The Sad Story of My Once Positive Vibes

slats

Same for me, the worst thing would be another darnold situation where we don’t exactly know what he is because he didn’t play enough snaps 

I have been very critical of Wilson lately after this injury but it’s just soooooooo hard to see this situation playing out with a fairytale ending…

Saleh has the guns on defense so if the defense blows there is no excuse for that, don’t blame injuries don’t blame the DC you are the HC Saleh, 

MAN UP

22 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m still looking forward to Sunday, but it’s decidedly different. Zach’s injury took the wind out of my sails, not because I love the guy or anything but because whether he’s gonna be the guy or not is far and away the #1 question facing the entire organization. He needs to play so that that decision can be made. 

Another adjustment I’ve had to make is that the Jets appear to be all in on the passing game. My feeling since the team drafted Breece Hall was that they were gonna rush the football. A lot. Then Becton went down, and they seemed to abandon that. I expected at least one of Bawden or Wesco to make the team, but they cut both in favor of carrying six WRs and Cager -a pure receiving TE- over the blockers. I can understand it from the perspective of who Zach was throwing to at the end of the season (the only player who caught a pass in the last game of the season that’s still on the roster is Jeff Smith), but it seemed to me that putting together a bruising rushing attack would be the best way to cocoon the young QB. Given the OT situation, I have to think Ruckert will be active and getting snaps this week. 

I’m down with starting Flacco. This is the guy the coaches have confidence in. He’ll bring a veteran calming presence to a young team in something of a state of disarray. He should also set a baseline at which the offense should be expected to perform, with the expectation that when the starting QB gets in there, it should be better. I welcome that.  

Looking forward to seeing the young guys play on both sides of the ball. I do believe the defense should take a couple giant steps forward. Saleh’s evaluation is as necessary as Zach’s, and the way he has this team prepared for opening day in the face of all of these setbacks is his first real test of the season. I’d just really prefer it if the starting QB was in the lineup. 

I always look forward to slats' analysis. You make me want to be a better fan.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Same for me, the worst thing would be another darnold situation where we don’t exactly know what he is because he didn’t play enough snaps 

I have been very critical of Wilson lately after this injury but it’s just soooooooo hard to see this situation playing out with a fairytale ending…

Saleh has the guns on defense so if the defense blows there is no excuse for that, don’t blame injuries don’t blame the DC you are the HC Saleh, 

MAN UP

Anyone who couldn’t see how Charmin’ soft Darnold the cotton ball was early in year 3… wasn’t really looking.

It was obvious to me he was total trash by halftime of week 1 at Buffalo. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Anyone who couldn’t see how Charmin’ soft Darnold the cotton ball was early in year 3… wasn’t really looking.

It was obvious to me he was total trash by halftime of week 1 at Buffalo. 

Many here feel similar to Zach.    He played so poorly at times last year, this board was exploding at his errors.

If I were forced to bet....  I wouldn't bet on him being a successful NFL QB.

He showed some signs of brilliance....  over shadowed by poor QB play.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m still looking forward to Sunday, but it’s decidedly different. Zach’s injury took the wind out of my sails, not because I love the guy or anything but because whether he’s gonna be the guy or not is far and away the #1 question facing the entire organization. He needs to play so that that decision can be made. 

Another adjustment I’ve had to make is that the Jets appear to be all in on the passing game. My feeling since the team drafted Breece Hall was that they were gonna rush the football. A lot. Then Becton went down, and they seemed to abandon that. I expected at least one of Bawden or Wesco to make the team, but they cut both in favor of carrying six WRs and Cager -a pure receiving TE- over the blockers. I can understand it from the perspective of who Zach was throwing to at the end of the season (the only player who caught a pass in the last game of the season that’s still on the roster is Jeff Smith), but it seemed to me that putting together a bruising rushing attack would be the best way to cocoon the young QB. Given the OT situation, I have to think Ruckert will be active and getting snaps this week. 

I’m down with starting Flacco. This is the guy the coaches have confidence in. He’ll bring a veteran calming presence to a young team in something of a state of disarray. He should also set a baseline at which the offense should be expected to perform, with the expectation that when the starting QB gets in there, it should be better. I welcome that.  

Looking forward to seeing the young guys play on both sides of the ball. I do believe the defense should take a couple giant steps forward. Saleh’s evaluation is as necessary as Zach’s, and the way he has this team prepared for opening day in the face of all of these setbacks is his first real test of the season. I’d just really prefer it if the starting QB was in the lineup. 

Becton, Zach and now Brown is definitely a bit of a jolt, bur still super excited. I expected the Becton thing and I never thought we were going run heavy. We still have a ton of weapons 

58 minutes ago, slats said:

Samsies

Except I'm markedly less enthusiastic than you. The Jets performing at even an average level on Sunday can alleviate that, but I have the same philosophy about that as I do on Bigfoot -- I'll believe it when I see it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I do believe that the organization is very much in on winning football games this year. JD spent his first couple years clearing bad contracts off the books, then turns around this year and borrows from next season…  for an OT who might start the season on IR? Awesome. But there’s no doubt that a commitment was made to make some improvements in the W/L department. 

If I were to silver lining this situation, it would be that I think Flacco is way under appreciated on this board. He was the team’s best QB, statistically, last year. He’s not gonna get rattled with the shaky OL state of affairs. Like last year, the team has rookies and other new faces being integrated into the offense, and Flacco’s veteran presence should be able to help facilitate their transition well. By the time Zach does come back, most of the wrinkles should be ironed out. Like even the most negative posters on this site, I want nothing more than for Zach to have no excuses once he gets out there. He’ll have fewer coming in after Joe settles the group in over the first three weeks or so. 

All great in theory, but when Flacco gets sacked on 3rd and 12 in the first series all hope will be lost immediately.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Becton, Zach and now Brown is definitely a bit of a jolt, bur still super excited. I expected the Becton thing and I never thought we were going run heavy. We still have a ton of weapons 

I think they’re gonna have to run a lot of 21/12 personnel just to protect the QB. Max Mitchell? Did not see him as a rookie starter. That’s the entire rookie class now expected to either start or be major contributors on opening day. Plus Tony Adams! That’s crazy. This team is so young. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

When we drafted WR at #10 I knew we were going to be passing to open the run like the better teams do. Sadly, we still don't have the OL and we now will struggle with the pass as well. I was okay with Zack missing game #1, losing him for 4 is another story; then our big new LT is out for who knows how long - I sure hope our D will be good, because we are going to be limping into the season on O.

• Upvote 1

If we were all honest, there could be no other appraisal than the Jets are a toxic team.  Toxic to the fans and themselves.  How many more years are we going to hope beyond all hope for some miracle to arise?   And what would that miracle really be?  To win enough games to even crawl into the playoffs?   Not have the season end before it starts?   You can fill in the rest, I'm sure.   Toxic.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

When we drafted WR at #10 I knew we were going to be passing to open the run like the better teams do. Sadly, we still don't have the OL and we now will struggle with the pass as well. I was okay with Zack missing game #1, losing him for 4 is another story; then our big new LT is out for who knows how long - I sure hope our D will be good, because we are going to be limping into the season on O.

Yeah, but then they traded up to pick the top RB in the draft?!?

I was very surprised when they let Bawden and Wesco -the mini draft’s biggest star- go. But I’ve loved wide open offenses since way before they became popular with the kids, so I do look forward to seeing how they deploy this stable of weapons. 

I can live with Wilson sitting for 3 games, even though I'm not thrilled with it,  if he plays the remaining 13-14 games.  The Becton injury was a major disappointment because I was optimistic he was fine when JD virtually ignored OT in the draft and in free agency.  That was a major mistake that appeared to be corrected with the Brown signing. Now with Brown out for who knows how long, this is turning into a mess.  

Agree that the OL woes now make the Wilson injury more palatable and him sitting a few games even preferable to him facing a pass rush every week.  In retrospect, JD should have sacrificed one of the top picks for a OT in the draft.  And that rookie OT could have replaced Fant if Becton were healthy or Becton if he was not.  The most important thing for the team this year is to evaluate what they have in Wilson.  That appears as if it may not happen because he and OL are injured.  This team can live without Gardner, G. Wilson, Johnson, or Hall, but it can't play this season with a patchwork OL.  Yet that is what it has.  They are one more injury away from OL disaster.

My hope for this season was to see improvement from Wilson and the team.  I saw a 6-7 season coming in which the team would be better and more competitive.  Now I wonder if 6-7 wins is even attainable and we may see another 4-5 win season because of awful tackle play and a QB who missed half of training camp and may be bothered by a bone bruise for the entire season.  

The saving grace for me the past few years has been Sunday Ticket.  Not because I could watch the Jets out of market, but because I am in market and could watch other games when the Jets just stunk.  I moved and no longer can have Directv, so I am stuck with the games on network TV in NY and the crappy version of the Red Zone Channel.  I was ok with that if the Jets were improved.  But I am expecting a rough start to the season and that means more Red Zone and less Jets.  

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Defense needs to ball out. Silence the doubters. Verify that going light in preseason was a good decision. The defense is healthy. Let’s see them get after Jackson and have the building making some noise in the second half. 

The defense is going to be on the field for 95% of the game and the stadium will be dead silent by midway through the 2nd quarter.

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You’re a better man than I Slats.  As of today, I do not give a single you-know-what about this Sunday’s game.  I’m not even sure it’s the game I’ll be watching.

Who would've thought that all the past seasons being over by Halloween was not the bottom?

• Upvote 1