Constructive Criticism: What Changes Would YOU Make for Week 2?

Warfish

As opposed to how they look currently?
I'm good with a little desperation.  Much better than the "nothing to see here, we really battled out there" mentality that the current CS seems to be pushing, at least publicly.  

I wish this staff had that kind of conviction, but we all know they don’t. If they did they would have started White from the beginning.
  • Upvote 2

The most obvious id creating time for whoever is in the pocket.  That said, Flacco just doesn't show it anymore, and IMO has always been a product of a great organization and team.

I personally would bring White in.  As has been said by many on here, Flacco has no future here and we should get a deeper look into White anyway.  I was in full support of whomever the coaches felt gave us the best chance to win, but we are not going to be competitive with Flacco, so let's see what else we have.

I would run more 21 personnel particularly, and possibly line up Wilson the backfield in some packages for either Carter or Hall.  The TE can help in protection and provide an outlet after a one count.  You can split one of the backs to make 3 WR sets based on the look that the defense is giving us.  It will also provide another outlet.

This will also cause the defense to start closing the short and intermediate and open up some one on one opportunities for Moore and Davis.

This is all said feeling the line itself will be OK, however, we need to play smaller to create big plays.  IMO

• Upvote 1

Defense is very nice.  I like what I see a lot.

Offensive skill position is very good.  Love what I see.  

Obviously, the QB is the problem.

I'd go with a high percentage short passing game with lots of running too.  Run screen plays, slats, hitch and so on.  

That could potentially be an offense they could accel at.  

• Upvote 2

I think you make the QB change or at least plan on it early. There was zero energy from the offense today and some of that comes from the QB. The team was down 20+ points and is running a 16 play drive by dinking and dunking down the field like they were up 10. White may completely stink up the place but at least I think you would see some energy from the team until he implodes. 

Id put Wilson on the field more just to see if he can spark anything. He had some energy today. No real reason to not activate Mims either. 

Defense is what it is. We knew safety was thin and it would be a challenge and it was. Dont think they have options there. Saleh seems to get the D to play with some intensity in the first half of games before they just bail once the offense looks like they give up. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, heymangold said:

If mike white was better than joe flacco, they would have started him.  I really don’t see them switching QBs unless it’s to Zach.

False. I think that’s true in some scenarios, but this coaching staff has shown naïveté and nepotism trump good decisions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

False. I think that’s true in some scenarios, but this coaching staff has shown naïveté and nepotism trump good decisions.

This speaks to the truth.

I am not a mike white guy but you can’t tell me looking at play last year and now today that Flacco is a better option.

I would love to see strev until Zach comes back but in all fairness, I don’t care if Fred flinstone  is our qb.

this team simply has to improve or it is yet another rinse repeat

20 minutes ago, Trotter said:

This speaks to the truth.

I am not a mike white guy but you can’t tell me looking at play last year and now today that Flacco is a better option.

I would love to see strev until Zach comes back but in all fairness, I don’t care if Fred flinstone  is our qb.

this team simply has to improve or it is yet another rinse repeat

Flacco shouldn’t be rostered, honestly.

The league does everything possible to cater to athletes that play QB. 250 yards is considered a mediocre passing performance. Yet, the Jets continue to struggle to generate offense. It’s dumb.

All around the league you see 20 year old prospects paired with offensive coaches. Woody keeps trying to find a DC that is the next BB. Woody sucks.

• Upvote 2

We have seen Flacco for parts of three different seasons with the Jets, and he is SOMEHOW still starting games. I'm not a Mike White guy, but I do think he gives the team a better chance of winning. Streveler is going to continue being who Streveler was before he got here, but at least he offers a dimension that neither White or Flacco have. He has legs. 

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'm not a Mike White guy, but I do think he gives the team a better chance of winning.

You beat me to it. We are not Mike White guys, but...

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Ok, we're all unhappy.  That's a given.

But lets try and think constructively (not positively, note, but constructively).

Looking at the real world roster we have today, and any free agents currently available, what changes would you make to try and improve the on-field performance of our Jets for week 2.

Try to keep it realistic, (sorry @jgb, trading for Minshew probably doesn't meet that criteria).

We are what we are, we have what we have:  Is there anything you would do to try and improve next week?

(P.S. If your take is "we suck, nothing can be done, burn it all down", just skip this thread please.  I feel you, but it doesn't make for enjoyable theory-crafting lol).

I'll give my own a bit later.

Warfish this is simple…….Defense was not the problem and this is a much better matchup.

more imaginative play calling on offense, no turnovers and convert more on 3rd down.  It’s pretty simple.   Can’t wait to see the line cuz leaning Jets heavy

19 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You beat me to it. We are not Mike White guys, but...

I honestly don’t understand the need for a qualifier. You want to see the Jets do sensible things. You don’t need to be a ‘Mike White guy’ for that. 

• Upvote 2

I really don't see how you can possibly start Flacco again. The offensive woes weren't all on him but he brought the offense down rather than up. A veteran backup QB should be able to string some first downs together. Flacco just looked slow in the pocket moving around and processing his reads. Just an anchor that didn't help. Basically, brings nothing to the table at this point that I can see.

Aside from that I'd play Wilson more and Davis less.

Was it just me or did the offensive play calling seem much less creative than it was the second half of last year?

• Upvote 1

i dont know why all the passes to TE's seemed to be outs, we have some talent at that spot, is there a seam route in the playbook? or a short post? get the big boys running downhill

as someone said earlier get Joyner off the field

run the ball more, give Hall a chance to get in a grove, Carter should be change of pace. RB's need carry's to get a feel for the game

where was flacco's big arm? stretch the field with our two speedsters Moore and Wilson

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

A head coach with some balls and a head coach that was ready to do whatever is needed to win would tell Flacco to take a seat and start White and Streveler ready to come in if White isn't getting it done. Simple as that. If we see Flacco again then I will have lost any confidence I might still have left in Saleh. 

They’re absolutely going to start Flacco and try to fast-forward the return of Zach. Honestly they’re in too deep to change much. Saleh ran a day camp all summer, the injuries happened, and the team already sounds like they’ve fully embraced another redshirt season. Jets are currently 6.5 point dogs against the Browns, who didn’t look too bad today. If the Jets go out there and get their asses handed to them in Cleveland, the walls are going to close in pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re absolutely going to start Flacco and try to fast-forward the return of Zach. Honestly they’re in too deep to change much. Saleh ran a day camp all summer, the injuries happened, and the team already sounds like they’ve fully embraced another redshirt season. Jets are currently 6.5 point favorites against the Browns, who didn’t look too bad today. If the Jets go out there and get their asses handed to them in Cleveland, the walls are going to close in pretty quickly. 

Thanks for the reminder. Just locked that in. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

They’re absolutely going to start Flacco and try to fast-forward the return of Zach. Honestly they’re in too deep to change much. Saleh ran a day camp all summer, the injuries happened, and the team already sounds like they’ve fully embraced another redshirt season. Jets are currently 6.5 point favorites against the Browns, who didn’t look too bad today. If the Jets go out there and get their asses handed to them in Cleveland, the walls are going to close in pretty quickly. 

The problem starts with having a back up qb who can’t run the offense that they want to run with wilson.  So they play the stiff vet thinking the experience matters, but it doesn’t.  We saw that with the pick 6 vs the giants in the preseason.  Flacco is done.  He’s not even mccown who can manage games and keep them close.  But saleh thinks that using white is a signal that they’re throwing in the white flag, so playing Flacco is more of a marketing tool, trying to convince everyone they’re actually trying to win.  Reminds me of how bowles coached when he knew he was on the hot seat, he coached to keep games close so he could point to the scoreboard and say “look, we lost by 7,” when he would punt on 4th and 2 from the 50 with 2 minutes left.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We have seen Flacco for parts of three different seasons with the Jets, and he is SOMEHOW still starting games. I'm not a Mike White guy, but I do think he gives the team a better chance of winning. Streveler is going to continue being who Streveler was before he got here, but at least he offers a dimension that neither White or Flacco have. He has legs. 

Streveler also has attitude which would help this team immensely right now.  White doesn't have it and neither does Flacco.  Too many are happy taking home participation trophies...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1