The Metlife Turf claims 2 more

bitonti

Ravens' OT Ja'Wuan James tore his Achillies yesterday, likely a career ender.

Cornerback Kyle Fuller tore his ACL. Both non contact injuries. 

I don't know dick about field engineering but at what point to the Giants and Jets admit they installed that turf incorrectly and the whole thing needs to be redone? 

if Zach's knee injury happened in MetLife it would have been way worse 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ravens' OT Ja'Wuan James tore his Achillies yesterday, likely a career ender.

Cornerback Kyle Fuller tore his ACL. Both non contact injuries. 

I don't know dick about field engineering but at what point to the Giants and Jets admit they installed that turf incorrectly and the whole thing needs to be redone? 

if Zach's knee injury happened in MetLife it would have been way worse 

Can't say about the James injury , but the Fuller one was at the end of the game on the play Moore caught the TD but called for OPI. He pushed off on Fuller and his knee just buckled , nothing to do with the turf, or maybe he was just weak from banging Milfs too.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

It gets inspected weekly. All stadiums are 

whatever they are looking for, it's not something that a surface level inspection would pick up

it's not like the turf itself is bad 

i'm thinking something with the grading, the angle of the subsurface.  There's no way all these injuries are coincidental

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

whatever they are looking for, it's not something that a surface level inspection would pick up

i'm thinking something with the grading, the angle of the subsurface.  There's no way all these injuries are coincidental

Would need data from other turf fields to compare 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Injuries are part of the sport and they've been happening forever , even when games were played entirely on grass . Its just back in those days they put on an ace bandage and some epson salt and told them to get back on the field. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

The Johnsons and Mara’s want to make that offseason 💰 using the stadium for concerts and events 

Grass makes this a problem 

I'm always fascinated with the disdain for businessmen making money.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Would need data from other turf fields to compare 

there's a stat from last year that MetLife had 11 more major injuries than every other turf 

but that stat is tough to parse because there's double the games there than every other turf 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They need to go back to well maintained grass. No need to pussyfoot around it. 

Goes back to the Johnson’s(and Mara’s for that matter) Penny pinching ways….Natural grass is more costly to maintain…

Remember when the Niners play us a few years ago and dropped like flies….notably Bosa’s Season ending injury….the Niners had the league investigate and nothing came of it

So the ownership of both franchises have no incentive to change the field….player health and safety be damned 🥴

• Upvote 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Yes, poor players making millions of $$$ , They could go work a desk job or construction if they don't like the risk. 

Not my point. At all. Please brush up on your reading comprehension. 

what is the owners investment worth if their star player or multiple players go down. Bet jerry Jones is a real happy guy today  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's a stat from last year that MetLife had 11 more major injuries than every other turf 

but that stat is tough to parse because there's double the games there than every other turf 

With two teams playing home games there i'd guess w/o looking at stats that it ends up being about league average per team. 

Just now, Xtina said:

Not my point. At all. Please brush up on your reading comprehension. 

what is the owners investment worth if their star player or multiple players go down. Bet jerry Jones is a real happy guy today  

Investments are a risk in any sport or business . I'm sure if the owner's felt the playing conditions were jeopardizing their ROI they'd make a change. I still haven't met a single human being who likes losing money. 

3 minutes ago, Xtina said:

I’m always fascinated by the disdain shown to athletes making money. 

No disdain at all , they choose their job and conditions that come with it, no one is pointing a gun at their heads telling them they have to play football.  

• Thumb Down 1

Here is a schedule of the various different turfs.

16 teams play on grass, 16 on artificial turf.

The Jets and Giants, Bengals and Vikings play on the same type of artificial turf.  One of those teams was in the SB last year.

Interesting to see if there is any injury correlation across those 4 teams.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/which-nfl-stadiums-have-artificial-turf-vs-real-grass#:~:text=Sixteen NFL stadiums have real,a combination of different grasses.

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yeesh. That’s no bueno 

Players choose footwear for a game based on the idea that they do not want their foot to "slip" or "slide" on the turf. If your foot will not slide that energy must be absorbed somewhere, so players end up with knee and ankle injuries. 

Switching to real turf would probably help because the artificial grass has a higher friction coefficient than real grass -- real grass breaks and has moisture reducing friction in it, while artificial grass grips and the the wider and longer (i.e. more surface) the artificial blade is the more friction it creates.  Real dirt vs. the crumb rubber fake dirt  is a different issue when comes to friction since the crumb rubber is looser than dirt. The players union should really be taking this up, but I fear players like the faster speed fake turf affords them.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

just to be clear I'm not suggesting that the Jets and Giants switch to real grass - that would be a dirt pile by week 8 

that's pie in the sky WSS type stuff 

what I think is happening here is that the Jets/Giants have a sub par surface even by Field Turf standards.

And it's probably not the turf itself (like a 2 million dollar fix) it's probably more complicated something underneath it 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

just to be clear I'm not suggesting that the Jets and Giants switch to real grass - that would be a dirt pile by week 8 

that's pie in the sky WSS type stuff 

what I think is happening here is that the Jets/Giants have a sub par surface even by Field Turf standards.

And it's probably not the turf itself (like a 2 million dollar fix) it's probably more complicated something underneath it 

Hoffa ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3