Jump to content

Is it always this hard to break the cycle?


WowOhWow
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm amazed at how difficult it's been for the Jets, in a league built for parity, to break the cycle of putrid football they've delivered over the years.

I understand how rancid our prior GMs have been but it seems other crappy franchises seem to break through a lot easier than the Jets.

When you think of the comedy of errors that have happened since JD took over it's unreal.  We've had death (very sad), crazy injury...and one thing after the next.

The weight of the crap this team carries around must be such an anchor that it's going to take a herculean personality to break us free.  Unreal.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I'm amazed at how difficult it's been for the Jets, in a league built for parity, to break the cycle of putrid football they've delivered over the years.

I understand how rancid our prior GMs have been but it seems other crappy franchises seem to break through a lot easier than the Jets.

When you think of the comedy of errors that have happened since JD took over it's unreal.  We've had death (very sad), crazy injury...and one thing after the next.

The weight of the crap this team carries around must be such an anchor that it's going to take a herculean personality to break us free.  Unreal.

 

The owner meddles. It’s why everything is always chaos. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I'm amazed at how difficult it's been for the Jets, in a league built for parity, to break the cycle of putrid football they've delivered over the years.

I understand how rancid our prior GMs have been but it seems other crappy franchises seem to break through a lot easier than the Jets.

When you think of the comedy of errors that have happened since JD took over it's unreal.  We've had death (very sad), crazy injury...and one thing after the next.

The weight of the crap this team carries around must be such an anchor that it's going to take a herculean personality to break us free.  Unreal.

When you have the same people at the very top making the decisions.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

they get paid by the attempt not the win 

the Jets are very successful by business standards 

the Jets are the 6th most valuable franchise in the league 

if you look at it like a business for Woody, the Jets have it all figured out 

it's a money printing machine 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its actually not that hard. You need an owner willing to step out of the way and hire good football people and let them do their job. Pay what you need to pay, and step aside, and profit. Our owner is probably willing to pay, but not step aside. Its why he fired Mangini, because Mangini didnt want a know nothing owner involved, and hired Rex who was just happy to have a job and would let Woody do whatever he wanted.

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What’s insane is that we can’t even find an average quarterback. Clemens, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold, Wilson. Six top-51 picks, five different GM/HC combos, and not only are none of them elitr, none of them are even, like, Baker Mayfield or Andy Dalton. They’re all dogsh*t terrible. It’s uncanny.

Part of is they have this weird fascination every regime with not bringing in legitimate veteran competition to push a rookie. They never let anyone ever earn the job either, it's always just handed to them.

  • Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Part of is they have this weird fascination every regime with not bringing in legitimate veteran competition to push a rookie. They never let anyone ever earn the job either, it's always just handed to them.

Unless you're bringing in a perennial backup or a vet on the tail end of his career, like Flacco, that's easier said than done.

A "legitimate veteran" wants a chance at starting so they are unlikely to sign as a free agent to a probable backup position. Teams generally don't trade away potential starting QBs without getting one in return (e.g. Goff/Stafford, Lock/Wilson). Not to mention, the salary hit for a "legitimate veteran" would have prevented the team from signing a lot of the players they needed to fill out the roster. As it is the team is almost completely out of cap space.

Besides, who are the teams chucking out "legitimate veteran competition" to push their young QBs?

Fields vs. Siemian?

Lance vs. Garappolo after naming Lance the future of the franchise?

Tagovailoa vs. Bridgewater?

Jones vs. Hoyer?

Herbert vs. Daniel?

Burrow vs. Brandon Allen?

Lawrence vs. Beathard?

Mills vs. Kyle Allen?

Jalen Hurts is the only one you could maybe say has real competition behind him (Minshew). 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Unless you're bringing in a perennial backup or a vet on the tail end of his career, like Flacco, that's easier said than done.

A "legitimate veteran" wants a chance at starting so they are unlikely to sign as a free agent to a probable backup position. Teams generally don't trade away potential starting QBs without getting one in return (e.g. Goff/Stafford, Lock/Wilson). Not to mention, the salary hit for a "legitimate veteran" would have prevented the team from signing a lot of the players they needed to fill out the roster. As it is the team is almost completely out of cap space.

Besides, who are the teams chucking out "legitimate veteran competition" to push their young QBs?

Fields vs. Siemian?

Lance vs. Garappolo after naming Lance the future of the franchise?

Tagovailoa vs. Bridgewater?

Jones vs. Hoyer?

Herbert vs. Daniel?

Burrow vs. Brandon Allen?

Lawrence vs. Beathard?

Mills vs. Kyle Allen?

Jalen Hurts is the only one you could maybe say has real competition behind him (Minshew). 

Really more of a factor last year than this one since it’s his second year.

But also my personal opinion is I probably would have preferred tyrod taylor, bridgewater, or minshew from what you listed there. Someone at least who has started games before and isn’t on the cusp of retirement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I'm amazed at how difficult it's been for the Jets, in a league built for parity, to break the cycle of putrid football they've delivered over the years.

I understand how rancid our prior GMs have been but it seems other crappy franchises seem to break through a lot easier than the Jets.

When you think of the comedy of errors that have happened since JD took over it's unreal.  We've had death (very sad), crazy injury...and one thing after the next.

The weight of the crap this team carries around must be such an anchor that it's going to take a herculean personality to break us free.  Unreal.

 

usally a gm only piles crap on themseleves, we had them pile on the next guy too. But Joe is digging us out! Joe is the best thing to happen to the Jets since namath.

  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Its actually not that hard. You need an owner willing to step out of the way and hire good football people and let them do their job. Pay what you need to pay, and step aside, and profit. Our owner is probably willing to pay, but not step aside. Its why he fired Mangini, because Mangini didnt want a know nothing owner involved, and hired Rex who was just happy to have a job and would let Woody do whatever he wanted.

So firing the HC that you like, Mangini was wrong, he should have stepped aside?  As evidenced by all the winning Mangini has done elsewhere?  Rex was a mistake because he got us to 2, back to back, AFCCGs?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Really more of a factor last year than this one since it’s his second year.

But also my personal opinion is I probably would have preferred tyrod taylor, bridgewater, or minshew from what you listed there. Someone at least who has started games before and isn’t on the cusp of retirement. 

Wilson is supposed to play better out of fear that Tyrod Taylor might take his job?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

 

So firing the HC that you like, Mangini was wrong, he should have stepped aside?  As evidenced by all the winning Mangini has done elsewhere?  Rex was a mistake because he got us to 2, back to back, AFCCGs?  

I have no desire to get into a debate about Mangini and/or rex, but his reasoning for firing Mangini too early, as well has his reasons for keeping Rex too long, are for the wrong reasons, and exemplify the problem with Woodrow

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I have no desire to get into a debate about Mangini and/or rex, but his reasoning for firing Mangini too early, as well has his reasons for keeping Rex too long, are for the wrong reasons, and exemplify the problem with Woodrow

There was nothing wrong with the Rex hire, he fielded our last playoff team.  It’s not a debate.  Did he stay to loyal, yes.  Doesn’t change that Mangini had to go

Owners firing HCs isn’t meddling

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There was nothing wrong with the Rex hire, he fielded our last playoff team.  It’s not a debate.  Did he stay to loyal, yes.  Doesn’t change that Mangini had to go

Owners firing HCs isn’t meddling

Rex hire was great at the time.

It was a shame Tanny was kept post-Mangini and we didn’t have a GM who could find a QB and replenish the roster.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, greasyt said:

The only consistency in that span has been ownership

You wanted JD 

Johnson gave you JD

You wanted JD to hire the coach

Johnson let JD hire the coach

You wanted good facility’s 

Johnson built a state of the art facility in Floram Park in 2010

You wanted Johnson out of football operations 

Johnson goes to practice and that’s about it

Sorry you can’t blame the Johnson’s anymore 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You wanted JD 

Johnson gave you JD

You wanted JD to hire the coach

Johnson let JD hire the coach

You wanted good facility’s 

Johnson built a state of the art facility in Floram Park in 2010

You wanted Johnson out of football operations 

Johnson goes to practice and that’s about it

Sorry you can’t blame the Johnson’s anymore 

To the best of our knowledge the Johnson’s got rid of the flight crew which was the only damn good thing left if this wretched franchise - so we can still blame the johnsons

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A fish rots from the head down. 

 

Any of you ever have the unfortunate experience of working for a bad company? And I'm not talking about Paul Rodgers. What was the one consistent factor? Usually a sh*tty and/or clueless owner. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There was nothing wrong with the Rex hire, he fielded our last playoff team.  It’s not a debate.  Did he stay to loyal, yes.  Doesn’t change that Mangini had to go

Owners firing HCs isn’t meddling

I disagree that Mangini had to go, but don't disagree that there was nothing wrong with Rex hire. Owners firing HC's inst meddling, but if the reasons are becuasse the HC objects to owner meddling, its a problem, which is exactly what we are dealing with

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

A fish rots from the head down. 

 

Any of you ever have the unfortunate experience of working for a bad company? And I'm not talking about Paul Rodgers. What was the one consistent factor? Usually a sh*tty and/or clueless owner. 

Lucky for us fans, we support an organization which has rotted from multiple aspects over the decades.  Top...middle...and rear.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Lucky for us fans, we support an organization which has rotted from multiple aspects over the decades.  Top...middle...and rear.

We're the discounted steak when there's less than a day until expiration. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Wilson is supposed to play better out of fear that Tyrod Taylor might take his job?

Wilson not being spoonfed the job from game 1 and made to prove he’s ready for starters reps last year is my point. That was last year. This year it’s moot. 

He’s a high draft pick, he’s clearly going to start at some point so i’m not legit asking for them to trade for someone like Mayfield or something. Look at how the Steelers are handling trubisky and pickett. trubisky is clearly not an answer and he’s likely going to lose his job. But pickett isn’t just being handed the job because he’s a fresh draft pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I'm amazed at how difficult it's been for the Jets, in a league built for parity, to break the cycle of putrid football they've delivered over the years.

I understand how rancid our prior GMs have been but it seems other crappy franchises seem to break through a lot easier than the Jets.

When you think of the comedy of errors that have happened since JD took over it's unreal.  We've had death (very sad), crazy injury...and one thing after the next.

The weight of the crap this team carries around must be such an anchor that it's going to take a herculean personality to break us free.  Unreal.

The Jets play like they're in a league built for parody.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...