New on-field rules instituted beginning with the 2023 season

TuscanyTile2

Banning the shift will have major consequences for the game.  Personally I think it'll be more enjoyable but, for the next couple of years, the types of players they bring it might be different.  The whole "3 outcome" (HR, BB, K) game thing is due to the approach of "the shift can't defend against a HR".  But if the shift is gone then teams will probably look for different types of hitters (rather than the boring "I only swing for the fences" type guys). 

Not sure that I want a pitch clock, btw.  I like that baseball is the one sport that's not timed.

Btw, the whole "ban the shift" thing will likely cause instant replays like "was the defense in a legal position at the time of the pitch?"  I really dislike instant replay (pretty much in all sports) so that will svck.

47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Banning the shift will have major consequences for the game.  Personally I think it'll be more enjoyable but, for the next couple of years, the types of players they bring it might be different.  The whole "3 outcome" (HR, BB, K) game thing is due to the approach of "the shift can't defend against a HR".  But if the shift is gone then teams will probably look for different types of hitters (rather than the boring "I only swing for the fences" type guys). 

Not sure that I want a pitch clock, btw.  I like that baseball is the one sport that's not timed.

Btw, the whole "ban the shift" thing will likely cause instant replays like "was the defense in a legal position at the time of the pitch?"  I really dislike instant replay (pretty much in all sports) so that will svck.

The pitch clock is really great.  The games go as long as they go, but no one wants to watch a pitcher spending 30-40 second in between each pitch.   The game gets a better flow, and moves along at a better pace.

Banning the shift will be great for the game.  The game is exciting with people on base, this will increase batting averages.

• 4 weeks later...