Francesa hearing “rumblings” Woody Johnson might sell the team.

T0mShane

Just now, T0mShane said:

Remember when you posted your Spotify “Most Listened To” chart and it was 74% Jason Mraz? 

Who?  My homies in the "what are you listening to right now" thread know my refined and eclectic taste.  

Who's next on your podcast listening list?  Nick Wright or Mina Kimes? 

Johnson may be ignorant regarding all things football but buying the team is likely the smartest thing he has ever done. He was smart enough to spend big when he bought the team and he is smart enough to keep it.

Its a cash cow that makes him tons of cash every year without any real effort or stress regarding risk of capital like most other investments.

I say eventually he dies as the owner.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Why would he do that? Owning a team is the closest thing to legally printing money. Even the worst team in the worst market makes good bank. Revenue sharing covers all the bills and then some.

As for the Saleh comment; great a big mouth who makes money shocking people and a twice fired disgruntled FO guy who twice failed and couldn't build a team with depth and the draft thinks Saleh is doomed - Super Bowl here we come.

It's a good time to have a giant stack of cash to multiply. Cashing out would give them that giant stack.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting stuff because Francesa hobnobs with the extremely monied class. 35 minute mark.

Bonus: Him and Tannenbaum think Saleh is on a doomed path.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mike-francesa-podcast/id1615588712?i=1000579467398

Mr. Shane  I'm in the office today and now I'm at full Mast please next time please give forewarning Gracias lol.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Its Gary Vvvvvv Baybeeeeeee. 

Unfortunately he probably only has enough money to buy the teams practice field. 

He looks positively insufferable, but luckily your second statement is surely true.

At least Woody's a senior citizen so this can go on for only so much longer, and (with the hiring of this or that one to sabotage aid his GM/HC searches, he seems to have finally accepted that others know better). Then again he did leave the team in Fredo's hands for a few years, so there's that.

You want a meddling owner, this smarmy know-it-all comes across like he'd make himself the GM, and maybe the HC, too. 

And before the snarky snap-back, yes that'd be worse ;)

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

That would be a nearly 5 billion dollar profit before taxes and fees and commissions in 12 years 

It's a lot, but maybe yes maybe no. Depends how much of it he's leveraged towards other investments.

The best part about owning something tangible that's worth billions is he doesn't actually have to sell it to access more $ than he can spend. Especially with all these years of lower interest rates it seems unlikely that he's merely cashed out annual team profit & never borrowed against his equity in the team's value. 

Staying as owner he's able to cash in at a few % interest, only in amounts he wants/needs at a given time, while his asset appreciates at a greater rate than that loan rate. He does better that way instead of selling for a giant tax bill off the top. That is, unless the team's value is likely to soon plummet & he missed his opportunity.

Also if he cashes in now then tax has to be paid on that profit twice: once for capital gains and then again later in estate taxes when he croaks. If he just holds onto it until death then his heirs only have to pay the latter. Maybe not even that, if there's another 1-year furlough on the estate tax like in 2010 and his kids use that opportunity to give him the Steinbrenner treatment. Allegedly. Didn't I say allegedly? Allegedly. 

If there are any CFPs among us I'll humbly accept a correction if I have this wrong. On the $ implications, not on the Steinbrenners.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

As a professional kickboxer, I have plenty of time to listen to podcasts while I’m training.

Shane I will buy the team. I have an 800 credit score I will then make you my GM and I will be the Meddling owner. Certainly we can make enough per month to pay off the 5 billion dollar note Ill put like 100 k down as a  good faith measure and we're off to the races. 

• Post of the Week 2