Ravens game: a lot we are going to learn

Your own list / answers to the following?

1. Are Saleh and Ulbrich frauds?  This is the game that screams for a creative defensive plan.  Will they be able to play chess with some shiny new pieces?

2. Saleh told us how our run defense actually wasn’t bad last year.  Some here bought it.  Well… will we be able to stop the run?

3. Flacco’s best ever WR was arguably a 35 year old Steve Smith.  Can ‘Off Broadway Joe’ get fans off their feet with a better supporting cast?  250+ yards, 2+ TDs, 62%+ completion rate?

4. Elijah Moore, Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, Sauce?  Will the real slim Shady(s) please stand up…. 

5. How big of a mistake did JD make not signing a veteran OT with quality starting experience?  Mad Max or Sad Max Mitchell?

• Upvote 2

My answers.

1. Leaning frauds.  I truly believe you need to be flexible & creative in this league.  The one conflicting data point is that Saleh led a good defense the year SF lost several key players including Bosa.

Ulbrich— I have major doubts he lasts the year. This was a MEH hire from day 1.

2. Run defense will still be bad.  Reed and Whitehead help but you don’t move from last to ‘good’ with DB support alone.  Plus they didn’t adequately replace Fatukasi and Whitehead won’t be able to stack the box if their zone passing D doesn’t click, another big question mark.

3. ‘Off Broadway Joe’ delights fans but will it be enough?

4. Moore shows he can be a true #1 and a matchup nightmare for opposing Ds.  Sauce shows he is a star in the making.  Wilson catches 5 passes in a promising debut.  Hall doesn’t have much running room.

5. Mitchell allows 2 sacks and isn’t quite there in the run game, which suffers.

Jets lose a fairly close game where the D cannot close the deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1. Are Saleh and Ulbrich frauds?  
Fraud is a big word. I would rephrase it to "Are they at all competent ?"

ANSWER : I have never felt good about relying a simple scheme believing that your guys are more talented.  We will see. I hope it works. 

2. Saleh told us how our run defense actually wasn’t bad last year.  Some here bought it.  Well… will we be able to stop the run?

ANSWER : Possibly .. until the Safeties get beat up. But I guess my long term answer is over the stretch of the season ... no. 

3. Flacco’s best ever WR was arguably a 35 year old Steve Smith.  Can ‘Off Broadway Joe’ get fans off their feet with a better supporting cast?  250+ yards, 2+ TDs, 62%+ completion rate?

ANSWER : RESOUNDING YES

4. Elijah Moore, Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, Sauce?  Will the real slim Shady(s) please stand up…. 

ANSWER : MICHAEL CLEMONS

5. How big of a mistake did JD make not signing a veteran OT with quality starting experience?  Mad Max or Sad Max Mitchell?

ANSWER : CATASTROPHIC - AND THE REAL REASON ZACH IS NOT STARTING

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

1. Frauds till proven otherwise.

2. BS

3. Our WR's will impress.

4. I'm pleased with all of them to date.

5. JD Had Becton's return figured all wrong but he did recover fairly well IMHO.  

How?

By signing brown?

sh*t brown may have pulled one of the biggest heist in NY history if he never plays a down for us

• Upvote 2

Just now, oatmeal said:

How?

By signing brown?

sh*t brown may have pulled one of the biggest heist in NY history if he never plays a down for us

Same old Jets fan story.  We mostly all thought Brown would be a good get till we got him.  I love 20/20 hindsight fans.  They add so much to the discussion.    

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Same old Jets fan story.  We mostly all thought Brown would be a good get till we got him.  I love 20/20 hindsight fans.  They add so much to the discussion.    

This will be an all time new level though .. which we should be used as that term is becoming commonplace these days ... If he never plays a down is any of his contract guaranteed ?

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

I don’t get paid millions to make these decisions and as spectators we have the right to give our opinions on the decisions made . 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Are Saleh and Ulbrich frauds?  This is the game that screams for a creative defensive plan.  Will they be able to play chess with some shiny new pieces?

We really aren't going to learn much because Zach is not playing. The future of this team is a team with Zach Wilson at the helm. 

Of course, you can look at individual players, especially the rookies and FA additions, you can look at how Saleh/Ulbrich/LaFleur gameplan/adjust, etc. etc. 

But in the end, you won't really learn much about what  this team can be without seeing Zach out there with this team. 

But I will play the game!

1. I personally don't think we will truly learn how good Saleh and Ulbrich are because it is SO HARD to stop L.Jackson. It's one of those things- you can only hope to contain him. My guess is that no matter how the Jets scheme against him, the Ravens will put up points and at times look unstoppable on offense. And it won't really be the coaches fault.

2. I do think the Jets will stop the run. But this is a bend-don't break defense. The Ravens offense, at the end of the day will end up with a good amount of yards on the ground. The question will be- can the Jets keep them out of the Endzone. 

3. Umm, NO. JMHO. But Joe Flacco sucks. His best bet is to be a game manager. Move the chains. NOT turn the ball over. Take shots when he has them. That's it. Can he end up with that stat line (250+ yards, 2+ TDs, 62%) playing this way? Sure. But I don't think he should be trying to take over the game or do anything spectacular. 

4. I don't know what this means. IMO Moore will get his. He has a year under his belt and I'm betting he will not only have the most success but the coaching staff has the most confidence in him compared to the other guys you mentioned.  After that, its Sauce. He is just THAT good IMO. And it may come quietly. The Ravens may just not look his way. And that's a good thing. 

5. Well, JD did sign a vet OT (Brown) when Becton went down, he just happened to get hurt last minute. LOL. What do people expect? That JD should have signed ANOTHER vet last minute when Brown got hurt? This is what a 4th Round rookie is for. Not ideal. But it is what it is. I don't think its a 'big mistake' by JD. Max Mitchell should fill in fine until Brown comes back. Its a great opportunity for him and the Jets should scheme to help him out with some double teams and chip blocks. Flacco should be aware that he has a rook on the right side and get rid of the ball quick. This is not rocket science. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Facts said:

Im with you.

Im glad the first game is against the Ravens. It’s a measuring stick of where the team is starting this season.

If it was agains the Falcons or something, we wouldn’t know what to think of the result.

See this does not make sense to me. 

How could you possibly use this game, against one of the better teams in the AFC, with Flacco starting as a measuring stick? You can't.

1. You need Zach out there. Your potential future FQB

2. It can't really be against a 'better' team. It kind of has to be against an 'equal' team. If the Jets beat the Ravens, you have to think its kind of a fluke. If the Jets lose, you kind of have to give them a mulligan because the Ravens are for all intents and purposes a 'better' team.  

Thats my view.  

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

How could you possibly use this game, against one of the better teams in the AFC, with Flacco starting as a measuring stick? You can't.

2. It can't really be against a 'better' team. It kind of has to be against an 'equal' team. If the Jets beat the Ravens, you have to think its kind of a fluke. If the Jets lose, you kind of have to give them a mulligan because the Ravens are for all intents and purposes a 'better' team.  

Thats my view.  

Defensively you certainly can. If we’re seeing the same communication breakdowns in the secondary and poor tackling again then it’s certainly a flag against the coaches. It’s Week 1 at home. A lot of new players with hype and promise, the team needs to compete at the minimum.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Thats my view.  

How could you not?

Either the squad hangs with them or they dont.

18 minutes ago, Facts said:

How could you not?

Either the squad hangs with them or they dont.

Yes, but does that really mean anything? Not really, IMO. If a Joe Flacco led Jets team 'hangs' with the Ravens how much will that really tell you about the team vs. if a Joe Flacco led team gets blown out. Or even BEATS the Ravens. Not much. Back to exactly what I said. If we lose, its expected. If we win, its a fluke. If we 'hang' with them, well, maybe we're just as good as advertised.

But in the end, none of it really represents what this team could be without Zach. 

For me it’s:

Will my wife figure out I didn’t cancel nfl network last January?

Are air fryer wings really worth it?

Is day drinking a thing for 55 year olds ?

How is it possible I’m hornier now than when I was 19?   Oh sorry wrong forum 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

The challenge just became greater.  Jets cannot abandon longer receiver routes due to fear of Raven’s pass rush.  Ravens will jam the box to limit Jets short passing and run game.  Cannot have an ultra conservative game plan and expect to win.  
maybe we get burned either way, but play to win.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

We really aren't going to learn much because Zach is not playing. The future of this team is a team with Zach Wilson at the helm. 

Of course, you can look at individual players, especially the rookies and FA additions, you can look at how Saleh/Ulbrich/LaFleur gameplan/adjust, etc. etc. 

But in the end, you won't really learn much about what  this team can be without seeing Zach out there with this team. 

But I will play the game!

1. I personally don't think we will truly learn how good Saleh and Ulbrich are because it is SO HARD to stop L.Jackson. It's one of those things- you can only hope to contain him. My guess is that no matter how the Jets scheme against him, the Ravens will put up points and at times look unstoppable on offense. And it won't really be the coaches fault.

2. I do think the Jets will stop the run. But this is a bend-don't break defense. The Ravens offense, at the end of the day will end up with a good amount of yards on the ground. The question will be- can the Jets keep them out of the Endzone. 

3. Umm, NO. JMHO. But Joe Flacco sucks. His best bet is to be a game manager. Move the chains. NOT turn the ball over. Take shots when he has them. That's it. Can he end up with that stat line (250+ yards, 2+ TDs, 62%) playing this way? Sure. But I don't think he should be trying to take over the game or do anything spectacular. 

4. I don't know what this means. IMO Moore will get his. He has a year under his belt and I'm betting he will not only have the most success but the coaching staff has the most confidence in him compared to the other guys you mentioned.  After that, its Sauce. He is just THAT good IMO. And it may come quietly. The Ravens may just not look his way. And that's a good thing. 

5. Well, JD did sign a vet OT (Brown) when Becton went down, he just happened to get hurt last minute. LOL. What do people expect? That JD should have signed ANOTHER vet last minute when Brown got hurt? This is what a 4th Round rookie is for. Not ideal. But it is what it is. I don't think its a 'big mistake' by JD. Max Mitchell should fill in fine until Brown comes back. Its a great opportunity for him and the Jets should scheme to help him out with some double teams and chip blocks. Flacco should be aware that he has a rook on the right side and get rid of the ball quick. This is not rocket science. 

We pretty much disagree on everything except for Moore and Sauce ;).  But I do thank you for playing along!

in my opinion, you hire a guy like Saleh for these types of games.  He’s earned this opportunity for his defensive prowess and I expect a lot more from him this year than last year.  He has some pieces to slow down Baltimore but I’m worried he won’t use them properly, instead staying within his comfort zone.  

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. one game wont tell us anything. what did the Rams tell you last night cause they stunk. but i bet they make the playoffs and are one of the favorites to win again.

2. thats BS. our run defense SUCKED!!!

3. yes. Flacco even as a Jet has throwed more TDs then INTs 9-3. people kill him for his record but he was 0-5 in a Adam Gase offense with much less talent then we have now. last year in Lafluers offense he played much better.

btw i LOVE " Off Broadway Joe" .... great name.

4. again too early to expect the rookie will make a big impact. it took MC1 and Moore a few games to start showing anything. then again they struggled until Zach went down so who knows.

5. we did sign a vet OL but he just got hurt. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

To paraphrase Rush's line "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".

Even in a lopsided defeat, we will still learn something.

I won't. I refuse to learn. 

In fact, that clearly goes for everyone here. If we all were capable of learning, how could we possibly still be Jets fans?

• Haha 2

1. Do the Jets now have offensive skill position talent that can create plays with the ball in their hands?

2. How does the offensive line look in pass protection with a veteran quarterback who can identify pressure and get the ball out?

3. Can the Jets create pressure with four guys after investing heavily in the defensive line?

4. Will the more explosive defensive line be able to create enough havoc for the team to be able to stop the run?

5. Is the secondary meaningfully improved? How much did the bad secondary last year impact 3 and 4?

• Sympathy 1

This doesn't feel like a good barometer for our run defense.  BAL's leading rusher is their QB.  They don't really do much 'run up the middle' type of stuff with their roster.  Also interesting is their primary receiving weapon is a TE.  Do they even have a WR who is a threat or just a bunch of no-names?  Not that they may not have great success, but I think that we should be able to figure out how to keep Andrews and Jackson from torching us with the personnel we have.  The injuries we have all impact the offense, not the defense.  If the D sucks tomorrow, it tells us a lot about this coaching staff.

On the other side of the ball, the one thing that could work in our favor is that BAL doesn't have a particularly scary pass rush.  Flacco *should* have enough time to get quick passes out.  We have the receiving personnel to play that game.  There will be pressure, but unless Mitchell completely craps the bed, I think we should move the ball at least respectably.  if we can't put up at least 17 points, if not 20, then again, I think the coaching staff has to be looked at anew.

Can we pull of a 20-17 win?  Maybe.  If things go right more than they go wrong.  Can we get pummeled like the Rams?  Also very possible.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This doesn't feel like a good barometer for our run defense.  BAL's leading rusher is their QB.  They don't really do much 'run up the middle' type of stuff with their roster.  Also interesting is their primary receiving weapon is a TE.  Do they even have a WR who is a threat or just a bunch of no-names?  Not that they may not have great success, but I think that we should be able to figure out how to keep Andrews and Jackson from torching us with the personnel we have.  The injuries are all impact the offense, not the defense.  If the D sucks tomorrow, it tells us a lot about this coaching staff.

I think this game will tell us more about the coaches than the players.  It’s clear this offense is not ready for the regular season.  They can’t run the ball, saleh admitted this, and that was before brown was declared out.  Now they have a weak RT who will need help with pass pro, and they’re going to be playing lots of young guys on offense.  So I’d like to see how the coaches scheme to maximize the strengths of the offense, which are the speed of the wrs and rbs.  On D I would be happy if they finally figured out how not to 1) let qbs scramble for chunks of yards when they know the qb is an elite athlete, and 2) not give up 19 yards on 3rd and 18.