Brown expected to be out, Fant to LT

Larz

4 hours ago, Claymation said:

Should they have not drafted Wilson, Gardner, Johnson and Hall in the previous rounds?

Now that Gardner has shown a glimpse of what he can be, I think it was a great pick.   The other picks look great as well.  But having said that, if Joe D. knew then what he knows now, one of those draft picks would have been for a right tackle.  Let's hope that Max Mitchell is a 4th round steal.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

not sure but JD had all offseason to get depth on OL and instead he rolled the dice with Becton and a 37 year old Tackle....

Just not smart GMing

While I agree in principal, the OT market was thin for a while. Only thing he could have really done was draft an OT with pick #4 or #10; I guess he wanted to fill other holes and hoped Becton and what was laying around would suffice until our 4th rounder was ready to go.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

To me, this is all on JD - for not having a back-up plan for Becton prior to camp.

TBH,  The OL should have been built this off-season with the assumption Becton won't be available.  And if he actually worked out - great.  

But relying on him was a big miss.

Unfortunately this team had way too many holes to fill/get better at that you have to take the risk your 1st round pick will turn into what you thought, while continuing to build out the rest of the roster. 

Max Mitchell providing some bulletin board material before his first ever game. This should go over well.

“The youngster was asked how he plans on handling the Baltimore Ravens defensive line and specifically 36-year-old veteran Calais Campbell:

“Yeah, obviously he is a 15-year vet so he has some salt to him. The dude is big, long, strong, fast, and a freak athlete but nothing we can’t handle. Nothing I haven’t seen on the field before. Obviously, he is a renown guy but he is just another dude.”

• Upvote 1

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

Max Mitchell providing some bulletin board material before his first ever game. This should go over well.

“The youngster was asked how he plans on handling the Baltimore Ravens defensive line and specifically 36-year-old veteran Calais Campbell:

“Yeah, obviously he is a 15-year vet so he has some salt to him. The dude is big, long, strong, fast, and a freak athlete but nothing we can’t handle. Nothing I haven’t seen on the field before. Obviously, he is a renown guy but he is just another dude.”

"a renown guy".  lol

Just now, SuicidalSince98 said:

Brown was a fine backup to becton… 

That's actually not true.  Brown wasn't on the team until Becton went down.  Jets were then stuck overpaying for the best T still around.

If they handled this properly they would have signed a better vet during the off-season.   JD counted on Becton being healthy and that was a mistake.  That's all.  Not the end of the world but we can look at legitimate mistakes and accept them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

That's actually not true.  Brown wasn't on the team until Becton went down.  Jets were then stuck overpaying for the best T still around.

If they handled this properly they would have signed a better vet during the off-season.   JD counted on Becton being healthy and that was a mistake.  That's all.  Not the end of the world but we can look at legitimate mistakes and accept them.

You tell 'em, cap. Don't let them try to gaslight us.

captain america GIF

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Good luck Sunday. You’re gonna need it ?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That is semantics. So if we had signed Brown pre Becton you’d be ok with it? Brown was a rather premier option as a backup to becton. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

That is semantics. So if we had signed Brown pre Becton you’d be ok with it? Brown was a rather premier option as a backup to becton. 

No, I think you're missing my point. Yes, Brown was a fine option as a back up.  We needed a starter.  Becton should not have been treated as an incumbent.  That's all I'm saying.   

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Once Becton went down he should have been on the hunt for OTs (in additon to Brown) even if it meant giving up a mid round pick.   Not sure what was available and maybe he just couldn't pry one loose but this is not a good look for JD.  

What team is trading either of their starting tackles in August for a mid-round pick? Never mind it was and is unnecessary.

Truth is what they're starting right now, with two LTs injured, is far from unusual: last year's starting LT plus a mid-round rookie RT. 

Here's the other reality of the situation this offseason. There was no panic to sign another tackle, despite some warranted uncertainty with Becton, because there was an unusual number of prior-season starters flooding free agency.

There are still some available today ffs: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle/available/

• Upvote 2