The Sad Story of My Once Positive Vibes

slats

I’m still looking forward to Sunday, but it’s decidedly different. Zach’s injury took the wind out of my sails, not because I love the guy or anything but because whether he’s gonna be the guy or not is far and away the #1 question facing the entire organization. He needs to play so that that decision can be made. 

Another adjustment I’ve had to make is that the Jets appear to be all in on the passing game. My feeling since the team drafted Breece Hall was that they were gonna rush the football. A lot. Then Becton went down, and they seemed to abandon that. I expected at least one of Bawden or Wesco to make the team, but they cut both in favor of carrying six WRs and Cager -a pure receiving TE- over the blockers. I can understand it from the perspective of who Zach was throwing to at the end of the season (the only player who caught a pass in the last game of the season that’s still on the roster is Jeff Smith), but it seemed to me that putting together a bruising rushing attack would be the best way to cocoon the young QB. Given the OT situation, I have to think Ruckert will be active and getting snaps this week. 

I’m down with starting Flacco. This is the guy the coaches have confidence in. He’ll bring a veteran calming presence to a young team in something of a state of disarray. He should also set a baseline at which the offense should be expected to perform, with the expectation that when the starting QB gets in there, it should be better. I welcome that.  

Looking forward to seeing the young guys play on both sides of the ball. I do believe the defense should take a couple giant steps forward. Saleh’s evaluation is as necessary as Zach’s, and the way he has this team prepared for opening day in the face of all of these setbacks is his first real test of the season. I’d just really prefer it if the starting QB was in the lineup. 
Wow, an actual adult contribution. Nice one... for me ... My breaking point was the attrition on the oline

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Defense needs to ball out. Silence the doubters. Verify that going light in preseason was a good decision. The defense is healthy. Let’s see them get after Jackson and have the building making some noise in the second half. 

I'm not interested in short term positives.  I really don't care if they win Sunday or not. I want to see a team that is building for future success. By this time every season , I don't give a crap what happened last season.  A competitive team this season with Flacco at QB indicates nothing. It is 2015 all over again with 2016 looming.  This team needs to know if Wilson is the QB or not and if not, explore the next option - through free agency, the draft, or trade.  Another year of uncertainty is a major problem. And  we fans need to stop hoping for one good game or one good season.  That wears off in a week or a year.  The two things that needed to be built by now - a strong OL and a QB - are the weak links before a single play.  That is what is so disappointing for me.  I don't care about whether the team plays well into the 2nd half on Sunday. I want to see progress in 2022 that indicates it will continue in future seasons.

• Upvote 3

Ooof, what a gloomy week 1.

Listen, if we pick too 5 again, you take a QB. And you keep taking a QB until you find one… or two even.

Zach can come into camp next year with the rookie. He earns the job, he keeps the rookie in ice. If not, well bye.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'm not interested in short term positives.  I really don't care if they win Sunday or not. I want to see a team that is building for future success. By this time every season , I don't give a crap what happened last season.  A competitive team this season with Flacco at QB indicates nothing. It is 2015 all over again with 2016 looming.  This team needs to know if Wilson is the QB or not and if not, explore the next option - through free agency, the draft, or trade.  Another year of uncertainty is a major problem. And  we fans need to stop hoping for one good game or one good season.  That wears off in a week or a year.  The two things that needed to be built by now - a strong OL and a QB - are the weak links before a single play.  That is what is so disappointing for me.  I don't care about whether the team plays well into the 2nd half on Sunday. I want to see progress in 2022 that indicates it will continue in future seasons.

It sucks, but the defense has all the pieces to be good. There’s no excuses for them to not play well. Zach being likely a sunk cost…the team has to get over that and play the season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Listen, if we pick too 5 again, you take a QB. And you keep taking a QB until you find one… or two even.

Zach can come into camp next year with the rookie. He earns the job, he keeps the rookie in ice. If not, well bye.

I don’t think you ever take a rookie QB until you know you have a competent coaching staff. We keep hiring first time HC disasters who seem lost and need veteran QBs to help determine if the coaches are worth committing to. Just my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have no sympathy for anyone who thought this group had the potential to be good. You could see the red flags a-flying when Saleh surrounded himself with his buddies instead of capable veteran coaches, and once they handed the whole program over to the goober from Utah, they had doomed themselves for good. Now, the sole mission is to get out from under their own bungling. If you just now feel bad about what’s happening, congratulations. You are Wile E. Coyote smashing your face into a portrait of a tunnel painted on the side of a mountain. 

Didn’t you say that this team, led by Flacco/a competent QB, could potentially rattle off 9-10 wins, like, a month ago?

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have no sympathy for anyone who thought this group had the potential to be good. You could see the red flags a-flying when Saleh surrounded himself with his buddies instead of capable veteran coaches, and once they handed the whole program over to the goober from Utah, they had doomed themselves for good. Now, the sole mission is to get out from under their own bungling. If you just now feel bad about what’s happening, congratulations. You are Wile E. Coyote smashing your face into a portrait of a tunnel painted on the side of a mountain. 

hmm sorta like rooting for a 3rd string QB

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not Flacco, but Garoppolo

I mean, I’m not a Flacco person, but I don’t think his status is much different than Jimmy G.  He’s a game manager at this point of his career.  Game managers don’t win 9-10 games unless the team is good.  That would directly contradict your “…anyone who thought this group had the potential to be good.” statement.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, I’m not a Flacco person, but I don’t think his status is much different than Jimmy G.  He’s a game manager at this point of his career.  Game managers don’t win 9-10 games unless the team is good.  That would directly contradict your “…anyone who thought this group had the potential to be good.” statement.

The only reason to have hope that Flacco can generate wins is b/c of the speed they have at wr, and that they have legit receivers at TE and RB.  The entire offseason on offense the past 2 yrs was geared to get rid of guys they had to play at wr/te/rb who could only do one thing (wesco, if you think he could block, Robbie, who could run 1 route, all the rbs who were useless).  Compared to when mccagnan left, these positions have been majorly upgraded, and that’s even before you consider whether mims will ever contribute.  So if the jets (lefleur) can devise a way to get the ball out quickly to these guys, spread the field and take some shots downfield, they may be able to get some success early on in the game.  B/c they’re not coming back if they’re down 14-0.  This team needs some points in the first quarter, they need first downs and confidence.  Use the speed, spread the ball around.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This group was never going to start Jimmy Garoppolo, they were going to start Zach Wilson until Zach Wilson burned the building to the ground. Garoppolo is limited, but he’s not a game manager. He’s just a guy who knows the offense and gets the ball out of his hand quickly, which makes everyone around him better. Zach Wilson makes everyone around him worse. Thus, this group was never going to be good.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

The only reason to have hope that Flacco can generate wins is b/c of the speed they have at wr, and that they have legit receivers at TE and RB.  The entire offseason on offense the past 2 yrs was geared to get rid of guys they had to play at wr/te/rb who could only do one thing.  Compared to when mccagnan left, these positions have been majorly upgraded, and that’s even before you consider whether mims will ever contribute.  So if the jets (lefleur) can devise a way to get the ball out quickly to these guys, spread the field and take some shots downfield, they may be able to get some success early on in the game.  B/c they’re not coming back if they’re down 14-0.  This team needs some points in the first quarter, they need first downs and confidence.  Use the speed, spread the ball around.

Oh, don’t get me wrong.  I think Flacco is straight up dog-water and this place is gonna be a whole bunch of shocked Pikachu faces when we get blown out 35-10 Sunday.

Even if he plays well, I honestly don’t care, lol.  His roster spot is just as useless as the stats he’s going to put up over the next couple of weeks.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This group was never going to start Jimmy Garoppolo, they were going to start Zach Wilson until Zach Wilson burned the building to the ground. Garoppolo is limited, but he’s not a game manager. He’s just a guy who knows the offense and gets the ball out of his hand quickly, which makes everyone around him better. Zach Wilson makes everyone around him worse. Thus, this group was never going to be good.

You lost me at “Jimmy Garoppolo is not a game manager.”

These posts were really just a whole lot of words to reiterate that you think Saleh and Wilson suck for the 1,000,000th time.  That’s fine.  Hold that opinion if you want; but don’t sit here and pretend that you truly believe Jimmy G. is something that he, very clearly, isn’t to make that statement (again).  The guy threw 20 touchdowns in 17 games on a loaded team last year.  He won a playoff game going 16-25 for 172 yards and a pick.  If you look up game-manager in the dictionary, his handsome & gorgeous face would be there looking back and seducing you.  If you truly believe he wins 10 games with this team, you think the team is good.  Anything else is delusion regarding what Jimmy is. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I’m still looking forward to Sunday, but it’s decidedly different. Zach’s injury took the wind out of my sails, not because I love the guy or anything but because whether he’s gonna be the guy or not is far and away the #1 question facing the entire organization. He needs to play so that that decision can be made. 

Another adjustment I’ve had to make is that the Jets appear to be all in on the passing game. My feeling since the team drafted Breece Hall was that they were gonna rush the football. A lot. Then Becton went down, and they seemed to abandon that. I expected at least one of Bawden or Wesco to make the team, but they cut both in favor of carrying six WRs and Cager -a pure receiving TE- over the blockers. I can understand it from the perspective of who Zach was throwing to at the end of the season (the only player who caught a pass in the last game of the season that’s still on the roster is Jeff Smith), but it seemed to me that putting together a bruising rushing attack would be the best way to cocoon the young QB. Given the OT situation, I have to think Ruckert will be active and getting snaps this week. 

I’m down with starting Flacco. This is the guy the coaches have confidence in. He’ll bring a veteran calming presence to a young team in something of a state of disarray. He should also set a baseline at which the offense should be expected to perform, with the expectation that when the starting QB gets in there, it should be better. I welcome that.  

Looking forward to seeing the young guys play on both sides of the ball. I do believe the defense should take a couple giant steps forward. Saleh’s evaluation is as necessary as Zach’s, and the way he has this team prepared for opening day in the face of all of these setbacks is his first real test of the season. I’d just really prefer it if the starting QB was in the lineup. 

So do you have to ban yourself now? 

• Post of the Week 1

My expectations have been lowered, but my optimism that the defense and special teams will step up and make games fun to watch has been raised. 

This is a great opportunity for the coaches to earn their keep. Let's see what Lafleur can dial up to keep the chains moving.  Let's see what Saleh/Ulbrich could do with an upgraded defense. 

• Upvote 2

LOL Zach Wilson and a 37 yo OT are probably on the bottom of my list of things I am excited about this season.

I think some people here need to reevaluate a lot of things.  If we get smoked on Sunday we're gonna have a lot bigger problems than an OT and struggling QB.  It's about wins and this CS proving they aren't frauds.  Losing 2 lackluster players is not an excuse.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean.. if you have a franchise QB like Aaron Rodgers.. you wouldn't draft another one..

55 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How on earth is our OL our weak link?  We have 2 players out.  This happens every week to many teams.  Mitchell is starting Sunday.  If he's an absolute trainwreck, players will be looked into to replace him should Brown go to IR.

This team being competitive with Flacco for 4 games is DEFINITELY important.  If they get their teeth kicked in every week like last year, we have a coaching problem.  If not, well that's good, isn't it?  Zach is going to play this season.  If he comes back and the team is much worse off (in the easier half of our schedule), then we have our answer.  Flacco can retire/be cut next offseason and another option at QB can be brought in to beat out Zach.

Nothing has changed.  If everyone was super healthy and Zach started week 1 and sucked a** all season, well that wouldn't be much better.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Oh, don’t get me wrong.  I think Flacco is straight up dog-water and this place is gonna be a whole bunch of shocked Pikachu faces when we get blown out 35-10 Sunday.

Even if he plays well, I honestly don’t care, lol.  His roster spot is just as useless as the stats he’s going to put up over the next couple of weeks.

Flacco still has an arm, and his experience should matter in theory.  So if there’s a good game plan, and they can get the ball out in space to these guys, they’ve got a chance.  Plus they know they can’t run, and that’s before mitchell was starting.  

2 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah. Pretty much this.

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm just tuning in this season for tweets from Jeremy Ruckert's dad.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Flacco still has an arm, and his experience should matter in theory.  So if there’s a good game plan, and they can get the ball out in space to these guys, they’ve got a chance.  Plus they know they can’t run, and that’s before mitchell was starting.  

I don’t think they stand a snowball’s chance in hell but, again, even if they do win, i don’t really care.  It’s pointless.  Flacco isn’t here long-term and he’s not Vinny T 2.0 so we’re not going on some fairytale run with him.  Us losing all the games he starts is, quite honestly, the best case long-term solution, in the event that Zach sucks and we need a new plan at QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1