The Sad Story of My Once Positive Vibes

slats

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Thanks. The worst is behind us. It’s our second time around. We had my son at the ER last week, his o2 dropped to about 90 and his asthma had him in a perpetual coughing fit. He’s good now. Everything since has been much milder.

Very sorry to hear about this.  I spent many days giving my son nebulizer treatments, so can empathize with your situation.  It's never easy to see our little ones suffer.   Glad that everyone is feeling better.   Sending best thoughts to you all.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, but then they traded up to pick the top RB in the draft?!?

I was very surprised when they let Bawden and Wesco -the mini draft’s biggest star- go. But I’ve loved wide open offenses since way before they became popular with the kids, so I do look forward to seeing how they deploy this stable of weapons. 

True, but he isn't a ground and pound type of back. He is also very good as a receiver. Wesco was only good at blocking, which supports the notion it is more pass to open the run.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

True, but he isn't a ground and pound type of back. He is also very good as a receiver. Wesco was only good at blocking, which supports the notion it is more pass to open the run.

Wesco was billed as a good blocker, but really he wasn’t that good.  Ruckert will be a better blocker right off the bat plus he can catch.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wesco was billed as a good blocker, but really he wasn’t that good.  Ruckert will be a better blocker right off the bat plus he can catch.  

Yes, but he was our best blocker. But, I am high on Ruckert - but if we were going ground and pound, we would have kept Wesco for two tight end sets when running. With Ruckert in game, he can block or catch. Again, using the pass to disguise and set up the run.

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Thanks. The worst is behind us. It’s our second time around. We had my son at the ER last week, his o2 dropped to about 90 and his asthma had him in a perpetual coughing fit. He’s good now. Everything since has been much milder.

Oh man, so sorry to hear this. I’ve had chronic asthma my whole life and have been in the emergency room multiple times. Glad he’s feeling better, it’s a tough thing to deal with (having your lungs seize up and feeling like you’re never going to get all the air you need). 

• Sympathy 2

18 hours ago, slats said:

I’m still looking forward to Sunday, but it’s decidedly different. Zach’s injury took the wind out of my sails, not because I love the guy or anything but because whether he’s gonna be the guy or not is far and away the #1 question facing the entire organization. He needs to play so that that decision can be made. 

Another adjustment I’ve had to make is that the Jets appear to be all in on the passing game. My feeling since the team drafted Breece Hall was that they were gonna rush the football. A lot. Then Becton went down, and they seemed to abandon that. I expected at least one of Bawden or Wesco to make the team, but they cut both in favor of carrying six WRs and Cager -a pure receiving TE- over the blockers. I can understand it from the perspective of who Zach was throwing to at the end of the season (the only player who caught a pass in the last game of the season that’s still on the roster is Jeff Smith), but it seemed to me that putting together a bruising rushing attack would be the best way to cocoon the young QB. Given the OT situation, I have to think Ruckert will be active and getting snaps this week. 

I’m down with starting Flacco. This is the guy the coaches have confidence in. He’ll bring a veteran calming presence to a young team in something of a state of disarray. He should also set a baseline at which the offense should be expected to perform, with the expectation that when the starting QB gets in there, it should be better. I welcome that.  

Looking forward to seeing the young guys play on both sides of the ball. I do believe the defense should take a couple giant steps forward. Saleh’s evaluation is as necessary as Zach’s, and the way he has this team prepared for opening day in the face of all of these setbacks is his first real test of the season. I’d just really prefer it if the starting QB was in the lineup. 

Well said, I feel the same way.  The news of Flacco starting was deflating, for sure but still excited to see the new pieces and young players.

However, I'm not exactly convinced they're not going to be a run heavy offense.  I think Conklin/Ruckert are you HB replacements and I would hope upgrades.  Lets be real, nobody is missing Wesco and Bawden.  These are guys who were playing strictly because the talent level was so bad last year.

The only thing that I guess I'm excited about w/ Flacco instead of Wilson, is I do think he'll spread the ball around more so we'll get to see more guys get opportunities.  Moore and Flacco had a nice little connection last year, I think they keep it up which also should help the running game.  So, yes, sh*tty situation, very deflating but the Jets will win Sunday so that should be fun.

• Upvote 3

I'm pretty much over Wilson at this point. I think this knee is going to be a cause of concern the entire season and he won't fully trust it which will effect his play. We aren't  going to see what he can be because of this. I mean he did this making a cut and it wasn't  even a hard one. And now that the OL is falling off, I will be totally focused on the pass rusher this season. If the Jets D can consistently  pressure the QB and get about 3 or 4 sacks a game, I will be at least happy with the HC. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The Positive Vibes are still here.

The worst QB in the NFL is not playing Sunday.

The QB for the opposing team is pissed at his FO.

We have a new Defense in regard to personnel.

We are going for wins this year.

image.png.298a91265d10cb7351f1a870034b97c6.png

Yup . This was my exact point when Zach went down . In what world does Zach not playing mean we are going to win LESS games? He’s not the best QB on the roster and let’s face it …has ALL the signs of being a bust . At this point I want to see some wins and a competitive team with a plan . People saying they were not going to watch this year because Zach wasn’t playing? I don’t get it . But let them do them I guess . I’ll watch the games and root for wins no matter who is playing QB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Zach isn’t the only person being evaluated over at One Jets Drive. Everyone is, from the head coach on down. As disappointed as I am that Zach isn’t starting the season, at least I can look at it like a scientific experiment where we remove one very significant variable -Zach- and replace him with a competent replacement level player in Flacco, and see how the offense performs for three games or so before Zach gets back. If Flacco’s steady hand can help the transitions of GWilson and Hall, all the better. By the time Zach comes back, the OL and the rest of the offense should at least be comfortable, and everyone will have a fair comparison of what Zach looks like out there following the known veteran. 

I fundamentally disagree with the notion that Flacco is a competent replacement level player or a “steady hand” at this point of his career, but to each their own.

I’ve resigned to the fact that the season is, probably, over before Halloween and that the results of college games on Saturdays will be more relevant to the Jets long term future than the ones they play on Sunday, as well.

7 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Yup . This was my exact point when Zach went down . In what world does Zach not playing mean we are going to win LESS games? He’s not the best QB on the roster and let’s face it …has ALL the signs of being a bust . At this point I want to see some wins and a competitive team with a plan . People saying they were not going to watch this year because Zach wasn’t playing? I don’t get it . But let them do them I guess . I’ll watch the games and root for wins no matter who is playing QB. 

Zach Wilson won more games as the starting QB last year than Joe Flacco.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Yes, but he was our best blocker. But, I am high on Ruckert - but if we were going ground and pound, we would have kept Wesco for two tight end sets when running. With Ruckert in game, he can block or catch. Again, using the pass to disguise and set up the run.

I disagree that wesco was essential to ground and pound.  But the jets are not building that type of offense. You don’t draft garrett wilson at 10 to pound it.  This offense has major speed, and guys who can catch at TE and RB finally.  So while 2 yrs ago there were no real TE or RB threats out of the backfield, tomorrow there will be 4 guys who can catch.  Plus you have the wrs, including berrios who gets open.  So i think the best game plan is to come out throwing short passes, spread it around, get the ravens thinking too much and sprinkle in the runs.  Take some shots deep.  Maybe draw a PI.  A conservative game plan plays right into what the ravens want, b/c they win battles of attrition and ball control.  They are not designed for shootouts.  Lamar jackson turns it over, and they don’t have major wr weapons.   If the jets can score some points and actually take a lead the D has a chance.  

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

When even Josh Johnson comes in cold at Indy in prime time (after not playing for like 5 years) and throws for like 300…

It’s not an aberration 

This is the most “QB friendly” offense in the league and Kapono still looked like a fish out of water 

I am not arguing here about "Kapono" good or not but I dont buy that - “QB friendly” offense" BS thats too generic a statement that people luv to throw around because they heard it somewhere.

There a lot of other things in that system that make it "QB Friendly"

The Coach - Shannahan

The running game

The OL

The Opp

etc etc. etc.

Just because you are trying to run the system doesnt mean your version of the system is QB friendly

The Jets version was comical 1st quarter of season and most had nothing to do with the QB

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Yes, but he played fantastic in the 2nd half and made me and so many others feel like we finally had our FQB. If we had gotten that ball back, we would have won that game. Oh, but our "great" defense couldn't get a stop. 

Without that great defense we aren't sniffing the playoffs much less the AFC Championship game. Yes, the letdown was disappointing but the D is the reason we were even playing in that game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Darnold was given 3 seasons and even Gase was given 2... Now people are so needy they want everyone fired after the first year... Jesus christ... Get a grip

I wish we fired Darnold and Gase after their first years.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Zach isn’t the only person being evaluated over at One Jets Drive. Everyone is, from the head coach on down. As disappointed as I am that Zach isn’t starting the season, at least I can look at it like a scientific experiment where we remove one very significant variable -Zach- and replace him with a competent replacement level player in Flacco, and see how the offense performs for three games or so before Zach gets back. If Flacco’s steady hand can help the transitions of GWilson and Hall, all the better. By the time Zach comes back, the OL and the rest of the offense should at least be comfortable, and everyone will have a fair comparison of what Zach looks like out there following the known veteran. 

#FakeJetsFans:  "Let's see how the other 52 guys on this team do before throwing the season out."

#RealJetsFans:  "If Zach Wilson isn't there it doesn't matter.  The other 52 guys are worthless.  Season over."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

#FakeJetsFans:  "Let's see how the other 52 guys on this team do before throwing the season out."

#RealJetsFans:  "If Zach Wilson, or any young QB, isn't there it doesn't matter.  The other 52 guys are worthless.  Season over."

The season is, effectively, over and, yes, stat padding in 5 win seasons is meaningless, especially when the guy throwing the ball to you won’t be here next year.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

#RealJetsFans:  "If Zach Wilson isn't there it doesn't matter.  The other 52 guys are worthless.  Season over."

#RealJetsFans: "If we drafted Marino/Brees/Manning/Mahomes/Allen/etc. they would've totally failed here."

#FakeJetsFans: "Naw. Good QBs would be good QBs on the Jets."

#RealJetsFans: "You hate [INSERT CURRENT "WONDERBOY" QB] and want him to faaaaailllll!!!!!!"

• Haha 3

Just now, jgb said:

#RealJetsFans: "If we drafted Marino/Brees/Manning/Mahomes/Allen/etc. they would've totally failed here."

#FakeJetsFans: "Good QBs would be good QBs on the Jets."

#RealJetsFans: "You hate [INSERT CURRENT "WONDERBOY" QB] and want him to faaaaailllll!!!!!!"

Pennington was a pretty good qb before his shoulder issues, and a good game manager with a weak arm after.  When he went to the dolphins he was the same exact qb.  That’s a good example.  Same with fitz, he was the same qb at every stop in his career.  Sanchez/geno/darnold sucked here and sucked everywhere else.  The jets have drafted crappy qbs.  Like it or not we still don’t know where wilson comes in.  Hopefully he’s better than Sanchez/geno/darnold.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Pennington was a pretty good qb before his shoulder issues, and a good game manager with a weak arm after.  When he went to the dolphins he was the same exact qb.  That’s a good example.  Same with fitz, he was the same qb at every stop in his career.  Sanchez/geno/darnold sucked here and sucked everywhere else.  The jets have drafted crappy qbs.  Like it or not we still don’t know where wilson comes in.  Hopefully he’s better than Sanchez/geno/darnold.

Pennington is held up as the shining example of a homegrown QB around here.  As if fans forget everything that happened after the Colts' playoff game in 2002.

That's how bad things have gotten.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Wilson started 13 games and Flacco started one.  And every QB not named Wilson had the offense looking competent.  But let's just gloss over all that.  #SeasonOver #RealFan 

Right, because the Tennessee game didn’t happen.

Talk about glossing over.

Its alright though, prop up the AARP member for his super valiant performance in a loss against the Dolphins.  I’ll stay expecting and hoping for more than a 37 year old QB who hasn’t won a game since 2019.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pennington is held up as the shining example of a homegrown QB around here.  As if fans forget everything that happened after the Colts' playoff game in 2002.

That's how bad things have gotten.

A hunk a lead in a pile of sh*t sparkles

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Right, because the Tennessee game didn’t happen.

Talk about glossing over.

Its alright though, prop up the AARP member for his super valiant performance in a loss against the Dolphins.  I’ll stay expecting and hoping for more than a 37 year old QB who hasn’t won a game since 2019.

FLASHES!!!!!  Now do the other 12 starts.

The Darnold GB game was better than anything Wilson did last year, and he did it with a far weaker supporting cast.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

#FakeJetsFans: "Naw. Good QBs would be good QBs on the Jets."

depends on what year they would have been drafted here - Marino/Brees/Manning would definately had success esp Manning with Parcells

Mahomes/Allen would have to have survived the coaching circus - Allen took a while to dev sooooo chances are NO