Francesa hearing “rumblings” Woody Johnson might sell the team.

T0mShane

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t know how quickly Woody wants to get out of the sports franchise ownership business anyway. Just this year didn’t he just put up a $2BN bid for a soccer team - excuse me; “football club” - in England?

Guys looking to cash out of being a sports franchise owner don’t do that. Maybe if he had to sell one to finance the other, but that wasn’t the case when he put in that initial bid this past March. Not sure what’s changed since then that he’d now want to sell the Jets and own neither. 

Guys who were "ambassadors" living in England who want to make the jump across the pond semi-permanent do.

9 minutes ago, pointman said:

Guys who were "ambassadors" living in England who want to make the jump across the pond semi-permanent do.

I never looked it up before, but it appears that both capital gains taxes (20%) and especially estate taxes (28%) over there are less than  a billionaire residing in NJ, if I have those #s right. Therefore it'd pay to wait until he's become a citizen and/or permanent resident over there (or however that'd work). The last thing he'd do is first sell the Jets and then make a move.

That's all beside the point that he's still better off just holding onto the team until death. There isn't an amount he'd want/need to borrow that he couldn't access via loans that cost less than his asset appreciates.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

how much of the team does he own?  could his brother and mother want a sale?

if you had $2B outside of the Jets, would you sell the team to make another $3B?  i would not.

Who knows the reasons why (if this even true).

Another poster mentioned something about post-death estate without a clear successor in place being an issue.

Maybe taking the $ and leaving is just easier for J&J and their heart isn’t in this anymore (how much of it ever was).

Woody was always political but maybe his time across the pond made he re-prioritize.

Either way I honestly don’t believe this story. Woody and Chris are such dummies and lame. They do this because it makes them look cool and its a cash cow for doing nothing.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I never looked it up before, but it appears that both capital gains taxes (20%) and especially estate taxes (28%) over there are less than  a billionaire residing in NJ, if I have those #s right. Therefore it'd pay to wait until he's become a citizen and/or permanent resident over there (or however that'd work). The last thing he'd do is first sell the Jets and then make a move.

That's all beside the point that he's still better off just holding onto the team until death. There isn't an amount he'd want/need to borrow that he couldn't access via loans that cost less than his asset appreciates.

He has a room full of cheap suits working to keep his money right. I am sure he is ahead of the curve on that front. At his age, and his financial worth, making his money and washing his hands is a viable consideration. He doesn't need to wait until the team is at its peak. That might be now how he looks at it. He sat on the team and maybe was waiting for it to be a "winner" but that never came. He could be growing tired of this circus. He will make his money back many times over now. No reason to wait. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

FACT; somehow, no matter who the  Jets' HC is almost always among the lowest paid in the NFL. Bitonti has written epic screeds about this.  

They also jump from one bad idea to another; Tim Tebow, drumlines, the siren, the traffic reporter screaming "1st down!". Smells of lack of confidence. 

They paid cheerleaders almost nothing but those ladies made $ on appearances. Dumping them didn't make a lot of sense. 

You really think dumping the cheerleaders was due to money?

really. Come on man. 

46 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Who knows the reasons why (if this even true).

Another poster mentioned something about post-death estate without a clear successor in place being an issue.

Maybe taking the $ and leaving is just easier for J&J and their heart isn’t in this anymore (how much of it ever was).

Woody was always political but maybe his time across the pond made he re-prioritize.

Either way I honestly don’t believe this story. Woody and Chris are such dummies and lame. They do this because it makes them look cool and its a cash cow for doing nothing.

Woody is 75 with a wife in her 50s and two school age sons.

It would be negligent of him not start considering possible sale of the team as part of an estate plan strategy. 

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

Woody is 75 with a wife in her 50s and two school age sons.

It would be negligent of him not start considering possible sale of the team as part of an estate plan strategy. 

Devil you know....but I'd love if Woody and Chrissy sold it to someone who earned their wealth, have the motivation and experience to ensure a winning organization and won't settle for garbage.

11 hours ago, pointman said:

He has a room full of cheap suits working to keep his money right. I am sure he is ahead of the curve on that front. At his age, and his financial worth, making his money and washing his hands is a viable consideration. He doesn't need to wait until the team is at its peak. That might be now how he looks at it. He sat on the team and maybe was waiting for it to be a "winner" but that never came. He could be growing tired of this circus. He will make his money back many times over now. No reason to wait. 

Well I already gave a couple reasons to wait, starting with there’s nothing in it for him to sell.

He can always step down as CEO, retain ownership, and still be better off $-wise. He’s retained his CEO title because he enjoys it. He doesn’t want to wash his hands of it — if only that were so.

Also people tired of “the circus” don’t sign up for another one while still owning this one.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well I already gave a couple reasons to wait, starting with there’s nothing in it for him to sell.

He can always step down as CEO, retain ownership, and still be better off $-wise. He’s retained his CEO title because he enjoys it. He doesn’t want to wash his hands of it — if only that were so.

Also people tired of “the circus” don’t sign up for another one while still owning this one.

This.

Show me a NFL owner that has lost money in recent memory? NFL teams are a license to print money. He isn't going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

This.

Show me a NFL owner that has lost money in recent memory? NFL teams are a license to print money. He isn't going anywhere.

Tired of the circus, lol yeah right. He’s the ringmaster, hiring a fresh new set of clowns every 2-5 years when the audience has seen enough of the last batch.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It’s not going to happen, but I’d imagine Jeff Bezos would absolutely jump at the opportunity to buy the Jets.

Or any NFL team.  You can see he wants into the league.  The whole Amazon Thursday night thing is likely just the beginning.  It might eventually be "The Amazon NFL".

• Upvote 1

What Mike T said about when he was there that anything they wanted or needed it was there for them. Unfortunately something has changed, the game has changed, and what Woody Johnson has been doing over this last decade isn't enough and a change is needed. As a Jets fan maybe they are starting to understand that things are passing them by. I know for me, a guy around Johnson's age, I am far behind my kids and even my 8 years younger wife in everything technologically speaking. Football is a year round operation that only has a week off during the League meetings in Palm Beach. NFL teams need people on the ball 24/7 365 days a year, Woody Johnson has a lot of irons in the fire, he runs Johnson and Johnson has a bunch of horses down in Wellington and Kentucky he's also very much into politics even post Trump. Let's face it for him, the Jets are a hobby. We deserve more and better from our team owner.  

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Amazing that nobody has already come to the conclusion that the rumblings about Woody to sell the team has come from everybody but Woody. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

this is the kind of things Woody Johnson cares most about these days, this is today's tweet. God help us.1567958197_ScreenShot2022-09-16at9_15_51AM.thumb.jpeg.213b739f9e2c453820537c90f1a23433.jpeg

in a strange way this doesn't bother me all that much except for the sense that an NFL owner is preoccupied with uniforms.

I wonder just how much of the day to day Woody is involved with? My guess is very little and has just given JD overall authority since I do not believe we have someone who is in charge of overall football operations.

If that is the case - maybe JD can handle it or maybe they do in fact need someone who simply reports to Woody and everyone underneath reports to him.

If they ever went that route - a Mike Shanahan (I can't stand him but think his experience and knowledge would be a fit) could fill that role while grooming a successor.

Woody gets  to sit back, tweet and collect money.

Woody Johnson is a Jets Fan just like any of us I'm sure he loves this team They have a great facility to practice in and anything they need to succeed. The fact is none of you know anything about Woody and how he handles the team and its obvious he wants to win . Only thing I fault him for was not getting our own stadium and going in with the ******* Giants. Not sure how long that agreement is for ...Maybe 20 years ? I would love to see him pursue a Stadium exclusively for the Jets and that would go a long way to winning over this city and the fans IMO.

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Woody Johnson is a Jets Fan just like any of us I'm sure he loves this team They have a great facility to practice in and anything they need to succeed. The fact is none of you know anything about Woody and how he handles the team and its obvious he wants to win . Only thing I fault him for was not getting our own stadium and going in with the ******* Giants. Not sure how long that agreement is for ...Maybe 20 years ? I would love to see him pursue a Stadium exclusively for the Jets and that would go a long way to winning over this city and the fans IMO.

Even though it would be great to have our own stadium, I think it would be a gigantic waste of money/resources to build a 2nd stadium to play a maximum of 13 games a year (a maximum of 2 preseason, 9 regular season, and 2 postseason).

What's really disappointing is that the Jets and Giants spent $1.6B and built an oversized air conditioner.  Compare that to some of the other new stadiums (e.g. Rams, Raiders)