Kind of amazing how quickly this place turned on Saleh (merged)

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

In case you missed it the Kicker was drafted by this GM and the Saleh who had a very reliable kicker threw him to the curb for Zuerlein who the Cowboys cut for sucking last year.

How many FG's did Peneiro miss for us last year.  Rhetorical the answer is none.  He was 1 for 1 with Carolina last week who picked him up. 

Unless you have an elite kicker , there are few out there , you end up with one of the retreads . If Pinerio won the job , his first bad game everyone would be stating they had Zeurlein why did they let him go for that scrub. 

Just now, Biggs said:

The Jets D were not on the field a long time.  The Ravens weren't driving the ball with any consistency.  They didn't run a lot of plays to score.  They made big plays on a couple of drives after making adjustments at halftime.  The Jets special teams gave them a short field and the hit quickly.    

The Jets O did nothing but this wasn't the typical case where the D was left on the field for a long time.   They Ravens weren't having long drives coupled with the Jets giving the ball up quick.  They both weren't moving the ball.  They got the big plays on our D and we abandoned the run way to soon.  

Sounds like those terrible years of Hackett as OC.

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Unless you have an elite kicker , there are few out there , you end up with one of the retreads . If Pinerio won the job , his first bad game everyone would be stating they had Zeurlein why did they let him go for that scrub. 

Yeah but Zeurlein has been goddam awful for the last several years.  His Greg-the-Leg heydays are way behind him.  He was a catastrophe kicking for Dallas.  Terrible hire.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

A microcosm of society - your either a truther of hater , you support the coach or hate the coach . Why does everything need to be split in battle lines . 

Exactly!  I think he's a fraud but if the Jets turn it around and play good football and win 6 or 7 games because they look like a desciplined football team and Zach makes a huge difference in the O, I'm all in on keeping him.  

You only get rid of him and start over if he proves he sucks.   He did a good job of it last year and this offseason.  It's not enough time for me to be convinced that he can't become mediocre by the end of the year.   If he doesn't get a lot better it would suck to have to replace him but I would rather do that than can Douglas at this point.  Douglas has shown basic competence.  He has not shown the suck factor that Saleh has to this point.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Bring back "Matty Ice" (Ammendola)

11 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Is it a reflection of the times we live in? 

The team ended the year relatively strong. Playing good competitive games. You were in love with LaFleurs play calling and the main question was Wilson- was he holding the offense back? The other question was the Defense, could Saleh actually put together a good D? 

Well, after a universally praised off season it seems like most of this place is ready to fire Saleh after one game. A game were the defense answered the bell and looked fantastic.

The offense was abysmal, but didn’t you all love LeFleur last year? This surely is an aberration right? I mean Wilson was holding this offense back and we only added a ton talent.

Isnt the rational reaction to week 1 to be happy that the defense appears to be legit and assume that the offense will find its way since it proved last year to be competent, or at least coached competently by LeFleur (according to you) 

Well, you have 7 thumbs down votes because....well, you know, those guys were the ones who KNEW all along that Saleh was a bad hire, Lafleur was a bad hire, JD was a bad hire, Becton was absolutely going to blow his knee out twice, Zach was going to bust.  It truly amazes me how some of these guys aren't GM's yet in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Agreed.  But over the past several weeks, I've lost any confidence I might have had in Saleh.  In fact, all of his LYING and his not-so-veiled threats against the loyal fans (for whom Saleh has ZERO respect) have dissolved any fondness or confidence I might have had in him, which wasn't that much.

If he was winning no one would care - look at the douche up in NE . Giants fans all love Daboll today , if he doesn't continue to win that will change quickly. All coaches use "coachspeak" its mentally healthy for us to not hang on every single soundbite.

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Everyone?  There are a lot of people on this board who wondered why we brought Zeurlein in.  When Penerio was cut there were people on this board who thought they made a mistake.  There was a thread on it. 

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah but Zeurlein has been goddam awful for the last several years.  His Greg-the-Leg heydays are way behind him.  He was a catastrophe kicking for Dallas.  Terrible hire.  

Its not like Pinerio has been lights out in his career . Ask yourself, if he was so good why was he available. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Everyone?  There are a lot of people on this board who wondered why we brought Zeurlein in.  When Penerio was cut there were people on this board who thought they made a mistake.  There was a thread on it. 

Yeah like I said until he missed a kick or had a bad game and then it would follow with why did they cut Zeurlein. 

During the fat rex era our team was relevant-you could wear a jet hat out in public with pride instead of being laughed at.

I had some great times at the stadium during the rex era as well-give the jet fans a team that can compete and the place is LOUD as Jet fans are loyal and passionate-we even tasted the playoffs and that was something pretty terrific. 

Revis island was a thing and nobody wanted to play the Jets Defense.

Sadly we have a guy that is not just terrible, he cant motivate his team either

the worst of the rex era was a million times better than it is now.   We are told this team has talent well it sure does not translate on the field-yes so far this season is just one game but I am pretty confident by week 6 we will be lucky to get 2 wins and more than likely will be 0-6.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

41 minutes ago, the Claw said:

It’s the usual suspects, man. Go back and read through the game thread. It’s like being inside the head of a lunatic. But that’s what our modern version of media does to us. There are guys on this site that really like Benigno, or the other scrub beat writers and listen to their podcasts and radio shows. They get their opinions blasted back at them through a prism of outrage and dramatics and they feel it necessary to reflect that or 1-up it. There’s tons of psychology as to why this happens. Sometimes guys think that being the loudest critic means you care the most. Humans are weird. All in all, though, it’s social media, it’s all about the “likes.” You’ve come to wrong place for objectivity. 

This board existed well before Twitter, Facebook, etc and we were actually much more demonstrably outspoken then. If anything, social media has tempered the outrage expressed toward this sh*t-ass team because people are afraid of getting ratio’d into oblivion.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Is it a reflection of the times we live in? 

The team ended the year relatively strong. Playing good competitive games. You were in love with LaFleurs play calling and the main question was Wilson- was he holding the offense back? The other question was the Defense, could Saleh actually put together a good D? 

Well, after a universally praised off season it seems like most of this place is ready to fire Saleh after one game. A game were the defense answered the bell and looked fantastic.

The offense was abysmal, but didn’t you all love LeFleur last year? This surely is an aberration right? I mean Wilson was holding this offense back and we only added a ton talent.

Isnt the rational reaction to week 1 to be happy that the defense appears to be legit and assume that the offense will find its way since it proved last year to be competent, or at least coached competently by LeFleur (according to you) 

I'm not surprised.

First, the team sucks and has for years, so even the most level headed, reasonable fan of the team is angry and frustrated.

Also, what you find in life and especially life on the internet, is that the people with the loudest voice are always the people who complain the most. 

JN is no different.

The loudest voices here are the people that bitch the most. So you've got an internet echo chamber of anger and frustration and it breeds further anger and frustration.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

“More of the same” is interesting to me. It thought you were happy with lefleur last year?

Me? Shrug... 

I liked a few of the play calls. But our offense was pretty bad for most of the year. That being said, I put that on the personnel more than on the OC (and not blaming JD after the burned the barn to the ground, the approach was scorched earth, and I think we'll see some dividends later this year and for seasons to come).

I think we often overstate the importance of coaching. Yes, coming up with a good scheme is important, and calling the right plays at the right time can have a big impact, but the overall performance on the field is with the players. Davis dropped his first pass, which (IIRC) would have converted a 3rd down, but then caught his next 6, for a decent day... Conklin and Hall fumbled the ball, which is out of character for them. Tomlinson had his worst game at G in 3 years, in a system he's excelled in...

You can have the best coaches in the world, but you need your players to play.

But, going to the initial topic, I mentioned "More of the same" because this team has been losing for so long that even losing a single game now completely drains all optimism out of the fan base (even the beat writers are getting upset now :D). It doesn't matter how improved this team is compared to the three last years, or how exciting the rookie class this year will end up being, lose a game by double digits and it's always "more of the same".

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

During the fat rex era our team was relevant-you could wear a jet hat out in public with pride instead of being laughed at.

I had some great times at the stadium during the rex era as well-give the jet fans a team that can compete and the place is LOUD as Jet fans are loyal and passionate-we even tasted the playoffs and that was something pretty terrific. 

Revis island was a thing and nobody wanted to play the Jets Defense.

Sadly we have a guy that is not just terrible, he cant motivate his team either

the worst of the rex era was a million times better than it is now.   We are told this team has talent well it sure does not translate on the field-yes so far this season is just one game but I am pretty confident by week 6 we will be lucky to get 2 wins and more than likely will be 0-6.

Don't worry.  Our fearless leader is keeping receipts 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think part of this is just how untalented the team actually was.  Usually when you get a new coach you get a bump.  A good start, a new life to some players that were miscast or misused.  With Gase that amounted to 7-9.  With Saleh, we have to wonder if he is just a sh*tty coach or if the team just had no talent.  Possibly both.  He doesn't have any great track record to rely on.  The only good thing to hang my hat on is that the D at least looks better and physical.  There is hope, but really not much.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm not surprised.

First, the team sucks and has for years, so even the most level headed, reasonable fan of the team is angry and frustrated.

Also, what you find in life and especially life on the internet, is that the people with the loudest voice are always the people who complain the most. 

JN is no different.

The loudest voices here are the people that bitch the most. So you've got an internet echo chamber of anger and frustration and it breeds further anger and frustration.

You have a very loud voice on a Jets football board.  Your loud voice is an attack on Jets fans who are having a conversation about the NY Jets football team.  

It seems like the people who talk the least about the Jets on a Jets football site want to be the loudest voices to spew attacks on people that have a different POV on Jets football than you do.   

You seem very angry and frustrated.  It's Jets football.  Talk about Jets football.  

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Not to argue this too much, but it’s not “loud” when the product on the field justifies the negativity, it’s just that the negativity has evidence, and evidence is extremely loud. I would imagine anyone trying to be positive about Saleh, Zach, etc feels suppressed because their arguments rely a lot on things that are as-yet unseen, so when you try to make the positive argument, there’s nothing tangible you can point to to drive your point home. You’re in a gunfight with zero ammunition. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Not to argue this too much, but it’s not “loud” when the product on the field justifies the negativity, it’s just that the negativity has evidence, and evidence is extremely loud. I would imagine anyone trying to be positive about Saleh, Zach, etc feels suppressed because their arguments rely a lot on things that are as-yet unseen, so when you try to make the positive argument, there’s nothing tangible you can point to to drive your point home. You’re in a gunfight with zero ammunition. 

Meanwhile… the HatRz

armed machine gun GIF

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I personally believe unless things go haywire fast, coaches should get at least three years. This ready to fire quick attitude though is built from an overall lack of trust in ownership through the teams last decade. It’s built up frustration with the past being taken out on the present.

Don't disagree here.

You get nowhere by having a revolving door of leadership.  In any aspect of life.  Need time to build a foundation, a culture, get a feel for what you need to do, where you've been, where you're going and how you are going to get there.

Problem is: NY Jets fans no longer have time.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

Don't disagree here.

You get nowhere by having a revolving door of leadership.  In any aspect of life.  Need time to build a foundation, a culture, get a feel for what you need to do, where you've been, where you're going and how you are going to get there.

Problem is: NY Jets fans no longer have time.

Let's at least give Saleh the season before we consider moving on from him.  But after the "receipts" comment, the honeymoon phase is over.  The talent has been upgraded.  Now show us something.  

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think part of this is just how untalented the team actually was.  Usually when you get a new coach you get a bump.  A good start, a new life to some players that were miscast or misused.  With Gase that amounted to 7-9.  With Saleh, we have to wonder if he is just a sh*tty coach or if the team just had no talent.  Possibly both.  He doesn't have any great track record to rely on.  The only good thing to hang my hat on is that the D at least looks better and physical.  There is hope, but really not much.

They had so much turnover in D personnel last year. They could have played low cost FA vets , they chose to play the young kids, which hopefully pays dividends this season. Its kind of how I felt with Zach starting from the outset last year . 

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Let's at least give Saleh the season before we consider moving on from him.  But after the "receipts" comment, the honeymoon phase is over.  The talent has been upgraded.  Now show us something.  

He gets the FULL year this year, no questions asked.

The receipts comment show how naive and tone deaf this guy actually is.  This ain't Michigan buddy, shut your mouth and win some games or else you are going to get eaten alive.  Dude has proven to be very naive.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This board existed well before Twitter, Facebook, etc and we were actually much more demonstrably outspoken then. If anything, social media has tempered the outrage expressed toward this sh*t-ass team because people are afraid of getting ratio’d into oblivion.

Herm years were much more critical 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Our special teams coach Boyer’s son is the starting QB for my local HS and he also handles placekicking and punting duties.I was at the game this past Saturday and he kicked 3 FG’s, including a 48 yarder, which is pretty impressive for a HS kid.Also made his only PAT. After the 48 yarder, I said to the person I was sitting next to that “his son is better than the guy who kicks for his dad.” He laughed and said you may be right. True story. ?Only in Jet Land.