Kind of amazing how quickly this place turned on Saleh (merged)

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Remember when Robert Saleh inherited this team from Adam Gase, stripped it down, arguably had the worst roster in the NFL, definitely had the worst QB play but yet, double his win total?  Me too.  It was last year.

Remember when Gase came in and fumigated Florham Park of YA BOY Mike Maccagnan, who was the worst GM in the modern history of football and then dumped YA OTHER BOY Jamal Adams? 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Remember when Robert Saleh inherited this team from Adam Gase, stripped it down, arguably had the worst roster in the NFL, definitely had the worst QB play but yet, double his win total?  Me too.  It was last year.

Last year was one of the greatest seasons in Jets' history!

I like Saleh - wanted him during the search and was thrilled when he signed on.

I want him to succeed.

The worst thing that can happen to the Jets is another coach fired after 2 years and here we go again. If Zach is the guy, he needs consistency, not a new coach and new oc.

What I simply do not understand from Saleh is focus on the media and his focus which seems to be I told you so. The team is in the toilet. They have alot of young players who have promise.

We have all said the same thing (ok except a few) just stop with the slogans and other nonsense and just coach and develop. 

The NY media is not your friend. Most of them do not want you to succeed. They know Woody pays attention to what they write and they do have the power and pull to put the type of pressure on him where he says enough is enough and fires the coach.

Someone in the Jets has to be smart enough to tell him this. It can't be that a bunch of knuckleheads on a Jet board see this but the org does not.    

• Upvote 1

I never liked the hire not because of the man, but because of the lack of head coaching experience.

In fact, The entire coaching staff lacks experience ( first time head coach, first time offensive coordinator and first time defensive coordinator) So, it’s obvious that growing pains were expected. 

I haven’t changed my opinion of him for for me, the jury is still out from day 1. 

• Upvote 2

Not sure how relevant this is but we do have a different dynamic now than before.

Woody hired JD. JD hired Saleh. If Saleh gets criticised it's up to JD to fire him - not Woody. I know that Woody can overrule JD ... but right now JD is still in "golden boy" territory with the media / outside world. A lot of praise has come his way on how he has built the team from where it was to where it is now.

If Woody oversteps the mark, JD could easily just walk away - and into another GM job straight away - leaving Woody high and dry. It would also show the world exactly where the problem lies - a meddling owner more interested in media views than results on the field.

8 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Is it a reflection of the times we live in? 

The team ended the year relatively strong. Playing good competitive games. You were in love with LaFleurs play calling and the main question was Wilson- was he holding the offense back? The other question was the Defense, could Saleh actually put together a good D? 

Well, after a universally praised off season it seems like most of this place is ready to fire Saleh after one game. A game were the defense answered the bell and looked fantastic.

The offense was abysmal, but didn’t you all love LeFleur last year? This surely is an aberration right? I mean Wilson was holding this offense back and we only added a ton talent.

Isnt the rational reaction to week 1 to be happy that the defense appears to be legit and assume that the offense will find its way since it proved last year to be competent, or at least coached competently by LeFleur (according to you) 

I think the rational reaction is that a fanbase for the team with the longest streak of not going to the playoffs should be upset when the team they follow plays like moose excrement in the first game of the season. 

• Upvote 4

My thing with Saleh (and I’ve gone back and forth) is the sayings, slogans etc are disjointed with the actual action. Practices by all accounts have been short and not overly intense. This is a young team and both preseasons most starters or players expected to play barely played. Hell he pulled the team off the field last year against Philly because it was raining (maybe could have come in handy on Sunday). We found out via the Giants scrimmage that they don’t do conditioning (all gas no brake?). You can’t tell me the defense got gassed in the second half while we know the team didn’t do conditioning all preseason. Why the disconnect?

I’m of the belief that for a young team looking to switch the culture or whatever that it starts at practice. 1.5 hour practices during the Summer is not going to get the team where it needs to be in September, there are no shortcuts. He also has been saying we’re looking for players who love football and not what football brings to them, and then we have to watch his weekly bleacher run with the cameras on? Come on bro. This is social media LinkedIn fake hustle. You’re not going to fool the older fans with this stuff. 

Getting more granular the Jets had some fire in the first half as they should have during a home opener on 9-11. But the second half was dead. No intensity and whatever dead cat bounce they got the 9 lives expired in the second half. Blame Flacco, but there’s a guy behind him who showed you something last year who the team responded to. If the QB is a Saleh decision then play White. If it’s above Saleh and Wilson is pulling some string with ownership that it’s all a waste of time anyways. Simply put- win some games please.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I turned on Saleh mid last year.   Nice guy isn’t enough to qualify you as an NFL HC.   Sort of like taking Darnold at 3 because he’s a good kid.  

While his melt down yesterday was amusing it showed an embarrassing lack of intelligence.   The Jets fan base has stuck with this team for decades through thin and thinner.  All we want is competitive football that ultimately leads to winning football. 

Stop blaming the fans get your ass into the office and figure out how to beat Cleveland.

The NY Jets aren’t the Navy seals.  Their next mission isn’t to take out a terrorist cell in Karachi.   Its to win a football game against the Cleveland Browns.   Their starting QB is out.  It shouldn’t be over your head to figure it out.  

FYI The NY Giants, a team as moribund as the Jets, lead by a guy who eats football 24/7 went into TN on Sunday and figured out a way to beat a well coached really good football team.   He doesn’t run stairs, he’s not focused on the next Seal team mission he’s a football HC.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I turned on Saleh mid last year.   Nice guy isn’t enough to qualify you as an NFL HC.   Sort of like taking Darnold at 3 because he’s a good kid.  

While his melt down yesterday was amusing it showed an embarrassing lack of intelligence.   The Jets fan base has stuck with this team for decades through thin and thinner.  All we want is competitive football that ultimately leads to winning football. 

Stop blaming the fans get your ass into the office and figure out how to beat Cleveland.

The NY Jets aren’t the Navy seals.  Their next mission isn’t to take out a terrorist cell in Karachi.   Is to win a football game against the Cleveland Browns.   Their starting QB is out.  It shouldn’t be over your head to figure it out.  

FYI The NY Giants, a team as moribund as the Jets, lead by a guy who eats football 24/7 went into TN on Sunday and figured out a way to beat a well coached really good football team.   He doesn’t run stairs, he’s not focused on the next Seal team mission he’s a football HC.  

Cliches and happytalk bromides are very easy.

Have an offense this Sunday that has some urgency, gets the ball downfield, and isn't 2 runs followed by a 3rd and 8 incompletion. Right now looks like we have another HC who thinks having a dangerous offense isn't a requirment. Want to win; you need to try to score a TD every possession, not have whole halves where looks like nobody gives a f___ on offense.  Right now looks like Saleh know this team sucks and padded the numbers late in the game when it was over to make things look good. If he isn't pissed off, he needs to find another job. 

And Flacco is cashing checks; get White or Streveler in there already. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

My thing with Saleh (and I’ve gone back and forth) is the sayings, slogans etc are disjointed with the actual action. Practices by all accounts have been short and not overly intense. This is a young team and both preseasons most starters or players expected to play barely played. Hell he pulled the team off the field last year against Philly because it was raining (maybe could have come in handy on Sunday). We found out via the Giants scrimmage that they don’t do conditioning (all gas no brake?). You can’t tell me the defense got gassed in the second half while we know the team didn’t do conditioning all preseason. Why the disconnect?

I’m of the belief that for a young team looking to switch the culture or whatever that it starts at practice. 1.5 hour practices during the Summer is not going to get the team where it needs to be in September, there are no shortcuts. He also has been saying we’re looking for players who love football and not what football brings to them, and then we have to watch his weekly bleacher run with the cameras on? Come on bro. This is social media LinkedIn fake hustle. You’re not going to fool the older fans with this stuff. 

Getting more granular the Jets had some fire in the first half as they should have during a home opener on 9-11. But the second half was dead. No intensity and whatever dead cat bounce they got the 9 lives expired in the second half. Blame Flacco, but there’s a guy behind him who showed you something last year who the team responded to. If the QB is a Saleh decision then play White. If it’s above Saleh and Wilson is pulling some string with ownership that it’s all a waste of time anyways. Simply put- win some games please.

I think we’re looking at a coach who realizes he’s already on the hot seat and needs to show he can win games, so he’s sticking with flacco regardless of how he looked in the preseason, and regardless of whatever his assistant coaches may be saying.  We’ve seen this before with other defensive minded jet HCs like herm, Rex and bowles.  This team does finally have legit young talent, and douglas does seem to get better at drafting (to be fair it’s hard not to improve after the 2020 draft).  But regardless of what anyone says, saleh will not truly be judged as a legit HC candidate until wilson returns b/c nobody in the nfl believes flacco is a legit starter anymore.  And i do think saleh is showing raw emotion in part b/c he was led to believe he’d have wilson back for the opener, and may feel Wilson’s camp left him out to dry.  And if you’re in Wilson’s camp, you’ve got to be chuckling a bit at how inept flacco looked and how rusty the OL looked b/c those 2 things are making him look that much better without him even playing.  For all we know that was part of the plan from Wilson’s camp anyway, the “you think he looked bad in that one game vs the eagles, you think flacco should start, good, see how that works out with that hodgepodge OL….”

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why can’t we be objective? The last thing the defense lacked was intensity. They play a fantastic game, meeting even the highest of realistic expectations. If the defense plays like that every week they will be a top 5 unit easily. They allowed 24 points in a game where we has three turnovers, two in our own territory, and our offense could not convert a 3rd down.

The offense sucked, no one is disagreeing. But again, weren’t you happy with what you saw out of the offense, particular out of the coaching, last year? I thought the only question around the offense was Wilson. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BP said:

Woody tweeted that the Jets front 7 were dominant on Sunday!! Positive man!! What a football man he is! 

losing and being embarrassed is acceptable, pathetic. They should be brutally honest, the team stunk from the coaches to the players. Just own it and stop being in denial. 

*the offense stunk. The defense was top flight. Why can’t you be objective?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

The whole receipts thing is the beginning of the end. The media have him by the balls, and will use it to hang him.

Again , we're giving way too much relevance to the media. They are sh*t stirrers just like a bunch of posters here with one exception, they get paid to write their drivel. 

Saleh says nothing or tows the company line he gets bashed for being Mr cliche or not caring. He shows some fire and emotion and the media and fanbase eat it up and go nuts. 

Stop letting the media get into your heads. 

3 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Why can’t we be objective? The last thing the defense lacked was intensity. They play a fantastic game, meeting even the highest of realistic expectations. If the defense plays like that every week they will be a top 5 unit easily. They allowed 24 points in a game where we has three turnovers, two in our own territory, and our offense could not convert a 3rd down.

The offense sucked, no one is disagreeing. But again, weren’t you happy with what you saw out of the offense, particular out of the coaching, last year? I thought the only question around the offense was Wilson. 

The inclusive everyone else isn’t objective and you are is a very lazy debate tactic.  

Let’s be objective.  Teams that win TOP run way more offensive plays than the opposition and aren’t gassed aren’t required to give up TDS on short fields.  

Well coached teams don’t give up huge amounts of field on special teams.  Really good defensive teams aren’t required to blow coverages because of field position.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The inclusive everyone else isn’t objective and you are is a very lazy debate tactic.  

Let’s be objective.  Teams that win TOP run way more offensive plays than the opposition and aren’t gassed aren’t required to give up TDS on short fields.  

Well coached teams don’t give up huge amounts of field on special teams.  Really good defensive teams aren’t required to blow coverages because of field position.

They gave up 1 TD on a short field where the defender had perfect coverage. If you don’t think the defense was outstanding  you are not being objective. 

Well when he stops insulting the fan base for wanting "instant" success, like we havent been waiting for years. 
Well when he stops telling about the magical "flip" that will happen that never does.
Well when hes 4-14 as a HC and outscored by like 200 points. 
Well then the games not over by the end of the 3rd QTR.
Well when he can be semi transparent about injuries. 
I could go on, but the job looks to big for him. 

yeah you’re a real fan

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

35 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think the rational reaction is that a fanbase for the team with the longest streak of not going to the playoffs should be upset when the team they follow plays like moose excrement in the first game of the season. 

Nothing wrong with being upset. We are fans and want nothing else then this team to be good. It's how the fan base and media take it to extremes is where the divides begin. Sound familiar with other aspects of our lives . Stop giving power to the media and the trolling minority. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Saleh is a standup guy and infinitely more likable than Gase. I'm sure that Saleh is an awesome father, husband, and a great friend. I'm just not seeing it as a head coach. He might get there someday, or never at all, but I don't see it right now. In his defense, I'm not sure that many head coaches would squeeze more water out of the rock that he was handed. Saleh is over his head right now with an incomplete team. I don't want to discuss the dump truck of excuses of why the game one starter is a 90-year-old statue who is 2-12 over a four-year span, and 0-6 in a three-year span behind an unsteady OL. 

The bottom line is that Saleh was set up to fail by this miserable ownership. If Saleh is the guy, he will be able to overcome the stench of the Johnson. Bottom line is that I really don't know what to feel about Saleh and his future with the Jets. 

I agree with you 100% that he wasn't given a lot to work with initially. But Imo the Jets are finally doing this the right way and building from the ground up and that was/is the plan.

Maybe I'm naive but how is this the owners fault. They spend money, they brought in a qualified GM in Joe D who in turn hired a raw but coveted HC candidate in Saleh. What more does everyone want from a owner , for him to be like Jerry Jones and making personnel moves. I just never understood this line of thinking , its not like an owner can just buy a Super Bowl - see  Daniel Snyder in that regard. 

58 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I get it a lot of us lived through the 60's/70's 80's football where players practiced endlessly and gave their body and souls for the team.  The NFLPA and the labor contracts changed this sport forever . Now its all about brand, perception and the players earning potential . Teams are hardly even allowed to have padded practices anymore.

55 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Cliches and happytalk bromides are very easy.

Have an offense this Sunday that has some urgency, gets the ball downfield, and isn't 2 runs followed by a 3rd and 8 incompletion. Right now looks like we have another HC who thinks having a dangerous offense isn't a requirment. Want to win; you need to try to score a TD every possession, not have whole halves where looks like nobody gives a f___ on offense.  Right now looks like Saleh know this team sucks and padded the numbers late in the game when it was over to make things look good. If he isn't pissed off, he needs to find another job. 

And Flacco is cashing checks; get White or Streveler in there already. 

They threw the ball 59 times Sunday. Damn I must have been asleep at the game because based on your statement that would mean 59 possessions. The key issue was 2-14 on 3rd downs , you'll almost never win with a stat like that. We all know Flacco isn't the answer but the hope was he could manage a win or two before Wilson came back , he unfortunately he looked like a 37 year old rookie on Sunday aided and abetted by a OLine that was under siege by the Ravens  D who were basically challenging Flacco to throw. 

After so many years of inept coaching and general managing....this is the result.

I have turned on Saleh quickly. I was a huge fan when he hired him and thought he had the mental makeup, personality, and thought process to be a really good head coach.

Last season I thought we finished with some optimism and given the lack of talent I didn't truly hold anything against him...however....I also didn't really see anything that made me think okay he's DEFINITELY going to be a good one. So the jury was still out.

Enter Week 1....and wow....I mean losing is one thing and I assumed we'd lose given our offensive injuries...but we looked unprepared, lazy, and bored....ya know that same old jets look where the players are running out the clock to get to the locker room.

Look if they finish strong and team looks good, awesome! I'll be happy to sign coach's receipt. It's not like any of us WANT the team to fail but the results ... are ... the ... results...

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I get it a lot of us lived through the 60's/70's 80's football where players practiced endlessly and gave their body and souls for the team.  The NFLPA and the labor contracts changed this sport forever . Now its all about brand, perception and the players earning potential . Teams are hardly even allowed to have padded practices anymore.

Obviously within the rules and in season practices will not match preseason/camp. But the Jets approach here is still way less intense than other teams and it seems to reflect in September performance where they are now 0-4 under Saleh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I think we’re looking at a coach who realizes he’s already on the hot seat and needs to show he can win games, so he’s sticking with flacco regardless of how he looked in the preseason, and regardless of whatever his assistant coaches may be saying.  We’ve seen this before with other defensive minded jet HCs like herm, Rex and bowles.  This team does finally have legit young talent, and douglas does seem to get better at drafting (to be fair it’s hard not to improve after the 2020 draft).  But regardless of what anyone says, saleh will not truly be judged as a legit HC candidate until wilson returns b/c nobody in the nfl believes flacco is a legit starter anymore.  And i do think saleh is showing raw emotion in part b/c he was led to believe he’d have wilson back for the opener, and may feel Wilson’s camp left him out to dry.  And if you’re in Wilson’s camp, you’ve got to be chuckling a bit at how inept flacco looked and how rusty the OL looked b/c those 2 things are making him look that much better without him even playing.  For all we know that was part of the plan from Wilson’s camp anyway, the “you think he looked bad in that one game vs the eagles, you think flacco should start, good, see how that works out with that hodgepodge OL….”

My thoughts are they believed Flacco with his vet experience could manage the jumbled Oline better and be more prepared to make adjustments to formations and calls. They entrusted him to stabilize the offense and give them a chance to a win a game or two before Zach was cleared to play. As we witnessed Sunday , it doesn't look like he's capable of that anymore.  I'd possibly give him till halftime on Sunday at Cle to show me some fire leadership and smarts or its MIke White time.  This team will sink or swim with Zach Wilson at the helm , hopefully the kid is ready when his number is called.  

If Saleh fails, you can go back to him letting Becton and Mims sleepwalk through his first year without curb-stomping either of them as the canary in the coalmine. Other players see it happen and it hurts the locker room. The longer Saleh is here, the more you’ll see younger players whither on the vine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So tell me how to coach a kicker not to miss a FG or a punter not to shank a punt. It happens to all of them at times even the HOF type kickers. Its not like the special teams allowed 50 yard returns , missed blocks, tackles etc.. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Obviously within the rules and in season practices will not match preseason/camp. But the Jets approach here is still way less intense than other teams and it seems to reflect in September performance where they are now 0-4 under Saleh.

Your just taking a huge leap of faith there. The CBA dictates how intense practices can be not just for Jets but for all teams . From clips I saw a lot of teams looked rusty this weekend.  I guess the coaches in Indy, Ten, NE, Den , Cin, Rams , LV should all be on the hot seat now right ?