Could Cowboys Look to Jets For Quarterback Help After Dak Prescott Injury?

TBJ

#FreeMikeWhite

If the Cowboys look to acquire a quarterback after Dak Prescott's Week 1 injury, they could give the Jets a call. 

All of a sudden, the Cowboys need a quarterback.

Perhaps the Jets can help.

Dak Prescott suffered an injury to his right thumb during a disastrous loss to the Buccaneers on Sunday night, an injury that will require surgery.

Prescott will miss six-to-eight weeks and the injury will likely land him on injured reserve, according to ESPN.

As much as New York is dealing with their own quarterback crisis—with Zach Wilson out until at least Week 4, recuperating from right knee surgery—the Jets have a backup that showed last year he's deserving of a bigger opportunity.

Mike White, who was originally drafted by the Cowboys back in 2018, put on a show in his first career start a year ago, dropping 405 yards in an upset win over the soon-to-be AFC champion Bengals. 

Factoring in White's numbers from five total games played last season—all filling in for Wilson during a previous knee injury—the former fifth-round pick racked up 953 passing yards, throwing five touchdowns with eight interceptions. 

Those numbers looked much better before his clunker against the Buffalo Bills in his final start before Wilson's return, a game in which White threw four picks and completed just 54.55% of his passes.

White did all that with a banged-up Jets roster that ended up winning just four games a year ago. Who knows how he could do in Prescott's place with Dallas—granted the Cowboys have their own issues to deal with after a 19-3 loss in Week 1.

If Dallas sticks with their internal options, they'd be rolling with Cooper Rush or Will Grier. Rush has been around with the Cowboys since 2017, so he's extremely familiar with the system and coaching staff (and vice versa), but entering play on Sunday he had only accumulated 424 passing yards in that span. Grier, meanwhile, has played in two NFL games, throwing for 228 yards with four picks.

Obviously this is all speculation. Who knows if the Jets would even be willing to move White, considering the way he's played in the past and how much the organization loves having him around. Then again, with Flacco clearly the second-string option in Florham Park after Wilson, there's less of a reason to hold on to White this year, assuming Wilson is able to come back from his injury in a few weeks and stay healthy for the rest of the campaign. 

Plus, the Jets have Chris Streveler on their practice squad, a signal-caller that shined and won over the fan base (in similar fashion to White) during the preseason.

Who knows, maybe Dallas has been watching White from afar, knowing his potential from when they drafted him all those years ago. If they're comfortable with their depth, then there's no reason to make a trade. If they really want to replace Prescott, they can shoot higher than a backup like White (how 'bout Jimmy Garoppolo). 

It's worth a conversation, though. Remember, these two teams chatted about a possible trade not too long ago, reportedly discussing a deal for offensive lineman Chuma Edoga. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/could-dallas-cowboys-replace-injured-dak-prescott-trade-new-york-jets-mike-white

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Holy sh*t.  Mike White is not good.  Jesus.  He had 1, count it... 1 good game.  I notice how you casually leave out the Buffalo game where he had a 33.4 QB Rating and 4 INTs.  There is a reason he is number 3 on our depth chart and other teams are not giving up number 1 picks for a 3rd string QB.  Just stop.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, xJayce said:

I get the thought process with this, and I'm happy it was stating in the initial post, but if a team is coming to us looking for QB help, they're screwed... 

Can we not send them Flacco? He's obviously better, as per the Jets coaching staff.

Flacco is done.  He looked SLOW yesterday. Not saying he needs to be Lamar Jackson with the legs but a basic 3 or 5 step drop takes 10 minutes with him he would get murdered behind the cowboys offensive line

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, williecrystal said:

Flacco is done.  He looked SLOW yesterday. Not saying he needs to be Lamar Jackson with the legs but a basic 3 or 5 step drop takes 10 minutes with him he would get murdered behind the cowboys offensive line

Yeah, sorry, there was a lot of sarcasm that didn't make it through to the post...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, xJayce said:

I get the thought process with this, and I'm happy it was stating in the initial post, but if a team is coming to us looking for QB help, they're screwed... 

Can we not send them Flacco? He's obviously better, as per the Jets coaching staff.

They’re looking at us because they are looking at Streveler who will win their division for them and take them to the playoffs.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

I would be happy to trade Flacco (why would they want him) and Mike White for a 4th - hopefully we wouldn't need to send more than a 4th to loose them :-)

I would rather watch the Strev - while I expect he will suck and that Flacco and White are probably better, at least he plays with fire and passion and the team seams to rally around him. The O would hopefully be fun to watch. We aren't winning many games with Flacco or White anyway.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, williecrystal said:

Yeah your point is Mike white sucks and him beating the bengals was a fluke we get it.  My point is Zach Wilson sucks and has yet to play well against even a mediocre NFL defense 

Wilson had Brady beat for over 59 minutes, putting up a Jet lead against Tampa’s #4 ranked D, with Berrios as his #1 and No RBs.

Lets see if he can duplicate that game on a semi consistent basis, with way more weapons at the skill positions before writing him off.

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Wilson had Brady beat for over 59 minutes, putting up a Jet lead against Tampa’s #4 ranked D, with Berrios as his #1 and No RBs.

Lets see if he can duplicate that game on a semi consistent basis, with way more weapons at the skill positions before writing him off.

How many games does Wilson have over 300 or more yards passing?

338E5373-F05B-4D5B-8DE9-B1249D567D36.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I would be happy to trade Flacco (why would they want him) and Mike White for a 4th - hopefully we wouldn't need to send more than a 4th to loose them :-)

I would rather watch the Strev - while I expect he will suck and that Flacco and White are probably better, at least he plays with fire and passion and the team seams to rally around him. The O would hopefully be fun to watch. We aren't winning many games with Flacco or White anyway.

Actually you’re not winning ANY games with Flacco at this stage of his career (learned yesterday he had Peyton Manning neck surgery, guy shouldn’t even be out there)...0-10 last 10 games starting.  He should never start again.  For any team.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like Zach's 37.0 rating against New England?

Or his 42.6 rating against Denver?  Or his 58.5 rating against Houston?  Or his 59.8 rating against New Orleans?

Or his own low-effort 66.0 rating against Buffalo, in one of the least impressive passing efforts in Jets history?

I presume low ratings isn't a disqualifier for you, or you'd be against Zach given his worst in NFL rating last year.

White had one truly great game (not good, great).  But it was only one, true enough.

He started out his 2nd start on-pace to do it again, with 95 yards and a TD in the first quarter before being hurt, well over 100 rating.  Damn shame about that injury, White has been as fragile as Zachy-poo if not more injury prone.

And while White did throw alot of INT's trying to beat the #1 Buffalo Pass Defense (unlike Zach, who never made any effort to try and beat Buffalo, all he was trying to do was not throw INT's, like most of his post-injury games) he also put up >250 yards passing, one of only a few to do that last year vs. that elite pass D.  

QB's who try to win vs. great D's sometimes throw INT's against elite Defenses.  

White should be starting for us on Sunday this week, until Zach is back and healthy. Then we should see Zach, and we can compare contract where the to QB's are.  Zach should be miles ahead of White by now.

Cut Flacco today, and let Dallas sign him if they need a QB.

Not remotely sure where you got ANYTHING Zach related from my comment.  This is DALLAS trying to trade for Mike White.  Period.  You do you buddy.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, williecrystal said:

Yeah your point is Mike white sucks and him beating the bengals was a fluke we get it.  My point is Zach Wilson sucks and has yet to play well against even a mediocre NFL defense 

What does your point have to do with Dallas trading for MIKE WHITE?  This has nothing to do with Zach.  Simple topic.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, williecrystal said:

How many games does Wilson have over 300 or more yards passing?

338E5373-F05B-4D5B-8DE9-B1249D567D36.jpeg

True.  But how many games did he play with any NFL talent around him?  Close to zero point zero.

This year no excuses.  He has all the physical talent you could hope for.  Therefore you can’t write him off yet.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, elvispookie said:

Not remotely sure where you got ANYTHING Zach related from my comment.

You said Mike White sucks and whined about his QB rating. 

So I compared him to our #2 overall draft pick QB.

Do you think Zach sucks?  Maybe you do.

3 minutes ago, elvispookie said:

This is DALLAS trying to trade for Mike White.  Period.  You do you buddy.

A. No one is trading for Mike White.  Including Dallas.

B. Mike White did not suck.  He was the best QB on our roster last year.