Jets Place T Duane Brown On IR Call Up T Grant Hermanns

jetsrule128

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I honestly believe that this is something that our owner should be looking into.  I mean, Joe Douglas can't perform the medicals.  All he can do is find the players, have them take the physicals, and believe the medical professionals when they say okay.  That would be true of ANY general manager, not just Joe Douglas.

But this has gotten COMPLETELY out of hand for this team in the last five years.  The number of injuries warrants an investigation into the competency of this medical staff. 

It certainly seems like it. Maybe we were lucky for so many years in the recent past where this type of thing just wasn't happening to our best players before. Def not the line. But it seems like every year we get these outrageous injuries 

3 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

I think many see Duane Brown on IR and think there is a chance he comes back after 4 weeks…

Since he’s a tackle, I can’t see him playing through a rotator cuff injury after 4 weeks of rehab given the range of motion required in pass protection.  

It would be better to think - probably out for the year and move on intellectually and emotionally.

Thank goodness we don’t have much dead cap $, since the $ on injured reserve are starting to climb.

The information I read earlier today bears out what you are saying.  He was recommended to have surgery, he and the team opted to do 4 weeks PT/rehab whatever and then re-assess.  I'd say 50/50 as to whether he ever sees the field this year.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Dude, come on.  The number of injuries this team has incurred over the past 5-7 years is completely unacceptable.  

You can chalk a few injuries up to football.  You can chalk up a lot in one season as bad luck.  But CONTINUALLY having these issues for a decade?

Sorry, but something stinks here.  If not the medical staff, then what?  The turf?  Three different GM's?  Three different coaches?  Dozens of players?

Dude you do realize they’ve had different medical staffs the past 5-7 years?  

Draft poorly  sign fringe FAs watch your injuries stay high.  

4 hours ago, sourceworx said:

It's either the medical staff is grossly incompetent, or our luck is shockingly horrible. This guy is supposed to be an iron man type. And yet he comes here and is on IR before playing a meaningful down for us.

I'm not religious or superstitious, but this team has some crazy-ass level of bad juju. 

What did they do, break his shoulder?  
 Ouldnt be he’s 37 and his shoulder went? 

4 hours ago, JetsRay said:

I love these responses...

No, the position was addressed in the draft, they've been also developing players on the roster. Hermanns was actually on the team last year, but apparently all the fans that love to bitch and moan don't even know he's been with the team for two years. In training camp, Hermanns actually rotated with the starters when Becton first went down.

When the starter and his signed back up go down to injury, and yes, extremely unfortunate if not unlucky, you don't say the GM didn't address the position. 

But JD did address it, just like he addressed many other positions. Our starter tomorrow was actually drafted in the 4th round. That is actually a GOOD thing, and a GOOD reflection on Douglas that the player is much further along than the team anticipated.

The position was addressed poorly, we will get eaten alive by the AFC North, you will see how poorly the tackle position was handled. JD had plenty of chances via Free agency right up to being forced to sign a 37 year old relic to play Left tackle. He also managed to disgruntle Fant who’s been moved yet again. 

Fant won’t resign, and the Jets will need two starting tackles in 2023. Becton won’t take another snap for the Jets. 
I could even see Mike White starting before Wilson returns. If you think the tackle position has been handled well, I hate to see why you think it looks like handled poorly?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

He took a gamble.  Becton has not worked out, but they would have a huge hole at corner, if they took another tackle

Who said anything about drafting an OT over Sauce? I surely didn't. I still think that his 2022 draft was exactly the way it should have been. There were plenty of opportunities to sign or trade for OT depth. JD gambled and lost on this one.

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Who said anything about drafting an OT over Sauce? I surely didn't. I still think that his 2022 draft was exactly the way it should have been. There were plenty of opportunities to sign or trade for OT depth. JD gambled and lost on this one.

I think JD made a huge mistake thinking that Becton could be relied in. If he felt otherwise, he would have went the extra mile to resign Moses, or draft Icky at #4.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, genot said:

I think JD made a huge mistake thinking that Becton could be relied in. If he felt otherwise, he would have went the extra mile to resign Moses, or draft Icky at #4.

I understand why Moses wasn't re-signed, but he would have been an immense upgrade over Brown and would have been cheaper. Relying on Becton was truly a huge mistake like you said. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Can someone explain how this is possible? So this guy just got hurt in practice for us? We either just have the worst luck ever or this guy was already hurt and our medical staff sucks again...as always...I mean holy crap

How about both

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He was injured Monday.  
He signed, practiced and played in the preseason.  
Blaming the medical staff is old.  Everything that goes wrong doesn’t have to have a villain to blame 

That's fine to say that, and in general I would agree if it were an outlier.   However, historically, the Jets medical staff has screwed this stuff up.   Just in the past year or two off the top of my head (and I have practically given up and barely pay attention other than following this site), you have a 2 week becton injury last year and he was out for the year.   A becton injury in training camp this year which was reported to be nothing and is again out for this year.   A knee injury to the QB which was supposed to be max  4 weeks which is now at LEAST 2 months.   Add in a newly signed offensive veteran offensive lineman all of the sudden injuring his shoulder less than a week after he was signed.   I'm sure those that follow more closely could add a lot more....put please dont tell me at least some of this is not on the medical staff not having a clue.

34 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I understand why Moses wasn't re-signed, but he would have been an immense upgrade over Brown and would have been cheaper. Relying on Becton was truly a huge mistake like you said. 

I was behind re-signing him, but with the grain of salt just so they wouldn’t feel the pressure to force their hand with their top pick plus experience in the system. 

Now many have Moses badly hindsight-overrated as though they didn’t watch the 2021 season. Brown was a demonstrably superior player. Moses was merely fine overall because he was a pretty good run blocker, and was a rock in terms of health, but in pass blocking he was below average & let a sh** ton of pressure get through. Easy to forget he outright lost the starting RT competition to Fant, who wasn’t coming off such a hot season himself at the position.

Fact is Moses was among the top 5-7 league leaders in allowed QB pressures, and in QB hurries, and in QB hits. Not just among RTs, but among all tackles. In terms of protecting the QB he was probably coming off his worst season as a starter. If any or all of our QBs had Lamar Jackson’s wheels then maybe that’d not be as much of a concern, but none do.

This was no stud we failed to re-sign, despite all the short term memory going on now. The truth is the Jets needed to get better at the RT position. I’d have been behind bringing him back, but now way in hell, as a condition for re-signing him, would I have guaranteed him a starting job. Let alone next to a 2nd year G who wasn’t exactly an elite pass blocker himself as a rookie. That’s no way to improve the team.

The current injuries suck ass, but Moses was nothing great himself.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What, you don't think that's exactly what happened?

Obviously I was joking, but this is the type of sh*t that this board does with Wilson - just about anything negative that happens to the Jets, someone finds a way to blame it on Zach - and the rest just latch and pile on.  And it's annoying.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

6 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I was for going OT early but they way that draft went, JD really killed it.  Outside of our perennial QB woes I like the way this team is constructed atm.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was behind re-signing him, but with the grain of salt just so they wouldn’t feel the pressure to force their hand with their top pick plus experience in the system. 

Now many have Moses badly hindsight-overrated as though they didn’t watch the 2021 season. Brown was a demonstrably superior player. Moses was merely fine overall because he was a pretty good run blocker, and was a rock in terms of health, but in pass blocking he was below average & let a sh** ton of pressure get through. Easy to forget he outright lost the starting RT competition to Fant, who wasn’t coming off such a hot season himself at the position.

Fact is Moses was among the top 5-7 league leaders in allowed QB pressures, and in QB hurries, and in QB hits. Not just among RTs, but among all tackles. In terms of protecting the QB he was probably coming off his worst season as a starter. If any or all of our QBs had Lamar Jackson’s wheels then maybe that’d not be as much of a concern, but none do.

This was no stud we failed to re-sign, despite all the short term memory going on now. The truth is the Jets needed to get better at the RT position. I’d have been behind bringing him back, but now way in hell, as a condition for re-signing him, would I have guaranteed him a starting job. Let alone next to a 2nd year G who wasn’t exactly an elite pass blocker himself as a rookie. That’s no way to improve the team.

The current injuries suck ass, but Moses was nothing great himself.

A lot of those pressures Sperm was earlier in the year, when Van Royen was finally replaced. Plus let's not forget Wilson holding on to the ball too long.

I was all in on drafting an OT in Round 1 for exactly today’s (easily predictable) reason. That said, I liked our draft but let’s see how the season plays out. If we can’t establish a run game (and I don’t care how good a RB is if the OL can’t open holes) and if whoever is our QB is running for his life, it was a grave error to neglect taking a OL early or at least waiting to add an OT until so late we ended up with a 37 Year old injury fill-in.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I as for going OT early but they way that draft went, JD really killed it.  Outside of our perennial QB woes I like the way this team is constructed atm.

JD used 2 first rounders on OL in the last 3 years. His commitment to the OL isn’t in question… his choice of Becton over Wirfs a colossal blunder, however.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, genot said:

In retrospect, the obvious move would have been to sign Moses to starting RT money for 2-3 yrs as the Ravens did, and then let Becton and Fant battle it out for the LT job…winner plays, loser is backup. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, genot said:

A lot of those pressures Sperm was earlier in the year, when Van Royen was finally replaced. Plus let's not forget Wilson holding on to the ball too long.

You'd think so, except:

Moses:

• weeks 1-5 with Wilson at his worst in holding the ball:
    • 0.8 QB hits + 2.2 hurries + 3.2 pressures
  • weeks 6-10 without Wilson (actually Wilson played ~20% of week 6):
    • 0.8 QB hits + 2.0 hurries + 3.0 pressures
  • weeks 11-17 with Wilson: 
    • 0.3 QB hits + 2.1 hurries + 2.6 pressures

Also note in weeks 6-10 , guys were still getting to (or just about to) the QB even when White & Flacco were getting rid of the ball in 2.5 and 2.3 seconds, respectively. Well faster than the league average and Moses still let his man into the backfield too often. 

In pass protection it just wasn't a particularly solid season from Moses. There's some real revisionist history going on that he was an asset in giving the Jets' QBs time in the pocket.

This isn't some hate-fest. Again, I was totally in favor of re-signing Moses -- but no way would it be under the conditions that they'd guarantee him a starting job as he continues to get further into his 30s. The Jets needed better play from the RT position than he provided last year. Becton, for all his unreliability, is a more talented player on the field, so for as long as he could've stayed on it, hell yeah I'd want them to play Becton over Moses. 

Also Van Roten being in the mix would've technically helped Moses's pressure/hurries stats because GVR would often give up pressure or a sack even before Moses. Ditto AVT, for that matter. What would've hurt Moses's blocking #s is if he was the only meh to bleh pass blocker on the line because the pressure would've always seemed to have come from RT. Always playing with 2 of our 3-letter guards - GVR, AVT, LDT - who themselves gave up a bunch of pressure -- helped Moses in this regard, as they each gave Moses a lot of cover by not having him stick out as the lone culprit 80% of the time. 

e.g. take a game like week 11 (blocking for Flacco), where Tardiff gave up 7 pressures, 5 hurries, 1 hit, and 1 sack. Statistically that was (unsurprisingly) one of Moses's better performances of the year: 2 pressures, 2 hurries, and no hits or sacks. There were outliers, like the game Wilson got injured vs NE when the whole line pass-blocked well (at least on paper). But if one or two others were absolute turnstiles, they let up pressure (or a sack) before Moses could, not to mention the D would load up more pressure towards them instead of Moses, to push where there's mush. 

The only (generally) consistent pass blockers on the '21 team were Fant and McGovern (and the latter had a couple moments of his own). AVT's excuse is he was a rookie, so we should expect him to improve tremendously. Then the other guard position was swapped with Tomlinson, which should result in even more improvement. Fant - when he's healthy - was outstanding in pass protection, and most of the time McGovern was at least adequate in that dept. 

The line's solid except for a huge ? at RT right now. Hope not, but being realistic I half-expect to cover my eyes on Flacco's behalf at least a little bit today, lol.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Dude you do realize they’ve had different medical staffs the past 5-7 years?  

Draft poorly  sign fringe FAs watch your injuries stay high.  

This seems to be a good article on the subject.  You have to wonder, when the Jets are consistently one of the most injured teams, why they have not been looking into the matter.  Perhaps there really is something to the condition of the field, as multiple players on opposing teams have called that out.  However, if that were the case, you would think the Giants would see tons of injuries too.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/06/24/ny-jets-injuries-analysis-solution/

18 hours ago, GandWFan said:

So he can come back for week 5.  Not season ending.

OH GREAT

for the record, the past 4 straight years - our season was effectively over by week 5.

But 2017 was promising- we were 2-2. Finished 5-11. 

Year before that, we started 1-3 & finished 5-11.

-

My point is, if the 1st quarter resembles ANYTHING like a Ravens beatdown, we're done for. Becton was a disastrous pick. 

Just now, sackdance said:

OH GREAT

for the record, the past 4 straight years - our season was effectively over by week 5.

-

My point is, if the 1st quarter resembles ANYTHING like a Ravens beatdown, we're done for. Becton was a disastrous pick. We just put money in DB's pocket, really.  Can't blame him for being opportunistic,  but I'm not going to put any hope for him to contribute.

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You'd think so, except:

Moses:

• weeks 1-5 with Wilson at his worst in holding the ball:
    • 0.8 QB hits + 2.2 hurries + 3.2 pressures
  • weeks 6-10 without Wilson (actually Wilson played ~20% of week 6):
    • 0.8 QB hits + 2.0 hurries + 3.0 pressures
  • weeks 11-17 with Wilson: 
    • 0.3 QB hits + 2.1 hurries + 2.6 pressures

Also note in weeks 6-10 , guys were still getting to (or just about to) the QB even when White & Flacco were getting rid of the ball in 2.5 and 2.3 seconds, respectively. Well faster than the league average and Moses still let his man into the backfield too often. 

In pass protection it just wasn't a particularly solid season from Moses. There's some real revisionist history going on that he was an asset in giving the Jets' QBs time in the pocket.

This isn't some hate-fest. Again, I was totally in favor of re-signing Moses -- but no way would it be under the conditions that they'd guarantee him a starting job as he continues to get further into his 30s. The Jets needed better play from the RT position than he provided last year. Becton, for all his unreliability, is a more talented player on the field, so for as long as he could've stayed on it, hell yeah I'd want them to play Becton over Moses. 

Also Van Roten being in the mix would've technically helped Moses's pressure/hurries stats because GVR would often give up pressure or a sack even before Moses. Ditto AVT, for that matter. What would've hurt Moses's blocking #s is if he was the only meh to bleh pass blocker on the line because the pressure would've always seemed to have come from RT. Always playing with 2 of our 3-letter guards - GVR, AVT, LDT - who themselves gave up a bunch of pressure -- helped Moses in this regard, as they each gave Moses a lot of cover by not having him stick out as the lone culprit 80% of the time. 

e.g. take a game like week 11 (blocking for Flacco), where Tardiff gave up 7 pressures, 5 hurries, 1 hit, and 1 sack. Statistically that was (unsurprisingly) one of Moses's better performances of the year: 2 pressures, 2 hurries, and no hits or sacks. There were outliers, like the game Wilson got injured vs NE when the whole line pass-blocked well (at least on paper). But if one or two others were absolute turnstiles, they let up pressure (or a sack) before Moses could, not to mention the D would load up more pressure towards them instead of Moses, to push where there's mush. 

The only (generally) consistent pass blockers on the '21 team were Fant and McGovern (and the latter had a couple moments of his own). AVT's excuse is he was a rookie, so we should expect him to improve tremendously. Then the other guard position was swapped with Tomlinson, which should result in even more improvement. Fant - when he's healthy - was outstanding in pass protection, and most of the time McGovern was at least adequate in that dept. 

The line's solid except for a huge ? at RT right now. Hope not, but being realistic I half-expect to cover my eyes on Flacco's behalf at least a little bit today, lol.  

The only sure things in this life are death, taxes, and multi paragraph posts by Sperm. Interesting, and hard to dispute facts in your post Sperm. Yes, Moses was less than what some of us thought he was here. Still, though a reliable, stabilizing force on an offensive line in turmoil.

• Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, sackdance said:

OH GREAT

-

My point is, if the 1st quarter resembles ANYTHING like a Ravens beatdown, we're done for. Becton was a disastrous pick. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Bla, bla, bla.  2019 is over.  Get over it.  New team, new results.

J E T S , Jets, Jets, Jets 

LFGJ

12 hours ago, naturalscience said:

What the actual f@ck!

Unbelievable. 

We had such a good o line for a stretch.

Did D'Brick and Mangold curse us on the way out the door ?

Holy sh1t.

D'B & Mangold are fully retired.

Duane Brown was just about retired when we lured him back into the game. Please manage all expectations with this guy. We dragged another former All-Pro (center) out of retirement two seasons ago. He sucked so bad I forget his name. I'm not saying a fully past prime Brown will be a disaster, but who can be surprised by shaky results from desperate moves.