Flacco Suggests Jets Offense had Lack of Urgency in Season Opener

JetNation

Joe Flacco

This isn’t great news for Robert Saleh.  The head coach whose mantra since arriving at 1 Jets drive has been “all gas, no brake” may have just suffered a blowout.  No, not the one the Jets experienced at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, but a quote from his starting quarterback.

While addressing the media, Flacco made a comment to kick things off that he’s almost certain to back away from or call a miscommunication.

“We would get right around mid-field on a couple of drives and we should have had some energy going behind us and we kind of just” (Flacco then switches to a lazy “I don’t want to clean my room” teenager voice) ‘Oh yeah, let’s go…let’s go after the ball’ and then we just never turned the corner and got going”

Flacco was also honest about his own play, saying there were plays on which he could have checked down and “picked up a short gain”.  Instead, the Jets saw Flacco hold on to the football far too long time and again, leading to sacks, hits and pressures.

Flacco’s poor play aside, it’s his suggestion that his teammates lacked urgency during a season opener at home (on the anniversary of 9/11, no less) that should have Jets fans raising a collective eyebrow.

The post Flacco Suggests Jets Offense had Lack of Urgency in Season Opener appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Just now, carlito1171 said:

Dual blame on Flacco for not forcing the issue to get the win and ol Rob and the CS for being no gas all talk 

Personally I think there is a ton of blame to go around. I don't think any objective individual would claim Flacco isn't at least partially to blame for that hot mess. He even admitted he forced some throws into tight coverage instead of taking the check down - a vet shouldn't be doing that.

• Upvote 4

The freaking QB is complaining about a lack of urgency? He has got ******* b@lls man......... YOU are the leader on the field, YOU are the one spitting out the plays, YOU are the one out there directing traffic. YOU are the one everyone takes their que from. Were YOU expecting someone else to get everyone rallied up and excited mr ******* joe fool?

I'd like to take the ball and smack his ass right across the chops for standing there talking about how they lacksadaisically walked up to the line when HE was the a$$hole people on the field were taking their cues from. 

He talked about the young guys not displaying that fire?? You old dried up raisin what the **** were YOU out there doing to change that?????

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The guy is an absolute bum and should be no where near this team at all.  Another guy ala rex's good character captains  that somehow has hoodwinked the people in power that he is good or useful or a good team guy.

The entire reason he is there is to be a smart mistake free vet that makes the smart play.

Too bad the coach and GM are going to take a MAJOR hit to their rep by sticking with this guy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Geriatric Joe moved around in the pocket like he was using a walker and he's calling out the offense for lack of urgency. Wow.

I think he's including himself in the criticism when he says "we". Seems more of an honest self assessment rather than calling everyone else out.

But, yeah, the onus is definitely on him and Saleh to give them a sense of urgency. 

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

I think he's including himself in the criticism when he says "we". Seems more of an honest self assessment rather than calling everyone else out.

But, yeah, the onus is definitely on him and Saleh to give them a sense of urgency. 

Saleh should start by benching Geriatric Joe and challenging anyone who questions him in a presser to a fight.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Hey to all you Stat guys..

I really don't want you to start quoting stats 4 months from now to tell me how good the offense was with Joe Flacco - and then point to his 62.5% and 307 yards...

This is what I talk about with you guys.  Watch the game and it tells me Flacco was bad - point to the stats and it seems like a good performance....

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets played the second half like they wanted to go back to the locker room as quickly as possible. 

Perhaps you meant to say the remaining 40%?

Jokes aside, this reminded me of the Mangini years where we’d get down by 7 and start looking for the team bus.

5 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

This.

flacco is right.  the defense played well enough.  the turnovers killed drives and let the ravens play on short fields.  imo this is a team that just wasn't playing as a team, especially the oline.  the ravens were in flacco's face all afternoon.  some players really showed some good flashes.  carter ran the ball very well and wilson showed some exceptional hands and agility.  breece hall will get better.  jemaine got a sack and sauce did as expected at corner.  these guys are all too good to be stuck on a bad team.  hopefully they can be the voices that keep the fire burning. 

Honestly, this pisses me off.

This is not leadership. 

He played like s**t. 

If I was Flacco I would go out there and take ownership of that and I would cover my teammates, especially the young guys. 'Its on me', 'I should have played better', 'everyone played their heart out', 'I was impressed with the rooks, you can't always get the win', 'we will regroup and come back ready next week', 'we gotta give credit to the Ravens' etc., etc. THEN in the locker room, if there WAS an issue with 'laziness' you address it there. Behind closed doors. 

Start Streveler week 2. lol.

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

We were down 14 in the third quarter, facing a 4th and 2 at our own 40, and punted. The whole team is just going through the motions. Really starting to feel like losing isn't really a huge problem for anyone in the organization.

The Jets have already transitioned into their “managed defeat” mode. Losing is actually good as long as certain egos are protected.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

does anyone think mike white would've done better?  hard to say.  i don't think white would function very well under such pressure.

Yes, I think Mike White would have done better. He's more mobile and doesn't have Alzheimer's slowing down his reads to get to the check down when the pocket is rapidly collapsing. 

• Upvote 1

37 year old Joe Flacco of the neck surgery did not sign up for, and was not paid, to QB this team for 4+ games behind a dysfunctional OL.   There is no upside for him here.  This is supposed to be a kicks and giggles job-he is supposed to be running around for his life?

Then Zach was going to be out for 3+ games the move should have been to Mike White, who is otherwise trying to create a future for himself, and is also slightly more mobile.  

Let's call this misjudgment 1. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Hey to all you Stat guys..

I really don't want you to start quoting stats 4 months from now to tell me how good the offense was with Joe Flacco - and then point to his 62.5% and 307 yards...

This is what I talk about with you guys.  Watch the game and it tells me Flacco was bad - point to the stats and it seems like a good performance....

The stats don't point to a good performance.  He had a 74.6 QBR for the game.   He's adjusted yards per attempt was 4.8 yards which is straight up putrid.  He's stats point to a terrible game plan and play calling along with crappy execution.   We actually averaged 4.9 yards per carry.  You can make an argument that we should have never passed the ball and our O would have moved more yards per play.  

The stat line says two things.  Flacco was bad and Lefleur play calling was straight up trash.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We were down 14 in the third quarter, facing a 4th and 2 at our own 40, and punted. The whole team is just going through the motions. Really starting to feel like losing isn't really a huge problem for anyone in the organization.

The sense of urgency needs to be ramped up to Defcon 5 right now.  Starting this Sunday, we need to use every trick in the book to get a win.  Trick plays, going for it on 4th etc etc etc.  Its do or die time now as if we are not careful, we will be 0-3 before Zach even comes back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1