JETS forfeit Week 2: Flacco to start against Browns

Vudu

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

oh......you mean rare in ONE season? hahahahaha well of course QB's are not doing it multiple times a season unless they have a pretty good system and wr's. That still doesnt mean its rare...

Rare is Mike White doing it again anytime in the next 5 years.

Joe Flacco winning a game with the Jets isn't even rare. It has never happened.

But yes, best chance to win.

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

oh......you mean rare in ONE season? hahahahaha well of course QB's are not doing it multiple times a season unless they have a pretty good system and wr's. That still doesnt mean its rare...

Rare is Mike White doing it again anytime in the next 5 years.

Well, he's certainly not going to do it again for the Jets after 5 years.

846971050_ArchManning2.JPG.36426caa2648fc1fbc6f37eb92b03f2f.JPG

• Haha 1

Just now, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Joe Flacco winning a game with the Jets isn't even rare. It has never happened.

But yes, best chance to win.

Mike White has been in the league how many years before he won a game?

Prior to Cincinnati that would fall under the definition of a "yet" you can apply the same princilpe to Flacco. I'm not sayign he is going to win a game, I am saying he sucks less than the other options. 

Just now, jetspenguin said:

Mike White has been in the league how many years before he won a game?

Prior to Cincinnati that would fall under the definition of a "yet" you can apply the same princilpe to Flacco. I'm not sayign he is going to win a game, I am saying he sucks less than the other options. 

What Mike White and Flacco did before the Jets is irrelevant. 

Only 1 of them has won a game with them. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

What Mike White and Flacco did before the Jets is irrelevant. 

Only 1 of them has won a game with them. 

Hahahaha you said they did before is irrelevant PRIOR to the Jets?

How about last years isolated incident that he never before and never will again repeat is irrelevant? 

The team is a completely different squad now so the performance you reference is even less likely to occure than it did the one time he ever wone a game int he nfl in his entire life. 

Talk about bad odds. 

9 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Flacco sucks. There is no debate there

What else is not in question is that soes does every other non starting qb on the roster except they have even less experience. 

Yep... Time to get them some experience.  It is pointless to start Flacco.  It serves no purpose at all towards the development of this team.  In fact, it stalls it.  Saleh is desperate not to start 0-2 again.  It's all about him, with respect to this pathetic decision for Sunday.

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Hahahaha you said they did before is irrelevant PRIOR to the Jets?

How about last years isolated incident that he never before and never will again repeat is irrelevant? 

The team is a completely different squad now so the performance you reference is even less likely to occure than it did the one time he ever wone a game int he nfl in his entire life. 

Talk about bad odds. 

And yet, Flacoo continues to lose every game he starts with us. Even week 1. Soon to be week 2.

What are the odds on that? 

Its almost like if you keep starting him we will keep losing and we have a mountain of evidence to back that up. 

How about trying something else, when we already know what will happen with Flacco under center?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DLJ said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/14/report-joe-flacco-will-start-for-jets-this-week/

After the Jets lost 24-9 to the Ravens in their season opener, Jets head coach Robert Saleh was asked about fans at MetLife Stadium chanting for Mike White to replace Joe Flacco as the team’s quarterback.

Saleh said that Flacco would “more than likely” remain the team’s starter against the Browns in Week Two, but added that “everything’s always under discussion and under review.” The last few days have not changed his mind about going with Flacco.

Rich Cimini of ESPN reports that the Jets will stick with the veteran as they continue to wait for Zach Wilson to be cleared to return from his knee injury.

Flacco was 37-of-59 for 307 yards, a touchdown and an interception in the loss.

Its one thing to lose in a game or make some bad plays but to give up the game befroe the clock starts by playing terrible qb when you have a good one available is stupid.

It's easy to predict Flacco will be terrible and the Jets will get blown out.  Some of you guys are really going out on a limb there.

Maybe the O-line will take accountability for their piss-poor play and step it up.  Maybe Flacco holds true to his realization he should've been checking down more.  Maybe after watching the film, the coaches will learn a thing or two and change up the game plan.  Garrett and Elijah have to touch the ball a LOT more.  Their potential for YAC is tremendous.

Will the the players play to their best potential, and the coaches make impactful adjustments?  Stay tuned.  I'm taking the Jets for the win.  I gotta get one right sooner or later.  

Ravens had clear advantages at both QB and HC. This week? I’d call it a tie. I think I might be even more disappointed in our TEs than any other position. Show us that it was money well spent this week. I was far from impressed with Conklin after hearing about him nonstop. As I said in another post, Elijah Moore was a better run blocker than him last game. 

Moore, Wilson, and Carter were the only guys with any energy on that side. I think Wilson is going to be the guy to create a spark from what I’ve seen so far. More quick passes to the WRs and less to the RBs. 

This is a funny thread…..

so old man flacco, who has never won a game for us in like a dozen attempts, is automatically better than a youngster that has won one game for us in limited starts and is now in the hof. Got it.

im no mike white fan but for gods sake id go with him over the washed up vet that clearly stinks any day of the week

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

It's easy to predict Flacco will be terrible and the Jets will get blown out.  Some of you guys are really going out on a limb there.

Maybe the O-line will take accountability for their piss-poor play and step it up.  Maybe Flacco holds true to his realization he should've been checking down more.  Maybe after watching the film, the coaches will learn a thing or two and change up the game plan.  Garrett and Elijah have to touch the ball a LOT more.  Their potential for YAC is tremendous.

Will the the players play to their best potential, and the coaches make impactful adjustments?  Stay tuned.  I'm taking the Jets for the win.  I gotta get one right sooner or later.  

Agreed.  It's human nature to have recency bias.  Week 2 is going to be very interesting.  

8 hours ago, Alka said:

Jets will win this Sunday, as I have posted.  I understand that I'm in the minority, but I feel that the offensive line and Flacco will look better than they did last weekend.  I'm predicting a 20-17 win.  Defense will continue to look like the real deal.

One side of the ball will play pretty well.  The other side will suck.  Special teams are lousy.  The always mind-numbing block in the back so they start at the 10 yard line.

The Jets will make an array of mistakes including but not limited to; drive-killing or drive-extending penalties, drops, fumbles, blown coverages, etc.  Saleh will screw up a timeout or challenge flag and make a bad decision on 4th down. 

Jets lose again.

Same story over and over and over…

15 minutes ago, August said:

Why does it matter if he starts? Like I said in the game thread, if Mike White played like Flacco throw for throw the narrative would be different. 

Here is where it matters.

White has won a game.

Flacco is like 0-8 or so for the jets

White is younger and more apt to be around as a back up longer term.  One is totally at the end of the line.

Neither QB is good, there is at least a little upside with one and absolutely zero upside with the other.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Here is where it matters.

White has won a game.

Flacco is like 0-8 or so for the jets

White is younger and more apt to be around as a back up longer term.  One is totally at the end of the line.

Neither QB is good, there is at least a little upside with one and absolutely zero upside with the other.

It doesn’t matter who starts neither Mike White or Flacco are the answer for different reasons. So that’s why I’m not losing sleep over Mike White not playing. The long term goal is for Zach to be the guy. Now if Flacco was playing in front of a healthy Zach then I can understand. 

29 minutes ago, August said:

It doesn’t matter who starts neither Mike White or Flacco are the answer for different reasons. So that’s why I’m not losing sleep over Mike White not playing. The long term goal is for Zach to be the guy. Now if Flacco was playing in front of a healthy Zach then I can understand. 

You did not address my comments.  There is a slight bit more benefit to start white  There is zero benefit to start flacco.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

One side of the ball will play pretty well.  The other side will suck.  Special teams are lousy.  The always mind-numbing block in the back so they start at the 10 yard line.

The Jets will make an array of mistakes including but not limited to; drive-killing or drive-extending penalties, drops, fumbles, blown coverages, etc.  Saleh will screw up a timeout or challenge flag and make a bad decision on 4th down. 

Jets lose again.

Same story over and over and over…

What I don't understand with guys like you, is why - as a Jets fan - you feel the need to publish these types of assumptions?  Why can't you at least end your post with "but I hope I'm wrong".  Do you feel the need to be right, so you take the easy and most predicted outcome, in spite of your proclaimed loyalty? 

Special teams are lousy?  Perhaps.  Or maybe they just had a bad day.  I wonder what you're gonna say when Berrios runs one back.  You don't think it's possible the players may now be more focused on securing passes and holding onto the ball?  If you think the Jets suck, imagine what they think about fans like you.

13 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Same deal as every year where Jet fans clamor for the backup... if that guy was actually better than the starter, they'd be starting

Instances when the backup WAS better than the starter at that point in time:

Pat Ryan 

Vinny over Foley

Lucas over MIRER?

Pennington over Testaverde

Fitzpatrick over Geno Smith

some say White over Wilson 2001

History has shown the backup was better than the starter on several occasions for this franchise  ?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You did not address my comments.  There is a slight bit more benefit to start white  There is zero benefit to start flacco.

And I’m saying it doesn’t matter that's my point. Mike White’s supposed “upside” is meaningless. He does not have a future here, in any capacity. Flacco starting is not taking anything away from Mike White. Neither are the solution or the answer. So if they want to trot out Flacco I’m perfectly fine with it. If they start Mike White next week then I’m fine with that too. But in the long run either guy starting will mean anything. Just like Bryce Petty starting games all those years ago because of “upside”. 

29 yr old Jacoby Brissett put up 147 yards on 18 of 34 passing. Nothing to get too skered over. The real threat will come from Nick Chubb (141 on 22 carries) and Kareem Hunt (46 rushing, 24 receiving, 2 TDs).

Saleha's new-found Run-D should contain/limit the damage from Chubb/Hunt. Keep the game honese.

The next danger is Myles Garrett, 2 sacks against Mayfield Sunday. I don't know how good or bad Carolina's line is, but can't be any worse than our. Flacco may see his last pass this game, compliments of Garrett. Which will only get Streveler one slot closer....

The floor for Flacco is what we saw against the Ravens.  The floor for Mike White is probably a 3 interception game.  

White might have a higher ceiling but the variability, is what most coaches are scared of when in a bad spot.  

Flacco avoided back breaking and terrible mistakes despite man coverage and heavy pressure.  However, he also did nothing great to overcome the situation. 

Neither option is great or they would be starting somewhere.  

I personally would prefer Josh Johnson over either of them (or Streveler who was a backup QB in Canada - look it up - despite starting due to injury and winning the cup.  His passing was stats were never great against CFL competition, even though he lit up unrosterable players in the pre-season)

7 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Even if this is true -- which you don't know; you think you do, but you don't -- at least it's more fun than watching 80-year old Joe Flacco get driven into the turf.

You THINK it will be more fun. You think you do but you dont. 

It wont be fun watching Mike White struggle to throw a 10 yard out, playing check down charlie and under utilizing all these new weapons because he is too limited as a qb and NOW that there is game tape on him other teams can and will game plan for him. There will be no more surprising teams in his future. 

I'm willing to put money on it, I dont see anyone so willing to defend him put their money where their mouth is. 

7 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

And yet, Flacoo continues to lose every game he starts with us. Even week 1. Soon to be week 2.

What are the odds on that? 

Its almost like if you keep starting him we will keep losing and we have a mountain of evidence to back that up. 

How about trying something else, when we already know what will happen with Flacco under center?

I dont even disagree completely with this post...up until you mention there will be a different outcome with one of the other bums we have on the team. 

It will be the same loss but done differently. We have seen this "just put in the other guy and make it interesting" song and dance before. The outcome is still a loss except the backup to the backup isnt good enough to at least help the rest of the team along the way. 

Flacco is a washed up, old has been.

White is a never will be that had one good game in his career and will never have another one for another team for the rest of his career and I believe it enough to put my money where my mouth is. Are you willing to do the same or do you not believe your own point enough to do any more than post about it?

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

For example?

Heard all off-season about how great this line is on paper. Yet it looked absolutely dogsh*t im training camp, preseason and in week one.

I like Moore and AVT as prospects but some talk of them as if they’re the finished article when they’re pretty far from that. Wilson showed something but maybe there’s a reason he isn’t playing over Davis and Berrios.

I also think people may have got carried away with the Tight End praise just because of what came before. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Stay tuned.  I'm taking the Jets for the win.  I gotta get one right sooner or later.  

I’ll do you one better.

I’ll bet you end up getting about 4 right this season. You’re better at this than you think!

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

NO BALLS ALL BREAKS Terrible choice. This is why we suck

This team continues to disgust me .

You NAIL IT.

This is very upsetting.  Saleh promised to be different, a risk taker, who would always defer to potential young talent over vets who had seen better days and who now were obviously on their way out of the league.  Flacco not only fits that description to a tee at this point, there should also be major concern for his well being as he has had neck fusion surgery that is coupled with his serious lack of mobility.

Back to the probability of the Jets winning with him as starting QB.  As the old saying goes "Slim and None, and Slim just left town", the man is 0-10 in his last 10 starts.  Not saying it's guaranteed that he will be 0-11, but it's highly probable.

Mike White might not win either but he does have beating a team that was just in the Super Bowl on his resume.  Not going to get into the 400 yards he threw for because a lot of that was YAC, but the performance was still impressive.

There really should be no debate about the starter vs. Cleveland, but Saleh is DEFINITELY feeling the Heat, so he falls back on,"well the guy I started was at one time the Super Bowl MVP, that's why I started him...You CAN'T BLAME me".

This is why, once again, you need a REAL HC on this team, Parcells would just say,"Mike White is starting and that's that"...if he heard peep out of any reporter questioning him he could just put his hand out and show them his rings and walk out of the room.

If Flacco were a stock Saleh would not buy it.  But he's using him because Flacco comes with a built in excuse.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Heard all off-season about how great this line is on paper. Yet it looked absolutely dogsh*t im training camp, preseason and in week one.

I like Moore and AVT as prospects but some talk of them as if they’re the finished article when they’re pretty far from that. Wilson showed something but maybe there’s a reason he isn’t playing over Davis and Berrios.

I also think people may have got carried away with the Tight End praise just because of what came before. 

I think having half the O-line hurt (a constant issue for us, injuries) and having to shift folks around again and again is a meaningful factor in the O-line.

I think Moore is fine, I didn't see anything from him to set off any red flags week 1 as being an "unfinished article".  Same for G.Wilson is him limited playtime in his first game (what were you looking for from him that you didn't see exactly?).

AVT didn't have the greatest game, but see above.

I agree on the TE point.  I said it at the time, but these Conklin and Uzomah dudes never really produced that much more than the Griffith types we already had.  With that said, I'd prefer to see them play with Zach Wilson before I get too judgmental that they're not contributing.

And again, I think there is a meaningful difference for all these parts playing with the worthless Joe Flacco vs. the not-yet-fully-proven-to-be-worthless Zach Wilson.  If they all look like poop with Wilson at QB, aye, that's a huge disappointment and an indictment against JD as a GM and Saleh as a Coach.