4 seasons and 3 drafts later, the OL still sucks

More Cowbell

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

What second half were you watching? The did NOT look good last year until the end and we wont have the same line we had last year to please cut the bs. There are 2 new starters so what does looking good the second half of last year have to do with anything? 

Are you seriously saying you add players to go backwards? Is this your argument? You just said the OL looked good at the end. I think that is a testament  that they were playing well. They added a Pro-bowl G. 1 player. When Becton went down, they added a 37 year old LT who also got hurt  so we actually had one player that was not in the plan today. You are not supposed to be this bad when you added players more so to improve the unit or did they bring in Tomlinson to suck and Fant to look like a freaking turnstile

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Are you seriously saying you add players to go backwards? Is this your argument? You just said the OL looked good at the end. I think that is a testament  that they were playing well. They added a Pro-bowl G. 1 player. When Becton went down, they added a 37 year old LT who also got hurt  so we actually had one player that was not in the plan today. You are not supposed to be this bad when you added players more so to improve the unit or did they bring in Tomlinson to suck and Fant to look like a freaking turnstile

No, I did not say the o line looked good at all. I said you should not have expected them to look good because they have played all of ONE game together. 

I am not saying they added players to go backwards, dont be ridiculous

If you are missing my point let me clarify- YOU should not have expected this line to look good this game. PERIOD. I dont care who they added, the line has been in too much flux to think otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

If Duane Brown does not play well this year (not play at all, but play well) that will be pretty damning.  JD could have signed Moses.   Its one thing to take a 1 year gamble on a 37 year old player, but 2?  With no playing time incentive?   

I am not saying definitively JD got played here, but it is looking that way.  

• Upvote 2

I saw Fant get beat, I saw Mitchell get beat several times, and the thing that concerns me more is that the interior of our OL (our strength) was caving badly.  I’m pretty sure AVT had a terrible game, and overall they produced nothing for the run game either.

Flacco did them no favors with his feet, but I think short of Tom Brady, you aren’t getting away with that type of OL play.

19 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Becton over Wirfs looks like the blunder that will undo JDs time here.....

That 2020 draft is just a killer. Still hurting us now. Obviously picking BUSTon, but also mims not panning out. Could have gone oline instead of garret Wilson this yr, Ashtyn and Morgan total wastes. Should have a solid back up for BUSTon, big mistake counting on him at all this year. 

• Upvote 1

Again, in fairness, he drafted Becton (yes, been pretty much a non-player with injuries), AVT, and Max (who started a played reasonably well), He signed Fant a couple of years ago, and signed the best FA LT and LG he could find. After line shuffling and injuries he but together a reasonable OL; Fant is upset that they keep moving him around, and today was the first time this orientation has played together; only 2 are playing the positions the were in training camp in, we started a 4th round rookie.

My hope is that the line will play better after they can work together; Before Brown gets back, Fant will hopefully get his grove back at LT and maybe Max takes his RT job away from him.

But, yes, they sucked today.

19 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

No, I did not say the o line looked good at all. I said you should not have expected them to look good because they have played all of ONE game together. 

I am not saying they added players to go backwards, dont be ridiculous

If you are missing my point let me clarify- YOU should not have expected this line to look good this game. PERIOD. I dont care who they added, the line has been in too much flux to think otherwise. 

They added one player by design and one player due to injury.  3 of them played together last season. That isn't  a huge change. 

44 minutes ago, varjet said:

I like the concept of JD, but the track record here is not pretty:

• Ryan Kalil waste of $9mm of cap space.
  • Alex Lewis waste of cap space/draft pick
  • Osemele Fiasco.
  • Takes Becton over Wirfs
  • Trades 2 third round draft picks to take AVT at top Rd1.  Not a horrible move in concept for a Pro Bowl LEFT guard.  But then he signs Tomlinson for $10mm+ for 2+ years to play LG, moving AVT to RG.  You are supposed to be able to draft RGs in the fourth round and below.  We now have spent a first round pick and $10mm+ on two Gs.
  • Feeney here too long.
  • GVR here too long.
  • Duane Brown gets TWO years guaranteed money and gets injured right away.
  • Best OL (Fant) has been jerked around and will likely walk.
  • Trade up for AVT and JJ 2 basically cost the opportunity to draft 2+ NFL starting OL (Christensen, Petit-Frere).  
  • McGovern contract expires like Fants, and there is no replacement on the roster.  

What have I missed here?

I've posted this here before, that Petite-Frere was taken by the Titans with the Jets pick that JD traded them.  They could have two nice young tackles right now.  He's starting for the Titans.

IIRC, wasn't Osmele signed (or traded for?) a few months before JD took over?  That one might be another blot on Mike Mac's awful tenure.

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We must have watched different games. I saw pass rushers in his face on nearly every pass. 

Then yes, we watched different games.  I saw pass rushers in his face on some plays but not all.

Many of the plays that had pass rushers in his face were a result of the defense saying "Well, since Joe can't complete a pass, we can just send everyone".

Then on the plays where the defense wasn't able to get pressure, Flacco held the ball and scanned the field while he waited for the defense to get there to hit/pressure/hurry/sack him.  He's washed.  His body and mind aren't working quickly enough to be an NFL QB.

OL wasn't perfect, but Flacco was 90% of what went wrong today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Then yes, we watched different games.  I saw pass rushers in his face on some plays but not all.

Many of the plays that had pass rushers in his face were a result of the defense saying "Well, since Joe can't complete a pass, we can just send everyone".

Then on the plays where the defense wasn't able to get pressure, Flacco held the ball and scanned the field while he waited for the defense to get there to hit/pressure/hurry/sack him.  He's washed.  His body and mind aren't working quickly enough to be an NFL QB.

I think nearly everyone I have spoken to about this game all said right away Flacco sucked but the OL is atrocious.  You are the first one defending the OL 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think nearly everyone I have spoken to about this game all said right away Flacco sucked but the OL is atrocious.  You are the first one defending the OL 

I'm not saying there wasn't some bad play by the OL.  There certainly was.  However, if Flacco wasn't trash or was able to move even just a little bit when the pressure was coming, it would not have been nearly as big an issue as Flacco made it.  Most concerning to me was that Laken Tomlinson got smoked a few times.  Fant did too, but since he switches positions every 36-48 hours I kind of expected some hiccups from him.

Run and pass game saw tons of 7 and 8 man attacking fronts that the OL couldn't have done anything about.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I like the concept of JD, but the track record here is not pretty:

• Ryan Kalil waste of $9mm of cap space.
  • Alex Lewis waste of cap space/draft pick
  • Osemele Fiasco.
  • Takes Becton over Wirfs
  • Trades 2 third round draft picks to take AVT at top Rd1.  Not a horrible move in concept for a Pro Bowl LEFT guard.  But then he signs Tomlinson for $10mm+ for 2+ years to play LG, moving AVT to RG.  You are supposed to be able to draft RGs in the fourth round and below.  We now have spent a first round pick and $10mm+ on two Gs.
  • Feeney here too long.
  • GVR here too long.
  • Duane Brown gets TWO years guaranteed money and gets injured right away.
  • Best OL (Fant) has been jerked around and will likely walk.
  • Trade up for AVT and JJ 2 basically cost the opportunity to draft 2+ NFL starting OL (Christensen, Petit-Frere).  
  • McGovern contract expires like Fants, and there is no replacement on the roster.  

What have I missed here?

Let Moses walk.  

• Upvote 2

They added one player by design and one player due to injury.  3 of them played together last season. That isn't  a huge change. 
They switched one guy during preseason from lt to rt, then back to lt, they had another guy playing lt that went down for the season, they had another guy that got signed late played one preseason game then went down, they had another guy who was a 4th round pick that got thrust into the lineup in preseason looked bad, got demoted then due to injury got promoted again.

That is a LOT of change.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

THIS

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

You can blame on us being so desperate to sign him when we did. Negligence.

This... the fact that they had such a desperate need for him in the first place, for a very foreseeable circumstance, is beyond absurd.

Although then again, how could JD possibly imagine a scenario of an over-the-hill OL who is all but out of the league being coerced back by money not working out as an immediate solution?

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This was the game I watched as well.  The OL was adequate.  Far from great, but far from awful.  QBs need to learn to deliver amid chaos, and Flacco did not look like a seasoned vet who could handle the sometimes messy pockets.  And we actually ran the ball pretty well in the first half.  Just got away from the run as we fell behind in the second.