This team is not well coached

Facts

44 minutes ago, Alka said:

I respectfully don't agree.  Certainly there are other elements to this loss, but coaching is certainly one of them.

Deciding how the secondary would play man to man or not, starting Joe Flacco or White based upon their individual strengths and weaknesses.  Another head coach might have started White over Flacco.  Another coach might have had the team play man-to man, and this seems to be a strength of Sauce, who we picked up with our first pick. How come the tight ends were not involved in the game until very late?  Didn't the Jets just invest so much in the tight end position?  Isn't it up to the coaching staff to implement that part of the offense?

I think that coaching was not the primary reason for this loss, but to me, it is a secondary but not primary factor. 

Most of this is hindsight analysis.

Sauce wasn't the problem, so saying he should have played differently isn't the problem either.  The problem is they have Sauce, Reed, and then no one seems to belong on an NFL field.

As for the offense, it doesn't matter who you try to throw the ball to if you have no time to throw.  We got killed by injuries, Fant regressed (hopefully due to consistently swapping sides), and our FA guard addition was not good.  Throwing to the TEs started working because Baltimore stopped needing to do anything but keep the ball in front of them.

The team is another good offseason away from not being a bottom feeder, and that's IF we can get any kind of QB play.

1 hour ago, Facts said:

This is just embarrassing. Saleh needs to go back to being a coordinator.

A bit of a stretch on the coaching issue but where is the logic in mims being inactive?

to start, I am not suggesting in any way he is productive or should even be on the roster. That ship is in the Bermuda triangle.

first day of camp, he lights it up. Has a few more and the constant is Flacco at qb.

so now I try to look at it logically and think if Flacco is qb and he has some type of chemistry/ rythym with a 6’3 receiver, he has to see some snaps.

nope - inactive,

this is in no way a defense of mims - just a viewpoint on the bizarre inconsistency with the coaching staff

5 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Hope Salesman plays Garret Wilson more than 3 plays when the game is still within reach. Hope he knows he has a back up QB with great running legs relegated to the PS. Hope he realizes Flacco stinks and should be a back up only, regardless of who the starter is. Hope he realizes that the game was not over altogether at 10-3 and give Mike White a series or 2 when Flacco stunk it up. You never know, White could have gotten hot.

Come on, stop making excuses for Coach Salesman, he is not a good HC. He's a real good talker, and has shown nothing but talk in the year he's been here. They've shown no improvement with supposedly beter personel thanks to the greatest GM in history, and have seemingly no chance to compete with good teams like today and its painfully obvious as to why.

Garrett was in his first NFL game.  He's going to be a good player.  He was not the difference between a win and a loss, or even a close game today.

It's not about making excuses.  It's about actually looking at what's going one.  2nd string QB, ravaged and underwhelming offensive line... The defense was actually admirable for a bit, considering.  The supposed greatest HC of all time is .500 since losing his QB, and possibly trending downwards.  We don't have the horses to be good.  The team wasn't a mess out there - they just weren't good enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Problem is the Johnsons somehow always manage to hire the lowest-priced  coordinator on the coaching market. Payton and John Gruden (admittedly with baggage) are both available next year. But like Bill Cowher going on forever, somehow, Jets will never hire that big time experienced coach. Heck, they don't even bother interviewing quality college coaches. So every HC forever is learning how to be a HC on the job here. 

Gruden is never coaching in the NFL again.  

Cowher is never coaching in the NFL again.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Most of this is hindsight analysis.

Sauce wasn't the problem, so saying he should have played differently isn't the problem either.  The problem is they have Sauce, Reed, and then no one seems to belong on an NFL field.

As for the offense, it doesn't matter who you try to throw the ball to if you have no time to throw.  We got killed by injuries, Fant regressed (hopefully due to consistently swapping sides), and our FA guard addition was not good.  Throwing to the TEs started working because Baltimore stopped needing to do anything but keep the ball in front of them.

The team is another good offseason away from not being a bottom feeder, and that's IF we can get any kind of QB play.

Continuing on my thoughts from before:

Deciding on Zerlein over the guy who was 8 for 8 in field goal kicking last year.  Zerlien, by missing that first field goal, changed the momentum of the game and was significant.  The Jets were still in the game going into halftime, but like every losing game last year, the other team seems to be better prepared coming out in the 2nd half.  The Jets again and again and again are not prepared for the 2nd half. 

Yes, if you want to blame the players, there is a lot of blame to go around.  The offensive line did not give Flacco time to throw the ball.  But you could use more screen passes, dump offs.  Would this have been enough to make the Jets winners this week?  No, if we're being honest, no.  But the Jets were in it in the first half, and the Jets continue to give it up in the second half.  That is coaching, plain and simple.  

Today's game sucked - no question about it. Last year it was fire leFlure - and then at the end of the season, he was okay and D sucked and Saleh was supposed to be a D genius. This year, the D started out strong, and the O sucked. To be fair the OL is bandaged together and hasn't played together in their positions yet (last year it took a few games). I was unhappy with the gameplay - immobile QB with weak OL against the a strong DL; we needed more screens, draws, etc., but team is hurting.

Once ZW is back and hopefully Brown and the team solidifies, maybe - but most thought we were a 6-8 win team. Much better than last year, but still very average in too many important positions.

Either way, I would suspect Saleh is here next year as well. JD too. Let's hope the season gets better, not sure it can get much worse.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Continuing on my thoughts from before:

Deciding on Zerlein over the guy who was 8 for 8 in field goal kicking last year.  Zerlien, by missing that first field goal, changed the momentum of the game and was significant.  The Jets were still in the game going into halftime, but like every losing game last year, the other team seems to be better prepared coming out in the 2nd half.  The Jets again and again and again are not prepared for the 2nd half. 

Yes, if you want to blame the players, there is a lot of blame to go around.  The offensive line did not give Flacco time to throw the ball.  But you could use more screen passes, dump offs.  Would this have been enough to make the Jets winners this week?  No, if we're being honest, no.  But the Jets were in it in the first half, and the Jets continue to give it up in the second half.  That is coaching, plain and simple.  

I look at the kicking issue as a GM issue and Douglas has absolutely failed in that regard - both PK and punter.  Complete disaster.

I don’t think the 2nd half was preparation.  I think you can only hold a team to 3 points in the modern NFL for so long.  Games are cumulative.  The half isn’t a new game.  The defense wore down.  They weren’t able to stop the Ravens over and over again.  The best defense in the world is getting 1st downs on offense.  Jets failed there.

This all ends with you saying that a different strategy wouldn’t have worked either, so what’s the point again?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'm asking sincerely. If Saleh isn't as bad as his record because the talent stinks, then JD must be bad, no?

Is this a sincere question?  I dont think it is.  I think you're a highly intelligent person and can see the tress through the forest but I'm not trying to make your opinion for you.  I tend not to be a prisoner of the moment but that's not a lot of fun.  

Just now, JiFapono said:

Is this a sincere question?  I dont think it is.  I think you're a highly intelligent person and can see the tress through the forest but I'm not trying to make your opinion for you.  I tend not to be a prison of the moment but that's not a lot of fun.  

I said it was sincere. What's wrong with the question?

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'm asking sincerely. If Saleh isn't as bad as his record because the talent stinks, then JD must be bad, no?

What if it’s somewhere in the middle.  Douglas has done some great things, he’s also had some unforgivable misses, he also took over a roster completely devoid of talent, he also had some unfortunate injuries, he also put his career on Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Sure, both JD and Saleh suck.  So what's the solution? 

I've already offered it again and again. Maybe you can ask the Jets to start listening.

Just now, ZachEY said:

What if it’s somewhere in the middle.  Douglas has done some great things, he’s also had some unforgivable misses, he also took over a roster completely devoid of talent, he also had some unfortunate injuries, he also put his career on Zach Wilson.

That's a fine answer. I was asking a question, not intimating a position.

I agree. The coaching is bad!! I am an old man now and I've been saying for years ever since Hess bought out Werblin and the other minority owners after SB3 this team went downhill. Woody is also a poor owner. I don't believe this team will ever be great until we get an owner who cares and wants a winning franchise. I hope it happens for you young fans but I won't live to see it. You young Jet fans deserve an owner who wants to win Super Bowls! Good Luck in the future. 

5 hours ago, Vader said:

young team. hard to judge just yet.

I’m so sick of this mentality. Enough is enough. We been rebuilding for a ******* decade. 

Coach needs to STFU, take accountability, and start preparing this team on offense, defense, and special teams. 

Enough is enough. I’m over it. The Giants just beat the Titans who had a deep run in the playoffs. The Dolphins just waxed the Pats. The Bears just beat the 49ers. 

I’m tired of being a loser. This team is so used to losing that it’s in their bloodstream.