Sean Payton

TuscanyTile2

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh's not wrong that guys like Cimini revel in the dysfunction.

But to play the "media is out to get me card" to deflect from your pathetic win-loss record is ridiculous.

As if the big bad media or depressed fans are the reason your "WR1" has cement hands.

Even if we're not winning games, I expect us to be competitive this year.  We were competitive for 1 half last week and we were in full-on GT by the start of the 4th quarter.  That's no longer acceptable.  

• Upvote 1

Payton all but confirmed he's looking to get back in the game next season.

Go get him before somebody else does.

Former Saints coach Sean Payton said he would "have an interest" in coaching for "the right situation."

NewOrleans.Football's Mike Triplett interviewed Payton and asked him about a potential return in 2023. He didn't shy away from hinting at getting back in the game, though Payton did note he has other priorities on his mind right now. Still, most former coaches are cagey about a potential return, so Payton's comments all but confirm his desire to resume coaching. Payton has been the subject of rumors from the moment he retired, and it looks like he will don the headset once again within the next few seasons. 

1 minute ago, ganggreen305 said:

100000000000000% to Dallas.  No brainer.  

Unless Dallas has a surprisingly good year and it becomes a weird situation to fire Mike McCarthy.   I know Dak is out but Dallas is 1-1 and, while I didn't see the game, I think the backup played surprisingly well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unless Dallas has a surprisingly good year and it becomes a weird situation to fire Mike McCarthy.   I know Dak is out but Dallas is 1-1 and, while I didn't see the game, I think the backup played surprisingly well.  

Cooper Rush is somehow 2-0 for his career.

I think the Dallas OC is a keeper.  Kellen Moore knows what he's doing.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Payton all but confirmed he's looking to get back in the game next season.

Go get him before somebody else does.

woody gonna have to give payton half of his stake in johnson and johnson and let him pound him in his squishy ass weekly and payton still might not come here

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

There is really no other realistic outcome. Jerry will beat any price and doesn’t have to worry about dealing with a GM that will bristle at giving up some control.

No experienced coach has come here since basically what 197ish... with the exception of Parcells.  

There is a reason for that.

• Upvote 1

McCarthy had the top rated offense last year, won 12 games and the division and is now 1-1 this year when Dallas was supposed to fall on their ass.

It would not really sunrise me if Payton went to Dallas but he may be wary of an aging Jerry Jones.  (An McCarthy sure gets shi* on on this form and national media despite his team perfroming.)

• Upvote 2

On 9/15/2022 at 6:41 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

My fault for the duplicate thread.  But that's why the mods get paid the big bucks and have access to the rumored-to-be-extremely-fancy mod lounge.

Might I also suggest you check out this thread (that I started):

No need to be sorry. Some people become overly sensitive about threads and how many are started. This is actually a topic that many favor (myself included).

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Getting coffee was a very important qualification for a HC back then.

975650814_MaccCoffee.jpg.a02c76eeacf1142825baaf1ef0f1fd98.jpg

LOL

For somebody who drank as much coffee as Maccagnan, the dude still barely had a pulse

I mean, even on a pure caffeine diet, his pressers were like listening to a corpse

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

For somebody who drank as much coffee as Maccagnan, the dude still barely had a pulse

I mean, even on a pure caffeine diet, his pressers were like listening to a corpse

I still contend these photos were staged. He has an assistant and a janitor who's going to clean that office if he doesn't do it himself. He would have had to tell them to leave them on his desk. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, jgb said:

There is really no other realistic outcome. Jerry will beat any price and doesn’t have to worry about dealing with a GM that will bristle at giving up some control.

Could be, but isn't Jerry the one with control as owner and GM?

If it came down to total control, he's more likely to get that from the Jets than the Cowboys. Even Parcells didn't get complete & total control, after having just that with the Jets & leaving the Pats over not-having it. Jones typically obliged him, I'm sure, but if there was ever a pissing match over a player the owner wins. 

The truth is, unless the HC wants something/someone outlandish, the GM typically obliges requests anyway (or tries to make it happen). HCs aren't inherently experts at drafting, but they all discuss it. Likewise, the HC knows what type of players he needs to run the offense/defense he wants to run, so it's unusual for a GM to sign a player without first running it past the HC, let alone then signing him even if the HC adamantly says he does not want him. We've had a couple leaked cases in the past decade: Maccagnan/Gase (L.Bell, and frankly the draft that followed); Idzik/Rex (S.Hill), and disaster followed both (on top of ones we never heard about). I'm sure there were times the opposite happened, where the GM signed or drafted a good or even a great player the HC initially didn't want, but few coaches can leak that admission and still be heavily sought afterwards (e.g. Parcells / Terry Glenn). 

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not the HC/GM have a poor (if not outright toxic) relationship, and/or if they're on different timelines (e.g. say a GM wants to do a  complete gutting of the roster before beginning a more gradual rebuild, but his HC doesn't want to use up all his mulligan bad season(s) coaching a team severely lacking players with premiere talent and/or good veteran experience). That part of Douglas's tenure is already used up; he's not getting another total rebuild opportunity; even if one was somehow needed, I don't see another happening with Douglas unless it's a decade from now after years of prolonged success, so that won't get in the way.

There's one more factor with the Jets, that'll effectively mean no HC (let alone one with Payton's clout) should fear getting pushed around by Douglas as a GM: JD isn't going to get the chance to hire another HC if the next HC doesn't win here first. In the event of another failure he'd get fired before the HC - at best they'd get fired together. Even more so with the type of contract Payton will command and get, which will be a decade long at well more than double what Douglas gets paid, and Douglas isn't so dumb he that he suddenly can't add & multiply & wouldn't realize that.

Therefore it'd be in his interest to make it work & kiss Payton's ass if Woody decides that's who he wants to replace Saleh. There's a pretty recent history in Jets Land of the HC being able to lobby to Woody for dumping his GM while keeping the HC (it's the very reason he's employed here). Whatever the official hierarchy, with someone like Payton, Douglas then has to concede to him in every pissing match, or pray that Payton wins despite it. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be, but isn't Jerry the one with control as owner and GM?

If it came down to total control, he's more likely to get that from the Jets than the Cowboys. Even Parcells didn't get complete & total control, after having just that with the Jets & leaving the Pats over not-having it. Jones typically obliged him, I'm sure, but if there was ever a pissing match over a player the owner wins. 

The truth is, unless the HC wants something/someone outlandish, the GM typically obliges requests anyway (or tries to make it happen). HCs aren't inherently experts at drafting, but they all discuss it. Likewise, the HC knows what type of players he needs to run the offense/defense he wants to run, so it's unusual for a GM to sign a player without first running it past the HC, let alone then signing him even if the HC adamantly says he does not want him. We've had a couple leaked cases in the past decade: Maccagnan/Gase (L.Bell, and frankly the draft that followed); Idzik/Rex (S.Hill), and disaster followed both (on top of ones we never heard about). I'm sure there were times the opposite happened, where the GM signed or drafted a good or even a great player the HC initially didn't want, but few coaches can leak that admission and still be heavily sought afterwards (e.g. Parcells / Terry Glenn). 

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not the HC/GM have a poor (if not outright toxic) relationship, and/or if they're on different timelines (e.g. say a GM wants to do a  complete gutting of the roster before beginning a more gradual rebuild, but his HC doesn't want to use up all his mulligan bad season(s) coaching a team severely lacking players with premiere talent and/or good veteran experience). That part of Douglas's tenure is already used up; he's not getting another total rebuild opportunity; even if one was somehow needed, I don't see another happening with Douglas unless it's a decade from now after years of prolonged success, so that won't get in the way.

There's one more factor with the Jets, that'll effectively mean no HC (let alone one with Payton's clout) should fear getting pushed around by Douglas as a GM: JD isn't going to get the chance to hire another HC if the next HC doesn't win here first. In the event of another failure he'd get fired before the HC - at best they'd get fired together. Even more so with the type of contract Payton will command and get, which will be a decade long at well more than double what Douglas gets paid, and Douglas isn't so dumb he that he suddenly can't add & multiply & wouldn't realize that.

Therefore it'd be in his interest to make it work & kiss Payton's ass if Woody decides that's who he wants to replace Saleh. There's a pretty recent history in Jets Land of the HC being able to lobby to Woody for dumping his GM while keeping the HC (it's the very reason he's employed here). Whatever the official hierarchy, with someone like Payton, Douglas then has to concede to him in every pissing match, or pray that Payton wins despite it. 

I said some control not all

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I said some control not all

To a degree all GMs give up some control when they make a new hire. They can't just fire them, so they have to concede more with a new hire than with a HC who's in do-or-die territory in a given season.

With a name-HC like Payton it goes without saying, but tbh a GM should want to win more than he should want more control.

It's not like Douglas is batting 1.000 in the first place, and a lot of the reason he's drafted a bunch of good players recently is because he's been a master at generating twice as many high picks (half of which due to the team's own ineptitude, the cause of which he's played a key role as well). 

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2022 at 8:16 AM, freestater said:

I cannot possibly fathom that anyone who has followed this team for any length of time would think this is even a possibility. If we hear any rumors about the Jets being interested, believe me...its to drive up the price for Jerry. 

It’s funny how differently players and coaches view a team and how that teams fans view them.  Parcells was at the top of the charts as a HC and left a SB team to take over a one win Jets team.  If the Jets job opened up there would be a line for the job even if Wilson bombs.  All the young talent and a hungry NY fanbase, what’s not to love unless there’s a specific job you love more.  You’d still have to consider the Jets gig

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To a degree all GMs give up some control when they make a new hire. They can't just fire them, so they have to concede more with a new hire than with a HC who's in do-or-die territory in a given season.

With a name-HC like Payton it goes without saying, but tbh a GM should want to win more than he should want more control.

It's not like Douglas is batting 1.000 in the first place, and a lot of the reason he's drafted a bunch of good players recently is because he's been a master at generating twice as many high picks (half of which due to the team's own ineptitude, the cause of which he's played a key role as well). 

Peyton may well be the first $20M coach. The control issue aside, which you believe less an issue than I, I can’t see Woody writing that check. Although as owners get older… they tend to want to win more…

• Upvote 1