Fair assessment of the game

Phillyjet

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

The guy asked when was the last time the Jets came back to win a game.  I answered the question. 

Coming back from two scores down in the 4th quarter is hard to do in this league.  Its ok to give White credit for that.  I am not saying he is the answer for us at QB, but I would prefer seeing him out there next week than Flacco.

I think you misinterpreted.  I wasn’t bashing your answer….

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Jets had more passing yards, more rushing yards and led in time of possession.  I wonder what happened that flipped the script for the Jets in a game when typically, you win if sweep all those categories? 

Fumbles and drops and special teams killed us and the 7 gifted points we gave them on the Joyner **** up…. Just a sloppy game good teams don’t do that … in reality we didn’t get our doors blown off like the usual. I think this team is real close to being good and winning games

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Jets had more passing yards, more rushing yards and led in time of possession.  I wonder what happened that flipped the script for the Jets in a game when typically, you win if sweep all those categories? 

Bad timing of when they chose to come up small.

Davis dropping that first pass to him on 3rd was an easy 1st down.

The Flacco pick looked like there’s a decent chance it’d have happened anyway, but it was a timed throw to Cager who’d slipped & fell after the ball was released.

Hall’s fumble.

Conklin’s fumble on a would-be 1st down. 

Carter dropping an easy TD.

Flacco wasn’t under bad pressure when he dumped it off to Carter on 3rd & 15. Couldn’t tell for sure as he ran off the bottom of the screen but it looked like Davis was wide open for an easy 1st down with no one within 5 yards of him (same side of the field as the checkdown, too). 

And that’s just on offense, on stuff off the top of my head without reviewing anything. 

The line looked bleh, but they did have a late shakeup that affected both tackle positions, which in turn also affected TE usage, and they should have more time next week to shore that up, but it was still hard to watch. Ditto with slow-dealing getting Wilson some snaps, though it was just his first game. He looks like the real deal in limited action so far, though. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

3 fumbles and drop passes that killed drives. missed FG and extra point. 

sorry forget, its all Flaccos fault.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Got to the game 10 am. Filet mignon with horseradish sauce.  Sausage and peppers on Italian bread. 
Marinated shrimp.  Highlight of the day.  Our team totally sucks.  It was embarrassing.  Nothing else to add.  We suck. 

Holy smokes. I normally have a Four 'n' Twenty meat pie and a bucket of warmed chips when I go to the footy. I'll happily trade all that for steak, sausages and peppers.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bad timing of when they chose to come up small.

Davis dropping that first pass to him on 3rd was an easy 1st down.

The Flacco pick looked like there’s a decent chance it’d have happened anyway, but it was a timed throw to Cager who’d slipped & fell after the ball was released.

Hall’s fumble.

Conklin’s fumble on a would-be 1st down. 

Carter dropping an easy TD.

Flacco wasn’t under bad pressure when he dumped it off to Carter on 3rd & 15. Couldn’t tell for sure as he ran off the bottom of the screen but it looked like Davis was wide open for an easy 1st down with no one within 5 yards of him (same side of the field as the checkdown, too). 

And that’s just on offense, on stuff off the top of my head without reviewing anything. 

The line looked bleh, but they did have a late shakeup that affected both tackle positions, which in turn also affected TE usage, and they should have more time next week to shore that up, but it was still hard to watch. Ditto with slow-dealing getting Wilson some snaps, though it was just his first game. He looks like the real deal in limited action so far, though. 

While the end score looks bad, and the defense ran out of gas at points, this wasn't a terrible game.  

Flacco looked horrible, because he runs a vertical offense and the Ravens took that away.  They need a more mobile QB to bring up at least one linebacker.  This is why someone inexperienced like Strevler looks decent (at least decent for late pre-season action) because his skill set matches the offense.  You can't have Flacco out there and expect things to go smoothly because he's limited.  This offense fits someone of Wilson's skill level or a mobile QB.  I don't think the reason they are holding back Wilson right now has to do with his ability to be better than Flacco, it likely has to do with his ability to be mobile.  If he's hobbling and can't quite run, we'll have the same issues facing Flacco now.  Defenses sit in the middle, and force you to either dump it off, or make precision passes.  

I thought the no PI call on the Moore drop was big, right before the missed FG.  The guy wasn't even playing the ball, was just pulling the jersey but they didn't call it.  I thought they made a big deal about illegal contact and pass interference being called this year, but that was a killer.  

The Carter drop was brutal, needs to stop hanging around Ty Johnson.  

The Conklin fumble was just funny, that it bounced backwards.  

Even the great Wilson play on the sideline, where he made Hamilton miss and almost got the first down, he was hurt by his desire to break it open.  After the second guy misses, he has enough open field to dive forward or run for the first down.  Unfortunately, he cuts back for a 3rd time (it works), but the pursuing defender gets him down just before the first down marker.  

Fant and AvT got beat a fair amount today, especially bull rushes.  This somewhat compounded the issue because Flacco is so immobile, they can't really move the pocket.  A mobile QB and you can move the pocket so guys aren't going full power all the time.  It's sort of reminiscent of that Fitzpatrick stats where OL rankings did better with him, because Fitz would take risky throws rather than being sacked.  

I'm optimistic about the team, but I'm not about Flacco.  

• Upvote 4

I'm pretty sure AVT and Laken both had really bad games.  For most of 3 quarters, the interior of the line was getting pushed back into Flacco.  Both tackles struggled at times as well.

I'm also less enthused about the WRs.  Moore and Corey Davis looked pretty covered for much of the game.  When Flacco did have time, you would see him go through multiple progressions b/c his options weren't there.

On defense, I was pretty happy with the line.  JFM had a great game.  Linebackers also flashed speed.  It looks like our safeties were at fault on those two long plays, but I think those were busted coverage and miscommunications.   Run D was solid for once!

• Upvote 1

The Jets had the better overall roster.  The Ravens are a bad team with a very good HC and a QB who can beat you in multiple ways.   The Jets had a very bad QB and a horrific game plan.

Coaching matters and so does the QB.  Flacco needs to be benched and Lefleur has to get his head out of his ass. 

We have a ton of talent on D but again there's nothing anyone has to game plan for.  Baltimore made a few small adjustments and the monkey ate a banana at halftime.  

The D wasn't gassed anymore than Baltimore's D was gassed.  We had TOP we just gave up tons of field position with bad specials and turnovers.  Our kicking game was atrocious.  

Joe D has shown some basic competence.  I'm still of the belief that the Saleh hire has Woody's fingerprints all over it.  The hot candidate sign him before Detroit does.  

The OL didn't suck as much as it looked like.  Lefleur basically put our running game on the shelf and let a statue throw 59 times in a game that was competitive going into the second half.   I thought Lefleur wasn't nearly as dumb as Saleh.  I might be wrong on that.  His game plan and play calling was horrendous. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Garbage time stats when ravens defense are up and relaxed 

Are you suggesting the Ravens were relaxed on this play?  Looks more to me like they were trying to make it so that Corey Davis and his head were no longer associated with one another.  

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets had the better overall roster.  The Ravens are a bad team with a very good HC and a QB who can beat you in multiple ways.   The Jets had a very bad QB and a horrific game plan.

Coaching matters and so does the QB.  Flacco needs to be benched and Lefleur has to get his head out of his ass. 

We have a ton of talent on D but again there's nothing anyone has to game plan for.  Baltimore made a few small adjustments and the monkey ate a banana at halftime.  

The D wasn't gassed anymore than Baltimore's D was gassed.  We had TOP we just gave up tons of field position with bad specials and turnovers.  Our kicking game was atrocious.  

Joe D has shown some basic competence.  I'm still of the belief that the Saleh hire has Woody's fingerprints all over it.  The hot candidate sign him before Detroit does.  

The OL didn't suck as much as it looked like.  Lefleur basically put our running game on the shelf and let a statue throw 59 times in a game that was competitive going into the second half.   I thought Lefleur wasn't nearly as dumb as Saleh.  I might be wrong on that.  His game plan and play calling was horrendous. 

Honest question. Did you watch the game or just look at the box score?

14 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Also seems like the game really turned badly on that Mann 20 yard punt. How does that guy still have a job?. Oh, yeah he is the only remaining 2020 draft starter which really spells out just how bad that draft was.

Blaming this gameon Mann is the most insane thing ever. That was an absolute shank. Terrible punt. Maybe he deserves to get cut. But the Jets did not lose this game because of Mann or because of that punt. The game did not hinge on that play. The game did not change on that play. In fact, the Jets got Lamar into a 3rd and long on that drive and could have held the Ravens to a FG but they gave up a long TD pass. Lamar made a really nice no-look pass where his eyes went to Andrews and he actually tossed it over his head to Duvernay. 

I'll say this again. The Jets had no chance with the way Flacco looked and the way Flacco played. He could not make any plays. The Jets defense held their own against one of the most explosive QBs in the NFL. 24 points is not a crazy amount to give up to the Ravens. Flacco was a statue back there. He couldn't move and create more time. He couldn't get his receivers the ball with a chance to DO anything with it. He never really challenged the secondary. Was the O-line great? Nope. Absolutely not. But Flacco was awful. You can look at a lot of different things but Flacco and his inability to bring this offense any kind of rhythm or make any plays to put points on the board is why the Jets lost. 

I can't even blame the coaches because what are they supposed to do? Tehy have a QB who can't execute. Maybe they can pull him? Thats really all I can think of. Maybe they should have. But for the majority of the game...it was close. What was it? 10-0 at the half? As bad as your QB is, you can't pull him with that score. Not a vet like Flacco.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Just watch the Giants play. Came back to win a game they were down 0-13 in. It is amazing what competent coaching does. 

Watching them play the exact same way I wish my team would play is really depressing. When was the last time our team came back from 0-13 and 13-20 late in the 4th to win a game? I honestly cannot remember us ever doing that.

And we also saw multiple good teams lose this past weekend, in much worse fashion than the Jets did....

Rams, Titans, and Bengals all lost, and the Packers lost bad and they have Aaron Rogers.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Are you suggesting the Ravens were relaxed on this play?  Looks more to me like they were trying to make it so that Corey Davis and his head were no longer associated with one another.  

That's nice, but the game was already well out of reach.

Would have been nice for him to make a play yesterday when it mattered.

11 hours ago, win4ever said:

While the end score looks bad, and the defense ran out of gas at points, this wasn't a terrible game.  

Flacco looked horrible, because he runs a vertical offense and the Ravens took that away.  They need a more mobile QB to bring up at least one linebacker.  This is why someone inexperienced like Strevler looks decent (at least decent for late pre-season action) because his skill set matches the offense.  You can't have Flacco out there and expect things to go smoothly because he's limited.  This offense fits someone of Wilson's skill level or a mobile QB.  I don't think the reason they are holding back Wilson right now has to do with his ability to be better than Flacco, it likely has to do with his ability to be mobile.  If he's hobbling and can't quite run, we'll have the same issues facing Flacco now.  Defenses sit in the middle, and force you to either dump it off, or make precision passes.  

I thought the no PI call on the Moore drop was big, right before the missed FG.  The guy wasn't even playing the ball, was just pulling the jersey but they didn't call it.  I thought they made a big deal about illegal contact and pass interference being called this year, but that was a killer.  

The Carter drop was brutal, needs to stop hanging around Ty Johnson.  

The Conklin fumble was just funny, that it bounced backwards.  

Even the great Wilson play on the sideline, where he made Hamilton miss and almost got the first down, he was hurt by his desire to break it open.  After the second guy misses, he has enough open field to dive forward or run for the first down.  Unfortunately, he cuts back for a 3rd time (it works), but the pursuing defender gets him down just before the first down marker.  

Fant and AvT got beat a fair amount today, especially bull rushes.  This somewhat compounded the issue because Flacco is so immobile, they can't really move the pocket.  A mobile QB and you can move the pocket so guys aren't going full power all the time.  It's sort of reminiscent of that Fitzpatrick stats where OL rankings did better with him, because Fitz would take risky throws rather than being sacked.  

I'm optimistic about the team, but I'm not about Flacco.  

Yeah all fair, and I'd forgotten about the non-call on the jersey tug.

I expect Fant to play better overall, both because of staying in one place for more than 10 days, further healing physically, or both.

The bigger concern was opposite him, and I was pretty happy. Certainly wasn't a flawless game on his part, and with ~60 dropbacks there was that much more opportunity to expose him badly, and anyway plenty of the pressure problems came up the gut that had nothing to do with him, or if they were from the outside some was Carter left to block someone who just physically overmatched him (but RBs aren't expected to routinely hold off a defender for 3+ seconds after first engaging him).

Flacco sucked, no doubt. There's a point where having a calming influence isn't the end-all, where it crosses over to a total lack of rhythm. Not all his fault, but he was hardly the cure. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Oh and lafluer stunk today.  Where was the creative playcalling?

We couold run a jet sweep, one of those throwback plays that worked last year?

Lafluers playcalling was atrpcious today.

I have been posting that continuously. Lefleur went pass happy with an immobile QB and a weak o-line. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah all fair, and I'd forgotten about the non-call on the jersey tug.

I expect Fant to play better overall, both because of staying in one place for more than 10 days, further healing physically, or both.

The bigger concern was opposite him, and I was pretty happy. Certainly wasn't a flawless game on his part, and with ~60 dropbacks there was that much more opportunity to expose him badly, and anyway plenty of the pressure problems came up the gut that had nothing to do with him, or if they were from the outside some was Carter left to block someone who just physically overmatched him (but RBs aren't expected to routinely hold off a defender for 3+ seconds after first engaging him).

Flacco sucked, no doubt. There's a point where having a calming influence isn't the end-all, where it crosses over to a total lack of rhythm. Not all his fault, but he was hardly the cure. 

In a weird way, I'm ok with Mitchell because we really need to start developing mid round guys to be productive on the OL.  We can't keep spending No. 1 picks there and expect to fill out the team, unless someone wants to Jamal Adams a trade for Corey Davis.  

I just don't understand the infatuation with Flacco, because he doesn't really move the needle.  Not exactly known as a cerebral type guy, even in his days with Baltimore, which makes me wonder if it's just a favor from Douglas knowing him for years.   There was a sack I think when the Ravens brought a blitz at some point.  The hot read was a slot TE, but the Ravens kept a LB back for it, and Flacco just stood around like he didn't know what to do.  They had a RB release to the other side, plus another rub release that both got ignored.  All he needed to do was step to the side, instead he just stood there and got sacked (I think).  Even Tom Brady moves around more than Flacco at this point. 

Just now, win4ever said:

In a weird way, I'm ok with Mitchell because we really need to start developing mid round guys to be productive on the OL.  We can't keep spending No. 1 picks there and expect to fill out the team, unless someone wants to Jamal Adams a trade for Corey Davis.  

I just don't understand the infatuation with Flacco, because he doesn't really move the needle.  Not exactly known as a cerebral type guy, even in his days with Baltimore, which makes me wonder if it's just a favor from Douglas knowing him for years.   There was a sack I think when the Ravens brought a blitz at some point.  The hot read was a slot TE, but the Ravens kept a LB back for it, and Flacco just stood around like he didn't know what to do.  They had a RB release to the other side, plus another rub release that both got ignored.  All he needed to do was step to the side, instead he just stood there and got sacked (I think).  Even Tom Brady moves around more than Flacco at this point. 

Yeah Mitchell's getting a bit more trial-by-fire than hoped. Personally I was wishing he'd get his lumps after a couple of months of weekly practices, subbing in for a play or a series here or there in the meantime - odds were against both tackles playing every snap for 17 games - but the best thing (for the team's future) would be for him to have to be the starter for the last month or two, of course assuming he performed well in that capacity. But for an unexpected week 1 starting assignment against a veteran defense, playing next to a 2nd year pro switching positions himself from the prior year? I'm not upset. Or anyway he doesn't sniff at the top 10 reasons to be upset about from that game.

If he's soon looking like a good starter, rather than a good backup, then in the offseason they don't have to break the bank on a LT. Assuming he comes back looking good, the best pipeline move is probably to bring back Brown next year & draft a LT who'd take over starter duties at some point during or after the '23 season. No need to cave to some ~$20MM/year (w/2-years fully gtd) demands from an injury-prone Fant, and Brown is a reasonable backup plan. Plus yeah technically Becton's on the roster, too. A foursome like that really ought to be enough to get through the '23 season & leave them with a youthful pair of starting tackles beyond that. So far it's looking like that vet OL money would be better spent on extending McGovern (centers aren't that pricey in comparison) but there are 16 games left  yet, so we'll see.

Re: Flacco, and I mentioned it already, but the one that I couldn't get past was the checkdown on 3rd & long when he wasn't under some crazy duress & his purportedly #1 WR was open past the sticks. Maybe the all-22 will show Davis wasn't so open, but it sure looked like it during the game, up until he disappeared off the bottom of the screen. The game didn't come down to that one play, but it was still a 1-score ballgame at that point. Next play Mann shanked his punt & Balt got their second score after starting their possession in Jets territory. If they even get a FG on that drive maybe it's a different game. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah Mitchell's getting a bit more trial-by-fire than hoped. Personally I was wishing he'd get his lumps after a couple of months of weekly practices, subbing in for a play or a series here or there in the meantime - odds were against both tackles playing every snap for 17 games - but the best thing (for the team's future) would be for him to have to be the starter for the last month or two, of course assuming he performed well in that capacity. But for an unexpected week 1 starting assignment against a veteran defense, playing next to a 2nd year pro switching positions himself from the prior year? I'm not upset. Or anyway he doesn't sniff at the top 10 reasons to be upset about from that game.

If he's soon looking like a good starter, rather than a good backup, then in the offseason they don't have to break the bank on a LT. Assuming he comes back looking good, the best pipeline move is probably to bring back Brown next year & draft a LT who'd take over starter duties at some point during or after the '23 season. No need to cave to some ~$20MM/year (w/2-years fully gtd) demands from an injury-prone Fant, and Brown is a reasonable backup plan. Plus yeah technically Becton's on the roster, too. A foursome like that really ought to be enough to get through the '23 season & leave them with a youthful pair of starting tackles beyond that. So far it's looking like that vet OL money would be better spent on extending McGovern (centers aren't that pricey in comparison) but there are 16 games left  yet, so we'll see.

Re: Flacco, and I mentioned it already, but the one that I couldn't get past was the checkdown on 3rd & long when he wasn't under some crazy duress & his purportedly #1 WR was open past the sticks. Maybe the all-22 will show Davis wasn't so open, but it sure looked like it during the game, up until he disappeared off the bottom of the screen. The game didn't come down to that one play, but it was still a 1-score ballgame at that point. Next play Mann shanked his punt & Balt got their second score after starting their possession in Jets territory. If they even get a FG on that drive maybe it's a different game. 

Yeah, I really liked the Mitchell pick because I couldn't stand Edoga on the team.  That guy kept getting beat regularly, and would screw up plays by himself.  I wanted him to be the injury fill in guy, that comes in when someone gets a cramp or something, but now it means we have no viable depth.  

I'm not the biggest fan of keeping Fant because he's inconsistent, but not sure how much of a choice we would have at this point.  If we are picking top 10, have to seriously wonder about Wilson and possibly replacing him.  If we pick outside of the top 10, you have to wonder why a LT dropped there.  We may not have a choice but to sign him to a front loaded contract, and then try to find another OT in the later rounds to act at Mitchell's back up.  Becton of course remains the wildcard, especially since his 5th year option will almost assuredly be declined next off-season.  So he will be going into his "walk year" as well, so I wonder if that motivates him.  

There's a ton of them where he's making reads like a rookie.  Right after the Raven's second touchdown, there's a 2nd and 9, and I think it's Cover 1 zone.  Davis goes in motion, and they are essentially running a high low read on the LB in the middle.  If the linebacker stays, dump off to RB in space, get 5 yards likely (maybe more if he makes the guy miss), and if the linebacker comes up, hit Davis on the inside curl.  Flacco starts running outside the pocket for some reason (it was a clean pocket until then) and throws an uncatchable pass to the sidelines.  I don't even understand what he was doing because he's looking at that read and then passes it off, even though the route combination is set up well against zone defense.  

I've seen the end zone angle of that pass, it does look like Davis is open, albeit I haven't seen the All-22.  From my understanding, it was Cover 2, and Davis splits the safeties for an easy throw, but Flacco just dumped it off.   I'm just not sure what he's adding to any offense.  

Since 2013, he has a 82.7 rating, which if we look at last year's stats would place him 28th, right behind broken shoulder Mayfield.  

• Upvote 1

Rewatched game and there is indeed a lot of blame to go around

1. Flacco Sucks - even when he has time balls are sailing or more likely going into the turf; no pocket presence

2. Play calling sucked for O especially in the first; this crap about 15 plays limiting Garrett is bad enough, but first play we ran outside and it was a big gain, we ran inside most of the time afterwards - can't run inside on Ravens especially with the suspect OL.

3. Special Teams sucked; take away the missed attempts and the bad punt - and they still didn't play well - soft coverage.

4. Lots of sloppy play by many, especially the rookies.

5. I like Berrios and Davis but we need to get the explosive players more touches.

6. Our safeties cannot cover.

7. I didn't like running to use up Baltimore TO instead of playing for the TD; didn't like not challenging the incomplete with Jets recovery in the 1st or the Jackson run for the first in the 3rd; why draft Sauce and sign Reed and play so much zone?

while i felt the officiating was pretty bad - the loss lands squarely on the jets.

The good:

1. Sauce and Reed look good, Whitehead (bad in coverage) and Alexander played well

2. Jets run defense

3. Pressure by Jets with 4 or 5 rushers (QW practically intercepted the ball on one play)

4. Wilson (he did not get enough opportunities - he could be special)

5. Players fought most of the game - a lot of them giving the extra effort.

6. Breece Hall looks like he will be good but he has to hold onto the ball

The sad:

1. Jets outplayed the ravens in the 1st - take away the mistakes and we win the first quarter; by the 4th stats are almost identical; take away to two turnovers (fumble really hurt as they were driving) and who knows.

2. Jets D played very well, but had too many mistakes; pretty much 1 on each Ravens TD - the PI in 2nd quarter; Whitehead failed to pick up the receiver crossing in front of him in the 3rd (also bad punt didn't help) - blown coverage at end of 3rd quarter (we need a cover S).

3. First 3rd down conversion (without penalty) wasn't until 6 minutes into the 4th

4. Clemons could have had a fumble recovery but ball just bounced wrong.

Hats off to Flacco - he sucked, but the Ravens gave him a beat down and he just kept popping back up.