HAD ALL offseason to adrress OL depth and he rolled with Becton and a 37 year tackle.....thats bad GMing

I mean theres literally no player that he could’ve signed then that isn’t available now. Having 2 starting OTs go down during training camp isn’t typical.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Who said JD saw drafting Becton was a mistake after year 2?

And who said he was scrambling? From what I remember, he's hosted a few OTs over the summer to come in. With Becton going down, it did provide anyone signing with significantly more leverage, and Duane got paid (not sure how much he was asking before or after the injury).

There were plenty of us who said it. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

But, he did address OL depth... He drafted a drafted young Tackle to ease into the line-up and signed a former OT pro-bowler for depth (so both experience and someone to grow). He signed a new starting guard (again, pro bowl level) as well as claimed a young G the org liked in Nate Herbig. He also had other OTs in (Reiff was amongst them, but I think he was looking for 10+M a year?), but that didn't pan out. Is drafting + signing pro bowlers not sufficient?

Not sure what more you were looking for?

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

They have TEs who can block and catch so you’re not relegated to playing wesco or someone else who is a non factor in the actual offense.  They have 2 rbs who can both catch.  They must use the speed to stop the ravens from blitzing.  They’re going to have to take shots downfield, and with that OL they’re unfortunately going to have to move Flacco around to get him more time.  The only way the jets are going to stay competitive in this game is with a creative offensive game plan that generates first downs.  3 and outs will lead to a 40-3 score.

Plays for the Bears now.

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

NPF is the starting RT for the Titans, FWIW.  He was the number 1 OL recruit in the Nation coming out of prep school.

The Jets could have taken Brady Christensen with one off the picks they used to trade up for AVT, who is now a first round RG.  That is unusual-teams are usually able to find RGs in the lower rounds.

So the trade up strategy has definitely adversely affected the ability to draft OL depth.

The Jets have the highest paid OL in the NFL, and second highest paid DL. 

do you have a link to the math on the OL comment?

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

There were plenty of us who said it. 

Yes, plenty of YOU... Fans... People on forums, but you're not part of the Front Office... 

Saying JD saw drafting Becton as a mistake after the second year is just making stuff up to try and make a point.

• Upvote 2