Francesa hearing “rumblings” Woody Johnson might sell the team.

T0mShane

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I wish this were true because you getting kicked in the head for a living not only explains a lot about you but also would be extremely gratifying to know that when you're (T0mShane) done typing some nonsense on JN, you're getting your head kicked in by karma. 

Deserves a repost. Lol

This post made my day in terms of genuine laugh out loud and disturbed the 2 old crows eating lunch next to my table. Lol Thank you. ?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a lot, but maybe yes maybe no. Depends how much of it he's leveraged towards other investments.

The best part about owning something tangible that's worth billions is he doesn't actually have to sell it to access more $ than he can spend. Especially with all these years of lower interest rates it seems unlikely that he's merely cashed out annual team profit & never borrowed against his equity in the team's value. 

Staying as owner he's able to cash in at a few % interest, only in amounts he wants/needs at a given time, while his asset appreciates at a greater rate than that loan rate. He does better that way instead of selling for a giant tax bill off the top. That is, unless the team's value is likely to soon plummet & he missed his opportunity.

Also if he cashes in now then tax has to be paid on that profit twice: once for capital gains and then again later in estate taxes when he croaks. If he just holds onto it until death then his heirs only have to pay the latter. Maybe not even that if there's another 1-year furlough  on the tax like in 2010 and his kids use that opportunity to give him the Steinbrenner treatment. Allegedly. Didn't I say allegedly? Allegedly. 

If there are any CFPs among us I'll humbly accept a correction if I have this wrong. On the $ implications, not on the Steinbrenners.

I feel bad for anyone that asks you what time it is ?

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You want a meddling owner, this smarmy know-it-all comes across like he'd make himself the GM, and maybe the HC, too. 

And before the snarky snap-back, yes that'd be worse

My man lol. 

There is quite literally nowhere but up. If he wants to JurrahJonez it, have at it. 

Hell, he could probably do it considering that a quarter of this board could have turned the Jets into winners by now. 

28 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Cohen is in for a rude awakening if he thinks buying players is going to win a championship.  All buying does is at most, is make you competitive.  

Who has he really “bought” though, other than Lindor? I thought that signing was unnecessary when they did it because they had a year of control and 5 other SS’s becoming FAs after last season, but I understand he wanted to make a statement to the fans.

Other than that, his other signings (even Scherzer) are short term deals. His stated goal is to bide time with these type of guys until he builds up the farm system, ala the Dodgers.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JTJet said:

My man lol. 

There is quite literally nowhere but up. If he wants to JurrahJonez it, have at it. 

Hell, he could probably do it considering that a quarter of this board could have turned the Jets into winners by now. 

Going back to the Sanchez draft w/ him & his brother and the few things people have posted with him since, he's an attention whore.

Anyway, the goal isn't to get better but still suck -- and worse, now we're locked in to the next dickhead for 40+ years.

I find him even less likable than Woody, who can at least come across as an affable fool. 

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Who has he really “bought” though, other than Lindor? I thought that signing was unnecessary when they did it because they had a year of control and 5 other SS’s becoming FAs after last season, but I understand he wanted to make a statement to the fans.

Other than that, his other signings (even Scherzer) are short term deals. His stated goal is to bide time with these type of guys until he builds up the farm system, ala the Dodgers.

Dodgers have spent big time bucks and this article from the NY Post on 9/1 is a lot of dough...

https://nypost.com/2022/09/01/mets-owner-steve-cohen-hints-at-300-million-spending-limit/

And you're right about Scherzer being a short term deal, but it's still a ton of money and he's starting to show some wear of late.  And how much is he willing to pay DeGrom?  

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Shane I will buy the team. I have an 800 credit score I will then make you my GM and I will be the Meddling owner. Certainly we can make enough per month to pay off the 5 billion dollar note Ill put like 100 k down as a  good faith measure and we're off to the races. 

Based on the words that followed, 800 sounds less like your credit score and more like your SAT score. 

I-Joke-I-Kid-e1550782051641.jpg?fit=300,

• Haha 3