Worst Opening Day Crowd I’ve Ever Seen

jmat321

I've heard folks say this is an issue the league is worried about.  Anything that takes more than 15-20 seconds and you lose the attention of younger folks.  They'd rather watch a few highlights on phones than sit through a full game.
Possible the sport is dead in 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Woody posted on instagram from the parking lot saying Jets fans are the greatest in the world. 

seriously though. Who would spend hundreds of dollars to blow their whole Sunday to watch that sh*t show and just be miserable and pissed off all day? I watched it for 3 hours, shook my head and changed the channel and didn’t spend any money.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Been to most home openers going back to 1991, missed a few here or there.  Today was by far the worst crowd I’ve seen on opening day.  Parking lots seemed like there were a good amount of open spaces, stadium looked half full from a glance.  Yes the weather wasn’t great, but wasn’t that bad.  Product on the field is awful, but we’ve been there before.  Is the fan base just done?  

going to a football game is ludicrously expensive. why spend $500+ to see that and then for the privilege of sitting in an hour of traffic trying to get out of the parking lot? add into it the cost of gas and tolls and it's a monumental waste of money to spend to disappoint yourself and your family

• Post of the Week 1

I live on the east end of LI. Going to a game is a long and expensive trip. I'm not investing that time and money to watch this trash f*cking team. The Jets simply aren't worth it anymore.

I haven't been to a game since 2010. At this rate I'll probably never go to one again. Not wasting my time.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Just how dare you to put this on the fans? ? Where do you get off?

IMO - the org has killed the fan base and failed to bring in any new fans over the past decade.  Enthusiasm for this team is the lowest I’ve ever seen.  That’s all on ownership.

2 hours ago, BP said:

Woody posted on instagram from the parking lot saying Jets fans are the greatest in the world. 

seriously though. Who would spend hundreds of dollars to blow their whole Sunday to watch that sh*t show and just be miserable and pissed off all day? I watched it for 3 hours, shook my head and changed the channel and didn’t spend any money.

The lots right on top of the stadium I’m sure.  The “cheap” lots across the walking bridge tell the real story. Every home opener those lots are full.  Yesterday those lots were equivalent to a Dec game during a typical jets season.  

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Fake News : The bulk is in NJ.   LI was 20+ years ago. The exorbitant ticket prices, bad product and bad weather lead to bad attendance.  Has always been this way in professional sports and aways will be.

Agree a 1000% here.  I grew up in NJ and live on LI now.  When I was a kid it was a heavy LI fan base, but they haven’t had any connection to the Island in over a decade.  All the Jet fans on the Island are on the older side and aren’t driving a few hours to get banged up in the parking lot.  The younger folks on LI have  no attachment to the team.  The fan base that’s left is heavily made up of the NJ folks they picked up over the years.

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

I’ll be completely honest with you. I’m not a season ticket holder but I will not attend another game for years. 

The product on the field is absolutely atrocious. Joe Flacco should never see another snap again. 

This team is just awful. They’re so ******* boring. They’re not fun to watch. They’re not worth the drive whatsoever. 

The word "boring" jumps out. Worst thing any entertainment enterprise could be. 

Moved from anger to bemused indifference, bordering on contempt. There's no way I am burning a fall afternoon to deal with either traffic or the PATH train disaster to be treated like a prison inmate at ridiculous costs to watch that in person. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’ll take this week’s “Worst _____ I’ve ever seen in all my years watching football,” hyperbole for $200, Alex.

We’re good for over a dozen per year by my count.

The worst game calling I’ve ever seen in all my years of watching football. The worst crowd I’ve ever seen... The worst throw I’ve ever seen. The worst coached team I’ve ever seen. The worst blah blah blah. 

Anyway…

J!

Some people insist on speaking in superlatives, like Damone in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". 

The crowds would be there if this team was competitive. But it hasn't been for a long time. People like a winner. A ride home from a good win is more pleasant than after a deflating loss. Last few times I went, after such a deflating loss, the parking lot was filled with lots of angry drunks doing stupid things, breaking bottles, fighting, generally being a-holes.Personally don't think I would go, but if it turned around, lots of fans would go. And would be more like a block party and  less like Thunderdome.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Been to most home openers going back to 1991, missed a few here or there.  Today was by far the worst crowd I’ve seen on opening day.  Parking lots seemed like there were a good amount of open spaces, stadium looked half full from a glance.  Yes the weather wasn’t great, but wasn’t that bad.  Product on the field is awful, but we’ve been there before.  Is the fan base just done?  

I've been to every home opener but for one since the early 80's.  I disagree; there have been far worse.  Ravens fans travel and the stadium  (at least the lowers) had to be 25-30% purple.  They even wear Justin Tucker Jerseys.  The game LaFleur brought to us was boring, the offense was trying to move the ball one yard at a time with a QB who simply can't throw well any more.  There was nothing to be excited for with Flacco in the game.  I give the Jets crowd credit for not throwing things at the team for continuing to play the arm-dead flacco.  There were a few Mike White chants in the 2nd half.  The Jets fans there were totally disgusted at what Saleh and LaFleur delivered yesterday.     

Flacco should not be playing.  Period.  Jets coaching sucks.. gave us zero to be excited about.   Saleh, so far, absolutely sucks as a HC and everyone here knows it.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

A big thumbs down to Meadowlands security agent #536 , who made my daughter throw away her bag , even though empty, because it was not clear . The guy was a jackass . The whole Jets organization do not ,and have never , cared about the fans . Just send us your ticket money and shut up . This is the last cent I spend on a Woody Johnson  led N.Y, Jets team . Thank you and goodnight .

That's...the rule though?  Especially on 9/11, you thought you were going to get an exception to the BAG POLICY?  Ok.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

exactly

And another.

By the 2nd qtr the concourses and bars were packed with people.

speaking as someone who made the same mistake the forecast caught people off guard and it started raining at noon.

boring offense and steady rain had a lot of folks watching inside.

fans were there. The jet offense was not

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

A big thumbs down to Meadowlands security agent #536 , who made my daughter throw away her bag , even though empty, because it was not clear . The guy was a jackass . The whole Jets organization do not ,and have never , cared about the fans . Just send us your ticket money and shut up . This is the last cent I spend on a Woody Johnson  led N.Y, Jets team . Thank you and goodnight .

That's the rule in all NFL locations.  He might have been rude, which would be unacceptable, but he did what he is supposed to do.  Plenty of other legit things to complain about, but not this.

p.s.  I didn't create the rule or enforce it. But thanks for the thumbs down anyway!  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes, totally agree. It's become a lifestyle for us. We have been blessed and we're fortunate enough to get the RV.

Packed lunch and dinner in the fridge. Tailgated before the game, had turkey sandwiches after the game.

So we were able to avoid the rain and I spent time with my son and family.

It's crazy expensive and there is no way to justify the expense but it does make us happy.

That said I totally understand why there aren't more season ticket holders. That is on the Jets for several reasons.

It's a weekly mini vacation, time with the family.  That's not wasted money, that is time with the family.

But for someone like me, who just has a car, why would I spend 500, 600 bucks to take my 2 boys to sit in traffic, watch the team get blown out, and sit in traffic.   They are much happier chilling at home, me grilling some burgers, watching the 1st half, and doing their own thing.

My boys are not football fans.   Since they were 1 and 5 the team has been garbage, and they don't understand why they should watch a team go 5-11 every year.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

What do you expect? The bulk of the fanbase is on LI and nobody wants to sit in traffic for 3 hours each way to go see the team in their current state

Correction:  bulk of fan base was from LI/Queens 20+ years ago.  Not any more.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

It's a weekly mini vacation, time with the family.  That's not wasted money, that is time with the family.

But for someone like me, who just has a car, why would I spend 500, 600 bucks to take my 2 boys to sit in traffic, watch the team get blown out, and sit in traffic.   They are much happier chilling at home, me grilling some burgers, watching the 1st half, and doing their own thing.

My boys are not football fans.   Since they were 1 and 5 the team has been garbage, and they don't understand why they should watch a team go 5-11 every year.

Same with my younger son.  No interset in the jets.   The older one was excited in 1998 and then somewhat in the good Sanchez/Rex years.  He got sucked in and is a fan. 

16 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Joining those who disagree with this post.  The crowd was fine yesterday.  The Jets gave them no reason to stay into it as the game went on.

Sidenote: the gameday presentation remains abysmal MAKE SOME NOIIIIIISE @SAR I

Make some noise

the air raid siren at the same time as the jets chant

who let the dogs out

i could go on all day

the loosing is one thing. Doing so and acting like a minor league franchise is over the top

• Upvote 3