Kind of amazing how quickly this place turned on Saleh (merged)

5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Your gonna tell me a lifetime Jets fans is gonna be broken by words the head coach directed at the media but was lapped up deliciously by the downtrodden SOJF brigade. The Mud Bowl didn't do it , the Keith Byars fumble nope, Doug Brien's missed FG's , Vinny T's achilles etc.......... No the Jets HC challenging the media is what will push fans away - that's ludicrous and  certainly won't effect this fan one iota . 

How about Eric Bartons roughing the passer in 2004 against San Diego 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If Wilson comes back and shows little to no progress, then yes, Douglas can eat a dick and kick rocks with the rest of them.

Saleh is JD’s hand picked HC.

Zach Wilson is the highest drafted QB in this franchises history this side of Joe Namath by way of JD’s hand.

JD’s 2020 draft class looks like a massive mound of dogsh*t that would make Mike Maccagnan and John Idzik point their collective fingers at while snickering.

To hell with a contender, this guy doesn’t get half a decade to put a semi-watchable product on the field.

Do you people even realize how stupid that sounds?

Either he starts producing results (very quickly) or he can crawl back to Eric DeCosta and beg him for the director of college scouting position in Baltimore.

and how much is Mac and Idzik laughing at the 21 and 22 draft classes.? 

so the 20 class was a bust. but his next 2 arent. covid restrictions, drafting for Gase, 1st time.. whatever it was. laugh if you want but how else do you explain going from such a horrible draft to getting the next 2 right.

if Wilson is a bust he shouldnt lose his job if the rest of this team is good.

if JD hit on 50% of his moves which i would guess most good GMs do thats 50% better than the last 2 GMs we had.

whats more Jetsy, us firing JD and find someone better, or find someone worst. 

i think there is way too much overreacting going on here. the defense played much better than last year. i think they were gassed in the 2nd half because our offense kept shooting themselves in the foot.

young guys making mistakes that cost us. MC1 drop on an easy TD. Halls Fumble at the 16 in his 1st NFL game. missed kicks. that all can and should be cleaned up. Flacco didnt have to throw one extra pass and this game should have been 24-23.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet hustle said:

How about Eric Bartons roughing the passer in 2004 against San Diego 

We WON that game!

The stupid Barton penalty was only assuring the “That’s So Jets” cliche & would induce Jets fan into cardiac arrest (Fate is a cruel yet tantalizing mistress) and for those Jets fans that DIDNT DROP DEAD on the spot after the flag, it still is one incredible memory and playoff victory. ?

Yeah the Jets beat San Diego because shotty senior settled for a long FG attempt when they were rolling down the field....and we were all gleeful.

The very next week dumbass herm edwards does the EXACT SAME thing and Brien misses.

Also that Barton penalty is worth mentioning, one of the dumbest all time penalties.  I was as mad as i have been watching a jets game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

so the 20 class was a bust. but his next 2 arent. covid restrictions, drafting for Gase, 1st time.. whatever it was. laugh if you want but how else do you explain going from such a horrible draft to getting the next 2 right.

if JD hit on 50% of his moves which i would guess most good GMs do thats 50% better than the last 2 GMs we had.

i think there is way too much overreacting going on here. the defense played much better than last year. i think they were gassed in the 2nd half because our offense kept shooting themselves in the foot.

young guys making mistakes that cost us. MC1 drop on an easy TD. Halls Fumble at the 16 in his 1st NFL game. missed kicks. that all can and should be cleaned up. Flacco didnt have to throw one extra pass and this game should have been 24-23.

By the end of this season JD will have been the GM of the Jets for more games than Macc.

And he currently has a far worse record with a team that has no superstars.

What exactly is JD doing that is so special.

• Upvote 3

It seems most of you missed the original intent of this thread, which was to point out the hypocrisy of some of you who pumped up LeFleur last year. The guy is highly questionable, yet I remember him being called a wizard who was being held back by Wilson, as proven by how “amazing” white and Flacco did last year. Can you make up your mind? Is the offense good and well coached by LeFluer and held back by Wilson, or does it suck and it’s all Salehs fault? 

Many of us oldersters that truly do not believe in positive vibe no touch training camps have voiced our displeasure with Mr Saleh.  That being said ... many of us hoped and still hold this hope that maybe his approach is more effective in the spineless world we are enduring.

Edited by Dunnie

26 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

It seems most of you missed the original intent of this thread, which was to point out the hypocrisy of some of you who pumped up LeFleur last year. The guy is highly questionable, yet I remember him being called a wizard who was being held back by Wilson, as proven by how “amazing” white and Flacco did last year. Can you make up your mind? Is the offense good and well coached by LeFluer and held back by Wilson, or does it suck and it’s all Salehs fault? 

It was White and Josh Johnson. Flacco was fine, but only put up 14 points in his start. 

10 hours ago, doitny said:

It shocks me that people dont realize just how toxic Adam Gase was and just how far to the bottom of the deepest cesspool he dragged this franchise.  Could you imagine, being so terrible at your job, that the dude who essentially handed you a GM position, couldnt wait to get rid of you? Adam Gase will never sniff the NFL again, and dude was the Jets Head Coach.  I just dont know what world these people live in that think this was going to be a quick fix.  Frank Gore ran the ball 38 times in 2 weeks in a lost season where they were supposed to be developing a QB before he broke a record and then!, Adam Gase then gave him week 17 off on the way to second lowest win total in franchise history.  Like, do people not understand how ****ed this team was and that 1 year is not enough to remove the stench?  They had to hit reset, to blame Saleh for the years of ineptitude while he was coaching for other teams, is just bizarre to me.  Very bizarre. 

The overreaction part is to be expected, happens every week and always amplified after week 1 and Jets fans are the worst in the NFL. 

The getting fired for picking Wilson piece is interesting.  I think it's probably a bigger debate but I think it's silly that GM's lose their jobs over picking a QB which is by far, the hardest thing to do in professional sports.  Generational Trevor Lawrence, looks like generational trash!  If Adam Gase didnt beat the Rams, is JD on the hot seat because Generational Lawrence sucks?  That's stupid.  Look, I hated the Wilson pick and wanted FIelds, everyone knows that but I'd rather take swings at the future of the franchise rather than say, go the Chris Ballard route who's too scared to draft a QB because he's afraid to lose his job so is stuck in mediocrity, which I know sounds nice but I was around these boards for the years of mediocrity and I'm not sure which crowd was angrier.  JD has done a fantastic job of acquiring talent, giving him the death shot because of Wilson would be silly, IMO.  I really think you need to look at the entire body of work and not just the choice of QB.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This board existed well before Twitter, Facebook, etc and we were actually much more demonstrably outspoken then. If anything, social media has tempered the outrage expressed toward this sh*t-ass team because people are afraid of getting ratio’d into oblivion.

The board itself is social media. It’s practically designed to start conflict and create echo chambers. I started on jet forums in 04 and it was nothing like it is today. Sure maybe the language has changed and there is less tolerance for certain things, but there was also a lot more actual football talk. Posters have always been dicks, it’s the nature of the beast, and I highly doubt that too many of us give a goose fart about being “ratio’d.”

• Sympathy 1

I still like Saleh, but I think he’s gonna have to ramp up the learning curve. His ideology worked in past gigs when there was good balance of young and old players. You could rely on the veterans to impart things like accountability, trust, fear of consequence.

When it’s all kids, it’s different, it has to come from you. He’s got to close that gap if he wants to succeed.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It shocks me that people dont realize just how toxic Adam Gase was and just how far to the bottom of the deepest cesspool he dragged this franchise.  Could you imagine, being so terrible at your job, that the dude who essentially handed you a GM position, couldnt wait to get rid of you? Adam Gase will never sniff the NFL again, and dude was the Jets Head Coach.  I just dont what world these people live in that think this was going to be a quick fix.  Frank Gore ran the ball 38 times in 2 weeks in a lost season where they were supposed to be developing a QB before he broke a record and then!, Adam Gase then gave him week 17 off on the way to second lowest win total in franchise history.  Like, do people not understand how ****ed this team was and that 1 year is not enough to remove the stench?  They had to hit reset, to blame Saleh for the years of ineptitude while he was coaching for other teams, is just bizarre to me.  Very bizarre. 

The overreaction part is to be expected, happens every week and always amplified after week 1 and Jets fans are the worst in the NFL. 

The getting fired for picking Wilson piece is interesting.  I think it's probably a bigger debate but I think it's silly that GM's lose their jobs over picking a QB which is by far, the hardest thing to do in professional sports.  Generational Trevor Lawrence, looks like generational trash!  If Adam Gase didnt beat the Rams, is JD on the hot seat because Generational Lawrence sucks?  That's stupid.  Look, I hated the Wilson pick and wanted FIelds, everyone knows that but I'd rather take swings at the future of the franchise rather than say, go the Chris Ballard route who's too scared to draft a QB because he's afraid to lose his job so is stuck in mediocrity, which I know sounds nice but I was always around these boards for the year of mediocrity and I'm not sure which crowd was angrier.  JD has done a fantastic job of acquiring talent, giving him the death shot because of Wilson would be silly, IMO.  I really think you need to look at the entire body of work and not just the choice of QB.  

It's funny.  So much I like here and so much I don't.  I agree that the overreaction is a weekly thing.  Win against the Browns and people will be figuring our path to the AFC title, lose and they have the banner writer on speed dial. 

I don't agree that people get a pass because of the toxic nature of Adam Gase.  If anything, that makes it easier.  There won't be any guys around complaining that the old way was better, which Herm and Bowles had to deal with.  How many of those guys are still rostered?  I continually harp on it, but it takes 3 years to completely overhaul a roster.  These guys were blessed with a decent amount of cap space and given the green light to tank 2020.  I am not completely sure, but I think the sum total of guys that were brought in before Douglas consists of Quinnen Williams, Nathan Shephard, George Fant and Jeff Smith.  Yes there were a few from the brief Douglas/Gase era, but c'mon.  Even giving a pass for Becton and Mims, the cupboard is still a bit too bare - unless the coaching is super bad.

I agree about the QB, but I don't think I have much of an issue going the slow play Ballard way.  I agree QB is tough to hit on.  There are so many variables and if they picked Lawrence not a single person would have complained, but we'd still suck.  Of course then it would all be about development.  I would prefer to let somebody drop to me and get lucky.  I appreciate that you have to take a shot, but they basically tanked for Wilson and traded up for Darnold.  Meanwhile, Watson and Mahomes were sitting there when we picked.  I prefer the vet and young guy and let them fight it out and start the best one until you get it right.  Develop your young players which you have time to do if they aren't #2 OVERALL HAS TO PLAY FROM THE JUMP!!  I think there is something to treating your QB like everybody else and making him earn it.

I tend not to watch, but only to read profiles and I preferred Lance to Fields.  There are still a ton of question marks, but at least he was a freak.  I think players respond better when the QB is the #1 athlete on the team.  I know I spent a bunch of time as a kid rolling my eyes at some coaches son who could neither run nor throw tell me why we were handing it off to Johnny when the Dominator was wide open all damned day.  Vinny was worse.  Every game after the first play he'd come back in the huddle and announce  THROW ME THE BALL!  THEY ARE ALL MIDGETS OUT THERE!  MIDGETS!  Fields might be that good an athlete, but you either need magic or something special to get a team to follow you.  Being elevated on merit can add that.  Nobody does this, I think it is mainly that the time is so short, but it also may just be that it won't work anymore.

The trouble with the reactions over week 1 is simple.  There were things that looked better, but we all want to be early adopters and show we KNOW something.  Fact is, it was a rainy game against a strange team.  Did they drop the ball based on conditions and can they correct it?   Are the Ravens a great team that was derailed last year by injuries or are they sh*t?  Are Duvernay and Bateman good or did they just mostly shut down two sh*t WRs and will get feasted on against real players like Diggs, Waddle and Hill?  Is the offensive line sh*t or do they just need to gel?  There are all valid questions that it will take time to answer, BUT we all want to answer them now.  The coach isn't going to tell you the kicker and punter suck and are gone, the QB sucks and is benched, we are going to paddle Joyner or that we aren't putting Hall on to cover anybody faster than a 4.75 40, so we are left to wonder if he even realizes these issues exist.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Sorry.   I thought you were being snarky and felt Lefleur sucked last year.   Didn't realize you were calling out people who thought Lefleur didn't suck for half a year where being hypocrites.

Flacco was terrible last year.  He was amazing compared to Zach last year.   White is cleary the best QB on the roster not named Stevler.  

You can be pro player empowerment or whatever the in phrase is now and still have high intensity practices with hitting and hold players accountable.

You have to get guys ramped up to play and if injuries happen so be it. They’re going to happen regardless. I’m still confused about his preseason approach with such a young team. Maybe he’s not getting buy in from the handful of vets (most were free agents, which could be the issue). There’s also the wrinkle that ownership believes some players are more equal than others when it comes to playing time. It’s never just about football with the Johnsons. I’m still hopeful Saleh can navigate this if he’s truly all in on winning and not just talking. The latest receipts quip was blown out of proportion and Saleh comes off as a thoughtful speaker. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

It shocks me that people dont realize just how toxic Adam Gase was and just how far to the bottom of the deepest cesspool he dragged this franchise.  Could you imagine, being so terrible at your job, that the dude who essentially handed you a GM position, couldnt wait to get rid of you? Adam Gase will never sniff the NFL again, and dude was the Jets Head Coach.  I just dont what world these people live in that think this was going to be a quick fix.  Frank Gore ran the ball 38 times in 2 weeks in a lost season where they were supposed to be developing a QB before he broke a record and then!, Adam Gase then gave him week 17 off on the way to second lowest win total in franchise history.  Like, do people not understand how ****ed this team was and that 1 year is not enough to remove the stench?  They had to hit reset, to blame Saleh for the years of ineptitude while he was coaching for other teams, is just bizarre to me.  Very bizarre. 

The getting fired for picking Wilson piece is interesting.  I think it's probably a bigger debate but I think it's silly that GM's lose their jobs over picking a QB which is by far, the hardest thing to do in professional sports.  Generational Trevor Lawrence, looks like generational trash!  If Adam Gase didnt beat the Rams, is JD on the hot seat because Generational Lawrence sucks?  That's stupid.  Look, I hated the Wilson pick and wanted FIelds, everyone knows that but I'd rather take swings at the future of the franchise rather than say, go the Chris Ballard route who's too scared to draft a QB because he's afraid to lose his job so is stuck in mediocrity, which I know sounds nice but I was around these boards for the year of mediocrity and I'm not sure which crowd was angrier.  JD has done a fantastic job of acquiring talent, giving him the death shot because of Wilson would be silly, IMO.  I really think you need to look at the entire body of work and not just the choice of QB.  

You know the Saleh Era is going well when JiF is writing 500-word posts with the theme “Hey remember how mean Adam Gase was??”

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's funny.  So much I like here and so much I don't.  I agree that the overreaction is a weekly thing.  Win against the Browns and people will be figuring our path to the AFC title, lose and they have the banner writer on speed dial. 

I don't agree that people get a pass because of the toxic nature of Adam Gase.  If anything, that makes it easier.  There won't be any guys around complaining that the old way was better, which Herm and Bowles had to deal with.  How many of those guys are still rostered?  I continually harp on it, but it takes 3 years to completely overhaul a roster.  These guys were blessed with a decent amount of cap space and given the green light to tank 2020.  I am not completely sure, but I think the sum total of guys that were brought in before Douglas consists of Quinnen Williams, Nathan Shephard, George Fant and Jeff Smith.  Yes there were a few from the brief Douglas/Gase era, but c'mon.  Even giving a pass for Becton and Mims, the cupboard is still a bit too bare - unless the coaching is super bad.

I agree about the QB, but I don't think I have much of an issue going the slow play Ballard way.  I agree QB is tough to hit on.  There are so many variables and if they picked Lawrence not a single person would have complained, but we'd still suck.  Of course then it would all be about development.  I would prefer to let somebody drop to me and get lucky.  I appreciate that you have to take a shot, but they basically tanked for Wilson and traded up for Darnold.  Meanwhile, Watson and Mahomes were sitting there when we picked.  I prefer the vet and young guy and let them fight it out and start the best one until you get it right.  Develop your young players which you have time to do if they aren't #2 OVERALL HAS TO PLAY FROM THE JUMP!!  I think there is something to treating your QB like everybody else and making him earn it.

I tend not to watch, but only to read profiles and I preferred Lance to Fields.  There are still a ton of question marks, but at least he was a freak.  I think players respond better when the QB is the #1 athlete on the team.  I know I spent a bunch of time as a kid rolling my eyes at some coaches son who could neither run nor throw tell me why we were handing it off to Johnny when the Dominator was wide open all damned day.  Vinny was worse.  Every game after the first play he'd come back in the huddle and announce  THROW ME THE BALL!  THEY ARE ALL MIDGETS OUT THERE!  MIDGETS!  Fields might be that good an athlete, but you either need magic or something special to get a team to follow you.  Being elevated on merit can add that.  Nobody does this, I think it is mainly that the time is so short, but it also may just be that it won't work anymore.

The trouble with the reactions over week 1 is simple.  There were things that looked better, but we all want to be early adopters and show we KNOW something.  Fact is, it was a rainy game against a strange team.  Did they drop the ball based on conditions and can they correct it?   Are the Ravens a great team that was derailed last year by injuries or are they sh*t?  Are Duvernay and Bateman good or did they just mostly shut down two sh*t WRs and will get feasted on against real players like Diggs, Waddle and Hill?  Is the offensive line sh*t or do they just need to gel?  There are all valid questions that it will take time to answer, BUT we all want to answer them now.  The coach isn't going to tell you the kicker and punter suck and are gone, the QB sucks and is benched, we are going to paddle Joyner or that we aren't putting Hall on to cover anybody faster than a 4.75 40, so we are left to wonder if he even realizes these issues exist.

I'm not giving anyone a pass or blaming this on Adam Gase but the reality is, the team started below sea level when Saleh arrived, so I wholeheartedly disagree that it makes it easier.  This was the worst team in Football, led by the worst leader in Football, it takes time to move on from that just as much as it does to now build a roster from scratch.

As for the QB, I dont think there is 1 full proof way.  We've seen QB's win the SB as vets on their second team in back to back seasons.  So I do think it's situational and I dont mind your approach because of that opinion.  What I'm saying is, I think it's silly that the missing on a QB early is a career killer for GM's.  Just a ridiculous expectation.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know the Saleh Era is going well when JiF is writing 500-word posts with the theme “Hey remember how mean Adam Gase was??”

You really need to get over it.  Adam Gase is never coming back to the NFL and rumor is, he doesnt like you at all.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I still like Saleh, but I think he’s gonna have to ramp up the learning curve. His ideology worked in past gigs when there was good balance of young and old players. You could rely on the veterans to impart things like accountability, trust, fear of consequence.

When it’s all kids, it’s different, it has to come from you. He’s got to close that gap if he wants to succeed.

Fwiw, I think they did a really good job of creating that mix this year.  Sure, it didnt look like it in the first week but when you think about each unit on the team, there is a strong veteran presence on literally every unit.  Which for me, that was the most disappointing part of week 1.  It was the veterans who let this team down, the rookies and 2nd year players (outside of the Hall fumble) played well IMO.  

What I'm hoping is that this was a tough week of film.  You have to hope now that there are some live snaps on tape and their HC is facing criticism coming from all over, that one of the vets in those rooms are stepping up.  I can say, when Joyner blew that coverage, I've never seen Saleh so pissed on the sidelines. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not giving anyone a pass or blaming this on Adam Gase but the reality is, the team started below sea level when Saleh arrived, so I wholeheartedly disagree that it makes it easier.  This was the worst team in Football, led by the worst leader in Football, it takes time to move on from that just as much as it does to now build a roster from scratch.

As for the QB, I dont think there is 1 full proof way.  We've seen QB's win the SB as vets on their second team in back to back seasons.  So I do think it's situational and I dont mind your approach because of that opinion.  What I'm saying is, I think it's silly that the missing on a QB early is a career killer for GM's.  Just a ridiculous expectation.

Parcells came in and took over a team that was worst in the league for two straight seasons.  He should have had them in the playoffs that first year in 1997.  Part of that was that he had a track record and people knew that he was an improvement, but no player was going to give him any back talk.  The Jets were not that bad.  They were 7-9 and then actively tanked in 2020.  They still were not the worset team.  Even assuming that they were building the roster from scratch, that takes 3 years.  They are 2/3 of the way there.  We should see some dividends.  I am not blowing up about losing Sunday, but they can't keep losing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

When’s BS’s next presser?

Bet he walks back his “receipts” thing and says he wasn’t directing it at the fans.

that would be the smart thing to do.

in my opinion: he needs to leave the fans out of that one ASAP, regardless if he meant the fans when he said it.  Really dumb thing to do and say.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Parcells came in and took over a team that was worst in the league for two straight seasons.  He should have had them in the playoffs that first year in 1997.  Part of that was that he had a track record and people knew that he was an improvement, but no player was going to give him any back talk.  The Jets were not that bad.  They were 7-9 and then actively tanked in 2020.  They still were not the worset team.  Even assuming that they were building the roster from scratch, that takes 3 years.  They are 2/3 of the way there.  We should see some dividends.  I am not blowing up about losing Sunday, but they can't keep losing.

True but while those teams records were horrible, that roster really wasnt that bad.  They had good players, many that Parcells inherited and they were relying on a veteran QB, I know O'Donnell wasnt special but he did QB a team to the Super Bowl, and Parcells loved veteran QB's.  So I dont think it was apples to apples but otherwise, I agree completely with this post.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

It shocks me that people dont realize just how toxic Adam Gase was and just how far to the bottom of the deepest cesspool he dragged this franchise.  Could you imagine, being so terrible at your job, that the dude who essentially handed you a GM position, couldnt wait to get rid of you? Adam Gase will never sniff the NFL again, and dude was the Jets Head Coach.  I just dont know what world these people live in that think this was going to be a quick fix.  Frank Gore ran the ball 38 times in 2 weeks in a lost season where they were supposed to be developing a QB before he broke a record and then!, Adam Gase then gave him week 17 off on the way to second lowest win total in franchise history.  Like, do people not understand how ****ed this team was and that 1 year is not enough to remove the stench?  They had to hit reset, to blame Saleh for the years of ineptitude while he was coaching for other teams, is just bizarre to me.  Very bizarre. 

The getting fired for picking Wilson piece is interesting.  I think it's probably a bigger debate but I think it's silly that GM's lose their jobs over picking a QB which is by far, the hardest thing to do in professional sports.  Generational Trevor Lawrence, looks like generational trash!  If Adam Gase didnt beat the Rams, is JD on the hot seat because Generational Lawrence sucks?  That's stupid.  Look, I hated the Wilson pick and wanted FIelds, everyone knows that but I'd rather take swings at the future of the franchise rather than say, go the Chris Ballard route who's too scared to draft a QB because he's afraid to lose his job so is stuck in mediocrity, which I know sounds nice but I was around these boards for the years of mediocrity and I'm not sure which crowd was angrier.  JD has done a fantastic job of acquiring talent, giving him the death shot because of Wilson would be silly, IMO.  I really think you need to look at the entire body of work and not just the choice of QB.  

the handling of Gore drove me NUTS!. i swear they had something in his contract that he was the #2 RB and if Bell went down he would be #1 so he could break that Yardage milestone.

then Gore gets hurt and TY has that 100 yd game and they go back to Gore. thats insane

i am used to the overreacting Mondays around here but i just thought it would be different this week. i thought they could see the talent like i do. Sause looks like the real deal. JJ got 1/2 a sack in his 1st game. GW looks special. that play were Flacco was in trouble and threw it to the sidelines and GW ran back to get it and turn it into a nice gain was incredible. that kid got some moves. MC1 starting where he finished last year.  

the talent is there. Saleh just has to put it together. its up to the coaches to clean up the mistakes.

• Upvote 1