OT:New cheating standards

Bronx

22 minutes ago, Bronx said:

There was a similar story in the NFL last year with a sex toy and a team known for cheating.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah I follow chess and this is the big story the last few weeks.  Have not scene any real evidence that Nieman cheated though.  Magnus just took his ball and went home after losing.

I don't follow but my wife shared this story w/me today and I came away with this exact impression. Seems like a very specific accusation without any sort of evidence. The only thing they have, which is reasonable, is he played way above his level. But why is it taken to this specific LULZ details?

seems like someone is butt hurt

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah I follow chess and this is the big story the last few weeks.  Have not scene any real evidence that Nieman cheated though.  Magnus just took his ball and went home after losing.

Yep, seems extreme to withdraw over it. Also shady that it seems that chess.com is interested in buying play magnus and Hans conveniently gets banned the same week. 

Hans may very well have been cheating, but it’s not like young players are incapable of spikes in performance. The young Indian wave of grandmasters for instance and Alireza firouja as a few examples of people who are probably going to be at the top of chess in the next few years. But man, sure looks bad when the mainstream chess name is making accusations like this in such a loud manner, especially since he’s not defending the world championship. 

• Upvote 1