Ravens should be without their starting Left Tackle as well. Ronnie Stanley "unlikely" for week 1.

Lurker89

I really think this game will show us a lot about Saleh/Ulbrich and this defense as this matchup is tailormade for our defense and if they gash us up and down the field, I think it will be extremely evident that these guys do not adapt enough to survive.

Moses and Juwan James are subpar OTs who match up very poorly with our ends.  Moses is stout but struggles with speed and we will have JJ and Huff on that side who both should give him trouble on passing downs.  Juwan James is 30, fairly light at 312 and not very good - and he will be getting a ton of Lawson who is very strong and should easily dominate the matchup.    Overall, this means that for all passing downs we should be able to generate a rush with only 4 guys (staple #1 of this defense).

Now, how do we stop the run.  Well staple #2 is that the single high scheme allows for a SS in the box to help clean up the run and we have a SS in Whitehead who not only can do that, but also does well vs running QBs. 

As far as WRs, Baltimore does not have anyone who will require safety help, which will allow our LBs, Whitehead and Joyner to focus solely on our biggest weakness - stopping the TEs.  Andrews and Likely should never be alone on a LB for a single play this game.  If DJ plays we can put Hall on one of them or a LB/S combo on every passing down.  

Baltimore has stars in Andrews and Lamar - but taking Dobbins and Staley out of this game would give any good DC the opportunity to take away the things an offense does well, lets hope our guys can do that.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I really think this game will show us a lot about Saleh/Ulbrich and this defense as this matchup is tailormade for our defense and if they gash us up and down the field, I think it will be extremely evident that these guys do not adapt enough to survive.

Moses and Juwan James are subpar OTs who match up very poorly with our ends.  Moses is stout but struggles with speed and we will have JJ and Huff on that side who both should give him trouble on passing downs.  Juwan James is 30, fairly light at 312 and not very good - and he will be getting a ton of Lawson who is very strong and should easily dominate the matchup.    Overall, this means that for all passing downs we should be able to generate a rush with only 4 guys (staple #1 of this defense).

Now, how do we stop the run.  Well staple #2 is that the single high scheme allows for a SS in the box to help clean up the run and we have a SS in Whitehead who not only can do that, but also does well vs running QBs. 

As far as WRs, Baltimore does not have anyone who will require safety help, which will allow our LBs, Whitehead and Joyner to focus solely on our biggest weakness - stopping the TEs.  Andrews and Likely should never be alone on a LB for a single play this game.  If DJ plays we can put Hall on one of them or a LB/S combo on every passing down.  

Baltimore has stars in Andrews and Lamar - but taking Dobbins and Staley out of this game would give any good DC the opportunity to take away the things an offense does well, lets hope our guys can do that.

Demarcus Robinson has been one of the Chiefs top weapons  for years.   You better not sleep on him or going to over over 100 yards receiving on the Jets defense.   Rb  K Drake is very good receiver out of the backfield.      Might see them use him quite a bit this Sunday.  

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

Lamar was like the 2nd or 3rd 'most hit QB' last season. He got sacked 38 times, plus a ton of hits. It's time for the NY Jets to end his career, or at least make him very very sorry he turned down $200m+ guaranteed.

* Unless they've got the next Tom Brady waiting in the wings

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

I love the analysis but worry that Saleh/Ulbrich are tied to running zone 65% of the time.  I wish there was a stat to see how this changed last year but it did feel like zone, zone, third down man.  

Completely agree we have the pieces on the DL and at corner.  But to put a safety in the box, you need to stop the pass and our zone has had so many holes that this has me concerned.  The easy answer is to play more man as you infer.   But will Saleh/Ulbrich show flexibility?

Sauce on Bateman.

DJ or Hall on Duverney.

Carter on Proche when they play 3 WRs.  The following assumes the Ravens play 2 tight end sets the majority of the time.

Alexander on Andrews with Safety help (Whitehead)

Whitehead in box with dual responsibility:  run support / double team on Andrews

Joyner & Mosley alternate on Likely depending on the situation.  Joyner otherwise single high safety.  If Likely is too tough a match-up, I can see a role for Sherwood to replace Mosley on clear passing downs 

'Waterboy' Quincy Williams spies on Lamar.  Keep it simple, that's your guy, now go tackle him hard

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Lamar was like the 2nd or 3rd 'most hit QB' last season. He got sacked 38 times, plus a ton of hits. It's time for the NY Jets to end his career, or at least make him very very sorry he turned down $200m+ guaranteed.

Clemmons may very do just that.  

Never want to see a guy hurt - but if I were Jackson I would keep an eye on that Clemmons though.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The d-line should eat this offensive line alive. Carl Lawson 1 on 1 with Juwan James and Quinnen Williams 1 on 1 with baby arms Linderbaum. Couple this with no wide outs worth mentioning. Stop the scramble and the defense could dominate this game

have you seen the jets defense play? they arent dominating anyone

13 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I love the analysis but worry that Saleh/Ulbrich are tied to running zone 65% of the time.  I wish there was a stat to see how this changed last year but it did feel like zone, zone, third down man.  

Completely agree we have the pieces on the DL and at corner.  But to put a safety in the box, you need to stop the pass and our zone has had so many holes that this has me concerned.  The easy answer is to play more man as you infer.   But will Saleh/Ulbrich show flexibility?

Sauce on Bateman.

DJ or Hall on Duverney.

Carter on Proche when they play 3 WRs.  The following assumes the Ravens play 2 tight end sets the majority of the time.

Alexander on Andrews with Safety help (Whitehead)

Whitehead in box with dual responsibility:  run support / double team on Andrews

Joyner & Mosley alternate on Likely depending on the situation.  Joyner otherwise single high safety.  If Likely is too tough a match-up, I can see a role for Sherwood to replace Mosley on clear passing downs 

'Waterboy' Quincy Williams spies on Lamar.  Keep it simple, that's your guy, now go tackle him hard

"Will Saleh and Ulbrich show flexibility" is the biggest question of the season for this staff.  This system does work with the right players but it also needs to be disguised and used along with man coverage otherwise its too easy to find the holes in the middle of the field (we also dont have Earl Thomas).

I dont see the Ravens using 3WRs very often.  Lamar thrived in 2019 when they were able to run a ton of 2 TE sets and Isiah Likely looks like a real player as their second TE so Im guessing that will be their most used package.  Unfortunately for us, thats a rough matchup because Likely isnt a bad blocker at 245 lbs and is an excellent receiver.  I dont think we can stay in a 4-3 look against these 2 guys given their ability as receivers and MCIII is too small, so we are going to need to play a hybrid nickel with hall as the 5th DB, matched up on one of these guys with Whitehead in the box. 

You also make a good point on alexander, this is a game where we really need his coverage ability. 

• Upvote 1