Jump to content

Wilson at practice warming up


kevinc855
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I was critical of Zach Wilson for putting himself at risk in a meaningless game then, and now I am doubling down. He was an idiot for trying to extend a broken play. You don't pull that nonsense in pre-season. 

Disagree.  He cut into an open field and could have slide or gotten rid of the ball before taking any contact.  I also think he's knee wasn't sound and needed surgery anyway.  This was the same injury he had last year.  It was likely going to happen again without being properly repaired. 

I also think if the Jets were trying to make the playoffs and Zach was ready to run the O and was an NFL QB he would have started game one.  The entire Saleh/Zach press confrences were off platform.   This is another development year for Zach.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Disagree.  He cut into an open field and could have slide or gotten rid of the ball before taking any contact.  I also think he's knee wasn't sound and needed surgery anyway.  This was the same injury he had last year.  It was likely going to happen again without being properly repaired. 

I also think if the Jets were trying to make the playoffs and Zach was ready to run the O and was an NFL QB he would have started game one.  The entire Saleh/Zach press confrences were off platform.   This is another development year for Zach.  

Wilson should have slid, he had the opportunity but instead tried to get more yards.  If he was at all concerned about his knee that would have been even more of a reason to throw it away or slide.  It’s obvious he feels he has a lot to prove and wants to win, and that’s all great.  You just don’t take those risks in preseason.  If he wants to be a long time starter in the nfl he’s got to play smarter. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wilson should have slid, he had the opportunity but instead tried to get more yards.  If he was at all concerned about his knee that would have been even more of a reason to throw it away or slide.  It’s obvious he feels he has a lot to prove and wants to win, and that’s all great.  You just don’t take those risks in preseason.  If he wants to be a long time starter in the nfl he’s got to play smarter. 

When you’re a professional athlete running is not considered a risk. This would be a fair criticism if he exposed himself to a hit. Also he did “slide” as soon as he felt something in his knee. Would you have the same criticism of Wilson if his knee buckled when running out of bounds? Because it’s the same thing. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

When you’re a professional athlete running is not considered a risk. This would be a fair criticism if he exposed himself to a hit. Also he did “slide” as soon as he felt something in his knee. Would you have the same criticism of Wilson if his knee buckled when running out of bounds? Because it’s the same thing. 

He didn't  slide, he made a cut to keep running and fell. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wilson should have slid, he had the opportunity but instead tried to get more yards.  If he was at all concerned about his knee that would have been even more of a reason to throw it away or slide.  It’s obvious he feels he has a lot to prove and wants to win, and that’s all great.  You just don’t take those risks in preseason.  If he wants to be a long time starter in the nfl he’s got to play smarter. 

The knee not being fully stable and the brain being concerned aren't the same thing.   Players have none contact injuries all the time.  They aren't aware of the underlying cause. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

When you’re a professional athlete running is not considered a risk. This would be a fair criticism if he exposed himself to a hit. Also he did “slide” as soon as he felt something in his knee. Would you have the same criticism of Wilson if his knee buckled when running out of bounds? Because it’s the same thing. 

My issue with the play is that wilson could have and should have run out of bounds.  He had the opportunity but instead chose to turn the play inside to get more yards.  If it were a regular season game i get it but given that he’s had problems with his knee, and given that it was only preseason, the clear decision was to either throw it away or run out of bounds.  He had to know that whatever he wanted to accomplish in that game, safety was first.  

In the context of the game, i think he was overly anxious to undo the mistake he made on the prior series.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Guys, this doesn't  mean anything other than he can stress his knee for short periods of time. A game isn't a short time but on the other hand, our D is out there most of the time so.....

For sure. They should probably shelve him until 2023 to be safe. He could get hit if he plays in a game.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

He made a cut, felt something, and gave himself up. He could have made the same cut trying to avoid someone on the sideline. 

This was not an intentional slide. If you are saying it was intentional because he felt excruciating  pain in his knee, that is the same thing anyone does, he felt pain and went to the ground. You are framing this as if he planned to slide.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

For sure. They should probably shelve him until 2023 to be safe. He could get hit if he plays in a game.

Barry, you aren't this dumb. My girlfriend is recovering surgery to reattach two ligaments in her ankle. It is her foot she uses to drive. It took 7 weeks before she could drive herself on the 5 minute car ride to physical  therapy. She has to drive about 40 minutes to work. She just tried that this past Tuesday and when she got home she was cursing like a sailor that she was in so much pain and she took 6 Tylenol during the day. I am sure this is the same thing for Zach. Doing these short drills just means he is able to do them like my girlfriend  is able to drive for short periods, but it is very different  when you are doing it for a sustained period. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, it was a non contact injury and not close to hero ball.  
 

Actually it was. He should have run straight to the sideline and out of bounds, instead he turned back in to try to gain more yards and he was only not hit because  his knee gave out before the two defenders got there. Had he stayed on his feet, he was going to take contact. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

One more time, it was hero ball, and unnecessary.

You can say it as many times as you want but running to an open area of the field and never getting touched is not hero ball.  Without the injury not one person here would complain about ZW playing hero ball.

He got injured and that sucks but if he ran and got injured in week one I wouldn’t feel any differently.  It’s football, players get injured.  Doesn’t require blame every time it happens

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He could have run out of bounds, which would have been the smart play. Instead, he decides to play hero ball in a meaningless preseason game. I would have had no problem with this if it were a regular season game with the game within reach. There is ZERO reason for a starting QB to put himself at risk in a MEANINGLESS game.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually it was. He should have run straight to the sideline and out of bounds, instead he turned back in to try to gain more yards and he was only not hit because  his knee gave out before the two defenders got there. Had he stayed on his feet, he was going to take contact. 

Actually it wasn’t.  He injured his knee planting his foot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You can say it as many times as you want but running to an open area of the field and never getting touched is not hero ball.  Without the injury not one person here would complain about ZW playing hero ball.

He got injured and that sucks but if he ran and got injured in week one I wouldn’t feel any differently.  It’s football, players get injured.  Doesn’t require blame every time it happens

You can repeat your case as many times as you wish as well. Zach Wilson should not be playing hero ball in pre-season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Barry, you aren't this dumb. My girlfriend is recovering surgery to reattach two ligaments in her ankle. It is her foot she uses to drive. It took 7 weeks before she could drive herself on the 5 minute car ride to physical  therapy. She has to drive about 40 minutes to work. She just tried that this past Tuesday and when she got home she was cursing like a sailor that she was in so much pain and she took 6 Tylenol during the day. I am sure this is the same thing for Zach. Doing these short drills just means he is able to do them like my girlfriend  is able to drive for short periods, but it is very different  when you are doing it for a sustained period. 

What does your girlfriends ankle ligaments have to do with an NFL QB?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually it wasn’t.  He injured his knee planting his foot. 

He injured his knee while planting his foot because he was trying to cut up the field. Running out of bounds would have not required a cut. I applaud your persistence, but you are wrong on this one. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You don't play hero ball in pre-season. You just don't, and Zach Wilson getting injured is exhibit A. 

He’s playing football, though. He cut to turn upfield to gain a couple of yards for his team, that’s hardly “hero-ball.” It could have happened dodging a pass rusher or could have happened actually running out of bounds. These are competitive guys and they compete sometimes. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, the Claw said:

He’s playing football, though. He cut to turn upfield to gain a couple of yards for his team, that’s hardly “hero-ball.” It could have happened dodging a pass rusher or could have happened actually running out of bounds. These are competitive guys and they compete sometimes. 

He was playing PRE-SEASON football, and yes it was hero ball. There are head coaches who don't want their players doing this in the regular season and they openly encourage their QB to slide whenever in doubt. 

I appreciate his effort, and his willingness to put himself at risk, but it was the wrong decision and it ended up hurting the team. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, the Claw said:

He’s playing football, though. He cut to turn upfield to gain a couple of yards for his team, that’s hardly “hero-ball.” It could have happened dodging a pass rusher or could have happened actually running out of bounds. These are competitive guys and they compete sometimes. 

Do we ever hear a complaint about it if the injury doesn't happen? I'm guessing not.

Zach is a dual threat QB who is going to do stuff like this. It's part of the reason he was drafted #2 overall. That's his game.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He could have run out of bounds, which would have been the smart play. Instead, he decides to play hero ball in a meaningless preseason game. I would have had no problem with this if it were a regular season game with the game within reach. There is ZERO reason for a starting QB to put himself at risk in a MEANINGLESS game.

 

You are NOT AUTHORIZED! We are the NFL. You thief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He was playing PRE-SEASON football, and yes it was hero ball. There are head coaches who don't want their players doing this in the regular season and they openly encourage their QB to slide whenever in doubt. 

I appreciate his effort, and his willingness to put himself at risk, but it was the wrong decision and it ended up hurting the team. 

I get what your saying about preseason, but should he have slid ten yards behind the line of scrimmage when there was a free rusher coming at him? Where does that end? We heard all offseason how “soft” everything was. At some point these football players have to play football. He had to juke one guy it’s not like he took on the entire LB core head first (like Strev who got praised for it if I remember correctly). 
 

Anyway, I get what you’re saying, I just disagree with the drama of calling it “hero ball.” If he didn’t hurt the knee we wouldn’t even be talking about this play. It seemed pretty pedestrian to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Much more fun to laugh than cry when your team sucks for 12 of the last 13 years.  

There's a big difference between joking and being sarcastic as opposed to being downright negative to every aspect of the Jets. And I'm not specifically talking about you , but there's a bunch of posters on here that need therapy.  

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You don't play hero ball in pre-season. You just don't, and Zach Wilson getting injured is exhibit A. 

Bottom line he's an NFL QB , if your afraid to let him do the things QB's do like run, then he shouldn't have taken a snap in a preseason game. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...