The greatest trade in the history of the NFL…

Facts

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

And yet they win games and the Jets don't 

It does not matter if Adams never plays again its the commitment to winning that matters 

The Jets don't commit to their players and that's why this team is constantly terrible 

Quinnen Williams should be paid by now 

Give it a couple of years people will say he's worthless too 

The Jets don't commit to players because they generally don't have good players.  The Jamal trade was an attempt to infuse more talent.  The first player the Jets got in trade for Adams was last year and now this year.   They are both under contract.  Will see if they get a second contract.

Way to soon to speculate on how they treat their own under Douglas until contracts actually come up on Douglas's draft picks.

Williams should get a new contract.  The Jets picked up his 5th year option.  He probably will get 4 and 80 million with half guaranteed.  We shall see.  Williams has shown no concern at all.  Hopefullly that's not the truth.  He should get a new contract.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

True but it’s your assertion that “this isn't the same Jets... they actually pay players to come back.”

Was hoping you’d have more than “well, they’re haven’t not not done it yet.”

JFM, Berrios both earned contracts. Thats the best players they have had to sign so far. Its not like they let some All-Pro leave because they didn't want to pay him.

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

The Jets don't commit to players because they generally don't have good players.  The Jamal trade was an attempt to infuse more talent.  The first player the Jets got in trade for Adams was last year and now this year.   They are both under contract.  Will see if they get a second contract.

Way to soon to speculate on how they treat their own under Douglas until contracts actually come up on Douglas's draft picks.

Williams should get a new contract.  The Jets picked up his 5th year option.  He probably will get 4 and 80 million with half guaranteed.  We shall see.  Williams has shown no concern at all.  Hopefullly that's not the truth.  He should get a new contract.  

True except JA was a malcontent and not worth the money... So cry all they want a Box safety that doesn't get turnovers and is a glorified small LB is not worth 15 Million a year...

Just now, Skeptable said:

JFM, Berrios both earned contracts. Thats the best players they have had to sign so far. Its not like they let some All-Pro leave because they didn't want to pay him.

Macc extended players, too. Seriously looking for the differentiator here. Help me out.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

True except JA was a malcontent and not worth the money... So cry all they want a Box safety that doesn't get turnovers and is a glorified small LB is not worth 15 Million a year...

By malcontent you mean he played his ass off for a professional football team and wanted to get paid.  I have no problem with that.  I have no problem with the team having a different judgement on his value and trading him for what the Jets felt was excellent value.  

One of the things I like about JD is he didn't get into any of that.  He simply made a value calculation and I think JD did the right thing for the team.  JD didn't let Jamal get to him and give him away or make him out to be a malcontent which might have lowered his value.   He stayed out of the fray and got max value.  What's not to like about that.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Q seems to be the logical next.  Doesn't seem there's any anomosity between him and the team.  I suspect they are working on it.  

Maybe, was just was asking why some attribute a different modus operandi re extensions to the team now versus in the past and what evidence that was based on.

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

2020 Seahawks

9-4 w Jamal / 3-1 wo Jamal

2021 Seahawks

4-8 w Jamal / 3-2 wo Jamal

2022 Seahawks

1-0 wo Jamal

So recapping...

13-12 w Jamal

7-3 wo Jamal

Translation

The Seahawks were essentially a .500 team with Jamal playing, and they were an actual winning team when he was out with one of many injuries. 

Secondary Translation:

The Seahawks paid a billion dollars and 2 first round picks to be worse off with Jamal, than without him. 

Tyra Banks Mic Drop GIF by Allure

Suck it @bitonti

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Saving money is not the same as winning games 

Horrible contracts are a big part of why this team has lost for a long time.  Jamal would have been another in a long line of bad ones.

This idea that the Jets never spend is silly.  They spend, just on the wrong players.  SEE:  Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez, Trumaine Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, CJ Mosley, etc.

• Sympathy 1

And yet they win games and the Jets don't 

It does not matter if Adams never plays again its the commitment to winning that matters 

The Jets don't commit to their players and that's why this team is constantly terrible 

Quinnen Williams should be paid by now 

Give it a couple of years people will say he's worthless too 

The whole basis for your argument was Seattle going 12-4 and crediting that to Jamal.

Someone comes along and gives easy proof showing Jamal is not responsible for those wins, so you redirect to say "Oh that doesn't matter"?

Just take the L you stubborn old fool.

54 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You believe that, I'll believe the opposite but either way it's hypothetical 

The bottom line here is calling it the greatest trade in nfl history while the Jets are historically terrible is a freezing cold take 

Like all those over 5.5 tickets 

It's sh*t Jets fans say to distract ourselves from the dumpster fire that is this franchise 

It's up there with "addition by subtraction" 

Side note robby Anderson balled out last week another dude who they just couldn't be bothered to pay. Corey Davis can't hold SunRa's jock 

The Jets still suck AND the Jamal Adams trade was smart.  These aren't mutually exclusive.  Paying Jamal Adams would have done more harm than good.  That's the whole point we're making.  We're not saying the Jets are run well.  Far from it.  

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Quinnen Williams is the best player on the team 

We just don't like him because he wants money 

Same as Jamal 

I was totally fine with Darrelle Revis getting his first big contract here.  As were many others.  Why?  Because he was an impact player that actually moved the needle for the franchise.

You just want to pay guys for the sake of paying them.  How did that work out with, say, CJ Mosley?

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Horrible contracts are a big part of why this team has lost for a long time.  Jamal would have been another in a long line of bad ones.

This idea that the Jets never spend is silly.  They spend, just on the wrong players.  SEE:  Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez, Trumaine Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, CJ Mosley, etc.

Don't forget Enunwa, probably the dumbest extension in team history (Sanchez also up there). To claim that JD is the first Jets GM in a long time to be willing to give out extensions is rubbish.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

Who has JD extended?

Franklin-Myers.  Hasn't worked out great so far.  Braxton Berrios got a 2-year deal.  That one does seem worth it.

Players shouldn't be extended simply for the sake of extending a player and spending the money you have available.  They need to be players worth paying.  Quinnen Williams is likely going to demand Leonard Williams' money ($21M per year).  No way he's worth that.

But if Elijah Moore continues to play well?  I'll be happy to see him get extended as soon as he's eligible (following the 2023 season).  Since the 2020 class ended up a complete bust, there's precious few homegrown guys on the roster worth paying just yet.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't forget Enunwa, probably the dumbest extension in team history (Sanchez also up there). To claim that JD is the first Jets GM in a long time to be willing to give out extensions is rubbish.

I dunno who is making THAT particular argument.  I'm responding to Bitonti's assertions that:  1) The Jets NEVER extend/pay up, and 2) Jets FANS don't want them to.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nor should he.  What possible justification is there for QW to be worth that kind of coin?

Not saying there is; the poster I was responding to said the JD era represents some kind of sea change where the team is finally willing to extend players. Was asking him to give the basis for the statement.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I dunno who is making THAT particular argument.  I'm responding to Bitonti's assertions that:  1) The Jets NEVER extend/pay up, and 2) Jets FANS don't want them to.  

Not bitoni that other guy who thumbs down everything I forget his name already 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not saying their is, the poster I was responding to said the JD era represents  some kind of sea change where the team is finally willing to extend players. Was asking him to give the basis for the statement.

To be fair, I do think JFM and Berrios were indeed steps in that direction.  The last homegrown player of any significance that had received an extension here prior to those 2 was Muhammad Wilkerson.  Unless you want to count 2016 third rounder Jordan Jenkins, who received a 1-year "show me" kind of deal in 2020 before being allowed to walk the following season. 

And while JFM was originally a Ram before he came to the Jets, the team did "develop" him into an extendable player.  

Drafting poorly is of course the top reason why no one else has gotten a 2nd deal.

Saving money is not the same as winning games 

https://www.sportscasting.com/what-nfl-team-spending-most-money-2022/

jets are 5th in spending this year.

you have been consistently wrong about the cash spending and never back up your statements with facts.  i have shown you several times where you were wrong about the spending.

you hate woody but it seems to impact most of your thinking on the jets.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To be fair, I do think JFM and Berrios were indeed steps in that direction.  The last homegrown player of any significance that had received an extension here prior to those 2 was Muhammad Wilkerson.  Unless you want to count 2016 third rounder Jordan Jenkins, who received a 1-year "show me" kind of deal in 2020 before being allowed to walk the following season. 

And while JFM was originally a Ram before he came to the Jets, the team did "develop" him into an extendable player.  

Drafting poorly is of course the top reason why no one else has gotten a 2nd deal.

I count them all. So the only difference is that "JD is only extending the right guys" -- ok, we will see, but the poster I responded to said "this isn't the same Jets they extend players now" (paraphrase, too lazy to scroll).

• Upvote 1

Just now, batman10023 said:

you have been consistently wrong about the cash spending and never back up your statements with facts.  i have shown you several times where you were wrong about the spending.

Bit also seems to have amnesia about the circumstances behind Adams' departure.  JD never actively demonstrated he wanted to let Adams go, only that he wanted to wait a bit to hand him an extension.  Adams threw a hissy fit and shot his way out of town.  

Totally a guy you regret not extending.  

• Upvote 1

You believe that, I'll believe the opposite but either way it's hypothetical 

The bottom line here is calling it the greatest trade in nfl history while the Jets are historically terrible is a freezing cold take 

Like all those over 5.5 tickets 

It's sh*t Jets fans say to distract ourselves from the dumpster fire that is this franchise 

It's up there with "addition by subtraction" 

Side note robby Anderson balled out last week another dude who they just couldn't be bothered to pay. Corey Davis can't hold SunRa's jock 

they should have used some of the cap to pay Anderson. agree. 

but they signed cory davis instead a year later  the jets gave him a 27MM guarantee.  

robby anderson signed a contract (2 years) with 10MM in guarantees and then another 20MM guarantee later.  so 30MM total 

we signed that other Perriman dude for 6MM guarantee.  so 33mm total.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

The Jets spent to the cap one year out of 5 that's not a miracle 

Fact is I'd rather they paid for Jamal Adams and his terrible injuries then 40 mil on laken tomlinson (!) who ****in sucks 

The home grown players know that the only way to get paid is to leave 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Is it your contention we would have won a meaningful amount of additional games if we had made Adams the highest paid defender in the NFL?

Yes. 

It shows a commitment beyond Adams and his injuries 

And they had the room to spend they'd just rather spend it on Ryan Kalil and Duane brown failures 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bit also seems to have amnesia about the circumstances behind Adams' departure.  JD never actively demonstrated he wanted to let Adams go, only that he wanted to wait a bit to hand him an extension.  Adams threw a hissy fit and shot his way out of town.  

Totally a guy you regret not extending.  

His own teammates wanted him off the team but, sure, we should absolutely have extended him. Douglas would probably be fired if he had signed Jamal and got the same production out of him that Seattle just got. 

• Haha 1