Francesa hearing “rumblings” Woody Johnson might sell the team.

T0mShane

I wrote a post on this site several years ago that there does not seem to be a real successor to this team outside of the two bobsy twin brothers, and that a sale of the team at some point before their demise would be the prudent action for the estate. An "auction" at the time of the demise of the last successor would be less desirable (see the Leon Hess mess).  

That, coupled with the recent deals the NFL has entered into, values of franchises are at an all time.

But, then we are dealing with the Johnsons, so nothing can be thought in a logical sequence. My fandom just had one hail mary completed in the form of Cohen over Wilpons, and my sports luck is just not that great.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

I may be wrong but does the NFL have the legal ability to stop owners from using a franchise as loan collateral or at the very least halt them from over leveraging with high LTV borrowing?

I don’t see why the NFL would do so more than just the lender(s) doing so. 

How would any of the other owners even know about it? Woody had to do a disclosure to be an ambassador, but that’s required by law.

They do limit the amount of debt financed for new owners buying a team, but I couldn’t find anything that says a team owner must sit on his appreciating investment without the ability to borrow against it. TBH I’d be surprised if that existed, as the owners would be cutting their own balls off — particularly in an era where they’re all valued in the billions during an era of low interest, and then even now as rates are climbing back, as likely as not inflation will just increase the dollar-value of each team (even if those dollars are deflated some).

I suppose it’s possible after an embarrassing cash flow situation like Bowlen had in the late 90s (deferring payments to Elway & TD iirc), but NFL franchises were also worth far, far less back then. Woody’s & Dolan’s MM bids for the Jets in excess of $600MM - a couple years after Bowlen’s cash problems - were considered ludicrous overpayments at the time for a team that didn’t even own its own stadium at a time when face-value tickets were as low as $20 for just 10 home games. Earlier in that decade I think the Yankees were still valued at maybe ~$300MM (now allegedly $7BN).

Point being, these franchises have appreciated in value so much over a couple decades of negligible inflation (until very recently), and throw off so much profit that easily covers the teams’ expenses and more, that a repeat of Bowlen issues seems unlikely & thus not a concern. 

I don’t know how quickly Woody wants to get out of the sports franchise ownership business anyway. Just this year didn’t he just put up a $2BN bid for a soccer team - excuse me; “football club” - in England?

Guys looking to cash out of being a sports franchise owner don’t do that. Maybe if he had to sell one to finance the other, but that wasn’t the case when he put in that initial bid this past March. Not sure what’s changed since then that he’d now want to sell the Jets and own neither. 

• Upvote 3

I wrote a post on this site several years ago that there does not seem to be a real successor to this team outside of the two bobsy twin brothers, and that a sale of the team at some point before their demise would be the prudent action for the estate. An "auction" at the time of the demise of the last successor would be less desirable (see the Leon Hess mess).  
That, coupled with the recent deals the NFL has entered into, values of franchises are at an all time.
But, then we are dealing with the Johnsons, so nothing can be thought in a logical sequence. My fandom just had one hail mary completed in the form of Cohen over Wilpons, and my sports luck is just not that great.

Problem is unlike the Wilpons, the Johnsons aren’t cheapskates. But they are really bad at choosing people to run their team. And the Maras and Rooneys and others are involved owners, but they at least know football enough to hire competent people most of the time and cut bait when they make a mistake . And also they’re respected . Johnsons, not at all.
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t know how quickly Woody wants to get out of the sports franchise ownership business anyway. Just this year didn’t he just put up a $2BN bid for a soccer team - excuse me; “football club” - in England?

Guys looking to cash out of being a sports franchise owner don’t do that. Maybe if he had to sell one to finance the other, but that wasn’t the case when he put in that initial bid this past March. Not sure what’s changed since then that he’d now want to sell the Jets and own neither. 

At the end of the day feelings change when prices change.

One or two potential buyers might have spoken to him about what they'd offer and it sounds too good to pass up, who knows.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Problem is unlike the Wilpons, the Johnsons aren’t cheapskates. But they are really bad at choosing people to run their team. And the Maras and Rooneys and others are involved owners, but they at least know football enough to hire competent people most of the time and cut bait when they make a mistake . And also they’re respected . Johnsons, not at all.

In terms of roster and the relative coaching staff, the Johnsons are not cheap.

I believe, and this is through comparison to published infrastructure, that the Johnsons ARE cheap when it comes to supporting the coaches and players. This is in terms of:

-The roster of positions and technology dedicated to supporting football operations

-The roster related to health and well being of the players

-The positions of analytics related to player development and scouting

It is this infrastructure that is needed by any strong football team. It is culture setting. Jets don't have that.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I believe, and this is through comparison to published infrastructure, that the Johnsons ARE cheap when it comes to supporting the coaches and players. This is in terms of:

-The roster of positions and technology dedicated to supporting football operations

It is this infrastructure that is needed by any strong football team. It is culture setting. Jets don't have that.

Plus they fired Chuck Lott the game day announcer in stadium last year. And they fired the flight crew cheerleaders.  CHEAP lol.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

FACT; somehow, no matter who the  Jets' HC is almost always among the lowest paid in the NFL. Bitonti has written epic screeds about this.  

They also jump from one bad idea to another; Tim Tebow, drumlines, the siren, the traffic reporter screaming "1st down!". Smells of lack of confidence. 

They paid cheerleaders almost nothing but those ladies made $ on appearances. Dumping them didn't make a lot of sense. 

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

the broncos estate auction seemed to go pretty well.  and that was a forced sale

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

At the end of the day feelings change when prices change.

One or two potential buyers might have spoken to him about what they'd offer and it sounds too good to pass up, who knows.

how much of the team does he own?  could his brother and mother want a sale?

if you had $2B outside of the Jets, would you sell the team to make another $3B?  i would not.

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

FACT; somehow, no matter who the  Jets' HC is almost always among the lowest paid in the NFL. Bitonti has written epic screeds about this.  

Bitonti has been incorrect on his cash spending comments for years.  perhaps he was correct 10-15 years ago. 

so, not sure if i would trust his comments unless he provided data.  

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is well-said. I found it kind of messed up that when Maccagnan was hired, one of his demands was more money for the scouting staff, and then when Douglas was hired, one of his demands was more money for the scouting staff. Not great!