Worst Opening Day Crowd I’ve Ever Seen

jmat321

Just now, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Just like their playoff aspirations, the Jets are also killing their loyal fan base and any hope for future fandom from younger generations. 

Indeed.  The entire organization is short-sighted.  Fan base declines every year and Woody is too busy whistling by the graveyard to acknowledge the truth.   Hate to be so rude, but here is the ugly truth:  we're going to have to wait for Woody to drop dead, or sell the team, whichever happens first, as with Leon Hess, before we will see any systemic improvement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

That's...the rule though?  Especially on 9/11, you thought you were going to get an exception to the BAG POLICY?  Ok.

Guests are welcome to carry-in the following items into MetLife Stadium:

Clear bags that are 12" x 6" x 12" or less in size (1 bag per person)

Small purses/handbags (clutch-type bags) that are 4.5" x 6.5" or less in size (1 per person)

Above is the policy . The bag was small and emptied out right in front of him . He was a douche .

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Even on a good weather day, I wouldn't spend the money to sit in traffic and watch this sh*thouse team. 

Hell, I could barely bring myself to spend the minutes and hours to sit on my comfy couch and watch on a brand new 85" OLED.

The bomb to bateman is where I turned it off. 24-3. I had more fun running around in the grass with my 2 and 3 year old than I ever would have had watching that 4th quarter.

Over the past decade, the product on the field has cultivated a group of people within the fanbase to simply not care. I haven't watched a full Jets game since 2015. Actually, for probably more than 50% of the last 6 years games, I haven't even tuned in at all. And each time, it was a good decision to do anything else with that time. I dare anyone to tell me that I'm missing out.

The Jets biggest issue is that that group of people is getting bigger, and with it, the group of new/young fans is getting smaller. My 3 year old still yells Go Jets, but that's because he doesn't know any better. When he's old enough to understand what's going on, what's compelling him to keep up with the team? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

That's the rule in all NFL locations.  He might have been rude, which would be unacceptable, but he did what he is supposed to do.  Plenty of other legit things to complain about, but not this.

p.s.  I didn't create the rule or enforce it. But thanks for the thumbs down anyway!  

Why are giving @Dcat a thumbs down for a league wide and quite honestly nationwide security policy?

he is simply stating what the rule is that we as fans and employees must follow.

is it better if the guard let it go and then gets fired for not doing his job?

blame the jets for alot - but come on with this one

25 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

I think Maxman's hearing is going . Ravens fans were heard throughout the game . The upper level was awful . No home field advantage in this stadium . 

The Ravens fans at yesterday's game were not particularly loud whatsoever.  Jets have been getting overrun by opposing fans for the better part of the past 8 years, but yesterday wasn't bad at all.  Ravens fans did their dumb song when they scored touchdowns, but they were extremely mild.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The Ravens fans at yesterday's game were not particularly loud whatsoever.  Jets have been getting overrun by opposing fans for the better part of the past 8 years, but yesterday wasn't bad at all.  Ravens fans did their dumb song when they scored touchdowns, but they were extremely mild.

agree with this, they were pretty quiet for the most part

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Thanks for this.

I was starting to think I was at the wrong game.

since the new stadium opened. This was clearly the lowest number of ravens fans.

beginning of the game yesterday stadium was loud and overwhelmingly jets fans despite the weather.

The lack of offense took the air out. The defense kept hope alive until mid 3rd

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, Hael said:

It's been a few years since i've been to a live game, but I definitely noticed a lack of Gen Z representation.  Apparently that's true league wide.

Do they not like football anymore?

I don't know about like, but it's not priced for Gen Z to afford it.  

The average Gen Z worker in the country makes 32K right now.  In NY and NJ, it's higher but still under 40K.  The average 1br in NJ is $1100/month.  That roughly works out to rent = 1 full paycheck.  Two tickets, parking, and minimal concessions and you're looking at $300 unless you're in the upper bowl.

How is that happening?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

The word "boring" jumps out. Worst thing any entertainment enterprise could be. 

Moved from anger to bemused indifference, bordering on contempt. There's no way I am burning a fall afternoon to deal with either traffic or the PATH train disaster to be treated like a prison inmate at ridiculous costs to watch that in person. 

A lot of people gave my post below a +1, but no one has responded to it.  Honest question, why would anyone go for any reason other than their personal traditions.  They are, in fact, uninteresting.  I'm happy to go on a roadtrip each year, because that's different and fun.  A Jets game, in and of itself, is almost never fun.

16 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Why would someone have wanted to go to today’s game?

Serious question.

Because it’s expensive and the team hasn’t been relevant in a decade and the weather was bad and they were starting Joe Flacco and the opponent is a historically and currently better non-rival team.

So, besides, “I’m a season ticket holder and this is what I do,” what reason would anyone have for going?

I watched the Italian Grand Prix, worked out, cleaned my car, watched the game on a 77 inch OLED, and then went out to dinner with the family.  Hard pressed to think anyone who sat in traffic, then the rain, then traffic and paid $400 or more for the privilege, had a better day.

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I wonder if people leaving ny/nj the past couple years has anything to do with it? The team being a joke for 10 years doesn’t help either 

The population in the NYC metro area is 20 million people and it is dow .02% over the past few years - which is insignificant.  This is the largest market in the USA.  The idea that a .02 % decline in population results in the failure to fill an 80,000 seat stadium is a joke, especially when you consider that the team has been terrible for 10 years and the stadium is among the worst in the league.  If cities with a fraction of the population of NY can sell out with raucous crowds, the Jets should have no problem.  

14 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Sitting in the rain, spending hundreds of dollars to watch Joe Flacco?  No thanks. Unless you have season tickets and going to all the games is your thing, there’s no reason for anyone to go. This team is garbage and the stadium sucks too. Choosing to be a Jet fan might be the worst mistake I’ve ever made in my life 

If that's the worst mistake you've made in your life, consider yourself a very lucky man. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The population in the NYC metro area is 20 million people and it is dow .02% over the past few years - which is insignificant.  This is the largest market in the USA.  The idea that a .02 % decline in population results in the failure to fill an 80,000 seat stadium is a joke, especially when you consider that the team has been terrible for 10 years and the stadium is among the worst in the league.  If cities with a fraction of the population of NY can sell out with raucous crowds, the Jets should have no problem.  

I never said it was the main reason. It could have some effect though. I know lots of people that left. 

“Separately, new Census numbers last week showed that New York’s population fell 319,020, or 1.6%, in the 12 months leading up to July 1, 2021 — the biggest single-year drop in state history.”

the team being terrible for so long has a lasting effect also. Young people choosing their favorite team likely won’t pick the jets unless their family are also fans. The average age of jets fans is likely higher than many other fanbases 

18 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Been to most home openers going back to 1991, missed a few here or there.  Today was by far the worst crowd I’ve seen on opening day.  Parking lots seemed like there were a good amount of open spaces, stadium looked half full from a glance.  Yes the weather wasn’t great, but wasn’t that bad.  Product on the field is awful, but we’ve been there before.  Is the fan base just done?  

Who/why would someone NEG rep that post?  Just an observation on the OP part.

He wasn't being negative per se...  who is a bigger fan than him? He goes to all the home openers.

@Ecuadorian Jet

@peebag

18 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

The team is historically terrible. Everyone knew we were going to be non competitive today. I presidcted 38-3 Balt. HAve zero confidence in this CS to mold whatever players we do have into anything productive.

Feeling the same desperately hopeless feelings on Septembers first weekend of football as usual.

So THIS post gets no neg reps but the OP gets 2?

My boy ASH, speaking from the heart.

Sad facts.  I feel similar.  In fact, games like that make players want to leave. Why would a good player risk his health for that type of organization.

It starts with the bozo owner...  and he already showed he doesn't give a fukk. He left to England for 4 years, Possibly the worst 4 years in franchise history.

18 hours ago, undertow said:

Why would anyone want to spend 5 hours in traffic on a Sunday to watch a team who hasn't won a game in September since 2018 when they can be at home drinking beer and eating wings?

Who Spends 5 hours in traffic? The only time I am in traffic is where you go into the parking lot. And it's because the damn scanner the parking attendants use never work.

as a non jets fan an someone from flyover country....I gotta ask...

Do New York based teams consider media reaction when they make decisions to do anything up there?

The reason I ask is that from what I read in this thread, the Jets are reasonably well supported by you guys (jets fans) despite this long stretch of futility.

It would seem to me, absent media pressure, or being willing to live with critical media, that ownership could commit to cleaning out the whole thing...the coaches, GM, scouting dept, executives that aren't football related even.  Hire yourself an actual football mind to be the president of the organizatoin and let them have total control.....and give that person time and money to set the thing up.

You might answer that they've tried or are trying with Douglass and Saleh.  

What I mean is...you go hire someone to be at the very top that knows what it looks like to have a high functioning organization.  I've mentioned Sean Payton before as a name...in his case you give him the top spot in the chain and get him a GM that does his bidding....or you hire Mike Shanahan for example...not as coach...but as president.  Mike knows what a winning organization looks like and he knows what kind of people to put in place.  You find that guy and you give him the reigns and the money.  

The other thing...and again. forgive me.  I am not from your neck of the woods, I don't know the first thing about how your city works, the demographics of it all etc.  ...but sharing a stadium with the Giants in New Jersey....seems second class.  A team in Americas biggest media market, ought to be first class all the way.  How can you expect players, agents and media to respect you and want to be a part of something when your stadium and organization seem second hand?

Couldn't the Jets stake out a section of the city and make it their own, with an awesome stadium...a destination, super bowl hosting on a regular basis/rotation type place?  I don't get it?

I think the Jets could/would/should be a premier franchise and are sitting on a gold mine....but they aren't.  It's a shame.

34 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Who Spends 5 hours in traffic? The only time I am in traffic is where you go into the parking lot. And it's because the damn scanner the parking attendants use never work.

if you live on the island, you can depend on a 3-5 hr drive home with traffic.  I live on the Nassau Suffolk border and surprisingly got home in under 3 yesterday.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Not where we were sitting - Section 341 . Especially hated DEFENSE DIVA #95 .

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China ?

• Thumb Down 1

20 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Fake News : The bulk is in NJ.   LI was 20+ years ago. The exorbitant ticket prices, bad product and bad weather lead to bad attendance.  Has always been this way in professional sports and aways will be.

Some of the fan base now are in Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Texas. NY, for as great it is, has priced many people out of it. Jersey is not any better at this point, but still a bit better. Work from home opportunities have allowed many to flee the exorbitant prices of NY.

Put a quality product on the field, and they will show.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Just like their playoff aspirations, the Jets are also killing their loyal fan base and any hope for future fandom from younger generations. 

There are no Jets fans born after 1990 or so unless their fathers had no conscience. 

6 hours ago, jgb said:

There are no Jets fans born after 1990 or so unless their fathers had no conscience. 

My daughter once chose to go to a Jets game instead of having a birthday party.  She was out during the game, when she came home she didn't ask if the Jets won, she just asked how much they lost by.  She only knows them as complete losers.