Constructive Criticism: What Changes Would YOU Make for Week 2?

Warfish

Flacco will start again of course, more out of respect for his veteran status, unfortunately.

However, Mike White better be warming up late in the first half or taking over in the second half if Flacco spits the bit again.

Sadly, it’s probably true that the combination of our offensive line + QB is the worst in the league..currently.  With the added exception of our kickers, I think the rest of the group (D + skill position players) played pretty well.

Bench Flacco, Bench Corey Davis.  Promote Strevler and Mimms.  

Stick to the run game, lots of misdirection runs, tire out that d line, and lb’s. Make them have to move laterally instead of being able to just attach straight on.  Use much more screen plays, then use play action when the screens and running game are rolling. 

Then sprinkle in some TE leaks and chunk passes,  wash, rinse and repeat the cycle. 
maybe through in some hurry up, or at least some urgency of speed to the offense when they are resetting for the next down. That puts pressure on the defense and the D coordinator. 

that’s what I would do. 

Semper Fi 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

We are already as the point where you throw in White or Strev. I’d go Strev simply because it would be the most interesting.

This is the only change I would make. I'd go with white but I won't argue with either.

Flacco has looked done for a few years now. No need to see more.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, fastmover said:

Bench Flacco, Bench Corey Davis.  Promote Strevler and Mimms.  

Stick to the run game, lots of misdirection runs, tire out that d line, and lb’s. Make them have to move laterally instead of being able to just attach straight on.  Use much more screen plays, then use play action when the screens and running game are rolling. 

Then sprinkle in some TE leaks and chunk passes,  wash, rinse and repeat the cycle. 
maybe through in some hurry up, or at least some urgency of speed to the offense when they are resetting for the next down. That puts pressure on the defense and the D coordinator. 

that’s what I would do. 

Semper Fi 

Davis had a huge drop that killed early momementum.

But he went on to have about 25% of the jets receiving yards. He's not getting benched.

• Upvote 1

I just rewatched the game.  It wasn't as bad as the first viewing.

A LOT of self destruction.  

There's no way they can keep dropping passes, missing kicks,  and fumbling all year right? 

The line will get better the more they play.  

Stay committed to the run even if it gets stuffed early.  

The defense looked fast and would've shut hem down if they weren't gifted short fields.

I like our chances next week. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

There's no way they can keep dropping passes, missing kicks,  and fumbling all year right? 

The defense looked fast and would've shut hem down if they weren't gifted short fields.

I walked out feeling a lot of the same things.

I am most worried about the defense and the scheme. And today they controlled the line of scrimmage.

The bar is low but it was nice to see them not give up running yards all over the place.

Bench flacco and win next week 

• Upvote 2

If the team had just run wildcat all day today they probably score about the same or more.   The offense just can’t be the same next week.    Put strevelerwood back there, pound the ball and find a way to get the ball to Wilson and Moore.   You can’t run the same o with Flacco and expect different results.   It was just hopeless and that’s not where this team should be 

• Upvote 1

In theory experienced winning football coaches might say at this juncture, "stay the course, don't overreact over one game." 

I like White behind a decent oline but he's not mobile enough for this constantly collapsing pocket. All that Flacco has going for him is that he is robust. Mike White and Zack Wilson will get snapped in two behind the current line.

It's a crazy idea but Streveler as green as he is, he might be only qb on either the practice squad or the roster who is possibly mobile enough to avoid getting injured back there.

Yes, I would look at punters and kickers, that effort out there on a mild wet September day was pathetic.

It's so depressing to watch a running  play called on every first down.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

Cut Mann. 

Bench Flacco. 

Call up the Strev. 

This will fix it all. Wont even need a punter. The Strev does nothing but score. 

That was going to be my response in a nutshell.

Mann has been underwhelming too often. Punting isn't that hard... 

I'm fully expecting the team to go 0-3 with Flacco (and I'm not sure it gets better when Wilson gets back). If we're going 0-3, may as well give a bone to the fans and throw out either White or Strev. I'm not expecting either to win, but at least let's make it interesting.

If the opposing D comes out aggressively because they think they can feast on our Oline, let's go with the quick slants, screens, something to get them thinking blitzing isn't going to be effective and slow down the rush. That'll make the running game a bit better as well.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

First off, you are braver than I. I don't think I could listen to that game again... I hope you didn't do too much damage to yourself...

And yes, we shot ourselves in the foot every single chance we had...

I'm not sure how you coach 'don't drop / fumble the ball' though... Bench Davis if he drops another one? Bring in Mims (who has a checkered past with drops)? Shrug...

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As opposed to how they look currently?

I'm good with a little desperation.  Much better than the "nothing to see here, we really battled out there" mentality that the current CS seems to be pushing, at least publicly.  

"Don't flap your arms around so much, Bob, you don't want to appear to be drowning!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

I saw Saleh on SNY post game. He was asked about the kicker and his misses. I just don't like his responses sometimes. He says " I'm not worried about Z, he'll be fine" Z? Sounds like he is too close to these players. JMHO

You’re right, place sounds like a social club.  Most social clubs don’t do anything productive.  Think about it “Z” has only been a Jet for a few WEEKS, and Saleh is already so comfortable with him that he gave him a nickname?!?!?!

Growing up on NY streets your nickname was EARNED hahaha.

Hey Saleh if you’re reading this don’t call him “Z”, for right here and now his nickname is “Crooked Leg” and that’s going to be tough to change.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No one likes hearing this type of stuff after a bad loss, but there is a lot of truth to this.

Ravens 1st points were a a result of an interception due to a player slipping out of his break.  That play was immediately after an extremely questionable holding call negated a good 1st down play.

They get points following a shanked punt.  They get points after recovering their own fumble in their own territory.  

We missed a FG.  Lost a fumble in/around Red Zone.  Lost a 1st down conversion after recovering our own fumble.

All if that and they were in the game for large portion of the game.  Some of those things won’t continue to happen.

They need to grasp, and in a hurry, that every small detail matters.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Start Mike White. At least he is mobile and plays with some fire in his belly. Flacco is a human statue. He makes Former Jet QB Ken O'Brein look like a gazelle on the field.

CUT BRADEN MANN ON MONDAY. Riddle me this? The guy has always sucked. But, fat Joe didnt even bring in competition at Punter. What is that about? And why cut Steady 8-8 Eddie? So many bad decisions. Only 16 more weeks to go...

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No one likes hearing this type of stuff after a bad loss, but there is a lot of truth to this.

Ravens 1st points were a a result of an interception due to a player slipping out of his break.  That play was immediately after an extremely questionable holding call negated a good 1st down play.

They get points following a shanked punt.  They get points after recovering their own fumble in their own territory.  

We missed a FG.  Lost a fumble in/around Red Zone.  Lost a 1st down conversion after recovering our own fumble.

All if that and they were in the game for large portion of the game.  Some of those things won’t continue to happen.

Yea, but all these things seem to happen to the Jets for the past 12 years.

I don't have an answer, maybe sacrifice a ball boy/trainer to the football gods?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

And that’s on coaching. But I’m not ready to say boot Saleh. Far from it. I think a competent QB would give this offense a major boost of confidence and put some belief in themselves. 
If Zach ain’t it, they need to go all in for the best available guy. 

• Upvote 1

1. Obviously get Flacco the hell out of the starting line-up Mike White starts next week. I particularly was Impressed when Joe Flacco faked a handoff with no one in the back field (RB had already moved into a blocking stance in front of him) And that split second where he took his eyes off the play he got sacked . Just great play by the 37 year old Vet. The Cager slip was not the reason for the INT Cager was cutting underneath that player and the ball would have sailed way over his head anyway since said defender had to jump and catch the ball at its highest point.

2. Greg Zuerlein Absolutely Sucks he misses extra points at an alarming rate and he's just not good over all. Pinero who we should have kept 3-3 on extra points and 1-1 field goals. Not sure who we can bring in but this was the single biggest mistake in the offseason and you could see it struck a chord with Saleh when he was asked about the decision in todays Post game presser. A young team can NOT have the wind taken  out of its sails with a kicker who misses a lot of extra points and field goals

3. Garrett Wilson needs to be on the field more and not as the 4th WR . 

4. We did not utilize the TE's at all in the middle of the field and we need to see more of that.

I would not change anything on defense they looked the part but as we have seen in recent years if the offense can't sustain drives eventually our defense and any defense is going to get beat. Lamar extended a play which hurt us but for the most part he was contained.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2022 at 6:15 PM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Start Mike White

Move Corey Davis to WR #4 and start Wilson.

Double the run attempts for carter and hall.

Cut Mann. Sign a punter off the street. 

Pretty sure Brett Kern is available. Not the longest punter but he typically had pretty good performances. won’t f up for sure

Who was more responsible for this mess?  Tomlinson the turn style of Flacco the statue?

Maybe it was the OC for never calling a screen pass or going deep.  Maybe it was running it up the middle. 

Maybe it was all the drops, fumbles, interceptions, lousy passes, and horrible kicking and punting. 

Let's pull a George Costanza next week and do the opposite.    

On 9/11/2022 at 9:17 PM, David Harris said:

Rewatching. 

Laken Tomlinson is terrible. First quarter is Brian Winters bad.

QW get off is great.

Mitchell got a lot of TE help as he should

EDIT: AVT looked bad too.  Connor McGovern was by far the best O-lineman. You read that right.

that is what happens when you "baby" players who are supposed to work as a unit during preseason......because "preseason doesn't matter"